Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Camel Hunt Report

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Camel Hunt Report
      #184434 - 23/06/11 04:01 PM

Camels are not hard to kill but they take a long time to realise they are dead. I hope this statement makes more sense as the report unfolds.

We received an invitation from one of the local lads working as a jackaroo in far west Qld who was happy for any Warialda shooters to come up and shoot camels. Accessing camels is not all that easy with considerable planning, distances and outlay required. It was too good an opportunity to miss so a few baits were sent out. With mates overseas, with crook backs and short notice, no takers came forward.

Cameron my son is in his last year of school, school captain etc but his marks aren't too good and aren't likely to improve as he mentally left home a long time ago. The cook gave permission to take him so he came along. I won't have him much longer and it was a trip to do together.

We realised that we would have to be totally self sufficient out of the back of the twin cab rodeo so we packed our gear, food, 120 litres of spare fuel and 60 litres of water into the back and set off.

It is approx 1,500km to the last town (Boulia) which we reached in a day and a half to refuel for the last time.

Day One: We met up with the owner at 06:00 who gave us directions and added the newer graded tracks to our 1:100,000 maps. Our instructions were to 'drill everything'. The workers were all still away on the grog at a birthday party two hours up the road so we headed off with GPS, map and rifles at the ready. Cameron had his Tony Small built Parker Hale .243 Mauser '98 which he had taken to Africa three years earlier and his 8x57 ex-mil VZ-24 Mauser '98 with open sights. I had my Tony Small custom 7x57 FN Mauser '98 loaded with 175 Woodleigh PPSN's and my Remington 700 ADL .264WM with Woodleigh 140 PPSN's.

Method:
The locals tear around the property at high speed in Landcruisers and Hilux's shooting from the trucks so we decided to keep our speed down to 30kph and if we sighted any animals to quietly come to a halt and hunt on foot. This turned out to be the correct strategy as the camels had never been hunted on foot. We had 'bug out' backpacks ready to take with us containing water, spare ammo, torch, camera, dried food, John Foxwell knives, fire lighting equipment, thermal blanket and emergency flare in case we got disorientated and lost. This all proved unnecessary except for the camera and water. We visited a number of waterholes and water points without result and were just starting to look for a camp sight when Cameron looked behind us to see six camels watching us drive past.

I had first dibs so it was out with the 7x57 which I laid across the swags on the back of the truck. They lasered at just over 250 yards, a common range we were to discover. The lead Camel was facing me slightly quatering to my right and I hit a Woodleigh just to the right of the right shoulder angling towards the rear left leg.

How Camels reacted when we shot them:
This one gave a slight jump, arching its back and lifting its front legs off the ground. A noticeable ripple effect spread across its body like a droplet falling into a still pool of water. This was common on all the camels we hit hard with the first shot. It then stood still and started to slowly walk off to the right. I gave it a second into the right shoulder with nothing more than another ripple and it eventually lay down about 30 metres away, curled its neck down its side and expired. We saw this reaction constantly over the next few days except for the few Cameron head and neck shot with his .243W.

I shot two more camels from that position and all required multiple shots. If you get the lead animal, the rest will mill around (like goats) not knowing what to do.

Camp One was not too far down the road. Gidgey wood makes a great camp fire and we have a boom off the back of the truck for a shower bucket so we don't do it too rough. We spread our swags on camp stretchers and had thermal underwear and thick wool socks to keep us warm.

Day Two: Up, packed and on the road north to meet up with the station staff and owner who were mustering cattle far, far away. We decided to take the longer, lesser used tracks to keep the opportunitys to see more camels higher. This also paid off. Upon ariiving at a central cattle watering point we bumped a large mob of camels who quickly moved off except for the large male at the rear. It was Camerons turn so out he got, stalked to within 75 yards and gave him two in the right shoulder. It walked 30 metres (that distance again) and lay down. It needed an ex-mil FMJ coup de grace in the head and it was over.

We dragged it clear of the water point about 50 metres away close to the main track as pig bait for the locals later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIFgX9G3K8g&feature=mh_lolz&list=HL1308808334

Not far from there we bumped two males on the track and Cam took them both quickly with head shots from the truck with the .243 without dramas. Now with head shots they Bang Flop and being huge animals it really is a spectacular show.

A few more Km's and I bumped my 'big boy'. An old male with worn off top front teeth, huge in body and dirty with dust and piss stained all down his rear legs. I stalked to within 150 yards and went prone unsupported on the gravel. The .264WM put a 140 PPSN Woodleigh behind his right shoulder. The entry hole is in the photo. A huge cloud of dust blew off him on the far side as the ripple effect went through. He calmly walked off with a hosepipe of dark red blood spurting out 30cm from his side. I gave him a second round in the same location angling forward to the front left of his chest. Neither projectile exited and after about 30 metres he realised he was in trouble and gave up the ghost.

I took off his head and brought the top of the skull home, roped under the trucks tray. It boils away sticking out of a 20 litre drum on my BBQ as I type this. I had two knives and Cameron had to keep sharpening them in rotation as the dust impregnated hair kept blunted their edges.

Cam doing the navigation with the GPS and useing an 8x57 stripper clip to measure distances on the map.

We caught up with the musterers. There were seven camels in the thick bush of the 10 squ km holding yards and the owner wanted them gone. We had it all done in 40 minutes with 7x57 and .243.

We drove on passing over a river bed of slate which contained numerous fossils.

That night we made a similar camp to before.

Day Three:

We were keen to get north into the hill country and the true Simpson Desert so we pressed on. Another camel appeared off in the grass country and a 450 metre stalk saw Cameron within 100 metres and the 8x57 spoke again.

We planned to have morning tea on top of a hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNDIY1DK9Q&feature=related

A mob of 40-50 camels changed those planes. We 'bombed up' the mob in true unethical style and found ourselves out of handloads. Only 8x57 ex-mil FMJ's remained. Sadly we headed south, meeting up with the musterers and helping them for the last couple of hours.

We were invited to join them for a feed and to share their fire before sleeping in the 'dongas' they use for accomodation.

A quick hour of work the next morning saw Cameron on the crush before we headed off for home.

One more camel wandered into our path and again Cameron did the honours.

On the way home we stopped for the night at Barcaldine where I was able to visit 'The Tree of Knowledge'. This is where the beginning of unionised labour in Australia began and as a bit of a lefty, I was glad to have my photo taken next to this memorial.

We got home one and half days early, out of money and ammo. We plan to return depite fuel costs running to A$1,050. Next time we will carry fuel, water and camping gear in a trailer and use it as a base camp for 2-3 days before moving on. This will leave the truck free to be used as a hunting vehicle with its high shooting rack from which much more could be seen.

Ballistic Analysis:
No rounds were recovered. I would need a small chain saw, a hack saw and a few hours to recover any. The 7x57 hit above its weight and only the very first 'front on' shot was not a pass through. The musterers could hear the 'Thwock' of it impacting from over 1km away. The .264WM was the most useful due to its flat trajectory. Cameron made sure he was close enough to use the 8x57 and it had no problems with the larger bulls.

To get DRT results with body shots, IMHO Allan McKenzie was right in recommending the .338WM as a minimum or otherwise spinal shots are needed. I'll take the 9.3x62 next time and the .264WM.

The .243 was the 'go to rifle' for most shooting and really is versatile out there with 100 grainers.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: tophet1]
      #184435 - 23/06/11 04:58 PM

Fantastic! Well-done to you and Cameron! The desert is daunting, but magical, and the shooting and hunting can be phenomenal. Many happy returns of the trip to you.

GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
      #184437 - 23/06/11 05:11 PM

Hi Mate,
Great report and nice shooting.
I was always under the impression that you needed much large calibre's for camel.
Looks like I will need to investigate the 175gn Woodlieghs for my 7x57. Out of curiosity, what where the 100gn in the .243?
George

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: GK]
      #184438 - 23/06/11 05:25 PM

The 100's were Sierra SptBt's. Cameron loves the Nosler Partition and I will try to find a load in the next few weeks but only if it is more accurate.

Your right Ben. The desert is magical.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #184439 - 23/06/11 06:20 PM

Hi John,

That was a really good report and it seems to another 'Father' that it was meant to be when you said the 'others' could not make it so you truly had a Father & Son time away, something that will go into the back of your mind for when you get as old as me...Ha Ha..

Cameron seems to love hunting and he is our future in Hunting, Well done to you both.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

P.S.

I note you went to the "Tree of Knowledge" it is a well known landmark but I must ask " Did you teach it something new"

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #184442 - 23/06/11 06:42 PM

The tree has been poisoned just like the "labour party".
Used to play football against "Barky" when I was at Longreach.

Great takeing your son but they dont cover 1/2 the fuel cost hey !!!!!!!.

Good on you both.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: FATBOY404]
      #184445 - 23/06/11 06:58 PM

^ and poisoned by whom as a symbolic gesture? Enquiring minds want to know if it was Rudd, Ludwig or Kaiser.

AFRO408
.333 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Arding NSW
      #184447 - 23/06/11 08:02 PM

Great story mate
Thoroughly enjoyable reading.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Flinch ? Wot flinch ? Gunsmithing is my PASSION.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: AFRO408]
      #184449 - 23/06/11 10:07 PM

Great story, wish I could have been there. How many kms did you cover ? best

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #184508 - 24/06/11 08:12 PM

Quote:

Great story, wish I could have been there. How many kms did you cover ? best

Mike, total trip kms was 3,993km. We drove 350km (at 30kph) on the property and only covered about 1/3 of it. Our host owns a total of 1.2 million acres in that part of Australia which is spread over at least 2+ different propertys.

Camels are a feral introduced pests. IMHO a 'must do' and great practise for bigger bore owners. Not a challenging 'hunt' if you believe suffering and effort makes a successful trip.

Camels can double their population every 9 years and for every Kangaroo out there you will see 100 camels. They are becoming that common. It will become a more recognised problem once they reach major population areas.

I have finished boiling the skull and the brain cavity is not very large and flat'ish' across the crown of the skull. A brain shot needs to go inbetween the eye and ear but not below that line. The skull bone is not that thick.

The Minister for War and Finance has granted permission to return in November when temperatures will be between 21 C at night and 39 C during the day. Game will be concentrated on the water and I will be still hunting for pigs over waterholes. Cam is taking a mate and they can do the hard yards

I want to spend more time up in the Simpson Desert which I found strangely spiritual in its uniqueness.

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
      #184513 - 24/06/11 10:25 PM

Trophet- sounds like the 264 went well , did you recover any 140 woodleighs. If so any pics. Well done. Mick

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: 264]
      #185679 - 12/07/11 08:58 AM

No projjies recoverd sorry Mick. Maybe next time.

We saw feral pigs and there are dingo on the place. Running out of ammo was a real pain.

We have heard via a third party that we are more than welcome to go back.

I am going to plan to go in November with my son again and his best mate as that is what they want for a High School graduation present. Usually they all go to the Gold Coast for 'schoolies', get drunk, take drugs and shag endlessly. I guess these blokes are getting plenty at home !

Temperatures then will be 21 C at night to 39 C during the day. We will set up two portable camps so we can get out earlier and stay out later without the need to set up camp. The ferals will be concentrated on the water then and our chances of pig and dingo will increase.

We saw a few Red Kangaroos out there. They are absolutely MASSIVE compared to the eastern grey kangaroos we have locally.

I've had a few enquiries from US and UK hunters interested in this type of back to basics adventure and I may have to 'make a plan'. Due to the distances though I very much doubt it is commercially viable. Also planning to go Aug 2012 with a few local blokes who have hunted internationally. The place is that different it's got me hooked.

There is 1,200 squ km of wilderness in the middle of the property. No roads or water, but plenty of camels who come out to the watering points. The ideal hunt would be to get the owner to chopper us in and then walk out.

Ben
.400 member

#185686 - 12/07/11 09:45 AM

It may pay you to wait on the water if there is some shade to do so, when you return at the end of the year.

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: Ben]
      #185692 - 12/07/11 11:15 AM

Quote:

It may pay you to wait on the water if there is some shade to do so, when you return at the end of the year.

That's the plan my friend. Stay off downwind 500-600 metres and walk in every 60-90 minutes. We probably won't move around much between 9am and 4pm.

Ben
.400 member

#185696 - 12/07/11 12:57 PM

Good plan; I've never tried that. We always just waited as close to the water as possible, and either the game would just stroll straight-in, or else it would approach to well-within range before hitting the wall and pausing bewildered long-enough to collect a bullet. That may save you some leg work, and I suspect it will be easier to stay concealed closer and surprise the blighters than to approach concealed (at least with the camels and dogs). Try both! Although it may be dictated by available shade.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #185698 - 12/07/11 02:02 PM

Congratulations John,

that is a good write up on a good trip and good pic's. Glad Cam enjoyed himself.

Cheers

Greg

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: Rule303]
      #185704 - 12/07/11 09:08 PM

Nice work, glad to see you guys had a great trip. Desert nights are awesome so black and so many stars.

Regards,

MOG

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: Cinghiale]
      #191173 - 03/10/11 12:15 AM

John: Thanks for the excellent write-up and photos. The camels' reaction to being shot sounds similar to our North American moose. Not terribly impressed upon receiving the fatal bullet, then decide they are dead ...

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #192139 - 19/10/11 10:10 PM

Thanks John.

Camel hunts are the way to go now:LOL.

One day John.. one day...

GH
.224 member

Reged: 04/08/09
Loc: London, England
Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: rigbymauser]
      #192470 - 25/10/11 01:49 PM

Nicely done John, great report and hunt.

I look forward to the sequel.

Best,

Amir

--------------------
none

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Camel Hunt Report [Re: GH]
      #192591 - 27/10/11 02:06 AM

Some good desert action. Thanks for posting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6634

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com