Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Binocular magnification

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Binocular magnification
      #184185 - 19/06/11 07:03 PM

Just wanted to do a quick poll on what binocular magnification you all use or prefer?
Have also added objective lens size and brand....
All comments welcome
What magnification do you prefer?
You may choose only one
7x
8x
8.5x
10x
12x
Other
What objective lens size dou you prefer?
You may choose only one
Compact 20-25mm
Traveler 30-32mm
Full size 40-45mm
50mm
56mm
Which brand is you favourite?
You may choose only one
Swarovski
Leica
Zeiss
Nikon
Other

Votes accepted from (19/06/11 07:02 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Binocular magnification [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #184190 - 19/06/11 08:52 PM

You missed the best of all, the Leupold Katmai 6x32mm Binoculars. The resolution is terrific, and people with higher magnification binoculars are always surprised that they can see better with mine than theirs.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Binocular magnification [Re: Tatume]
      #184223 - 20/06/11 09:58 AM

Think this definitely depends on what you are doing, where you are hunting, game, etc..when I hunt in Africa I prefer a 8x as the distance is usually not that far, they are lighter, and offer plenty of what is needed to get the job done...however when in N America and glassing for game across canyons or in Alaska looking across the tundra actually prefer my 10x42's ...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Binocular magnification [Re: Ripp]
      #184224 - 20/06/11 10:15 AM

Just the other late afternoon I had Rono here and we sat in the same patch of fern that JH had watched from on his recent travel jaunt. I spotted a spikey, a hind and a big calf 100 yards from us right on dark under the shadows of the tea tree.
Rono was using 10x Steiners,mine were 10x Swaro`s and it wasnt until I passed him mine that he was able to see any of them.
The top brands really prove themselves in these situations at either end of the day. I wont give a cussas to how good bino`s are in good light anywhere including looking up the street at midday evaluating a pair out the front of the bino store.Its the extremely poor light conditions that the top three really shine in.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Binocular magnification [Re: gryphon]
      #184225 - 20/06/11 10:18 AM

Agree Gryphon.

If you have to test Bino's during the day, I find the only way to at least tell the difference is to find a building with one side in deep shadow or a deep doorway with shadow
and look into that. You do get a difference between them
even on this small scale test.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Binocular magnification [Re: Ripp]
      #184248 - 20/06/11 09:58 PM

Quote:

Think this definitely depends on what you are doing, where you are hunting, game, etc..when I hunt in Africa I prefer a 8x as the distance is usually not that far, they are lighter, and offer plenty of what is needed to get the job done...however when in N America and glassing for game across canyons or in Alaska looking across the tundra actually prefer my 10x42's ...

Ripp

+1 and with the 8x being 8x30.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Binocular magnification [Re: ozhunter]
      #184459 - 24/06/11 01:23 AM

Thanks for the information guys. I have a good pair of 10x42 ELs that are about 10yrs old now, great for open country, bright skys and longer range viewing, but not optimal for winter skies, early and late, in/around woodland and crop field edges.... I do find the 10x42 fatiguing to use under these conditions at times, which I can't fully explain, but suspect that it is due to a combination of magnification, field of view and exit pupil size.

I can't decide whether the solution is to get something with lower magnification e.g. 8x which would increase exit pupil size and supposedly be easier to use, but lose on detail definition due to a smaller image scale. Or whether to stick with 10x and get a bigger objective, like a 10x50. Or whether to do both and go for something like an 8x56.

I am pretty sure that I want the largest field of view that I can find, which is basically higher than I have now:

10x42 - 4.2mm EP and 112m FOV.

The models that I have found that most closely meet these criteria would appear to be

8x42 - 5.3mm EP and 130m (Leica HD), 135m (Zeiss FL) or 136m (Swaro SLC HD) FOV
8.5x42 - 4.9mm EP and 133m FOV (Swar EL)
8x50 - 6.3mm EP and 117m (Leica HD) or 123m (Swaro SLC - discontinued) FOV
8x56 - 7mm EP and 130m FOV (Zeiss FL)
10x50 - 5mm EP and 115m (Swaro EL) or 117m (Leica HD) FOV
10x56 - 5.6mm and 110m FOV (Zeiss FL)
I haven't had a chance to check models from Nikon or other makers yet.

Any thoughts?

You can tell that its been raining more or less solidly for 2 weeks now, can't you!

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#184480 - 24/06/11 07:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp

+1 and with the 8x being 8x30.

Yes I can see that for hot, bright conditions such as in Africa, 8x30/32 is probably ideal. I imagine a popular combination for Australia too?

I think I am quite sold on 8x, but probably with a bigger objective for the UK. I asked this question on a UK deer forum and 8x was overwhelmingly the most popular choice, but I foolishly forgot to ask the question about objective size.

Germans seem to love the 8x56 but I guess mainly for stand (high seat) hunting from dusk and into dark. Quite a hefty bit of kit to carry for stalking though!

There are some interesting names being suggested too. I haven't seen Leupold binoculars and others mentioned Minox and Optolyth, as well as Docter and Kahles.

Finding a dealer where you can compare brands may be a challenge too!

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #184502 - 24/06/11 05:19 PM

The Leica Ultravid or Zeiss Conquest in 8x50 would be a good option for slow stalking in low light conditions.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #184503 - 24/06/11 07:15 PM

I'm happy with my Swarovski ELs in 8.5x42.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Binocular magnification [Re: NitroX]
      #184712 - 27/06/11 08:16 PM

I asked this question on a UK and other international forum as well. Combined results (so far 160 votes) are as follows:

7x - 11%
8x - 45%
8.5x - 13%
10x - 28%
12x - 1%
Other - 1%

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #186105 - 19/07/11 06:31 PM

I have a pair of Steiner 7x50's that are touted to be the brightest glass in the world. They are bright, and the auto-focus system does work, but they are HEAVY. Tough, well thought out, and well made, they are bulky. I chose them for dusk and dawn work if I ever get around to do a leopard hunt.

I used them in Russia on a brown bear hunt. They worked well for spotting these brown behemoths against a snowy background. Even miles away, the bears could be seen in pine bushes feeding on pine cones. Seven power was more than enough given the clarity of these Steiners. The auto-focus worked exceedingly well in this environment. I never touched the focus adjustment once. As for climbing the hills with them bobbing around my neck...

Regards

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Binocular magnification [Re: albertan]
      #186113 - 19/07/11 08:17 PM

Yep! I've had a pair of pre unification MIL/Marine Commanders (mit kompass) since 1988. Manual focus as mine eyes are different dioptres. FWIW the older ones have purge valves for recharging with nitrogen. Steiner all the way!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3150

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com