Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double rifle project, calibre 9.3x74R

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
MaxGera
.275 member

Reged: 15/02/12
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Double rifle project, calibre 9.3x74R [Re: AkMike]
      #203537 - 24/02/12 12:00 PM

Hi Ron,

Great job blending the barrels to the monoblock.

I use a totally different set-up for chambering barrels. It allows me to finish chamber to the correct headspace within .001" the first time every time.

Mounting the reamer to the saddle allows a better feel for the cutting and I can center the reamer holder much easier than the tailstock.

All I do, is get the reamer in by eye until about 1/8" from finish. Then I set the indicator to Zero.
Next, I measure with the headspace gage to see how much more I need. Then I simply go in until I get the correct reading on the indicator. Works every time.

--------------------
To get things done, stop talking and start doing!

Edited by CptCurl (04/04/12 08:38 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
      #203546 - 24/02/12 01:05 PM

That's hugely useful info, Mike. Thanks a bunch!

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Double rifle project, calibre 9.3x74R [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #203573 - 24/02/12 04:48 PM

I wondered if you'd done and comparisons and hoped this may help.
One note though. the one with the .480 has sculpted barrels that are different/unique from any I've seen before. Even at the chamber area. PM me you email and I'll send pics of this tiny beast.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

chipmaker
.224 member

Reged: 25/06/11
Loc: San Diego, CA,USA
      #204440 - 04/03/12 03:39 PM

Max
Could you describe how you center the reamer holder in the lathe saddle?
Otto

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Double rifle project, calibre 9.3x74R [Re: chipmaker]
      #206186 - 30/03/12 03:34 AM

I've had to put this job aside for the last few months, due to a couple of major "honey-do" projects which are now pretty much completed. I spent a few hours machining two spacers to be welded between the barrels. Here is a photo of the barrel assembly, spacers in place, and everything carefully clamped to a rigid section of aluminum I-beam, ready to go to the TIG welder.

Edited by CptCurl (04/04/12 08:39 PM)

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#206190 - 30/03/12 05:06 AM

Here we are back from the welder.

Photo #1 show barrels with the two spacers and the fore end hanger welded into place. I've spent a bit of time cleaning up the weld around the hanger but still have to stone the area.

Photo #2 is a close-up view of one of the welded--in spacers.

Photo #3 shows the fore arm assembly fitted to the hanger, after some careful filing and stoning of the notch so that it juuust snaps into place

More to come.

Edited by CptCurl (04/04/12 08:40 PM)

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #206201 - 30/03/12 09:06 AM

Awesome job, great to see it coming along, I think you are getting even better, looks nicer than a lot of factory jobs !

Thank you for sharing !

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
Re: Double rifle project, calibre 9.3x74R [Re: Sarg]
      #206537 - 05/04/12 06:50 AM

Ron I have found using a live center made by Concentric tool works very well for turning down barrels with no chatter. I will see if I can find a reference picture.

http://www.riten.com/products/live-centers/spring-loaded-concentric-greber-live-centers.html

Edited by buckbrush (05/04/12 06:53 AM)

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Double rifle project, calibre 9.3x74R [Re: buckbrush]
      #211881 - 02/07/12 10:23 AM

I've been away from this project for too long due to a number of "honey-do" jobs and a fishing trip to Guatemala. I got back at it this past week and got a bit accomplished. I took the barrels to the micro-welder and had him fill in the seam in the rear face between the barrels and the mono-block. After some careful filing, smoking-in. and stoning, the barrels are back on the face and there is no longer any seam visible. I then finished cutting the chambers that last few thou and have good tight headspace.Here are two photos of that work:

I also spent quite a few hours smoking-in and filing the top rib until it fits perfectly on the barrels. I wish I had a dollar for every time that I screwed on and then un-screwed that rib this week past! Here are two photos of that work:

I'm now ready to pre-tin the top and bottom ribs and the barrels with Hi-Force solder and then do final assembly, hopefully by the end of this coming week. More photos in a few days.

Edited by CptCurl (03/07/12 09:56 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #211889 - 02/07/12 04:43 PM

Quote:

I'm now ready to pre-tin the top and bottom ribs

OK, I´m just pondering if you will shoot trap with yours double...
Looks very good !

Edited by Igorrock (02/07/12 10:49 PM)

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #212209 - 07/07/12 09:12 AM

Ron,
A friend of mine and I have been following this build and we wanted to ask you a question about something that we can't figure out. I know you had the barrels clamped down and spaced out on an Aluminum I beam, but how can you have that many spacers welded in place before you start to regulate the gun? It looks to me like all of them except the front spacer are welded permanently together. Do you get enough adjustment between the front and the next spacer to get it regulated?
Just wondering and couldn't figure it out. I really like this build and I think you will be happy with this caliber. Bob

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Double rifle project, calibre 9.3x74R [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #212211 - 07/07/12 10:56 AM

Bob,
All of the spacers ARE welded into place, except for the one at the muzzle. However, I do a lot of measuring and layout work, before I machine those spacers, calculated to give me about .002" /.003" of convergence, in the last 6 inches. That is easy to regulate with the tapered wedge between the muzzles, at least it has been so far. I hope that I don't end up eating those words on this build. I'm just heading down to my shop to do the final carding on all of the reamaining small parts,ie: safety slide, firing pin bushings, screws, etc. Tomorrow morning I'm starting to blue the action.

4al2
.224 member

Reged: 27/09/11
Loc: delaware usa
      #212212 - 07/07/12 12:05 PM

Where can we find a Aluminum I beam? also what size clamps? i to is following this project.

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Double rifle project, calibre 9.3x74R [Re: 4al2]
      #212496 - 11/07/12 09:05 AM

When I bought this BRNO, it was covered with rust, some of which was pretty deep pits. It was not what I would have chosen but was the ONLY 16 gauge that I was able to find, after a year of searching. Of course, that darned Irishman Murphy came into play and I found another, in almost pristine condition, after I'd already cut up this one and was well along with the conversion. Now I'm going to have a cased pair, rifle AND shotgun, when I'm finished.

At any rate, after many hours of draw filing and stoning, I made "a silk purse out of a sow's ear".
Sunday night I finished the last carding on the action, let it sit in water-displacing oil for 24 hours, and yesterday spent a few hours putting all of the "bits', as the Brits say, back together. Here are a few photos of the finished product.

Now on to tinning the barrels and ribs and assembling them.

Edited by CptCurl (14/07/12 10:28 PM)

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#213500 - 27/07/12 03:30 AM

Rather than use a very thin filler rib behind the forend hanger, I filed one up out of stock that was about .100" thick. Yesterday I took it to the "welding magician" and had him TIG it into place. Then I drove over to my tool and die maker friend's house and we set it up in the Bridgeport mill in his garage. We were then able to drill, counterbore, and tap near the front of the quarter rib, for an 8-40 screw, which fastens into the filler rib. This gives me two hold-down screws, the other goes into the original top rib extension. The rear screw will be hidden under the rear scope base. The front screw will be hidden under the rear express sight base. I find that doing the job this way really simplifies the job of soldering the ribs on. Everything is "dead-nuts" square and true and it's impossible for the assembly to shift during the soldering process. Here are a couple of photos showing the "rough-in":

Today I spent a couple of hours with a small grinding head in the Dremel tool, then with progessively finer machinists' stones, polishing down the welds, while the area was flooded with Varsol. Then I drilled and tapped a 6-48 drain hole and installed a plug screw. Here are a couple of photos of where I'm at now:

More to come.

Edited by CptCurl (29/07/12 12:20 AM)

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#213619 - 29/07/12 08:10 AM

Today I got started on final assembly. In the first photo I've finished pre-tinning the top and bottom ribs with Hi-Force 44 solder and acid flux and am just starting to pre-tin the barrels.

Once that was finished, and everything had cooled down, I took the three pieces to the laundry tubs and scrubbed them well with HOT water and a strong cleaner. This is absolutely necessary in order to get rid of the acid flux before final assembly. Otherwise. you'll have the acid causing rust in all of those hidden places.I then laid them in front of an old hair dryer, set on high, and went to watch the Olympics for half an hour while everything got good and hot and dried all the residual water. Then I painted all of the mating surfaces with a liquid ROSIN flux and clamped it all together. The next two photos show things set up in my Rube-Goldberg jig, Coleman stove in place, and ready for heat and solder.

Edited by CptCurl (31/07/12 11:19 AM)

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#213855 - 01/08/12 12:30 PM

I spent all day yesterday and a couple of hours this morning, scraping and stoning all of the burned flux and excess solder from the barrels. Then I took them to my tool and die maker friend's house where we set them up in the Bridgeport mill and machined the front sight ramp and the quarter rib down to their final height. Below are 4 photos of where things stand now.

Below is a shot of the barrels fitted onto the action. Tomorrow I'll take the gun to the range and put a half a dozen proof loads through it. Then it's time to cut the mortises and dovetails for the scope bases, front and rear sights, and the grooves in the front ramp to hold the hood. Still a ton of polishing to do but that will wait until after the regulation is complete.

Edited by CptCurl (02/08/12 10:24 PM)

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Florida USA.
      #214258 - 09/08/12 02:40 AM

Ron, your work is fab! I want one.

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Double rifle project, calibre 9.3x74R [Re: FrankFarmer]
      #214268 - 09/08/12 10:49 AM

How about I build you one and you can pay me for it with your Westley Richards/Farquarson .600 Nitro express? After finally getting the oportunity to shoot it, at my third annual Dangerous Game Shoot, I've suddenly developed a lust for one!

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#215739 - 29/08/12 02:08 AM

I've had a bit of a delay in this job. I found that the finished gun was going to come in at over 10 pounds, too heavy. I unsoldered and removed the top rib. Then we set it up in the mill and milled out a 3/8" wide slot in the underside of the quarter rib and the front sight ramp. Then we milled the mortises for the scope bases, the dovetails for the front and rear sights, and the grooves for the front sight hood. Then of course I've had to re-solder the ramp and scrape and stone all of the excess solder and flux away. The photos below show the gun with scope bases, sights, and hood installed and the top of the quarter rib and the front sight ramp matted with a 40 LPI checkering file. The finished weight is now 9 lbs 3 oz. Now I'm ready to start regulating her.

Edited by CptCurl (06/10/12 09:49 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

#215786 - 30/08/12 06:12 AM

Looks still very good but why quarter rib and the front sight ramp are so high ?

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Double rifle project, calibre 9.3x74R [Re: Igorrock]
      #215789 - 30/08/12 08:09 AM

For two reasons,
First; If the quarter rib had been machined any lower, the release levers for the QRW scope mounts would hit the barrel, making removal much too slow.
Second; I am 6'10"(208cm) tall. The higher rib is MUCH quicker for me to use. When I throw this rifle to my shoulder, eyes closed, then open my eyes, I'm looking right through the scope and dead on target. It's about practicality for me, rather than looks!

Igorrock
.400 member

#215794 - 30/08/12 03:27 PM

Quote:

It's about practicality for me, rather than looks!

Good reasons !

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Double rifle project, calibre 9.3x74R [Re: Igorrock]
      #216441 - 10/09/12 01:12 AM

About a week ago, I received a pair of Leupold, matte black, medium height, QRW rings. I have since altered the locking levers so that they clear the tops of the barrels, rust-blued them, and have everything installed and ready for regulation. The first two photos show the rifle wearing its scope, which is a Leupold Vari-X III, 1.75x-5x, matte black finish, heavy duplex reticle.

The third photo shows a comparison between a factory-original locking lever and one which I have altered by hot-forging, filing all contours smooth and round, polishing with stones, and rust bluing. They now look better, are a lot easier on the thumb and fingers with their rounded edges, and they clear the barrels without having to pull them out every 360 degrees. I can now crank these levers undone and remove the scope in just a few seconds. This is the only system that I've been able to come up with, short of very expensive claw mounts, which is fast, secure, returns to zero, and does not leave unsightly levers on the rifle when the scope is removed.

Edited by CptCurl (06/10/12 09:50 PM)

Northman
.275 member

Reged: 06/09/05
Loc: Troms, Norway, 72*North
      #218539 - 28/10/12 11:31 PM

What about Talley mounts machined into the 1/4 rib?

Looks really nice on the Hang single shot rifles.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 47701

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com