Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifle Dilemma

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
mbogo375
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: southeastern Georgia
Double Rifle Dilemma
      #18384 - 24/08/04 02:48 AM

I posted this over on AR, but have not gotten much response there, so here goes. All opinions appreciated.

Recently I bought a used Trail Guns Armory 45/70 double (made by Pedersoli-predecessor of the Kodiak Mk IV double). My intention was to rechamber to 45-120, 450x3.25"NE, or 450 No.2 NE. Rifle weight is 11 pounds, so the weight would be proper for any of the above calibers. My target velocity was to be 2000 fps for a 450 to 480 grain bullet. Mostly I wanted a "cheap" double to play with at the range, but I might also take it to Africa at times rather than my vintage originals . I have had a couple of bad experiences with my rifles being temporarily lost on the flight over, and would hate to lose one of my favorites.

The bores were excellent and everything was tight and on face. The rifle had apparently been shot very little.

Sunday afternoon JudgeG came up for a visit, and we went out to the range for a couple of hours to shoot some rifles (both JudgeG's and my own). I had loaded a few rounds of 45/70's in 300 grain, 350 grain, and 405 grain with IMR 3031 at a reasonably brisk velocity, plus having a box of Winchester 300 grain factory and a box of factory Buffalo Bore 430 grain hard lead flat points at 1925 fps that came with the rifle.

Initial groups at 35 yards were from 3/4" to 1" with 300, 350, and 405 grain weights. All groups were very similar, and the only discernable difference was how high they were on the target with the different weights, and even this did not vary much. I was very pleasantly surprised, as I had not expected this level of regulation on a "cheap" double, nor had I expected that all three weights would group so well. This rifle seems more forgiving than any double that I have worked with of variations in bullet weight and velocity (even the anemic factory 300 grain load shot almost as close as the "warm" 300 grain handload). My theory is that this latitude may be due the extremely heavy barrels (about .820 at the muzzle if I remember correctly!!!!!).

I then moved to 55 yards, and groups ranged from 1 1/4" to 2" for the same loads, and I tried the Buffalo Bore 430 grain at this range as well, with groups being well under 2". These results are obviously without load development, since this was the first time that I had shot this rifle. In all cases there was no "crossing", and the individual barrel groups were on the same horizontal plane, so adjusting the charge weight might tighten groups even more.

Now comes the dilemma........as well as the rifle is shooting now, do I take a chance of spoiling the accuracy of a double rifle that shoots this well by rechambering, or do I leave well enough alone and stay with the 45/70 (decisions, decisions )? What would you do ?

Thanks,
Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Re: Double Rifle Dilemma [Re: mbogo375]
      #18389 - 24/08/04 04:15 AM

This one is easy! You clean, properly oil, and store that rifle. You burn an incense stick in front of the cabinet once a week.

Then you go out and buy another rifle to mess with. If it's another Kodiak (Maybe in 9.3x74R?) be sure to let us know how it regulates. If they make a habit of this sort of thing I'll buy one.

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #18393 - 24/08/04 08:49 AM

If it were me I would be incline to keep that rifle just the way it is. If your goal is a plinking rifle 45-70 is a blast to shoot, inexpensive to reload and if you do any hunting here in GA would make a great caliber. If it were me I would buy another to play with and make a inexpensive Africa take along.

BTW I am also in GA. I spoke with JudgeG last week about a .475 I was looking at. I would like to meet up with you guys some time.

James F. Nixon III

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #18398 - 24/08/04 01:15 PM

This is an easy problem. You sell that rifle with a test target and the load data. Then put about $12K with the money from the sale and buy JudgeG's .475.

To answer your question directly, I consider the 45-70 doubles to be a fun toy and a good pig and deer gun. Personally I am way ovestocked on deer guns, and I really do not need more toys for plinking. So for me it is a dangerous game double or nothing. I would really like a drilling, but I have crossed that off my list as a toy as well.

The problem with rechambering is that if it does not work, you rifle is not worth much money at all.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #18412 - 24/08/04 11:17 PM

I'd keep it the same. the BB 430 loads are very close to the 450/500. Also the BB 430 and Garret have taken buff.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1884

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com