Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: having a set of barrels made

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Squarebridge
.300 member

Reged: 21/08/08
Loc: Tennessee
having a set of barrels made
      #189057 - 01/09/11 10:23 PM

I have a nice Huglu 20 ga. double that I like very much, and I would really love to have a mid-caliber set of DR barrels made for it. My favorite caliber would be .400-350. Is there someone here or elsewhere that can make up a nice set of barrels? I want to case the gun with both shotgun and rifle barrels so the new barrels will have to be made from scratch. I wouldn't expect London best work, but still nice attractive work that looks correct.

Is anyone doing this now? It seems like it would be a popular service. I know it wouldn't be cheap but should be quite doable.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: having a set of barrels made [Re: Squarebridge]
      #189060 - 01/09/11 11:34 PM

I know of one gentleman in New Zealand who can do it
and I dare say that Alex Beer on this forum from Tasmania could do it.

Not too sure if they are any help to you.

Kebco
.300 member

Reged: 22/05/06
Loc: PA, USA
Re: having a set of barrels made [Re: 500Nitro]
      #189217 - 05/09/11 01:05 AM

I suspect the cost would far exceed the value of the finished product. I am not a big fan of trying to make a shotgun into a rifle, especially something made in a 3rd world country. Probably the cheapest way would be to find another huglu and have the barrels Mono-blocked, regulated and fitted to the action. This would also give you the for end iron you need although finding a forearm wood to match and fit the rifle barrels would still need to be worked out.

Then you would also have a balance problem, if balanced as a shotgun it will be real muzzle heavy as a rifle. The stock on a shotgun is also different than on a rifle.

If you ordered a Chapuis, Verney-Carron, Merkel, or something similar you can figure as a good estimate that the 2nd set of barrels will add about 40% to the cost of the rifle.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: having a set of barrels made [Re: Kebco]
      #189221 - 05/09/11 02:38 AM

I looked at this when I ordered an AYA No.1 in 20 bore. They can add a pair of barrels in .44 Rem Mag but cost is GBP7k including regulation etc, not cost effective IMO, best, Mike

Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
Re: having a set of barrels made [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #189233 - 05/09/11 08:18 AM

I have a similar project underway with J White Gunsmithing in Guilford, Maine for 45-120 NE on a CZ 12 ga.. Cost is around US$3000.

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
Re: having a set of barrels made [Re: Squarebridge]
      #189241 - 05/09/11 09:36 AM

Bonanza has a Huglu 202B (20 ga) that has been converted to 405 Win. for US$2700 in the Classifieds. I don't know which model Huglu you have but if you could live with a 405 Win rather than 400-350 that may be a cheaper alternative.

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2636

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com