Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Husky 33 rolling block pressures

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: Husky 33 rolling block pressures [Re: DarylS]
      #184487 - 24/06/11 08:14 AM

Thanks Daryl. I hadn't thought about patching a jacketed slug but I am familiar with that bullet and I agree about the good chance of working as it should.
NOt alot of paper patching done around here but if it works and solves a problem, why not.
My only question is whether or not the paper will wear the bore faster or not. I was planning on lubing the patched bullet as well .

Thoughts?

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Husky 33 rolling block pressures [Re: Tom_H]
      #184536 - 25/06/11 02:25 AM

I always lubed the outside of the paper-patched bullet with a 50/50 mix of BW and Vaseline. It was soft enough to easily rub into the paper.

The barrel's throat and bore should be good for 15,000 to 30,000 rounds.

Ross Seyfried wrote a couple articles in Handloader magazine on paper patching jacketed bullets to increase their size where proper sized bullets were hard to find.
here is my patching board, set up for either .45 or .50 cal bullets. The groove, about 1/8" wide, allows the bullet and paper to start with a tighter fit together, than on a flat surface - at least that was the originator's intent and how it worked for me- and my brother. We both use patching boards. use of the board made it much easier for us to get a tight patch. The patch, is slightly 'wetted' and due to the cotton content, shrinks tightly to the bullet. I placed the 310gr. .375 lubed bulet on the board merely for effect. The steel plate is the patch cutting template wherein many patches can be cut at once - depending on the sharpness of the blade being used. Some people use an office paper shear, which also works very well.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by CptCurl (25/06/11 09:07 PM)

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: Husky 33 rolling block pressures [Re: DarylS]
      #184568 - 25/06/11 10:07 AM

Very nice Daryl.
That is useful. Currently working on the bullets and I'll see if I can get the lighter paper. I was considering my BP lube (beeswax, crisco, etc or liquid alox if I use smokeless.

Also, Fuhrmann, do you have the operating pressure for the 9.3x57r360?

Thanks

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Edited by Tom_H (25/06/11 10:09 AM)

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
Re: Husky 33 rolling block pressures [Re: Tom_H]
      #184591 - 25/06/11 10:35 PM

Tom,

I have never seen any published ballistic data or cartridge dimensions for the 9.3x57R/360.
I have discussed this with "Lancaster" from this forum a while ago, he knows a lot and obviously has a good library, but he also had no more information.

So I try not to exceed around 1200 - 1300 bar with my loads, which should be the expected blackpowder /nitro-for-black level.
Using the standard 12.5 gram bullets with Rottweil R901 I went as far as 530 - 540 meters per second muzzle velocity. The ballistic program Quickload says this is within 1300 bar pressure, and I get the German energy limit for hunting roe deer (1000 Joule at 100 meters), but I consider it quite max in my rifle. Similar loads could be done using Vihtavuori N120 or IMR 4198.
For a lighter load with lead bullets I use SR4759, muzzle velocity around 400 m/s.

Regards,
Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19461

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com