Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lion shot with Paradox

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
jaz
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: Northeast US
Lion shot with Paradox
      #188502 - 25/08/11 08:22 AM

This is a short video of my buddy shooting a lion with a Paradox drilling, 12/12/360. The first shot went through the heart, the others were off the mark. The cat was attacking on pure adrenalin .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2LcrOzY8c

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: jaz]
      #188505 - 25/08/11 08:35 AM

Just shows that a heart shot isn't necessarily a stopper.

Nice gun.

Edited by 500Nitro (25/08/11 11:43 AM)

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
      #188514 - 25/08/11 09:56 AM

Is that the European 10 lb Paradox drilling that Morris Hallowell had about 6 years ago? The one I looked at was an ejector drilling, fabulous, but a full 10 lbs.

jaz
.300 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: CommandCar]
      #188518 - 25/08/11 11:22 AM

Good eye. He bought it from Morris as a European calibre drilling. Turns out it was made by Westley Richards
and was a double Super Magnum Explora over a 360 Westley Nitro! Quite a find. He also shot an elephant with same rifle.
JZ

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #188519 - 25/08/11 11:55 AM

It looks as though that lion was shot from some kind of raised platform, maybe even one on top of a vehicle. Where would such an arrangement be allowed?

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: xausa]
      #188520 - 25/08/11 12:07 PM

I'm not commenting on being shooting from a Vehicle as we don't know the circumstances of the whole situation.

I thought they were standing on the back of a truck type set up with the bars along the edge being the sides of the truck.

I then read what was below the video and it clearly says Truck and that the PH hit the metal bars with one of the bullets when the Lioness climbed up onto the back of the truck.

CommandCar
.333 member

#188524 - 25/08/11 02:46 PM

JAZ,

Interesting, that drilling was quite reasonably priced and a very slow mover. I was impressed with the workmanship, but thought the weight was excessive (AND it was missing the scope). I'm sure it tames the Explora recoil well. If I remember correctly it was marked Nowotny?

Would you (or he) share any loading data for the paradox? Also, how does it group at 50 and 100?

500Nitro
.450 member

#188525 - 25/08/11 02:50 PM

"Nowotny?"

Why does that name ring a bell ?

Anyone ?

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: 500Nitro]
      #188526 - 25/08/11 03:46 PM

of course, Nowotny in Prag - best gun and rifle maker
sounds much more plausible than made by Westley Richards

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: lancaster]
      #188531 - 25/08/11 05:11 PM

I wonder if Nowotny is related to Walter Nowotny, the Me. 262 pilot?

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: Ben]
      #188532 - 25/08/11 05:17 PM

Quote:

I wonder if Nowotny is related to Walter Nowotny, the Me. 262 pilot?

How common a name is it in the region ?

I see he was from Austria.

Edited by 500Nitro (25/08/11 05:19 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#188540 - 25/08/11 07:47 PM

you may know that the lands of the bohemian crown were since the deepest middle age part of the Holy Roman Empire and later the Habsburg monarchy. the name Nowotny is without doubt of czech origin but in the centurys before 1918 bohemians of czech nationality (in older times there were so many bohemians of german nationality like of czech nationality)were going to the capital Vianna to making some kind of career there.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #188567 - 26/08/11 02:01 AM

What load was used on the cat - 12 bore - what bullet weight? If .360 - what bullet weight?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: DarylS]
      #188572 - 26/08/11 03:31 AM

The comments from the YouTube video page:

We had been on the ground tracking with the bushman, lost tracks and were leaving the area. This lioness was not the target, but as you can see it was necessary to shoot.

We were alerted by the growl as we slowly drove through long grass. As my long time PH friend, Gene Small, later said "When a lion's tail moves that way, it's coming no matter what."

I was using a very unique, one of a kind rifle made by Nowatny. See Double Gun Journal Autumn 2007 article by Sherman Bell (Not English make). It is an ejector drilling designed especially for dangerous game hunting. The top barrels are 2 ¾ inch Super Magnum Explora for a Paradox style bullet and the bottom barrel is a 400-360 Westley Richards Nitro. My Super Magnum Explora regulated with 860 grain bullets at about 950 FPS. The 400-360 Westley fired a 310 Woodleigh bullet at 2125 FPS. The drilling has an original claw mount system and a modern Zeiss scope. Its weight is 10 pounds with scope. The rifle was purchased off of
http://www.gunsinternational.com

I only loaded the two top barrels (mistake). I shot the lioness in the chest, took the heart and the 860 grain bullet stopped under the hide in the other end. She came at us quite furiously and instantly. I fired again only hitting her through the skin on the back having no effect on the charge. Another P.H. fired and hit the side rail of the truck (hear the metallic ping on the video) at the last moment. She then jumped on the truck with us and I held her off with my empty gun barrel for one to two seconds until she fell off and expired from the heart shot. Her paws and mouth were only a couple feet from our faces and the truck and were covered in blood.

As a comment, the three trackers were nowhere to be found. But most importantly, PH Eugene Small (ES Safaris) never stopped filming even when this deadly threat was less than two feet away. That was a close one, we're not professional camera folks, this is just what happened.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
      #188581 - 26/08/11 05:19 AM

FOR CERTAIN, ONE WOULDN'T HAVE WANTED TO BE ON THE GROUND, DOING THAT SHOOTING, OR ONE WOULD HAVE HAD SOME SERIOUS WOUNDS FROM THE ENCOUNTER.

CommandCar
.333 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: NitroX]
      #188593 - 26/08/11 09:48 AM

JAZ,

I read Sherman's write up on the Nowotny. He reports that the 740 grain nei paradox slug crossed, so he shifted to the NEI 870 grain fosbery slug. He almost certainly used Unique, although does not mention so. He reports groups of 4 1/2" @50 yards with the paradox and rifle using iron sights. With the scope (+1 Lb), the paradox slugs crossed 2 1/2". He worked the rifle out to at least 100 yards, but the paradox was limited to 50 yards.

What is the evidence to suggest this drilling was originally regulated with the Super Magnum Explora round? I don't think it was made by Westley Richards and does not have SM Explora type rifled choke. I recall the bores were a little rough. I'd love to know the bore diameters and if they were touched up or not? Also, do you know the date of manufacture?

Does the Nowatny reside near us? I'd love to see how the Blue Dot rounds perform in it.

Edited by CommandCar (26/08/11 11:18 AM)

jaz
.300 member

#188599 - 26/08/11 11:29 AM

CC
Nowatny, was a very repected, CZ gun maker as previously mentioned. I do not know all the details but it is believed that Nowatny sub contracted WR to make the gun. The owner who used it in the video (the gun has been resold) is a most knowledgeable collector and also owns a Super Magnum Explora. He said to me when he picked it up he knew it was English...

I know the owner did other "tuning" to the gun after getting it back from Sherman. The 10 pounds makes sense to me as the Super Magnum is very difficult to shoot at 8 lbs., as the recoil is so fierce.

I know Ross shoots a "Duplex" load in his Super Magnum to get the proper velocity without exceeding pressure. Holland used a duplex load as well in their 40 grain guns. It was cordite and, not sure here, but I believe "gun cotton" or even a charge of black powder. There is also another proprietary powder that Tom Armbrust uses to get the proper velocity.

IMHO, there is no guns more difficult to load for than the Fosberry bore rifles.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #188600 - 26/08/11 12:35 PM

Is it common to road hunt in that district?

It's pretty common here except for bear, mountain lion and elk which normally require shank's mare.

Just curious.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

ellenbr
.300 member

Reged: 25/08/07
Loc: North Alabama
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: 9.3x57]
      #188613 - 26/08/11 04:21 PM

J. Novotny of Praha peddled several drillings with paradox type rifling but after the 1870-1880 period I am not aware of him sourcing the Brits for any components and have serious reservations that he would have sourced WR, although the possibility exists. A glance at the proofmarks will tell the tale. This J. Novotny peddled example here on NE was more than likely made by Franz Jaeger as it has his patented ejectors, which are seen on several of the Berlin contingent of firemarms merchants and that may be the link:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....=true#Post20443

I believe Johann(Jan?) Novotny of Praga hung out his shingle in 1865 and may have acquired the shop of Anton Vincent Lebeda(1797-1857) of Praze.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr
.300 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: ellenbr]
      #188614 - 26/08/11 04:38 PM

Me thinks the following image of the marks to be that of the one in question if the drilling was acquired from Hallowell & Co.:

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Edited by CptCurl (27/08/11 10:11 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#188620 - 26/08/11 06:59 PM

not soo good to see but looks like proofed in Prag

--------------------

ellenbr
.300 member

#188625 - 26/08/11 07:22 PM

Final proof in Praha but sourced in the white from Suhl or in a later state(note "Crown" over "U", encircled 12 & 118/35 pre-rifled bore diameter stamp). I don't know what mark(s) would lead one to think Westley Richards unless it was somehow the trademark Crowned JN(script). It was sourced in the white sometime prior to 1907 and I think Franz Jaeger's ejector patent to date around that, maybe earlier in 1905 but let me check. At some point it looks like it returned to Germany, or maybe the client was there, for the post 1912 Suhl Nitro proof. Maybe the Nitro proof was a condition of the sale.

I'm pretty sure I lifted these listing, possibly 1930s, of the Berlin firearm merchant contingent from a post by Martin Krause in 2006. Any of the listed concerns could have taken J. Novonty's order but I hedge my bets with Ludwig Schiwy & F.W. Vandrey & Company.

I'm not sure when Ludwig Schiwy acquired the (Fa.)F.W. Vandrey & Company, which may have had it's roots in Hamburg:

There are a couple examples of sporting arms with the name F.W. Vandrey & Company along side J. Novotny of Praha, so there was some type of business relationship there. My best guess is that J. Novotny of Praha placed an order with the F.W. Vandrey & Company firm, which Ludwig Schiwy may have owned at the time, and then the F.W. Vandrey & Company firm sourced a Suhl concern for the longarm. Some sources give that Ludwig Schiwy was born in the 1880s and if the early 1880s he could have hung out his shingle after obtaining his master's sheepskin at the time of this sporting weapon and acquired the F.W. Vandrey firm and established the main office, or the satellite office, in Berlin, where he was a member of the elite Diana hunting club of Berlin, which might account for his upper rung clients along with Hermann Goering. Several of Ludwig Schiwy examples have the Franz Jaeger ejector type and I would guess there was a close working relationship there. Also the muzzleshell type side frame reinforcement seems to have originated in Suhl. The period between WWI & WWII looks to be the pinnacle of the F.W. Vandrey & Company & Ludwig Schiwy's efforts. It appears he expired in the 1950s.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Edited by CptCurl (27/08/11 10:13 PM)

ellenbr
.300 member

#188705 - 27/08/11 11:56 PM

http://www.bonhams.com/eur/auction/16758/lot/139/

After some thought in being somewhat removed from my notes, I think Ludwig Schiwy was born circa 1880 and expired in the late 1950s. It appears that there was a strong sourcing relationship between the F.W. Vandrey & Company Hamburg & J. Novotny of Praze early on predating Ludwig Schiwy's acquisition of the firm. Also it appears there are several F.W. Vandrey & Company examples that wear the tradename Herold; therefore, a strong working relationship existed between the F.W. Vandrey & Company and Franz E. Jäger. This would go a long way in explaining the Franz E. Jäger type ejectors found on F.W. Vandrey & Company sporting arms. So for arguments sake let's say Ludwig Schiwy was born in 1880 then it is possible by 1903 or 1904 he could have attained the rank of meister büchsenmacher and would have hung out his shingle at that point. At approximately the same time he could have acquired the F.W. Vandrey & Company concern and added the Berlin address to the F.W. Vandrey & Company Hamburg firm. There were pretty much 2 avenues in the sporting weapons realm: firearms merchant or the best of the best gunsmith with little recognition with the exception of those small marks found on the sporting weapons. The Suhl/Zella-Mehlis area had a small pool of the very best of the best mechanics and the rest of Europe sourced them for components as well as finished sporting weapons.

As a postscript, Ludwig Schiwy was reduced to an airgun retailer post WWII till the time of his demise. Quite a stoop from outfitting Hermann Göring to peddling airguns.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Edited by CptCurl (26/11/11 12:32 AM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #188726 - 28/08/11 07:35 AM

Nitro, as far as I am aware it is illegal to shoot any unwounded game from a vehicle in Africa, and also in most parts of the world, not sure what to make of this ? best, Mike (gamewardens on photosafaris and game culling etc excepted of course)

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
      #188742 - 28/08/11 05:32 PM

Quote:

you may know that the lands of the bohemian crown were since the deepest middle age part of the Holy Roman Empire and later the Habsburg monarchy. the name Nowotny is without doubt of czech origin but in the centurys before 1918 bohemians of czech nationality (in older times there were so many bohemians of german nationality like of czech nationality)were going to the capital Vianna to making some kind of career there.

Lancaster,

yes, qitue a part of Vienna is coming from Bohemia, see here : http://www.lyrics85.com/GEORG-KREISLER-TELEFONBUCHPOLKA-LYRICS/386633/

Also think about "Johann Springer, vormals Mathias Nowotny" in Vienna.

Regards,
fuhrmann

7Drams
.224 member

Reged: 07/03/09
Loc: Czech Republic
      #190640 - 24/09/11 09:26 PM

Proof marks are from Prague proof house. Last two digits are year of proof 1907. Foreigner proof marks could be on the gun too, they bought barrels and actions from abroad. As London gun makers bought from Birmingham etc. Novotny´s are old Czech gun makers family. Mathias 1783-1863)worked in Litomerice (LEITMERITZ) and his son Josef (1818-1876) worked there after him. Prague firm was founded by Jan Novotny in 1865; before he was trained at Lebeda, Mach and his uncle Jan. He worked for royal houses of Austria, Russia, Nederland, Italy, Montenegro, Serbia; really one of the best gun maker of his time. After his death in 1893 was the firm took over by his widow Marie Novotna. After 1904 was the firm known as Antonin Novotny (1871-1938) Antonin was son of Jan.
Uncle of Jan Novotny found firm in Vienna, his follower is Springer of Viena supplier of Habsburg’s.

Regards from Prague

ellenbr
.300 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: 7Drams]
      #194493 - 22/11/11 01:48 PM

M4 forwarded me the WR site with a Novonty with Franz Jäger ejectors: http://www.westleyrichards.com/gun/used_guns_2_product.php?id=26439. I suspect the Vandrey company played some roll.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: xausa]
      #195036 - 27/11/11 11:47 PM

Quote:

It looks as though that lion was shot from some kind of raised platform, maybe even one on top of a vehicle. Where would such an arrangement be allowed?

SA

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #195037 - 27/11/11 11:51 PM

Quote:

The comments from the YouTube video page:

This lioness was not the target, but as you can see it was necessary to shoot.

What a load of s@#t

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: ozhunter]
      #195068 - 28/11/11 07:03 AM

Ozhunter, it must have been wounded before, no one is going to stick a video of themselves shooting a lion from a truck surely ? ( and it would still be mumbly if it was, isn´t there a 200yd limit on vehicles ?) best, Mike

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #195070 - 28/11/11 07:32 AM

Quote:

Ozhunter, it must have been wounded before, no one is going to stick a video of themselves shooting a lion from a truck surely ? ( and it would still be mumbly if it was, isn´t there a 200yd limit on vehicles ?) best, Mike

I disagree.

Have no idea if the lion is question was shot "fair chase" or not {have my own opinions} but people post all sorts of rubbish on youtube and what not and then doctor the notes with a good story. So, the fact that they were willing to post it says nothing about the veracity of the story.

Just my $.02.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
      #195109 - 28/11/11 12:46 PM

This video has been around for well over 7 years. Who cares about the rifle. This is not hunting but shooting at it's worst. Sorry but this little video clip is horse shit. I've encountered lioness with cubs at this range on foot while hunting buff in Zim. They growled at us and we walked around. "As you can see, we had to shoot"! Bullshit!

ellenbr
.300 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: HogPilot]
      #195116 - 28/11/11 02:24 PM

I for one care who made/peddled the sporting weapon as apparently do others. What the end user does with it is their own business and they are left to their own devices.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

500Nitro
.450 member

#195117 - 28/11/11 02:34 PM

ellenbr

The problem with leaving it to the end user is that their won't be much left to shoot if that's the case.

We shoot a fair bit from vehicles in Aust and it makes it a damn sight easier to kill multiple animals, and quickly.

Every man and his dog all over the world would just drive around if no limits were put on it.

edit
Would it be called "Dangerous game hunting" if you hunted everything from the back of a truck ?

Isn't more than half the fun being on the ground,
stalking, tracking, looking, shooting ?

Just my HO.

Edited by 500Nitro (28/11/11 09:11 PM)

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #195125 - 28/11/11 05:35 PM

I believe the details of the hunt are unembellished and I don't believe this video has been circulating for "more than 7 years".

The question on the Nowatny would be was it made or licensed by WR for their propriatary cartridges, in particular the Super Magnum Explora. If the gun had original 2 3/4" chambers it was certainly chambered for a magnum paradox cartridge but which one?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

HogPilot
.300 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: gatsby]
      #195139 - 28/11/11 06:45 PM

Quote:

I believe the details of the hunt are unembellished and I don't believe this video has been circulating for "more than 7 years".

The question on the Nowatny would be was it made or licensed by WR for their propriatary cartridges, in particular the Super Magnum Explora. If the gun had original 2 3/4" chambers it was certainly chambered for a magnum paradox cartridge but which one?

I have a promotional DVD from a South African Outfitter that was given to me in 2004 when I was researching my first Safari. This clip is on that DVD so YES, it's been around a while!

For a very detailed discussion of the situation surrounding this clip, check out AR under the "Shooting Lions from a Truck" thread.

So if the rifle in question is more interesting to you than the ethical questions raised by shooting a lioness at close range from the relative safety of the back of a truck with a "cage like" rail and chair system often used for shooting from the truck in SA, then that's just fine.

But let's not go on a hunt together, OK?

gatsby
.375 member

#195143 - 28/11/11 07:12 PM

I would love to see that promo video annotated with dates. I have good reason to beleive the loads for the Nowatny were assembled after 2004.
I take note of your opinions,conclusions and your ethical standards and will give them due consideration.

jaz
.300 member

#199088 - 10/01/12 12:52 PM

Hog Pilot - you are wrong nd Gatsby is correct.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #199090 - 10/01/12 01:35 PM

this is a much better clip of a bloke on the ground not hiding in the ute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=oSKifJ32r2Q

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

gatsby
.375 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: gryphon]
      #199149 - 11/01/12 11:40 AM

Quote:

Oh, but he uses a bolt gun.

I like these old photos, seems to show folks hunting/hiding on the backs of elephant while hunting tiger wish there was a video

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Edited by CptCurl (11/01/12 10:53 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #199153 - 11/01/12 12:33 PM

Quote:

Hog Pilot - you are wrong nd Gatsby is correct.

NOT so sure about that--but dont have enough evidence to form an accurate opinion...

however, IMHO, watching the initial video of this..my initial response was more in line with Hog Pilot...each to their own..but personally that didn't look like hunting to me..just say'n..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gatsby
.375 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: Ripp]
      #199160 - 11/01/12 02:19 PM

Ripp,
I know this hunt did not occur in 2004, that is a fact as I supplied some of the ammo components. I read and accepted what was written by the shooter about the incident. I ventured an opinion on the Nowatny. Where am I wrong?

--------------------

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #199165 - 11/01/12 03:24 PM

Can someone impartial examine HogPilot's DVD? Whether ammo was made for the drilling later than 2004 may not be relevant - the lion might have been shot with earlier loads.

Edited by Paul (11/01/12 03:27 PM)

gatsby
.375 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: Paul]
      #199166 - 11/01/12 03:33 PM

Shooter only owned the gun for a month or so prior to when I supplied the castings.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#199167 - 11/01/12 03:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, but he uses a bolt gun.

And he does a ripping job of it too,stands fast and keeps her spouting,top man 10/10 no matter what he was using.

--------------------

gatsby
.375 member

#199173 - 11/01/12 05:00 PM

Oh, but he only uses a bolt gun
Should have put a smiley on that. I not sure we see the conclusion of the film, looks like the lion makes contact

--------------------

HogPilot
.300 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: Paul]
      #199174 - 11/01/12 05:40 PM

Quote:

Can someone impartial examine HogPilot's DVD? Whether ammo was made for the drilling later than 2004 may not be relevant - the lion might have been shot with earlier loads.

Guys, it is NOT my video clip. I just happen to have a promotional DVD given to me by a South African Outfitter who is now out of business. He was also NOT involved in this clip. He just got this clip from a common editor who had it and put it into his promotional DVD as he also offered SA Captive Bred Lion "Hunts". I do not know who posted this clip on youtube.

I know when he gave me the DVD so I stand by my post, but my point is not about the timeframe. If you would like to argue about and focus on the timeframe, please go right ahead. That was not my point. The comment intended is that it is not new. Also not my point. My point is, IMO, I find the practice of shooting the lioness out of the back of the truck, from within the cage, (not a true cage but rather the shooting set up common to the South African rigs), to be less than sporting. So much so that I don't care about the rifle or ammo used. If you do, that's fine. Furthermore, it was not a do or die situation as portrayed in the "We had to shoot" comment. I've walked up on Lionesses with cubs or entire prides hunting the same herd as me several times while hunting buffalo in the Zambezie Valley. I've been mocked charged by them and warned off with a menacing growl. Simply backing away and changing course has sufficiently calmed the situation without ever having to fire a shot.

Look, I have nothing against the Captive Bred Lion Hunting in South Africa. I've participated in 2 of them. But I don't 1) State that it is a real lion "Hunt" as it is not. Anyone who has been on one of these and is honest will tell you the same; 2) Make up a story about how dangerous, exciting, etc. the "Hunt" was because, they are not; and 3) By law, these hunts are supposed to be conducted on foot, not from the back of the truck. Having a bit more knowledge now about hunting Africa (7 Safaris, 4 to SA and 3 to Zim, all of which included multiple species of dangerous game), I would not desire to participate in another SA Lion "Hunt". I do have plans to hunt Lion again, but either in Zim or Moz for a wild Lion.

There are many hunters who have been told a made up story of how their South African Lion is a problem animal that has been killing the other lions, ranch hands, antelope, etc. (insert your own victim) only to be taken advantage of as their lion was drugged and released a couple of days ahead of time at best. These cats have been hand fed for their entire life and do not know how to fend for themselves.

It's really a matter of telling the outfitter what kind of mane you require, they secure the TOPS permit, and release it for your "Hunt". See pictures below. Again, I don't have an issue with the SA lions as they take the pressure off of wild lion quotas but the made up stories about how "We had to shoot it" and such is insulting to the intelligence of anyone who knows how these operations are conducted. In my case, it was my first Safari in 06. I was told the Lion had killed another lion so they wanted me to shoot this one because he was a problem animal and offered at "A Discount". We drove around the ranch for 2 hours and when the PH figured we had "hunted" long enough, we headed to a completely different portion of the ranch where we immediately found his track. Turns out this was the area where it was released the previous day or two. It stayed put hoping for the truck to return with food. Shortly thereafter, the Lion appeared on the road, next to the fence, and began running toward the truck. The PH stated that it was attacking and to get into the truck. As we drove past it, it ran after the truck for 300 to 400 yards. I later figured out it was thinking we were there to feed it. Just like a Cow following a rancher. Once we were safely away from the cat, we got out and approached it on foot. This is where it can become dangerous as these cats are hungry and not afraid of humans because they have been raised around them all their lives.

Here is one you can choose for about $25,000.

This one we named Baylor. $40,000, the cost of 1 year tuition and board at Baylor University.

This one you would probably need to win the lottery for. But then it's not a lion and where can you import it to?

When I left SA that year, I thought I had hunted Lion. Even booked a later Lioness "hunt" for my son. It went down exactly the same way the first one did. Same story and everything. Had it been me hunting, I would have called it off as I had figured it out by this time. Being my son's graduation present, I didn't say anything and let him go forward with the "hunt". So I got taken a bit on this deal.

If anyone is interested in doing a Captive Bred South African Lion "hunt", here is what I would recommend in order to have a reasonable experience. First, insist your outfitter be upfront about the conditions of the hunt. There are some very limited opportunities to hunt wild Lion in SA, but they tend to be around the Kruger area and are usually escapees. Have the outfitter show the paperwork showing when the lion was drugged and released into the enclosure you are hunting. That way, you'll know you aren't hunting a groggy animal. Second, insist that the entire hunt be conducted on foot from the time you enter the enclosure. This will make you work for your trophy a bit as these places can be quite large. In addition, the cat will not hear the truck coming and assume it's feeding time. Encountering the cat by walking up to it (tracking) without the noise of the truck to alert him will result in the cat having a completely different disposition and attitude toward you. These things MIGHT make the experience a bit more sporting in my opinion. Considering that wild lion hunts usually require 18 to 21 days minimum, and often go unsuccessful, resulting in a true wild Lion trophy being one of, if not THE, hardest trophy to acquire in today's Africa, it's obvious that the couple of hours or so required to achieve 100% success on the SA Lion operations leaves something to be desired in the experience department!

But please don't simply drive up to a recently released and possibly still drugged lion while on the back of the Bakkie, and come up with come cockamamie BS story about how you had to shoot it, while it intermittently dozed and growled a bit, then expect folks to hold you in high regard as an accomplished and ethical hunter for posting your exploits on YouTube where the Anti's can compile it into their propaganda. Then again, if you disagree, that's fine. What kind of rifle was that again?

Edited by CptCurl (11/01/12 10:54 PM)

gryphon
.450 member

#199175 - 11/01/12 05:43 PM

I agree re the contact/follow through then he is seen standing on the lion and looks unscathed.I like his style of unflinchingly feeding the rifle as the lion is coming...I think many would drop their bundle under the same conditions ha ha.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#199181 - 11/01/12 08:07 PM

HogPilot that was a good honest assessment of yours. Certainly not new by any means but there are not too many people that come out with the "i had a canned lion hunt" tale so many of them are hidden.
Shame on the operators!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199187 - 11/01/12 10:18 PM

Personally I would be worried that if the canned lion breeding industry was stopped, it would create a much higher risk of lion as a species becoming extinct.

With so many lion behind wire being preserved for the canned industry it must provide a reserve for the species in the long term.

Truly wild lion are under habitat pressure, competition with cattle or plains game species hunting, and poisoning to remove them etc. They need a lot of space and with the human species ever over-breeding and needing more space ...

Also if canned lion hunters could no longer buy canned lion hunts, even more pressure on the wild lion populations.

Not commenting at all, on the ethics, sporting "value", etc of canned lion hunting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

#199196 - 12/01/12 01:19 AM

Quote:

Personally I would be worried that if the canned lion breeding industry was stopped, it would create a much higher risk of lion as a species becoming extinct.

With so many lion behind wire being preserved for the canned industry it must provide a reserve for the species in the long term.

Truly wild lion are under habitat pressure, competition with cattle or plains game species hunting, and poisoning to remove them etc. They need a lot of space and with the human species ever over-breeding and needing more space ...

Also if canned lion hunters could no longer buy canned lion hunts, even more pressure on the wild lion populations.

Not commenting at all, on the ethics, sporting "value", etc of canned lion hunting.

Agree with all of the above---and have heard that same argument for years as well..But also do agree with Hog Pilot as was also my point..not/don't care about the time frame of when it happened or type of weapon used...but moreover how it was all done..IMHO, don't consider that hunting..if you want to just go out and shoot something then do it, but it certainly isn't hunting in my book...each to their own but not for me..

Hog Pilot...unless there is more than one place with the same lions and a tiger, I was at that same place..actually stopped in there on my way back to the airport in Kimberly..have very similar photos ..have to search my system..know I have them somewhere..

Guess it truly is a small world...

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (12/01/12 02:09 AM)

HogPilot
.300 member

#199203 - 12/01/12 04:12 AM

Ripp,

It really is a small world of folks who have actually been to Africa on Dangerous Game hunts. We often find that we know the same folks. I know some of your friends in the industry. I haven't hunted with Chifuti but I know Tim and Dave. I hunt with CMS which operates the Dande Safari Area now and is right next to Chewore North where Andrew and Paul are. They obviously know each other as well.

Nitro,

I certainly did not mean to imply that the canned lion industry should go away. I stated that the existence of these operators helps reduce the pressure on wild lion quotas. We all know that with the often corrupt African leaders in place, should pressure to increase wild lion quota be exerted, the increases would more than likely be granted in the name of $'s, placing the survival of the species at great peril.

The point of my post is really more about the operators being forthcoming in their practices. I just don't see the necessity to bull shit a client into believing something that is false. I think it comes down to laziness and $'s in the end on the part of the Lion operators. For example:

1) Guy comes over to hunt plains game on his first Safari. While in camp, PH says, hey, we just got word of a problem Lion available at a discount. Do you want to go hunt it. "Sure, I thought Lion hunting was much more expensive than that, what a great opportunity". So you drive to the area, the operator tells you how this lion came into his ranch by crawling under the fence and is now killing his expensive Kudu and Nyala and could you please take care of it, chop chop! The PH drives you around until he sees "the edge" in your eyes wain a bit, then heads over to where the lion was dropped off and you "HAVE TO SHOOT IT" from the back of the truck as it "attacks" the truck when in reality, it was just walking up to be fed.

2) Guy comes over to hunt plains game on his first Safari. While in camp, PH says, hey, we have lion available here. It's not the same as a true wild Lion hunt such as in Tanzania where you shoot 2 or 3 Buffalo and maybe a Hippo for bait and spend up to 21 days sorting out the lions that come to the bait, if any do at all. It's also $15,000 to $25,000 here as opposed to $100,000 or so in Tanzania, $50,000 or $60,000 in Zim. These are captive bred, similar to your Whitetail ranches back in the States, that have been released into the same type of enclosure you have been hunting this week. We will track the lion on foot from the time we enter the area so it can be quite challenging but you can expect to get your cat within the first day, maybe 2 since we are completely on foot. Just be aware that even though these are captive bred cats, they can be quite dangerous because of being raised around man all their lives, they have no fear of man.

IMO, the second scenario would have more hunters say "no, that's not for me", but would still sell enough Lion "hunts" to satisfy their available stock. I say stock because that really is what it is, stock animals. But, that same second scenario would provide a better experience for the hunter as he would have to work for it a bit being on foot instead of Diesel stalking for a couple of hours. In addition, there is no deception involved and the hunter doesn't have to have some made up story to tell his friends back home. Sooner or later, he will tell that story to a hunter who has hunted wild Lion and will be put straight!!

I don't want to see the SA Lion Operations go away. I just want them to stop the BS and make it respectable. It really wouldn't be that hard to do.

gryphon
.450 member

#199206 - 12/01/12 05:17 AM

Quote:

One actual "problem" Nitro with captive lions is that they are such prolific breeders in zoos that they eventually become a problem.
If I remember rightly they either birth control the females or kill off the young.There are so many that other zoos cant accept them apparently.
I have to add for me shooting one of those magnificent penned male lions for 25-40 grand is just not on,whether I had the money or not....like what for?

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#199213 - 12/01/12 06:03 AM

Been reading this one with interest. This topic reappears from time to time.

Let's face it, much hunting {most, actually, in terms of numbers of hunters hunting} in "Africa" is canned if you include garden run SA ranch hunts in the mix. And I really don't care if the ranch is 4,000 hectares. If it's high wire, it's canned, in a legitimate manner of speaking.

For me the issue boils down to whether a fellow is hunting/shooting/culling for the TRUE EXPERIENCE OF THE SPECIFIC EVENT...

...or...

...if he is doing whatever he's doing as an act of bravado or exposition of his "manliness" or some such thing and recounts the story after the fact as such an act of courage.

If it is the former then I say "Who Cares?" and maybe even depending on the hunt, "Sounds like fun!". Like Nitro said, shooting lions in a cage probably maintains the lion's existence on planet earth {maybe a little exaggeration}. Heck, look at what happened to blesbok when high wire gunning became popular in RSA and look at the fake deer hunting industry that exists in Texas!

But, if it is the latter, well, then I say "Bullshit". There really are VERY few hunts of any type that have the TRUE promise of danger, if you actually count the number of actual injuries sustained in said hunting, and African hunting more specifically. Not over-the-beer "my heart was thumping", but rather, lists of injuries and deaths as a high percentage of those taking part in the activity.

So, in the final analysis, comparing hobbies with the likelihood of injury, if a guy wants to truly mix with those who get busted up on a regular basis, he should take up rodeo or follow my daughters on the Omoksee circuit...

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (16/01/12 01:14 AM)

gryphon
.450 member

#199218 - 12/01/12 09:37 AM

Quote:

Well its not the pen hunters drawing attn to themselves much!

Have to ask 9.3...... helmets?

BTW to those that like it the horsey stuff......

Merrijig's 35th Rodeo
A full Rodeo with all events

Held on Saturday March 10 2012 - Labour Day weekend at McCormacks Lane, Merrijig 3723.

Showcasing Australia's best rough riders competing in a thrilling spectacle against the back drop of the Victorian High Country, only 15 minutes drive from Mansfield.
Gates open 2.00 pm and Main event starts at 5.30 pm

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199226 - 12/01/12 01:01 PM

Quote:

Let's face it, much hunting {most, actually, in terms of numbers of hunters hunting} in "Africa" is canned if you include garden run SA ranch hunts in the mix. And I really don't care if the ranch is 4,000 hectares. If it's high wire, it's canned, in a legitimate manner of speaking.

Rubbish.

"Canned" is a term relating usually to captive breeding programmes where the animal is not wild as it has been bred in captivity and usually released only a short time before it is shot.

"High fence" hunting is usually termed "non fair chase".

The animals behind high wire may well have been bred in the wild and captured and re-released into high fenced properties, bred in the property itself, or "canned" if bred in small enclosures and released into a high fenced property.

From my experience hunting in a high fenced property can actually be harder than in the wild, if the pressure on the animals has been harder. In this case I can say I would much rather hunt free range as the game is actually easier to hunt.

Or it can be easy if the animals were for example fed from vehicles (as in a drought). In this case I declined to continue hunting on the property.

A hunter with his eyes open can usually tell the difference.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199227 - 12/01/12 01:13 PM

Quote:

I have to add for me shooting one of those magnificent penned male lions for 25-40 grand is just not on,whether I had the money or not....like what for?

I agree. Not for me either. I think they look very sad in their enclosures too.

I wonder about the prices named though. I thought they were FAR CHEAPER as canned hunts than a wild hunt say in Tanzania or Zimbabwe?

As low as $10,000, when a wild hunt used to start from $25,000 and well up?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199228 - 12/01/12 01:19 PM

Quote:

Nitro,

I certainly did not mean to imply that the canned lion industry should go away. I stated that the existence of these operators helps reduce the pressure on wild lion quotas. We all know that with the often corrupt African leaders in place, should pressure to increase wild lion quota be exerted, the increases would more than likely be granted in the name of $'s, placing the survival of the species at great peril.

The point of my post is really more about the operators being forthcoming in their practices. I just don't see the necessity to bull shit a client into believing something that is false. I think it comes down to laziness and $'s in the end on the part of the Lion operators.

Yes I know that.

And I'm not defending canned lion hunting one bit. Just a "by-product" of the practice is a lot more lions in total in Africa.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#199238 - 12/01/12 02:17 PM

Nitro, you can parse the terms all you want.

Shooting a bunch of critters of whatever ilk inside a fence of whatever acreage is canned.

Good grief, there's big enough hunting country for you there in Australia to know the difference between a true fair chase hunt and a duck shoot in a bucket.

Lions in a cage or plains game in a high fenced ranch is a mere few steps apart.

Anyone who has done both certainly knows it's true, and anyone who's done one or the other that can walk and chew gum at the same time has enough smarts to infer the same.

--------------------

HogPilot
.300 member

#199242 - 12/01/12 02:32 PM

John, on the issue of the prices I quoted, realize that the specimens I showed in the photos are exceptional animals. The average male lion will not have the type of mane these have and the prices will be significantly less.

That sounds like a sales pitch doesn't it. Well, that certainly is not my intent. Just clearing up the price issue from my experience with these operators.

You would be damn had pressed to find a wild lion hunt for $25,000 anywhere. The daly rate in Zim averages $1,800 per day for 18 days minimum. Trophy fee will run $7,500 to $10,000. In addition, all bait animals must be paid for. Baiting for Lion is not like baiting for Leopard. Leopard are solitary animals and an Impala may last 2 or 3 days with an actively feeding cat. Lion are more likely to hit the bait with the entire pride devouring an entire Buffalo in 1 feeding. When you start shooting 2 or 3 Buffalo, even Buff Cows, or a Hippo, maybe even a tuskless elephant for bait, the $'s start jumping up there real quick. 2 Buff bulls at $3,000 each and a Hippo at $4,000 and you have $10,000 in bait. That will give you 6 baits to get started. If you only get sub adult males feeding or no cats feeding, these baits may need to be refreshed several times over the 18 day adventure.

$32,400 in daily rate, $10,000 in trophy fees, $10,000 in Bait and you are looking at $52,400 before any sundry costs, airfare, tips, or plains game to round out the hunt. That doesn't take into account the possible need to refresh the baits with additional animals. This is about the cheapest you find for a wild lion hunt.

Tanzania can easily be $3,500 to $4,000 per day for daily rates and require a 21 day license! Ouch!! Back when Botswana was still open for Lion, Jeff Rann offered a 30 day hunt for $130,000! Double Ouch!!

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #199243 - 12/01/12 02:43 PM

Much of the discussion here centers on canned lions.

Not my cup of tea, but does ANYONE have any evidence that this was a canned hunt, or even a lion hunt, or even took place in SA other than the 'style' of the truck? They do have wheels, you know, and can cross boarders.

I'm just asking.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

gatsby
.375 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #199257 - 12/01/12 05:27 PM

This thread was placed in "Paradox and Bore Guns" and titled "A Lion Shot with Paradox". There was a brief description of the events by the shooter placed on Youtube much of the dialogue devoted to the firearm and ammo used. Nothing was said about wild or canned hunt or derring-do or if this shooter was a novice lion hunter or someone who may have had several decades experience hunting dangerous game.
Bob,
I found interesting that if in fact the gun was chambered for the 730gr 1500fps Westley cartridge the round used on the lion was heavier and slower than a standard SME cartridge and wondered if the slightly lighter but faster cartridge been used it might have prevented the lion from attacking after being shot. I also wondered how many years it had been since a big cat was shot with a 12 bore paradox.

I only pointed out the date of the video to show if someone could be wrong by several years on a material fact what else might be conjecture and not fact.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#199293 - 13/01/12 01:48 AM

HogPilot,

Here are my photos of what I believe to be some of the same animals..

AS to the price of lion hunts I would have to agree with your assessment..lion hunts are very expensive at this point --I shot mine in 2008 in Zim with Chifuti--- Ian Gibson was the PH.. that was high enough-- got a quote from a outfitter in Tanzania in 2010 and he wanted $90,000 all in ..that is insane..IMHO...

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (16/01/12 01:15 AM)

HogPilot
.300 member

#199306 - 13/01/12 05:22 AM

The DVD was given to me by Dirk Faul of Ntshonalanga Safaris in December of 2004 as he stayed at my house the week prior to the 2005 DSC show. No mistake of material fact there.

Actually having hunted in South Africa and Zimbabwe instead of simply opining from my keyboard, it is obvious this little clip took place in South Africa on one of the South African Lion Operators properties. Wild lions in other countries will not sit still for a truck at this range as they do not expect to be feed! In addition, in the countries where wild lion are found, shooting from the back of a truck is illegal. This is only allowed in South Africa and possibly some areas of Namibia. So in the extremely remote chance, and I do mean extremely remote chance, that this took place outside of South Africa, the shooting from the back of the truck was at a minimum, ILLEGAL.

If this was not an example of diesel stalking a semi tame cat in South Africa, and it is, how do you square the comment "As you can see, we had to shoot", when in fact, the truck could have just continued driving. When the first shot is fired, the truck is stopped. I agree that the second shot "had to be fired" but the comment "as you can see, we had to shoot" is an embellishment.

What has happened here is that Gatsby's friend fell victim to the South African Lion Hunt deception as have so many others. Myself included. He made up a story to go along with the "as you can see, we had to shoot" so that he could convince himself that he had actually hunted lion. I'll bet that if asked his opinion today, he would have a different attitude, especially if he has hunted dangerous game outside of South Africa.

Gatsby, I really don't mean to get into a pissing contest with you. I also don't know of your hunting background. But I'll venture a guess that you haven't hunted dangerous game outside of South Africa. If you have, I am really surprised by your comment that you believe the narrative of this video clip is unembellished. If you haven't, I completely understand your statement that you believe the narrative of this video clip is unembellished.

If your friend insists to this day that "we had to shoot" when the truck could have just continued driving, then I would be less concerned about the difference of opinion on the date of this video clip and more concerned with what else your friend has misrepresented to you.

Again, I don't really have a huge problem with the SA Lion program other than it being done with deception and from the back of a truck. Why not just level with the hunter and do it on foot. Shooting a cat from the back of a truck when it expects to be fed is just unethical in my book. And again, if that is less important to you than the type of rifle used, let's simply agree to disagree and not share an African camp fire together.

Edited by HogPilot (13/01/12 05:39 AM)

HogPilot
.300 member

#199307 - 13/01/12 05:32 AM

Ripp,

Shingalina in the North West providence? Frikkie's place?

I think that is the same Tiger but I think the White Lion and the big boy are different cats. The big boy for sure as his facial structure is different as well as his mane composition. The White Lion's facial structure looks different as well but when I was there, they had 1 adult and 3 sub-adult White Lions. They also had 2 Tigers, a male and a female. My picture is of the male as he challenged us at the wire.

Funny, no facial scars and a mane that looks like they just came from the beauty shop. I think while they have them drugged before releasing them, they get a shampoo and a blow dry so as to be pretty for the post "hunt" photo op!

By the way Ripp, are you going to SCI in Vegas? If so, I'd like to meet and say hello.

gryphon
.450 member

#199311 - 13/01/12 07:00 AM

no facial scars.

That really is the pertinent point too.
Never been there to Africa but being a keen student of all things wild and after watching every doco ever made in the last fifty years on lions ,I cant ever remember seeing one without facial scars,they even get them from lionesses in their own pride let alone the take over boys that eventually turn up.

--------------------

gatsby
.375 member

#199346 - 13/01/12 12:36 PM

Hogpilot,
Your promo DVD from 2004 and the clip are separated by a couple of years or more. I was not concerned with the loading specifications of the Westley SME cartridge nor did I have the mold for the heavier bullet in 2004.
Call me naive but I do accept the explanation of the first hand shooter with reason and I do have an inordinate interest in the SME cartridge and guns chambered for them. I am sorry that is disturbing to you. You have told me twice that we won't be hunting companions, I get it.

--------------------

CommandCar
.333 member

#199387 - 14/01/12 04:10 AM

Quote:

I handled the Nowotny at Hallowell's shop in Livingston, MT about 2001, although it could have been as late as 2004. I removed the forend and examined it thouroughly. I remember the shot gun bores were a little rough, but the paradox rifling in good shape. The gun was noticably heavy. I think it was about $6k ($4-$8K).

There was absoutely nothing about the drilling that indicated a British origin. In fact, it looked extreemly continental. I do not recall the shot barrels being heavy like on a SM explora. Infact, the chamber areas were slim rather than beefy like on the SM Westley Richards I have examined.

Some may use the rifle chambering as evidence of British origin. 400/360 Westley Richards Nitro Express does sound English, but this cartridge also known as the 9x70R (Mauser) which does not.

I see the Paradox regulates by going heavy and slow. I wonder what would happen if either the 30 or 33 grain cordite loads were tried. These can be duplicated, safely, with regular 740ish Fosbery projectiles and Blue Dot (1,150-1,250 fps).

To my mind, the Nowotny is neither British or chambered for the WR Super Magnum Explora round.

gatsby
.375 member

#199426 - 14/01/12 01:54 PM

I sent SB three different paradox style bullets, two in the 770gr range and the 860gr ( I didn't have these molds in 2004). I was surprised when I found out they had settled on the 860gr bullet. I don't know if it was because it was the only bullet that would easily regulate in the heavy gun or it was at the wishes of the Nowatny's owner who supplied me with the 860gr mold. There was a subsequent hunt where the gun/cartridge combo was used on elephant, in that case I really think the added velocity of the standard Super Magnum Explora cartridge would have been useful.
I know the paradox drilling was for sale at Hallowells for quite some time but also somewhat mis described. I don't remember it as being scoped at that time either. The gun has 2 3/4" 12 bore chambers if original don't you believe it had to have been for some magnum loading?
Did it have fairly standard looking 7 groove paradox chokes?

--------------------

CommandCar
.333 member

#199431 - 14/01/12 03:26 PM

Quote:

I sent SB three different paradox style bullets, two in the 770gr range and the 860gr ( I didn't have these molds in 2004). I was surprised when I found out they had settled on the 860gr bullet. I don't know if it was because it was the only bullet that would easily regulate in the heavy gun or it was at the wishes of the Nowatny's owner who supplied me with the 860gr mold. There was a subsequent hunt where the gun/cartridge combo was used on elephant, in that case I really think the added velocity of the standard Super Magnum Explora cartridge would have been useful.
I know the paradox drilling was for sale at Hallowells for quite some time but also somewhat mis described. I don't remember it as being scoped at that time either. The gun has 2 3/4" 12 bore chambers if original don't you believe it had to have been for some magnum loading?
Did it have fairly standard looking 7 groove paradox chokes?

Alot has happened in the last 5 years. Obviously, SB needed to get the barrels moving to regulate, so he went heavy. I think going a little faster might have been the better choice. As we know from the new Paradox book, there were many different power levels for paradox type guns. The Nowotny is so special, it clearly could have been a one-off, with ammunition made just for it. My Wm. Evans has 2 3/4" chambers, maybe original-maybe not, but I believe the bores at .736 are original for this 1926 gun. The Evans is marked as a 28 grian cordite gun, so it is in between the standard and heavy standard nitro Holland guns (both 2 1/2"). I have read or heard that the later paradox type guns had 2 3/4" chambers despite the cordite charge. I know for a fact some of the Hollands SB loads for in his last Paradox article have 2 3/4" chambers despite his load development with 2 1/2" shells.

If I recall correctly, the Nowotny had standard late 7 groove type paradox chokes. The problem with my recollection is that there was a mint Hoffman paradox in Morris's gun vault the last time I was there. That vision dominates my memory. For what it's worth, I don't recall either having 9 groove rifling.

The faster loads (blue dot) were developed by TA, friend of SB, fairly recently, so the technology might not have been there for the Nowotny.

Apparently the Nowotny now has fresh shot bores, factory fresh original as described by the seller. So I guess they have been touched up....

CommandCar
.333 member

#199452 - 15/01/12 12:03 AM

There was no scope, but there were claw bases.

gatsby
.375 member

#199589 - 16/01/12 01:36 PM

Holland and perhaps other makers of rifled choke guns had or may have had particular loads for their guns at the request of a client. Westley I think could be an exception as they were trying to sell a gun/ammo system. Here is a Wembely note on one late Holland paradox 40gr cordite and 2 gr gun with Westley capped bullets and 2 3/4" cases.

I didn't remember the Nowatny as having scope mounts. Also all the Super Magnums I have seen have 7 groove paradox rifling.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (23/01/12 12:10 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199615 - 16/01/12 03:34 PM

Quote:

Shooting a bunch of critters of whatever ilk inside a fence of whatever acreage is canned.

Good grief, there's big enough hunting country for you there in Australia to know the difference between a true fair chase hunt and a duck shoot in a bucket.

Lions in a cage or plains game in a high fenced ranch is a mere few steps apart.

Anyone who has done both certainly knows it's true, and anyone who's done one or the other that can walk and chew gum at the same time has enough smarts to infer the same.

Rod,

I'm more into personal experience. Can you relate your South African hunts and how they were done, free range or fenced or whatever, for all our enlightenment?

I'll stick to my earlier comment "Rubbish", I don't think you know what you are talking about, nor even how to define the words, 'canned', 'non fair chase" etc.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (16/01/12 03:41 PM)

500Nitro
.450 member

#199618 - 16/01/12 04:00 PM

Quote:

You want an example ?
Take Water Valley, South Australia, a fenced property that has hunters on.

Plenty of deer - in fact over stocked during the drought and many were culled.

Just because it is fenced doesn't mean the deer stay in there - in fact, WV has done more to populate SA with all the deer species than any other person.

Is that canned hunting ?

My ADA branch hunts nearby / next door and all the properties are fenced to a degree, generally not high fences
but it doesn't stop the deer going back and forth from WV and back, even a 6ft fence.

Just thought I would add that.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199620 - 16/01/12 04:15 PM

500nitro,

You can tell these guys as much as you want, that high fences are only so effective, but nowhere near 100%. Most wild game cam get through them especially if harassed or stressed.

Talking about Water Valley, I once did an experiment. I had a German visitor that wanted to hunt in late Spring, when most of the wild deer ie fallow and maybe reds have dropped their antlers. So went to WV to look for chital or rusa. The chital were very wild, not any different from a herd in the wild. But one day, per my experiment they were near a corner of a fence, and ran off in that direction. Per the "experts" that should mean they milled around, easy to shoot, "fish in a barrel", "duck shoot in a bucket" sort of bullshit, anyway, they ran a few metres along a fence, found a gap where the bottom wire was a few inches off the ground and bash, the whole herd went through. It wasn't to the outside. However could easily have been a perimeter fence, as indeed at one time the same fence was a perimeter fence.

Other examples, in South Africa, I have seen a warthog, just stroll up to a fence, duck under and push his way under the wire.

At home I have seen a doe hit a gate where the gap is only say three inches wide, and bash her way through. Another time a buck just squatted down and jumped a seven foot gate. From a squatting jump. A doe hit a fence at full speed and somersault over.

Back to WV, later my mate and I went back to hunt the chital seeing the scouting had all been done. Many of the stags were gone and no longer where they were previously. When my mate was hunting, we spotted a nice stag, where? Outside of the fence on the road verge ... however it ran away.

Now if you took a stag or a buck and raised it in small pens, then released it into a 50,000 acre fenced paddock, that animal is and acts really tame. It doesn't run away. If you released it into the wild, it won't run away.

That is called "canned" shooting.

Irrespective of a fence or not.

An animal raised in a 50,000 acre paddock acts entirely different and will ran at the smell or sight of man.

Anyone "with the smarts" who has actually been there, not on the internet, does not need to "infer" it, can work it out themselves.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Nitro
.450 member

#199622 - 16/01/12 04:53 PM

Most of the Buffalo I shoot are on fenced farms / properties,
it doesn't keep them in and it doesn't keep those on the outside from coming in either !!! (Especially bulls chasing cows !!!)

As you know, we use vehicles / quads etc to muster and we shoot some like this - however we have a policy of getting off / away from the vehicle, no shooting from within or on the quad. However they certainly don't hang around just because we are on a quad.

However we also go for walking hunts - much more fun.

Re WV, the easiest way to get deer is sit on the boundary fence, the deer hop over, bang, dead, wait for the next one. (The location even has a name, it's called Murder Gully for obvious reasons !!! This only applies to cull animals and females but it just shows how even the 6ft fences don't hold them in. The deer are as wild as the one's that never go into WV.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199624 - 16/01/12 05:12 PM

When I was there, several years ago, the rusa acted like deer farm releasees ... so the animals do behave differently, depending on where they came from I guess. And maybe the species.

Don't know "murder gully", you know the place better than me. Ha ha only joking. I've only been there a couple of times plus another for a "game drive" years ago.

Also re your comment regarding buffalo and fences, are you talking about high wire fences or normal cattle fences. Big difference usually.

However when hunting Namibia Karl and I watched a stupid gemsbok which couldn't work out how to get over or under a normal height farm fence for cattle or sheep. The others had got over or under it easily. Now if that animal was running away from a predator or a hunter, it would sail over that fence easily.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#199635 - 16/01/12 06:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rod,

I'm more into personal experience. Can you relate your South African hunts and how they were done, free range or fenced or whatever, for all our enlightenment?

I'll stick to my earlier comment "Rubbish", I don't think you know what you are talking about, nor even how to define the words, 'canned', 'non fair chase" etc.

Sure;

I lived in RSA for a time in the late '80's. I've hunted on ranches {not high fenced} in northern Zululand and also on a high fenced ranch near Umfolozi Game Reserve. I also hunted in the Karkloof Mountains "out my back door" so-to-speak.

I'm also a Life Member of the Kwazulu-Natal Hunting and Conservation Association so I try to keep pretty well up to speed with the goings on elsewhere in that Province and to a lesser degree throughout the country. It's been years, but I travelled pretty much the length and breadth of the country when I put 5,000 KM on a rental car, visiting quite a variety of ranches that offered a variety of hunts.

In addition, I spent a summer in then-Zaïre in 1980. Not game rich country by any means, but there were some buffalo and a very few elephant in some of the areas I was in. And duiker and the like.

Here, the locals laugh at those who hunt behind fences, and my friends who own a ranch in Texas understand why. A 130 class whitetail shot in the woods in north Idaho is a far sight better a trophy than a 170 class ranch deer down there. Yes, true enough, you would get laughed out of Drifters for playing with your silly words "canned" and "non-fair chase" as if any of those who actually hunt here care what you think the difference is. We don't, as it's all the same to us. Just stating the facts. Parse the words as you wish.

For myself, I see no moral difference in shoving the barrel of your favorite Nitro double thru a gate of the cage and up the arse of a lion and yanking the trigger and killing one under "fair chase" conditions. Ethics may come into play, and certainly law, but not "morals". In fact, from my perspective, I couldn't care less if you did it to the last lion on earth. To me they are more or less vermin and the more moral thing to do in many places is to kill them with whatever chemical toxicant is cheapest, most available and effective tho if you want them around, your point in a previous less insulting post was correct; penned and caged lion may in fact be the life blood of future "wild" {define it as you wish} lion populations.

As far as killing plains game behind fences or inside the wire in Texas, I have no particular problem with it for somebody else. Having done it, to be frank, I feel a little embarassed. Not saying there is no place on earth where such hunting isn't a guaranteed thing, just saying that most places it is.

I suppose we have all done things we are not entirely proud of, and truthfully, some of the past hunts I was on in RSA sort of fall into that category in spite of the fact that you might see things differently. That's fine, and I certainly wish the industry no ill, tho I no longer have much interest in it myself.

I've also hunted in New Jersey, Indiana, Michigan, Alabama, Kentucky, Washington, California, Illinois and of course here in Idaho. And chased some birds on an estate in Skåne, Sweden.

If you are ever in the area, feel free to stop by. We can hunt whatever is in season. Bring an oxygen tank if you want to keep up with me. You'll damn sure need it.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199637 - 16/01/12 07:00 PM

Quote:

In fact, from my perspective, I couldn't care less if you did it to the last lion on earth. To me they are more or less vermin and the more moral thing to do in many places is to kill them with whatever chemical toxicant is cheapest, most available and effective tho if you want them around,

Not surprised you hold these ideas.

Quote:

your point in a previous less insulting post was correct;

Mmmnmm, you the hypocrite talks about "insulting" when what I used in my reply was all taken from your own posts. Other than saying "Rubbish" to your post.

BTW here's a hint ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#199640 - 16/01/12 07:15 PM

Any more questions?

So, are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about?

Or are you saying I do but disagree with your views?

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199641 - 16/01/12 07:21 PM

You've had your say. I've had my say.

I now say the post returns to topic.

Either the paradox gun, or the shooting of a lion which appears to be 'out of step' to put it mildly.

Continue digging if you wish however.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#199643 - 16/01/12 07:26 PM

Quote:

or the shooting of a lion which appears to be 'out of step' to put it mildly.

Agreed, or putting it bluntly, plumb 'out of the jeep'!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199645 - 16/01/12 07:30 PM

Yes we can agree on that.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gatsby
.375 member

#199679 - 16/01/12 10:51 PM

I have always believed ones ethics are his own. What is “canned” hunting or not“fair chase” can start to get somewhat blurred at times. Shooting game from a stand or blind over bait, the use of bait or food to attract the desired game, the use of dogs, large scopes,ultramag cartridges and long range shooting, archery hunting, European lodge type hunting, hunting private land where game is funneled or attracted to specific areas, hunting non native game placed specifically to hunt in high fenced areas, South American bird hunting where piles of birds are killed by a single shooter and so on have all been termed unsporting or unfair at one time or another. I have participated in some of the above.
As to the shooting of this lion with the Nowatny;
There is an attempt to convict the shooter in the clip in abstensia and without representation of a variety of accusations and personal attacks.
I am not here as his representative. I can be a witness as to when (what year) the castings for the gun were done and to state my opinion of the believability of the shooter. He is someone who I admire and respect, if he states the shooting was necessary, I believe it. I don’t know if a resolution or agreement on the Lion and the Paradox or The Lion Shooting Paradox will be reached on this forum, there is just too little first hand information.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #199709 - 17/01/12 04:46 AM

Had a local hunter, disenchanted with gun shooting Spring bears, disenchanted with his compound bow shooting Spring bears, borrowed an Indian Spear from my Brother that had a decently wide blade that Taylor had forged.

Bob practised with it all winter, took it to Taylor for sharpening 'come spring' and then went out, stalked and 'stuck' his Spring Black bear with it. Perfect "Throw" at about 6'. The spear made a gash actually he put his boot into, with the exit hole even larger.

That was fair chase in anyone's book. HA!- Masi of NA.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

jaz
.300 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: DarylS]
      #202787 - 17/02/12 11:35 PM

Since I started the post it has taken a different turn, from questions about guns to ethics...
For the record, I am with 9.3 on this, it is a personal decision.
I have hunted Africa and Europe, but there is no satisfaction like being dropped off on your own from a plane in the middle of Alaska and hunting on your own. You are left to take care of yourself and hunt.
What bothers me most is the technology that has crept into our sport. The automatic camera's piss me off most. I don't even like hunting video's as I believe taking the life any animal is a personal thing, not to be exploited.
But these are my own views. One thing for sure, your views will change as you get older.
JZ

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

#202789 - 17/02/12 11:48 PM

Quote:

sorry, but this is silly, I hunt on a finca 45 mins away, 9000 hectares (about 23,000 acres). It has a fence around it for two reasons, to stop poachers and to try to prevent deer/boar running across roads though that doesn´t always work hence the signs everywhere on the roads showing "Danger Deer". By your definition anyone shooting in the UK is shooting canned since it is an island and I don´t think deer can swim the channel !? best, Mike

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #202798 - 18/02/12 02:01 AM

Quote:

By your definition anyone shooting in the UK is shooting canned since it is an island and I don´t think deer can swim the channel !? best, Mike

Correct, but not because it is an "island".

--------------------

HogPilot
.300 member

#202812 - 18/02/12 04:42 AM

Quote:

I have always believed ones ethics are his own. What is “canned” hunting or not“fair chase” can start to get somewhat blurred at times. Shooting game from a stand or blind over bait, the use of bait or food to attract the desired game, the use of dogs, large scopes,ultramag cartridges and long range shooting, archery hunting, European lodge type hunting, hunting private land where game is funneled or attracted to specific areas, hunting non native game placed specifically to hunt in high fenced areas, South American bird hunting where piles of birds are killed by a single shooter and so on have all been termed unsporting or unfair at one time or another. I have participated in some of the above.
As to the shooting of this lion with the Nowatny;
There is an attempt to convict the shooter in the clip in abstensia and without representation of a variety of accusations and personal attacks.
I am not here as his representative. I can be a witness as to when (what year) the castings for the gun were done and to state my opinion of the believability of the shooter. He is someone who I admire and respect, if he states the shooting was necessary, I believe it. I don’t know if a resolution or agreement on the Lion and the Paradox or The Lion Shooting Paradox will be reached on this forum, there is just too little first hand information.

Gatsby,

I've tried to back out of this conversation as it just doesn't seem to be going anywhere positive but I want to make one last attempt. First let me say, from reading many of your posts on other threads here, I think you personally are a fine individual. My opinion may not interest you at this point, but I want to make that clear.

I do think you are missing the salient point here however. You and I may disagree over when the video was filmed, but that is also not the issue. I don't have a problem with the South African Lion Hunting per se as I do believe it is a personal choice regarding ethics.

Where I have a problem is that many, if not most, SA Lion outfitters deceive hunters who are novices at African hunting into believing they are doing something that they are not (ie hunting a wild lion). Many of these novice hunters don't even realize that the animals they are pursuing are captive bred and raised. They often have been led to believe that the lion was bred in captivity, similar to the AI deer herds in Texas, then turned loose at an early age and have been fending for themselves all their life within the pen. They are unaware that many of the animals shot are done so while still under the influence of the drugs necessary to tranquilize them for loading on the truck to be released into the "hunting area". The cats are most often found within a few yards of where they were dropped off.

This deception is one of the main problems I have with this episode. Then, with a bit of a line fed to the hunter, he makes up a story to tell his friends of how brave he was in facing down the problem animal that had to be shot under any and all circumstances. I've heard it soooo toooo many times! I can't count the number of times I've heard a guy say he had to shoot the animal because it was charging them in the truck when if fact, it was running to the truck in anticipation of being offered a couple of live chickens.

Hearing your buddy say that "Obviously, we had to shoot" is just the same old story. To fail to acknowledge it is to show a lack of knowledge of how these "hunts" are conducted. That is the ethical issue I have with this video as I have been around captive bred lions and I've been around wild lions and there is absolutely NO indication in this video of the "need" to shot the lion.

So that brings us to the next issue. If there was no "need" to shoot the lioness, there was a desire to shoot it, after all, it was a "Lion Hunt". Ok, that's fine. No problem. But there are laws as to how these hunts are to be conducted. Let's look at this logically and work thru the issue:

In countries where wild lion exists, even if one would sit for you to drive the truck up close, it is ILLEGAL to shoot from the truck. In ALL instances, unless it were a self defense issue.

In South Africa, where this obviously took place, it is legal to shoot from the truck. But it is ILLEGAL to shoot large predators as defined by TOPS regulations, from a truck, unless it were a self defense issue. The lioness was not threatening the truck prior to the first shot, therefore there is no self defense issue here. What we have is a South African PH / Lion Operator who encouraged your friend to shoot from the truck, probably because he was scared to approach on foot. Then he fed him a line or two about how he knew the cat was about to charge so "we obviously had to shoot" in order to justify shooting from the truck, which is ILLEGAL. Your buddy took that and ran with the story so that he could tell his friends. Anyone with experience hunting African dangerous game, outside of the Republic of South Africa, will recognize this in short order.

So, from the logic standpoint that there was no self defense requirement to shoot at this place and time, and that since it is ILLEGAL to shoot from the truck except in the case of self defense, I am less interested in the type of weapon and or ammo used than I am in the circumstances under which it was used, which to anyone with a little experience of hunting dangerous game on the African continent, can clearly see was done outside the requirements of the law.

So now the main point. In this case, the deception which is so common in the South African Lion Hunting Industry, of convincing the novice hunter that his life is in danger or that he is shooting a problem animal that has to be killed at all costs, in an attempt to get him to feel justified in shooting a canned cat, has now led your friend to unwittingly shoot a cat in violation of the law. Have you questioned your friend about any of the issues brought up on this forum? Have you asked him, "what behavior led you to believe that you HAD to shoot at that moment?", "why did the truck not just drive away and the hunting party approach the cat on foot?", "Was it because you attempted to drive away several times only to have the lioness run along side the truck, with each time you stopped, the cat approached and laid down as if expecting to be fed?", "what were you told about the conduct of the hunt prior to getting into the truck that day?", "what were you told the hunt conditions were prior to booking the hunt?", "did you ride in the truck for a couple of hours prior to 'sighting' the cat's tracks, just before the cat itself appeared from the brush only to have the PH tell you the cat looks disturbed and we need to be extremely careful here?", etc. I could go on for days here.

I'm not having an issue with your buddy per se as much as the outfitter who set him up and put him in this position.

gatsby
.375 member

#202829 - 18/02/12 08:57 AM

Anything I say concerning this incident are my opinions and my opinions alone.

What you say about the lion hunting industry in SA may be true. I am not sure how many if any of your conclusions based on your knowledge of that industry apply to this incident. I think you have misread the intent of posting the clip and therefore you may have drawn inaccurate conclusions about the hunter from that. There was no intent to show bravado.
Whether there was a need to shoot or not and if there was not a need to shoot is where we disagree. The PH and the hunter are the only ones who know all the circumstances regarding their decision to take that shot. You likened the shooting of the lion in another post as similar to a drive-by with an antique weapon. If there were any “crimes” committed in shooting from the vehicle I see it more as a traffic infraction therefore it is less a concern for me as it is to you. I don’t know if we can reconcile that.

--------------------

HogPilot
.300 member

#202830 - 18/02/12 09:20 AM

We possibly cannot reconcile that. And if so, I guess we'll just have to disagree. But I can tell you that it is considered more than a "Traffic" offense to illegally shoot from the vehicle. Especially if the hunter in question is a US Citizen. It would be more likely to be a Lacey Act offense which is a Felony in the US. Possibly hard to prosecute if he didn't import the cat. But if he did, and the USFWS were to take note, he could be in serious trouble. Not to mention that he probably has a completely different take on the incident today than at the time.

That's why I asked if you had spoken with him about how the hunt went down. I've seen so many of these hunters, myself included, who came home proud of their lion only to have the reality of how the outfitters deceive the first times into shooting one of these cats. He probably didn't know it is illegal to shoot from a truck and he probably didn't have a clue about Lion behavior, or the outfitters' behavior either. But because of the way these hunts are presented to the new guy, your friend has broken the law, even though he didn't know it at the time. I'll just bet he has a different opinion of the hunt today than when he participated in it.

Why not ask him?

gatsby
.375 member

#202833 - 18/02/12 09:49 AM

Did you ever meet someone who began shooting and took up reloading and after awhile reloading became a larger focus for that person more so than the original hobby of shooting? Well that's me when it comes to these old guns. I hunt but the antique guns have become more of a focus for me.
Shooting a mt. lion in CA is a felony. I can't even bring in a hide legally hunted in a neighboring state. I think that's a felony also. It wasn't always that way and I think the law will change again one day. The legal system is funny like that.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#202838 - 18/02/12 10:58 AM

I think the same things in this thread are now just being repeated.

Time to close it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 31364

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com