Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lion shot with Paradox

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: NitroX]
      #199196 - 12/01/12 01:19 AM

Quote:

Personally I would be worried that if the canned lion breeding industry was stopped, it would create a much higher risk of lion as a species becoming extinct.

With so many lion behind wire being preserved for the canned industry it must provide a reserve for the species in the long term.

Truly wild lion are under habitat pressure, competition with cattle or plains game species hunting, and poisoning to remove them etc. They need a lot of space and with the human species ever over-breeding and needing more space ...

Also if canned lion hunters could no longer buy canned lion hunts, even more pressure on the wild lion populations.

Not commenting at all, on the ethics, sporting "value", etc of canned lion hunting.

Agree with all of the above---and have heard that same argument for years as well..But also do agree with Hog Pilot as was also my point..not/don't care about the time frame of when it happened or type of weapon used...but moreover how it was all done..IMHO, don't consider that hunting..if you want to just go out and shoot something then do it, but it certainly isn't hunting in my book...each to their own but not for me..

Hog Pilot...unless there is more than one place with the same lions and a tiger, I was at that same place..actually stopped in there on my way back to the airport in Kimberly..have very similar photos ..have to search my system..know I have them somewhere..

Guess it truly is a small world...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (12/01/12 02:09 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: Ripp]
      #199203 - 12/01/12 04:12 AM

Ripp,

It really is a small world of folks who have actually been to Africa on Dangerous Game hunts. We often find that we know the same folks. I know some of your friends in the industry. I haven't hunted with Chifuti but I know Tim and Dave. I hunt with CMS which operates the Dande Safari Area now and is right next to Chewore North where Andrew and Paul are. They obviously know each other as well.

Nitro,

I certainly did not mean to imply that the canned lion industry should go away. I stated that the existence of these operators helps reduce the pressure on wild lion quotas. We all know that with the often corrupt African leaders in place, should pressure to increase wild lion quota be exerted, the increases would more than likely be granted in the name of $'s, placing the survival of the species at great peril.

The point of my post is really more about the operators being forthcoming in their practices. I just don't see the necessity to bull shit a client into believing something that is false. I think it comes down to laziness and $'s in the end on the part of the Lion operators. For example:

1) Guy comes over to hunt plains game on his first Safari. While in camp, PH says, hey, we just got word of a problem Lion available at a discount. Do you want to go hunt it. "Sure, I thought Lion hunting was much more expensive than that, what a great opportunity". So you drive to the area, the operator tells you how this lion came into his ranch by crawling under the fence and is now killing his expensive Kudu and Nyala and could you please take care of it, chop chop! The PH drives you around until he sees "the edge" in your eyes wain a bit, then heads over to where the lion was dropped off and you "HAVE TO SHOOT IT" from the back of the truck as it "attacks" the truck when in reality, it was just walking up to be fed.

2) Guy comes over to hunt plains game on his first Safari. While in camp, PH says, hey, we have lion available here. It's not the same as a true wild Lion hunt such as in Tanzania where you shoot 2 or 3 Buffalo and maybe a Hippo for bait and spend up to 21 days sorting out the lions that come to the bait, if any do at all. It's also $15,000 to $25,000 here as opposed to $100,000 or so in Tanzania, $50,000 or $60,000 in Zim. These are captive bred, similar to your Whitetail ranches back in the States, that have been released into the same type of enclosure you have been hunting this week. We will track the lion on foot from the time we enter the area so it can be quite challenging but you can expect to get your cat within the first day, maybe 2 since we are completely on foot. Just be aware that even though these are captive bred cats, they can be quite dangerous because of being raised around man all their lives, they have no fear of man.

IMO, the second scenario would have more hunters say "no, that's not for me", but would still sell enough Lion "hunts" to satisfy their available stock. I say stock because that really is what it is, stock animals. But, that same second scenario would provide a better experience for the hunter as he would have to work for it a bit being on foot instead of Diesel stalking for a couple of hours. In addition, there is no deception involved and the hunter doesn't have to have some made up story to tell his friends back home. Sooner or later, he will tell that story to a hunter who has hunted wild Lion and will be put straight!!

I don't want to see the SA Lion Operations go away. I just want them to stop the BS and make it respectable. It really wouldn't be that hard to do.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #199206 - 12/01/12 05:17 AM

Quote:

With so many lion behind wire being preserved for the canned industry it must provide a reserve for the species in the long term.

One actual "problem" Nitro with captive lions is that they are such prolific breeders in zoos that they eventually become a problem.
If I remember rightly they either birth control the females or kill off the young.There are so many that other zoos cant accept them apparently.
I have to add for me shooting one of those magnificent penned male lions for 25-40 grand is just not on,whether I had the money or not....like what for?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: gryphon]
      #199213 - 12/01/12 06:03 AM

Been reading this one with interest. This topic reappears from time to time.

Let's face it, much hunting {most, actually, in terms of numbers of hunters hunting} in "Africa" is canned if you include garden run SA ranch hunts in the mix. And I really don't care if the ranch is 4,000 hectares. If it's high wire, it's canned, in a legitimate manner of speaking.

For me the issue boils down to whether a fellow is hunting/shooting/culling for the TRUE EXPERIENCE OF THE SPECIFIC EVENT...

...or...

...if he is doing whatever he's doing as an act of bravado or exposition of his "manliness" or some such thing and recounts the story after the fact as such an act of courage.

If it is the former then I say "Who Cares?" and maybe even depending on the hunt, "Sounds like fun!". Like Nitro said, shooting lions in a cage probably maintains the lion's existence on planet earth {maybe a little exaggeration}. Heck, look at what happened to blesbok when high wire gunning became popular in RSA and look at the fake deer hunting industry that exists in Texas!

But, if it is the latter, well, then I say "Bullshit". There really are VERY few hunts of any type that have the TRUE promise of danger, if you actually count the number of actual injuries sustained in said hunting, and African hunting more specifically. Not over-the-beer "my heart was thumping", but rather, lists of injuries and deaths as a high percentage of those taking part in the activity.

So, in the final analysis, comparing hobbies with the likelihood of injury, if a guy wants to truly mix with those who get busted up on a regular basis, he should take up rodeo or follow my daughters on the Omoksee circuit...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by CptCurl (16/01/12 01:14 AM)

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: 9.3x57]
      #199218 - 12/01/12 09:37 AM

Quote:

Well its not the pen hunters drawing attn to themselves much!

Have to ask 9.3...... helmets?

BTW to those that like it the horsey stuff......

Merrijig's 35th Rodeo
A full Rodeo with all events

Held on Saturday March 10 2012 - Labour Day weekend at McCormacks Lane, Merrijig 3723.

Showcasing Australia's best rough riders competing in a thrilling spectacle against the back drop of the Victorian High Country, only 15 minutes drive from Mansfield.
Gates open 2.00 pm and Main event starts at 5.30 pm

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #199226 - 12/01/12 01:01 PM

Quote:

Let's face it, much hunting {most, actually, in terms of numbers of hunters hunting} in "Africa" is canned if you include garden run SA ranch hunts in the mix. And I really don't care if the ranch is 4,000 hectares. If it's high wire, it's canned, in a legitimate manner of speaking.

Rubbish.

"Canned" is a term relating usually to captive breeding programmes where the animal is not wild as it has been bred in captivity and usually released only a short time before it is shot.

"High fence" hunting is usually termed "non fair chase".

The animals behind high wire may well have been bred in the wild and captured and re-released into high fenced properties, bred in the property itself, or "canned" if bred in small enclosures and released into a high fenced property.

From my experience hunting in a high fenced property can actually be harder than in the wild, if the pressure on the animals has been harder. In this case I can say I would much rather hunt free range as the game is actually easier to hunt.

Or it can be easy if the animals were for example fed from vehicles (as in a drought). In this case I declined to continue hunting on the property.

A hunter with his eyes open can usually tell the difference.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: gryphon]
      #199227 - 12/01/12 01:13 PM

Quote:

I have to add for me shooting one of those magnificent penned male lions for 25-40 grand is just not on,whether I had the money or not....like what for?

I agree. Not for me either. I think they look very sad in their enclosures too.

I wonder about the prices named though. I thought they were FAR CHEAPER as canned hunts than a wild hunt say in Tanzania or Zimbabwe?

As low as $10,000, when a wild hunt used to start from $25,000 and well up?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: HogPilot]
      #199228 - 12/01/12 01:19 PM

Quote:

Nitro,

I certainly did not mean to imply that the canned lion industry should go away. I stated that the existence of these operators helps reduce the pressure on wild lion quotas. We all know that with the often corrupt African leaders in place, should pressure to increase wild lion quota be exerted, the increases would more than likely be granted in the name of $'s, placing the survival of the species at great peril.

The point of my post is really more about the operators being forthcoming in their practices. I just don't see the necessity to bull shit a client into believing something that is false. I think it comes down to laziness and $'s in the end on the part of the Lion operators.

Yes I know that.

And I'm not defending canned lion hunting one bit. Just a "by-product" of the practice is a lot more lions in total in Africa.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #199238 - 12/01/12 02:17 PM

Nitro, you can parse the terms all you want.

Shooting a bunch of critters of whatever ilk inside a fence of whatever acreage is canned.

Good grief, there's big enough hunting country for you there in Australia to know the difference between a true fair chase hunt and a duck shoot in a bucket.

Lions in a cage or plains game in a high fenced ranch is a mere few steps apart.

Anyone who has done both certainly knows it's true, and anyone who's done one or the other that can walk and chew gum at the same time has enough smarts to infer the same.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

HogPilot
.300 member

#199242 - 12/01/12 02:32 PM

John, on the issue of the prices I quoted, realize that the specimens I showed in the photos are exceptional animals. The average male lion will not have the type of mane these have and the prices will be significantly less.

That sounds like a sales pitch doesn't it. Well, that certainly is not my intent. Just clearing up the price issue from my experience with these operators.

You would be damn had pressed to find a wild lion hunt for $25,000 anywhere. The daly rate in Zim averages $1,800 per day for 18 days minimum. Trophy fee will run $7,500 to $10,000. In addition, all bait animals must be paid for. Baiting for Lion is not like baiting for Leopard. Leopard are solitary animals and an Impala may last 2 or 3 days with an actively feeding cat. Lion are more likely to hit the bait with the entire pride devouring an entire Buffalo in 1 feeding. When you start shooting 2 or 3 Buffalo, even Buff Cows, or a Hippo, maybe even a tuskless elephant for bait, the $'s start jumping up there real quick. 2 Buff bulls at $3,000 each and a Hippo at $4,000 and you have $10,000 in bait. That will give you 6 baits to get started. If you only get sub adult males feeding or no cats feeding, these baits may need to be refreshed several times over the 18 day adventure.

$32,400 in daily rate, $10,000 in trophy fees, $10,000 in Bait and you are looking at $52,400 before any sundry costs, airfare, tips, or plains game to round out the hunt. That doesn't take into account the possible need to refresh the baits with additional animals. This is about the cheapest you find for a wild lion hunt.

Tanzania can easily be $3,500 to $4,000 per day for daily rates and require a 21 day license! Ouch!! Back when Botswana was still open for Lion, Jeff Rann offered a 30 day hunt for $130,000! Double Ouch!!

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #199243 - 12/01/12 02:43 PM

Much of the discussion here centers on canned lions.

Not my cup of tea, but does ANYONE have any evidence that this was a canned hunt, or even a lion hunt, or even took place in SA other than the 'style' of the truck? They do have wheels, you know, and can cross boarders.

I'm just asking.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #199257 - 12/01/12 05:27 PM

This thread was placed in "Paradox and Bore Guns" and titled "A Lion Shot with Paradox". There was a brief description of the events by the shooter placed on Youtube much of the dialogue devoted to the firearm and ammo used. Nothing was said about wild or canned hunt or derring-do or if this shooter was a novice lion hunter or someone who may have had several decades experience hunting dangerous game.
Bob,
I found interesting that if in fact the gun was chambered for the 730gr 1500fps Westley cartridge the round used on the lion was heavier and slower than a standard SME cartridge and wondered if the slightly lighter but faster cartridge been used it might have prevented the lion from attacking after being shot. I also wondered how many years it had been since a big cat was shot with a 12 bore paradox.

I only pointed out the date of the video to show if someone could be wrong by several years on a material fact what else might be conjecture and not fact.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #199293 - 13/01/12 01:48 AM

HogPilot,

Here are my photos of what I believe to be some of the same animals..

AS to the price of lion hunts I would have to agree with your assessment..lion hunts are very expensive at this point --I shot mine in 2008 in Zim with Chifuti--- Ian Gibson was the PH.. that was high enough-- got a quote from a outfitter in Tanzania in 2010 and he wanted $90,000 all in ..that is insane..IMHO...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by CptCurl (16/01/12 01:15 AM)

HogPilot
.300 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: Ripp]
      #199306 - 13/01/12 05:22 AM

The DVD was given to me by Dirk Faul of Ntshonalanga Safaris in December of 2004 as he stayed at my house the week prior to the 2005 DSC show. No mistake of material fact there.

Actually having hunted in South Africa and Zimbabwe instead of simply opining from my keyboard, it is obvious this little clip took place in South Africa on one of the South African Lion Operators properties. Wild lions in other countries will not sit still for a truck at this range as they do not expect to be feed! In addition, in the countries where wild lion are found, shooting from the back of a truck is illegal. This is only allowed in South Africa and possibly some areas of Namibia. So in the extremely remote chance, and I do mean extremely remote chance, that this took place outside of South Africa, the shooting from the back of the truck was at a minimum, ILLEGAL.

If this was not an example of diesel stalking a semi tame cat in South Africa, and it is, how do you square the comment "As you can see, we had to shoot", when in fact, the truck could have just continued driving. When the first shot is fired, the truck is stopped. I agree that the second shot "had to be fired" but the comment "as you can see, we had to shoot" is an embellishment.

What has happened here is that Gatsby's friend fell victim to the South African Lion Hunt deception as have so many others. Myself included. He made up a story to go along with the "as you can see, we had to shoot" so that he could convince himself that he had actually hunted lion. I'll bet that if asked his opinion today, he would have a different attitude, especially if he has hunted dangerous game outside of South Africa.

Gatsby, I really don't mean to get into a pissing contest with you. I also don't know of your hunting background. But I'll venture a guess that you haven't hunted dangerous game outside of South Africa. If you have, I am really surprised by your comment that you believe the narrative of this video clip is unembellished. If you haven't, I completely understand your statement that you believe the narrative of this video clip is unembellished.

If your friend insists to this day that "we had to shoot" when the truck could have just continued driving, then I would be less concerned about the difference of opinion on the date of this video clip and more concerned with what else your friend has misrepresented to you.

Again, I don't really have a huge problem with the SA Lion program other than it being done with deception and from the back of a truck. Why not just level with the hunter and do it on foot. Shooting a cat from the back of a truck when it expects to be fed is just unethical in my book. And again, if that is less important to you than the type of rifle used, let's simply agree to disagree and not share an African camp fire together.

Edited by HogPilot (13/01/12 05:39 AM)

HogPilot
.300 member

#199307 - 13/01/12 05:32 AM

Ripp,

Shingalina in the North West providence? Frikkie's place?

I think that is the same Tiger but I think the White Lion and the big boy are different cats. The big boy for sure as his facial structure is different as well as his mane composition. The White Lion's facial structure looks different as well but when I was there, they had 1 adult and 3 sub-adult White Lions. They also had 2 Tigers, a male and a female. My picture is of the male as he challenged us at the wire.

Funny, no facial scars and a mane that looks like they just came from the beauty shop. I think while they have them drugged before releasing them, they get a shampoo and a blow dry so as to be pretty for the post "hunt" photo op!

By the way Ripp, are you going to SCI in Vegas? If so, I'd like to meet and say hello.

gryphon
.450 member

#199311 - 13/01/12 07:00 AM

no facial scars.

That really is the pertinent point too.
Never been there to Africa but being a keen student of all things wild and after watching every doco ever made in the last fifty years on lions ,I cant ever remember seeing one without facial scars,they even get them from lionesses in their own pride let alone the take over boys that eventually turn up.

--------------------

gatsby
.375 member

#199346 - 13/01/12 12:36 PM

Hogpilot,
Your promo DVD from 2004 and the clip are separated by a couple of years or more. I was not concerned with the loading specifications of the Westley SME cartridge nor did I have the mold for the heavier bullet in 2004.
Call me naive but I do accept the explanation of the first hand shooter with reason and I do have an inordinate interest in the SME cartridge and guns chambered for them. I am sorry that is disturbing to you. You have told me twice that we won't be hunting companions, I get it.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: gatsby]
      #199387 - 14/01/12 04:10 AM

Quote:

The question on the Nowatny would be was it made or licensed by WR for their propriatary cartridges, in particular the Super Magnum Explora. If the gun had original 2 3/4" chambers it was certainly chambered for a magnum paradox cartridge but which one?

I handled the Nowotny at Hallowell's shop in Livingston, MT about 2001, although it could have been as late as 2004. I removed the forend and examined it thouroughly. I remember the shot gun bores were a little rough, but the paradox rifling in good shape. The gun was noticably heavy. I think it was about $6k ($4-$8K).

There was absoutely nothing about the drilling that indicated a British origin. In fact, it looked extreemly continental. I do not recall the shot barrels being heavy like on a SM explora. Infact, the chamber areas were slim rather than beefy like on the SM Westley Richards I have examined.

Some may use the rifle chambering as evidence of British origin. 400/360 Westley Richards Nitro Express does sound English, but this cartridge also known as the 9x70R (Mauser) which does not.

I see the Paradox regulates by going heavy and slow. I wonder what would happen if either the 30 or 33 grain cordite loads were tried. These can be duplicated, safely, with regular 740ish Fosbery projectiles and Blue Dot (1,150-1,250 fps).

To my mind, the Nowotny is neither British or chambered for the WR Super Magnum Explora round.

gatsby
.375 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: CommandCar]
      #199426 - 14/01/12 01:54 PM

I sent SB three different paradox style bullets, two in the 770gr range and the 860gr ( I didn't have these molds in 2004). I was surprised when I found out they had settled on the 860gr bullet. I don't know if it was because it was the only bullet that would easily regulate in the heavy gun or it was at the wishes of the Nowatny's owner who supplied me with the 860gr mold. There was a subsequent hunt where the gun/cartridge combo was used on elephant, in that case I really think the added velocity of the standard Super Magnum Explora cartridge would have been useful.
I know the paradox drilling was for sale at Hallowells for quite some time but also somewhat mis described. I don't remember it as being scoped at that time either. The gun has 2 3/4" 12 bore chambers if original don't you believe it had to have been for some magnum loading?
Did it have fairly standard looking 7 groove paradox chokes?

--------------------

CommandCar
.333 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: gatsby]
      #199431 - 14/01/12 03:26 PM

Quote:

I sent SB three different paradox style bullets, two in the 770gr range and the 860gr ( I didn't have these molds in 2004). I was surprised when I found out they had settled on the 860gr bullet. I don't know if it was because it was the only bullet that would easily regulate in the heavy gun or it was at the wishes of the Nowatny's owner who supplied me with the 860gr mold. There was a subsequent hunt where the gun/cartridge combo was used on elephant, in that case I really think the added velocity of the standard Super Magnum Explora cartridge would have been useful.
I know the paradox drilling was for sale at Hallowells for quite some time but also somewhat mis described. I don't remember it as being scoped at that time either. The gun has 2 3/4" 12 bore chambers if original don't you believe it had to have been for some magnum loading?
Did it have fairly standard looking 7 groove paradox chokes?

Alot has happened in the last 5 years. Obviously, SB needed to get the barrels moving to regulate, so he went heavy. I think going a little faster might have been the better choice. As we know from the new Paradox book, there were many different power levels for paradox type guns. The Nowotny is so special, it clearly could have been a one-off, with ammunition made just for it. My Wm. Evans has 2 3/4" chambers, maybe original-maybe not, but I believe the bores at .736 are original for this 1926 gun. The Evans is marked as a 28 grian cordite gun, so it is in between the standard and heavy standard nitro Holland guns (both 2 1/2"). I have read or heard that the later paradox type guns had 2 3/4" chambers despite the cordite charge. I know for a fact some of the Hollands SB loads for in his last Paradox article have 2 3/4" chambers despite his load development with 2 1/2" shells.

If I recall correctly, the Nowotny had standard late 7 groove type paradox chokes. The problem with my recollection is that there was a mint Hoffman paradox in Morris's gun vault the last time I was there. That vision dominates my memory. For what it's worth, I don't recall either having 9 groove rifling.

The faster loads (blue dot) were developed by TA, friend of SB, fairly recently, so the technology might not have been there for the Nowotny.

Apparently the Nowotny now has fresh shot bores, factory fresh original as described by the seller. So I guess they have been touched up....

CommandCar
.333 member

#199452 - 15/01/12 12:03 AM

There was no scope, but there were claw bases.

gatsby
.375 member

#199589 - 16/01/12 01:36 PM

Holland and perhaps other makers of rifled choke guns had or may have had particular loads for their guns at the request of a client. Westley I think could be an exception as they were trying to sell a gun/ammo system. Here is a Wembely note on one late Holland paradox 40gr cordite and 2 gr gun with Westley capped bullets and 2 3/4" cases.

I didn't remember the Nowatny as having scope mounts. Also all the Super Magnums I have seen have 7 groove paradox rifling.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (23/01/12 12:10 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#199615 - 16/01/12 03:34 PM

Quote:

Shooting a bunch of critters of whatever ilk inside a fence of whatever acreage is canned.

Good grief, there's big enough hunting country for you there in Australia to know the difference between a true fair chase hunt and a duck shoot in a bucket.

Lions in a cage or plains game in a high fenced ranch is a mere few steps apart.

Anyone who has done both certainly knows it's true, and anyone who's done one or the other that can walk and chew gum at the same time has enough smarts to infer the same.

Rod,

I'm more into personal experience. Can you relate your South African hunts and how they were done, free range or fenced or whatever, for all our enlightenment?

I'll stick to my earlier comment "Rubbish", I don't think you know what you are talking about, nor even how to define the words, 'canned', 'non fair chase" etc.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (16/01/12 03:41 PM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #199618 - 16/01/12 04:00 PM

Quote:

You want an example ?
Take Water Valley, South Australia, a fenced property that has hunters on.

Plenty of deer - in fact over stocked during the drought and many were culled.

Just because it is fenced doesn't mean the deer stay in there - in fact, WV has done more to populate SA with all the deer species than any other person.

Is that canned hunting ?

My ADA branch hunts nearby / next door and all the properties are fenced to a degree, generally not high fences
but it doesn't stop the deer going back and forth from WV and back, even a 6ft fence.

Just thought I would add that.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Lion shot with Paradox [Re: 500Nitro]
      #199620 - 16/01/12 04:15 PM

500nitro,

You can tell these guys as much as you want, that high fences are only so effective, but nowhere near 100%. Most wild game cam get through them especially if harassed or stressed.

Talking about Water Valley, I once did an experiment. I had a German visitor that wanted to hunt in late Spring, when most of the wild deer ie fallow and maybe reds have dropped their antlers. So went to WV to look for chital or rusa. The chital were very wild, not any different from a herd in the wild. But one day, per my experiment they were near a corner of a fence, and ran off in that direction. Per the "experts" that should mean they milled around, easy to shoot, "fish in a barrel", "duck shoot in a bucket" sort of bullshit, anyway, they ran a few metres along a fence, found a gap where the bottom wire was a few inches off the ground and bash, the whole herd went through. It wasn't to the outside. However could easily have been a perimeter fence, as indeed at one time the same fence was a perimeter fence.

Other examples, in South Africa, I have seen a warthog, just stroll up to a fence, duck under and push his way under the wire.

At home I have seen a doe hit a gate where the gap is only say three inches wide, and bash her way through. Another time a buck just squatted down and jumped a seven foot gate. From a squatting jump. A doe hit a fence at full speed and somersault over.

Back to WV, later my mate and I went back to hunt the chital seeing the scouting had all been done. Many of the stags were gone and no longer where they were previously. When my mate was hunting, we spotted a nice stag, where? Outside of the fence on the road verge ... however it ran away.

Now if you took a stag or a buck and raised it in small pens, then released it into a 50,000 acre fenced paddock, that animal is and acts really tame. It doesn't run away. If you released it into the wild, it won't run away.

That is called "canned" shooting.

Irrespective of a fence or not.

An animal raised in a 50,000 acre paddock acts entirely different and will ran at the smell or sight of man.

Anyone "with the smarts" who has actually been there, not on the internet, does not need to "infer" it, can work it out themselves.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 31360

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com