Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel????

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
panther
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/10
Loc: british columbia, canada
Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel????
      #188718 - 28/08/11 03:18 AM

Hello everybody,
I am thinking of buying a Chapuis Armes UGEX in 9.3X74R, just wondering what barrel length a 22" or a 24" is better for general hog, deer & black beer hunting. I am not too fimiliar with the DRs this will be my first. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 22" barrel compared to 24". What's your suggestion & opinion???
Thanks
Panther

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel???? [Re: panther]
      #188764 - 29/08/11 02:31 AM

My Chapuis is a 23.XXX" barrel. I don't think they make a 24". But this 23.XXX is very close. Mine balances just fine and is accurate.
If you're hunting very thick brush and the 2" more would be would be fine. Either one is going to be much shorter than a bolt gun with the same length barrel.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel???? [Re: AkMike]
      #188772 - 29/08/11 07:28 AM

I think the longer barrel balances better than the shorter barrel. That would be my choice.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Sikahunter
.224 member

Reged: 05/02/09
Loc: Delaplane, Va. U.S.A.
Re: Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel???? [Re: CptCurl]
      #188777 - 29/08/11 09:32 AM

I agree with Curl, but I have no strong feelings. Can't go wrong either way. If you are hunting in thick cover, the shorter will be better. Other than that I prefer getting the muzzle blast a bit further from my suffering ears and getting the front bead a bit further from my old eyes.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel???? [Re: Sikahunter]
      #189191 - 04/09/11 10:03 AM

A double with 24" barrels is still quite a compact rifle yet will allow a comfortable velocity of around 2350fps with the standard 286grn load.
This can be an advantage if shooting within the 200 to 300m range.
If all your shooting was taking place amongst the thickets and within 200m then the shorter barrels might be an advantage for ease of handling and travel.

Snowwolfe
.224 member

Reged: 11/12/05
Loc: Eagle River, Alaska
Re: Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel???? [Re: ozhunter]
      #189239 - 05/09/11 09:14 AM

My UGEX has a 23.5 inch barrel. If I had to do it all over again it would remain the same length.

AkMike
.416 member

Re: Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel???? [Re: Snowwolfe]
      #189309 - 06/09/11 12:53 PM

FYI, There's a short barreled Chapuis on Gunbrokers right now. (not mine )

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

panther
.224 member

#190998 - 29/09/11 04:15 PM

So, I got my Chapuis Armes DR, as anticipated it came with 22" barrel (actually 21.6" or 550mm). I am going to mount a Swarovski Z6 1-6X24 with EAW Pivot Mounts (#504-05150), does somebody has any experience with these mounts & does it require any gunsmithing or could be installed directly on the rib????

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #190999 - 29/09/11 04:39 PM

Hi Panther,

There are two 'Blocks' that once taken out fit the Recknagel mounts. You may notice that I said Recknagel as these are the ones made for the Chapuis under licence.

These bases holds the front 'Pivot' mount and the rear the locking device that you have chosen. There is a little fiddling to get it all aligned and there are some 'Spacer' inserts that may be needed.

If it were me, I would let the Chapuis Agent fit them for you as they have all the bit's needed.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

AkMike
.416 member

Re: Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel???? [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #191001 - 29/09/11 05:03 PM

If you have the same problems I had you'll drill the heads off the screws holding the dummy blocks to the rib. I broke several good `smith quality bits before resorting to the drill press. They torq them down very tight for such a small screw.

After they're out installation is a snap.

--------------------

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#191002 - 29/09/11 06:29 PM

Hi Mike,

Do your children know the game "Pass the Packet" ??

In this case I believe it should be.:

"Pass the Problem" as one slip if your not 100% sure of what your doing and your new Chapuis becomes second hand very fast. IMHO

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #191010 - 29/09/11 10:54 PM

28"

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

AkMike
.416 member

Re: Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel???? [Re: bonanza]
      #191016 - 30/09/11 01:44 AM

But I do know what I'm doing Jeff and the dealer said that this is what they have to do also.

--------------------

panther
.224 member

#191022 - 30/09/11 05:29 AM

It looks like a single piece rib 7 1/4" in length from the breach end perhaps, I am missing something can't see any 2 removable blocks on the rib. I want to post some photos of it but can't figure out how to do it???
And, NO, I've no intentions to make my new Chapuis Armes a secondhand DR, I would certainly get a competent gunsmith to have the job done.
Best Wishes
P

Edited by panther (30/09/11 05:54 AM)

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#191028 - 30/09/11 07:17 AM

Quote:

But I do know what I'm doing Jeff and the dealer said that this is what they have to do also.

Hi Mike,

It wasn't you that I questioned, it was our new D.R. owner as not all people have the expertise and that includes me.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

AkMike
.416 member

Re: Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel???? [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #191037 - 30/09/11 11:28 AM

Look for 4 screws on the rib ahead of the breech. The lines for the removable blocks are hard to see with the rolled engraving on the rib. The screw heads are engraved the same way as the rib. When the screws are out the spacers comes right out with little effort. The new bases just drop in that void. It's a well engineered set up that works great.

--------------------

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #192905 - 02/11/11 04:43 AM

Quote:

If you have the same problems I had you'll drill the heads off the screws holding the dummy blocks to the rib. I broke several good `smith quality bits before resorting to the drill press. They torq them down very tight for such a small screw.

After they're out installation is a snap.

To remove very tight screws there is a little trick that works very well most times! Simply place the barrels in a freezer for about an hour, and the screws will usually turn out easily, because the screws shrink from the cold! This is an old trick we learned years ago when the big magnum pistols became popular for hunting! The screws tightened at room temperature tended to back out from recoil in the cold weather of the winter hunting fields. The fix was to tighten the screws at room temp, then place the pistol in the freezer, and re-tighten while very cold. The reverse of this is to freeze a firearm to remove very tight screws as well!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

panther
.224 member

Re: Chapuis Armes 9.3X74R, What's better a 22" or 24" Barrel???? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #192960 - 03/11/11 12:59 PM

Hi,
I checked the barrel thoroughly, there are no pre-machined removable blocks on the rib.
Accorrding to Chapuis Armes web-site it's a New Barrel Contour 55cm design it doesn't mentions any pre-machined blocks on the rib like for 60cm barrels.
I sent the DR for scope mounting to 'The Shooting Edge' in calgary, Stefan their gunsmith, even he's unable to figure out how to install the mounts on this rifle. We are trying to contact Chapuis Armes but they haven't returned reply to our emails.
Anyone who has experience mounting scope on this kind of rib, please help.
Mounts EAW (#50405150), Scope Swarovski (Z6 1-6X24).
Thanks

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #192989 - 04/11/11 03:28 AM

Quote:

Hello everybody,
I am thinking of buying a Chapuis Armes UGEX in 9.3X74R, just wondering what barrel length a 22" or a 24" is better for general hog, deer & black beer hunting. I am not too fimiliar with the DRs this will be my first. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 22" barrel compared to 24". What's your suggestion & opinion???
Thanks
Panther

The difference between the 22” and 24” barrels will be virtually undetectable by you or the animal you shoot with the rifle! The balance will not be detectable between the two either! IMO you shouldn’t sweat the small stuff. Just get your rifle and shoot what ever Canada has to offer.

On the scope mount, if the smith you sent the rifle too is puzzled with how to mount a scope on your double rifle you need to send it to someone else! A full 80% of the GOOD gunsmiths outside Europe simply do not understand how a double rifle works, and sometimes make some very expensive mistakes when working on them!

First off any scope you mount on a S/S double rifle needs to be mounted in Quick Detach mounts, and mounted as low as is possible! The scope, rings, and mounts must be as light as possible as well! The reasons for these things are because of the way the S/S double rifle goes about performing regulation when fired! With the sights aligned on the aiming point when the trigger is pulled, the barrels are looking at different places that the sights, with the RIGHT barrel pointing at a place that is to the LEFT, and LOW, looking through the bore of the barrel, while the LEFT barrel will be looking at a place that is LOW and RIGHT looking through the bore of that barrel.

When the RIGHT barrel is fired the rifle recoils UP, and to the RIGHT, and the LEFT barrel when fired recoils UP, and to the LEFT. When the bullet exits the muzzle after what we call "BARREL TIME" the barrel being fired will be then pointing to a spot on the target that is just on it's own side of the aiming point of the sights. Now anything that retards or accelerates the "FLIP" of the fired barrel will result in effecting regulation. The weight, and height of the scope above the barrels adversely affect the muzzle flip to one degree or another! So not only where the scope is mounted, but how far forward, and how high makes a lot of difference as to how well the rifle will recoil with that scope mounted.

Zeroing the scope once mounted is also something most do not understand and is different from a single barrel rifle! The normal way of zeroing a scope on a single barreled rifle is to fire about three shot on the target, then move the scope from the point of aim over to the center of that three shot group! The difference is with a double rifle you need to adjust the scope to a point half way between the CENTERS of two barrel’s individual groups! This is so that the zeroed aiming point is half way between the barrel’s individual groups, pointing at a new aiming point that is now the center of two individual barrel groups to form a composite group of both barrels on the target!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6656

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com