Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps
      #118309 - 04/11/08 09:10 PM

Monday, November 03, 2008
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article5068379.ece

The dawn mist was still clinging to the mangroves when the maneater struck.

Mohammed Rasul Hussain, 45, had left his hut in southwestern Bangladesh at sunrise three weeks ago and, with his younger brother, Sheraz, paddled across the river and into the vast Sundarbans forest.

They moored their boat and set off on foot to search for crab, wild honey and firewood in the world's largest mangrove swamp, which straddles Bangladesh's border with India.

Armed with only a machete, Mohammed did not stand a chance when the tiger leapt from the undergrowth, knocked him to the ground and sank its teeth into his neck. Sheraz could only scream in horror and run.

They buried Mohammed that evening, minus his left leg.

"He knew the dangers of the forest, but he couldn't do anything else to survive," said Fatima, 30, his widow and the mother of their three children. "It would be better if there were no tigers here."

Remembering what Jim Corbett wrote, I wonder if the porcipine nailed the tiger in question.
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Eaters-Kumaon-Oxford-India-Paperbacks/dp/0195622553

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Story
.333 member

Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: Story]
      #129267 - 11/03/09 08:58 AM

Dogs step in to help protect villagers from ‘Man-eating’ tigers
Tuesday 27 January 2009
http://www.zsl.org/conservation/news/dogs-step-in-to-help-protect-villagers-from-man-eating-tigers,555,NS.html
Stray street dogs in Bangladesh are being trained to deter prowling tigers from village borders as part of an innovative conservation scheme.

Somewhat related video.
www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2008/sep/23/tiger.hunt

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #129274 - 11/03/09 10:25 AM

Quote:

Mohammed Rasul Hussain, 45, had left his hut in southwestern Bangladesh at sunrise three weeks ago and, with his younger brother, Sheraz, paddled across the river and into the vast Sundarbans forest.

They moored their boat and set off on foot to search for crab, wild honey and firewood in the world's largest mangrove swamp, which straddles Bangladesh's border with India.

Armed with only a machete, Mohammed did not stand a chance when the tiger leapt from the undergrowth, knocked him to the ground and sank its teeth into his neck. Sheraz could only scream in horror and run.

"He knew the dangers of the forest, but he couldn't do anything else to survive," said Fatima, 30, his widow and the mother of their three children. "It would be better if there were no tigers here."

No doubt it would be better if there were no tigers there for the humans encroachers of the swamps.

But whom is encroaching on whose habitat? The tigers in ever decreasing numbers or the humans increasing venturing into the areas to "search for crabs, wild honey and firewood".

Are these areas Parks ie poaching and illegal harvesting or just un-inhabitable swamps/estuarine country?

I wonder if we went back to Corbett's time, how many people inhabited the same area as today - one in a thousand perhaps?

Sad though for the family and also to loose the father whom fed and provided for them.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: NitroX]
      #129373 - 12/03/09 07:10 PM

its allways the same:
New Sumatra tiger attack kills 2 loggers
March 4, 2009, 5:00pm

JAKARTA (DPA) — A tiger mauled two people to death in Jambi on the Indonesian island of Sumatra, bringing to eight the number of humans killed by the endangered beasts in the province this year, an official said Tuesday.

The two victims, identified as Musmuliadi, 31, and Musliadi, 30, were attacked on Sunday night while working in an illegal logging camp in a forest in Jambi province, said the head of the provincial Natural Conservation Office, Didy Wurjanto.

‘’The latest victims bring the number to eight people killed by the Sumatran tigers in Jambi since late January, while two others were injured,’’ Didy said, adding that it was not clear whether the same tiger was responsible for all the attacks.

He said the latest two victims were from outside the area and had been hired to work as illegal loggers.

Didy blamed the destruction of the tigers’ habitat by illegal logging and palm oil plantations for the attacks on humans.

The forest has been ‘’no man’s land’’ since it was abandoned by timber companies after logging rights expired in the area, making it difficult to monitor illegal logging and palm oil plantations, he said.

Direct conflicts between people and animals are occurring because human development is encroaching on the habitat of wild animals, affecting their food sources, hunting grounds and breeding areas, conservationists said.

Local and international conservation groups say there are less than 400 tigers left in the wild on Sumatra.

Environmentalists blame illegal hunting, which claims an estimated 50 Sumatran tigers per year, and rampant deforestation in Sumatra for the big cats’ drastic drop in population.

The conservation group WWF said tigers were once widespread on the Indonesian islands of Bali and Java but those two subspecies became extinct in the 20th century.
http://www.mb.com.ph/node/197685

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

dok
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/05
Loc: NT, Australia
      #129550 - 15/03/09 12:39 AM

Yes, the poor tiger. Becoming increasingly closer to extinction. Now have I got a great idea to save the tiger population of the world, from extinction...

Get a handful of breeding tigers and release them into the vast flood plains of North and North East Arnhem Land (Northern Territory, Australia - for those that don't know). There, they can hunt Water Buffalo, wild pig (introduced species), Kangaroo,and i guess the occasional black fella (and white fella), who ventures into the area to hunt (i don't think tigers would be racist!!!). The tigers would thrive, and as a bonus (after the numbers built up), i could hunt them as well....

God damn, I'm onto something here.... How good would it be.

Cheers

Dok

--------------------
DOK

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: dok]
      #129572 - 15/03/09 03:38 AM

A good idea the tigers in the North Territory's! Why not big Indian rhino's! Call me when you start with hunting!

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: grandveneur]
      #129583 - 15/03/09 04:24 AM

Add a few Indian wolves and you'll have Nirvana...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: 9.3x57]
      #129741 - 16/03/09 09:09 PM

Hell, what about African Leopard, Lion, black Rhino, Bongo, Black Lechwe, Giant Sable and many more.
Probably make more $$$ than cattle farming.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: ozhunter]
      #129753 - 17/03/09 01:41 AM

oh those poor ilegal loggers and poachers, they trespass on one of the last places where there might be wild tigers and get eaten, that just sounds like your everyday darwin award.

maybe if they made some signs with tigers on them, the dumb fucks would stay away.

peter

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: peter]
      #129766 - 17/03/09 03:28 AM

Its not that those dumb fucks are unaware of the presence of tigers in the area.They know what is awaiting them yet they take the risk.Poverty and greed are powerful motivators.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: iqbal]
      #129774 - 17/03/09 03:57 AM

Quote:

Its not that those dumb fucks are unaware of the presence of tigers in the area.They know what is awaiting them yet they take the risk.Poverty and greed are powerful motivators.

Absolutely right!

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: iqbal]
      #129809 - 17/03/09 10:12 AM

Quote:

Well said Iqbal.

Your assessment captures the nuances of the situation.

By a northern European or USA standard, I doubt "greed" would apply to the fellows that get the chop by these tigers, tho certainly the poverty part would apply. Greed would certainly be a possible prime motivator of the owners of the logging companies, I suppose.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: grandveneur]
      #129810 - 17/03/09 10:14 AM

With poor people cutting firewood for a living, or catching fish, "greed" is a relative term sometimes for feeding ones family. That's probably why Iqbal put "poverty and greed" in the same sentence.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Story
.333 member

Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: NitroX]
      #139050 - 16/07/09 01:50 AM

Panna National (tiger) Park no longer has any tigers. Poaching, perhaps?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8150382.stm

Note this paragraph -

India had 40,000 tigers a century ago, but the numbers dwindled fast because of hunting and poaching.

The country banned tiger hunting and launched an ambitious conservation effort named Project Tiger to increase the population of the endangered species.

A number of forest areas were declared national parks and funds allotted for protecting the tigers.

Though the programme bore fruit initially, with the decline in numbers checked because of a hunting ban, recent years have seen a phenomenal rise in poaching, which is now organised almost along the lines of drug-smuggling.

Same thing in Sanjay -
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Flor...how/4772968.cms

Edited by Story (16/07/09 01:55 AM)

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
      #145339 - 07/11/09 05:25 PM

Quote:

What?

I'm thunderstruck. Why, the other night on Animal Planet they told me that the denizens of the Sundarbans just luuuvvs them some tigers!

Animal Planet told me that the people who live there think the occasional man-eating is just a small price to pay for the privilege of living amongst such charismatic megafauna.

That as far as they're concerned, the tiger is the great spirit that protects the forest, or some other B.S.

Why, Animal Planet wouldn't lie to me, would they?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #145355 - 08/11/09 05:25 AM

If the people who are forced to interact with tigers on a daily basis through poverty were to receive income from trophy fees, they could avoid the tigers and stop encroaching on the forest.
No hunting = no income = no habitat = no tigers
Its the arrogant ass-wipe politicians that are to blame, not the local population.

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #145575 - 10/11/09 03:33 PM

Quote:

If the people who are forced to interact with tigers on a daily basis through poverty were to receive income from trophy fees, they could avoid the tigers and stop encroaching on the forest.
No hunting = no income = no habitat = no tigers
Its the arrogant ass-wipe politicians that are to blame, not the local population.

The ass-wipe politicians surely have their share of the blame. But their are preservationist special interests also have their share.

That's what I was driving at with my sarcastic earlier post. I finally canceled my cable subscription because of the blatant bald-faced lies I was being told by, among others, Animal Planet. I can't keep track of how many shows about the Sundarbans I've seen. All have told the same lie. The villagers who are being preyed upon, we are told, have the same unnatural reaction.

The tiger is the protector of the forest, so they protect the tiger.

Which is insane. If the tiger COULD protect the forest, they wouldn't need to protect the tiger. But more fundamentally, that has never been the reaction of people anywhere when confronted with dangerous, life threatening wildlife. Corbett, who was no fan of indiscriminate slaughter, frankly discussed how Indian villagers considered man-killing cats to be demons.

It's the same attitude Africans have toward elephants that you can read in Gryphon's post on the African hunting forum. It's the same attitude any one of us would have if we were impoverished and living in a country who's government valued the lives of the animals killing us more than it valued ours. Or, as the man's widow put it, it would be better if there were no tigers.

Preservationist special interests were and are simply lying when they claim that the villagers have a different attitude toward tigers. That the occasional man-killing is an acceptable compromise. And the politicians are inhuman enough to believe them.

The fact is that people are people. Here in North America the prevailing attitude is that the occasional animal that kills people needs to be eliminated. Canada didn't take the attitude that the 2 coyotes in Nova Scotia that killed the up-and-coming 19 year old singer were magnificent spirit creatures. They shot them.

Despite what Animal Planet tries to tell me, I have no doubt that the people of the Sundarbans value their lives just as much as I value mine. Fortunately, I don't live in a country where the laws conspire against me, to the point where I have to violate them to scratch out a living.

Iqbal is exactly right, as far as he goes. What the hell is a poor Bangledeshi supposed to do? Just die as cat chow? So a bunch of rich first-worlders can feel good about themselves and their environmental sensitivities?

If I had the misfortune to be born poor near the Sundarbans, whether in India or Bangladesh, you can be damned sure I'd be poaching tigers like their were no tomorrow. Why would I share the first world's concern over the future of the tiger? Especially when it's showing so much contempt for my own.

These governments need to be on the side of their people. And that means hunting. Revenue, and hopefully security.

Story
.333 member

Re: Fatal Tiger Attacks On Rise in South Asian Swamps [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #186270 - 22/07/11 02:37 AM

A leopard mauled 11 people as panicked villagers scrambled onto rooftops and vehicles while an alert photographer snapped some stunning images. The attack occurred Tuesday in the tightly-packed Indian slum of Prakash Nagar, when the wild cat vaulted over a short wall and into the streets. According to published reports, the adult male leopard went after villagers at random as policemen and forest guards pursued it, trying to shoot the big cat with a tranquilizer dart.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/wpix-leopard-attack,0,4253123.story

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5580

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com