Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stainless mauser actions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Stainless mauser actions
      #18509 - 27/08/04 05:11 PM

I am looking to build a rifle based on a stainless mauser action. I am currently leaning towards a Ruger. Any other suggestions and reasons why? Thanks.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AdamTayler
.375 member

Re: Stainless mauser actions [Re: AdamTayler]
      #19078 - 08/09/04 04:02 PM

Ok, how about this. Ruger Mk II or Browning A-bolt?

--------------------

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #19086 - 09/09/04 03:04 AM

How about the Winchester M70?

AdamTayler
.375 member

Re: Stainless mauser actions [Re: DPhillips]
      #19090 - 09/09/04 11:35 AM

Why would you pick the Win 70 over the other two actions? I would like any opinions and reasons why one action over another. I would like to get one made by CZ but it is only available for the WSM's at this time. Thanks

Adam

--------------------

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
      #19091 - 09/09/04 11:41 AM

First of all, what cartridge are you considering?

A rifle to shoot a 275 rigby, or 280 remmington is one thing, but one for my 505 Gibbs is something enterly different!!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

DPhillips
.375 member

#19097 - 09/09/04 02:13 PM

Adam,
Sorry, I wasn't choosing the M70 over any others, just giving you another option.

I agree with Gibbs, first decide on the chambering, then work from there to the appropriate action. I do like the M70, and the Ruger (though I like the safety wing on the M70 better the Ruger seems to small, also like the Win trigger better than the Ruger). I do love my M98 too.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Re: Stainless mauser actions [Re: Gibbs505]
      #19099 - 09/09/04 04:01 PM

338-06 with a 26" barrel in a #4 contour.

--------------------

AdamTayler
.375 member

#19100 - 09/09/04 04:10 PM

DP

I wasn't getting defensive, I'm just trying to be well informed before making the final decision. What I like about the M98 as well is that I can have a double set trigger installed. I heard that the Win safety can be rather noisey.

Adam

--------------------

DPhillips
.375 member

#19110 - 10/09/04 03:44 AM

I understand, these message boards are hard to catch the tone of a post sometimes.

The safety on the Winchester isn't the quietest thing in the world, but doesn't seem to be enough to spook game, as far as I can tell. You can ease it off with two fingers and it will be a little quieter. You might try a few at a gunshop close by and see if you are comfortable with it.

I don't know of a stainless Mauser action, maybe an Olympic or Vecktor? Awfully spendy if you go that route. Even here in Alaska I haven't had problems with blued actions, and I don't own a stainless rifle anymore. If really want a stainless type protection (or even more so), you might check with some of the aftermarket finish companies. There's a new Ceramic type coating that can be applied to the exterior of the action and barrel. The one I've seen and read reports about is Cerakote. I think a company called "Fit4Duty" or something like that, has the process down pretty well and is applying it to firearms.

Here's a link to their Website. Look for their Cerakote page, shows different colors also.
http://www.fit4duty.us/Cerakote.html

Hard Chroming might be another option.

Since you like the double set trigger, you might consider having a Kepplinger or Canjar single set trigger installed in the Winchester stainless. While it isn't the double trigger, you can push the Kepplinger forward and have the "set" down to as little as a couple of ounces, or up to about 2 pounds. Doesn't give you the look of the double triggers, though.

AdamTayler
.375 member

#19160 - 12/09/04 01:45 PM

What have you heard about teflon coating?

--------------------

AdamTayler
.375 member

#19791 - 17/10/04 02:17 AM

I have come across Charles Daly actions as well as M1999 Montana actions from www.serengetitradingco.com/ Does anyone have anything to say about these actions?

--------------------

Martin
.224 member

Reged: 15/09/04
Loc: British
      #19814 - 19/10/04 07:10 AM

Hi Adam.

I have become something of an "expert" recently regarding the various forms of coating. I too posted the same question as you and received conflicting replies. I ultimate received by far the best considered opinion from Mark Brown, the owner of Brown’s Precision, for which I am grateful. I trust he will not mind if I share his reply.

To summarise: If good coating is correctly applied it will wear better than any blueing. Unlike powder it can be used on all tolerance parts and can be applied inside the bolt, trigger, firing pin, under sights, inside scope mounts, etc. It will wear quickly where you have parts rubbing together but, apparently, one of the benefits of Teflon is that it penetrates the steel and so it will still not rust. (How, I do not know.) On tolerance parts it must be applied very thinly so it will not affect any part of the tolerance parts.

If I were building anything other than a "best" European gun, where blueing is aesthetically essential, I would definitely go with "good" Teflon coating. Powder is too thick, needs to be baked at too higher temperature and, I understand, cannot be applied to tolerance parts. I must add that I have no experience of either powder or Teflon, but personally would definately rely on Mark Brown's advice.

With regard to the Charles Daly stainless actions. I understand these are made in Yugoslavia. If they are anything like the Czech actions, and there is no reason to suppose they are not, they should be good. However, all inexpensive "eastern" actions need work to operate really well, including machining the magazine specifically to the chosen calibre. Too many just leave them at a "general" size. This is important for perfect feed and to stop ammunition "bouncing around"; particularly if you wish to hunt DG. I am not an engineer, but stainless steel is much harder so it is important to check whether they can, like conventional steel, be "worked" for a reasonable price.

I hope all this helps.

Martin

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Re: Stainless mauser actions [Re: Martin]
      #19857 - 20/10/04 11:05 AM

hmmm, great chambering... but my 35 Whelen is cooler!

as for the whole "which one" you've got to know your price-range.

IMO, the Winchester is superior to the Ruger, the one's I've used just seem to work better and smoother. the Browning is a god-aweful abomination in my mind... it doesn't have a natural pull to it, its just off. and its ugly (and I thought they were push-feeds??).

from there you have to look to the high-dollar custom-type actions, and I don't know antthing about any of them.

Those are just my thoughts. the USRAC has it in my book.

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

AdamTayler
.375 member

Re: Stainless mauser actions [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #19879 - 20/10/04 05:20 PM

dasMafia

Yes, the Browning is a push feed but I thought at one time in production it was a mauser based action, like Sako used to be. Unfortunately they would have been before stainless came along. In regards to the Winchester working better and smoother, are you talking about feeding and extraction? Can you expand on your observations? Thanks

Adam

--------------------

AdamTayler
.375 member

#19880 - 20/10/04 05:27 PM

Martin

I've read elsewhere that the fit and finish is quite rough on the Daly's, though I've never held one in my hand. A friend of mine said he remembers reading an article about an Italian made action but he can not remember who it was.

Adam

--------------------

Martin
.224 member

Reged: 15/09/04
Loc: British
      #19885 - 20/10/04 11:28 PM

Hi Adam.

Sorry, but I cannot help regarding Italian actions as I have no experience of them. But it is important to remember that all inexpensive “Mauser” actions from Europe tend to be a little “rough” out of the box. See Will’s post CZ 550 – 416 Rigby 20/10/04.

Not all European Mauser actions are like this; Mauser actions made by Herstal in Belgium are available and are superb – but expensive and not built in S/S. The real problem is that you seem to want a “Mauser” action but you also want it built in S/S. Personally, if I were building a big bore DG rifle on a modestly priced Mauser action, I would most definitely not build it on a Charles Daly S/S action – it is simply too much of an unknown quantity.

Surely, if you want a reasonably priced Mauser action, the CZ must be the way to go. With enough work, and perhaps a better safety, they can be made really nice, but of course will never feel like a Sako. Perhaps someone who has had one of AHR’s 550 DG CZ rifles built could post on this, I understand they have got it right. If you are intent on S/S, forget European and Mauser actions Adam and look to the U.S.

Do I understand your earlier post correctly; that CZ magnum actions are not available in the U.S.?

Martin

450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
      #19901 - 21/10/04 10:41 AM

Gee,.. I guess that would be me!.. Adam, I would build something on a CZ action and have it Electroless- nickled, I assume you want an all stainless gun, then have them screw on a SS barrel.Works awsome and very durable, preferably from somebody like AHR.. I had one and it was fantastic.. Like an idiot, sold it. when I get done with my caliber experiments and other hold-ups, I plan on having them build another...

450Dakota

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Stainless mauser actions [Re: 450Dakota]
      #19920 - 22/10/04 06:21 AM

I think that was what Weatherby was doing when they first introduced their "stainless" Mark V's. I had one that was Electroless Nickeled action with a stainless tube.

AdamTayler
.375 member

#19935 - 22/10/04 05:39 PM

Martin

CZ magnum actions are available here, it was the stainless action that I was refering to that they use for their new model 3. This rifle is made in the US from what I understand, and is centered around the WSM family.

Adam

--------------------

DPhillips
.375 member

#19946 - 23/10/04 02:25 AM

Adam, if I'm not mistaken, I think the CZ model 3 you are referring to is a Montana Rifleman action.

AdamTayler
.375 member

#20009 - 25/10/04 02:55 PM

Yes, you are correct. I just read articles in "Rifle" and "Deer and Big Game Rifles" about them.

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #20886 - 14/11/04 06:00 PM

Adam,

Nesika Bay who made the Arnold Arms Apollo actions in Chrome moly as well as stainless steel are planning to bring them out again. This was a CRF action and they may sell it under the Dakota name as both companies are owned by the same group.

There is a custom riflemaker Stuart Satterlee who also makes these on a one off basis and if you want to contact him, let me know. Stuart also has some titanium mauser actions for sale though these are only in the kurz size.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

lapsub
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/04
      #22087 - 11/12/04 03:07 AM

good morning, gentlemen

the new charles daly s/s mauser actions are made by the fine old serbian gunmaker "zastava" which used to be the yugoslav national arsenal which made the mark X mausers.

they also made actions for one of the low-end "english" mauser makers, i think parker-hale (or was it whitworth?).

before the formation of yugoslavia at the end of WW I, zastava was the royal serbian arsenal going back to the 1850's.

zastava has a website with tons of info in english as well as in serbian.

i have not seen the new s/s actions but my mark X is a fine action.

by the way, to a "mauser-man" such as myself, the winchester model 70 is not a "real" mauser 98 action because they dropped the 3rd lug from the design.
heresy!!! ;-)
but seriously, the M98's safety lug is a very real virtue.

the gent who mentioned older brownings being mausers is 100% correct. those M98 rifles were made by Fabrique Nacional d'Armes de Guerre (National Factory of Arms of War) usually abbreviated to "F.N." in Herstal, Belgium.

FN and browning had a long intertwined relationship. when somebody brags about his browning superposed shotgun being a "belgian browning", it means made by FN. some early weatherby's were also made on FN mauser 98 actions, as well as on german actions.

the browning FN actions are top-notch, but not stainless of course.

FN's history is also intertwined with mauser's. the chap who bought out the mauser brothers and merged their gunmaking operation into his own (to form DWM) also owned a huge stake in FN. his name was ludwig loewe. and he licensed the mauser patents to FN to make mausers for the belgian government.

regards

lapsub

lapsub
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Re: Stainless mauser actions [Re: lapsub]
      #22092 - 11/12/04 03:47 AM

i found the URL for zastava's english-language website:

http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/english/zastava.htm

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Stainless mauser actions [Re: lapsub]
      #22298 - 16/12/04 08:50 PM

I am in the middle of having a rifle made on a LH Charles Daly (Zastava) action & a 23" Duglas barrel chambered for 35 Whelen. It should be done by the midle of next month. It will have a McMillen stock. A fine working gun

I was very pleased with the Zastava action when I saw it. It was much nicer than I had expected after reading so many expert opinions on it from arm chair gun smiths & rifle critics on the net. Most of whom I am sure hear something & then repeat it as gospel to all that will listen.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9681

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com