Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: optowood

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
ruffcountry
.300 member

Reged: 06/01/09
Loc: usa
optowood
      #183527 - 13/06/11 01:43 PM

I am really excitined to be in the process of buying a new Sabatti double 9.3x74 . I can choose between regular or optowood . My question is which should I choose ? The optowood is more appealing to my eye but which would be worth more , if in the future I was in position to trade up to bigger and or better rifle ?

--------------------
Double Rifle Shooters Society

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: optowood [Re: ruffcountry]
      #183534 - 13/06/11 02:16 PM

If you have the option to get 'Real' timber, try and upgrade the quality of the timber but make sure that they use a 'Quality' recoil pad not the normal type they fit as they are useless and will need to be replaced like myself and others who have a Sabatti.

They may have changed but make sure that you specify the 'Brand' of ammunition and bullet weight you want as they regulated mine with Kynamco which is not available in Australia, a real pain and lastly make sure they know that the regulation of the barrels is very important to you and that the barrels DO NOT cross which is also a trait.

Good luck and Cheers,

Jeff Gray

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: optowood [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #183703 - 15/06/11 02:02 AM

Jeff is correct mine crosses, I'm about ready to send it back to be re-regulated.

I've gone on the Cablea's web site and looked at several rifles listed for sale, most of them will show the final tuning target and the same test shooter has signed each target. Only two holes in each target and they don't indicate which is the right or left. I don't think they realize they are crossing, its fire two shots and if they are close that good. I'm giving mine one more try with lead gas check bullets, if that doesn't work its going back, Cablea's they would send it back if I'm not happy with it.
Bob

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: optowood [Re: aromakr]
      #183708 - 15/06/11 03:56 AM

Re Sabatti double rifles, are they actually regulated the traditional way at all? Or is the job attempted by using a cheaper less reliable method? ie the reason we are all seeing reports of why some rifles shoot well, and others have problems?

Jeff give some good advice above. Especially the bit of asking for effectively (my words) a money back guarantee the barrels are not crossing and are properly regulated when making a purchase.

There are always trade offs for lower prices on DRs, especially re regulation as it is a time consuming and expensive process.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#183721 - 15/06/11 07:59 AM

Quote:

Jeff is correct mine crosses, I'm about ready to send it back to be re-regulated.

I've gone on the Cablea's web site and looked at several rifles listed for sale, most of them will show the final tuning target and the same test shooter has signed each target. Only two holes in each target and they don't indicate which is the right or left. I don't think they realize they are crossing, its fire two shots and if they are close that good. I'm giving mine one more try with lead gas check bullets, if that doesn't work its going back, Cablea's they would send it back if I'm not happy with it.
Bob

Aromakr,

That is interesting about the one's for sale at Cabella's. Is it definately the same target used for all rifles but with a different rifle in the same case or can you see that they are all different except the target. Can you get a copy of these photo's from the adds and post them here or Email them to me ? another thing, forget your rifle working (maybe) with gas check bullets, that is BS as you could not hunt the big stuff, they are supposed to be regulated with a known brand of ammo.

As for having only 2 bullet holes on the target, mine has 3, none marked as left or right but is marked as the 'Final' target, Very Strange.

John,

I have been told about other problems here in Australia and will be speaking to the people concerned shortly and will let you know the outcome.

I hope and would like any-one else who has any problems to join in and pass on "Known & Provable" problems.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
      #183722 - 15/06/11 08:46 AM

Don't they take to the rifling with a file to regulate them ?.

Could you imagine "Jo Blow" with a file,then saying "OOPS".What happens then ?.

Great price but way too light in bigger calibers imo. The 9.3 is heavier than the 500NE.

Have fired the 500 and its not nice.Was firing a 500j in a 98 at the same time and it was fine.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: optowood [Re: FATBOY404]
      #183742 - 15/06/11 01:10 PM

Jeff:
Just go to Cabela's.com. Then to the Gun Library, on the left side of the window it will list the cities and states of each cabela's store, click on any of the stores and each store will have a list of the guns in there stock in alphabetical order. The Sabatti doubles will usually have a photo of the final tuning target, you can enlarge it enough to see who the tester was and the final tune. I went from store to store found about 6 or 7 that had targets all shot by the same person. You have to wonder, if there is only one person doing the tuning how much time is being devoted to each gun, and are they being regulated by grinding the crown or are they being adjusted properly?
Bob

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #183743 - 15/06/11 01:21 PM

Aromakr
It's not just grinding the crown but taking out the rifling.

They take to the muzzles with what is likely to be a high speed drill (ie butcher it) and take out some of the rifling to make it shoot - or in their eyes make it shoot.

ruffcountry
.300 member

Re: optowood [Re: 500Nitro]
      #183747 - 15/06/11 02:29 PM

Thanks for the replies , I am aware that some of these rifles have issues and that I might be taking somewhat of a chance buying one but this is about as far as my budget can stretch at this time . I have dreamed of owning a double for long enough , I am buying one ,hopefully I'm getting some pointers from here on what to watch out for .

--------------------

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#183748 - 15/06/11 02:43 PM

Hi Ruffcountry,

I understand your dream but may I make one LAST suggestion and that is.: Have the Dealer that you are purchasing the rifle from give you a signed Agreement that IF the rifle does not shoot as per the Test Target that HE will be responsible to have it fixed at no charge to you. All the test targets that I have seen do not show L1, R1, L2, R2 etc meaning that unless they do that, they can fire 2 shots from say the left barrel and none from the right and it looks like a real shooter but the test is not accurate.

Good Luck and enjoy the knowledge that you own a Double Rifle.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
      #183750 - 15/06/11 02:47 PM

ruffcontry.

I am not saying don't buy one as I am in the same boat as you with budget issues.

If they did or do a left hander and I can find one in 450-400 or 9.3x72 I would be tempted for sure.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: optowood [Re: FATBOY404]
      #183752 - 15/06/11 02:54 PM

ruffcountry

Cabelas in the US has been offering full refunds on the guns if not happy.

Might be worth looking into.

ruffcountry
.300 member

#183753 - 15/06/11 03:20 PM

Thanks again for some things to think about . I knew this was the place to come for advice on a DR .

On a separate note , a few days ago I got to hold one of Baileys 22 hornet farquarson double rifles , very cool little gun .

--------------------

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #183760 - 15/06/11 05:16 PM

Quote:

Aromakr
It's not just grinding the crown but taking out the rifling.

They take to the muzzles with what is likely to be a high speed drill (ie butcher it) and take out some of the rifling to make it shoot - or in their eyes make it shoot.

Do they really do that? I've heard this before but have had experience with a rifle with a worn muzzle (ex-military rifle that has was damaged due to prolonged incorrect use of a pull through) and accuracy was absolutely non-existant - of 10 shots fired at a target at 50 yards only 3 hit and they were completly sideways.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: optowood [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #183761 - 15/06/11 05:31 PM

Yes, I'm afraid they do or have done.

We are all waiting to see if they change and do all of them properly (as in regulate the guns properly) the proper way.

They are well aware of the stink kicked up, they just don't seem to be that interested in fixing them correctly as has just been shown by one owner who sent it back and was told it would be rebarrelled to have it sent back to him with the barrels 1/4" shorter (and the front sight 1/4" shorter).

I really do hope they get everything squared away in the future as I really think their is a big market for a low cost DR that works (and NOT a Baikal / Remington).

ruffcountry
.300 member

#183974 - 17/06/11 09:21 AM

What about the so called "opto-wood" ?

--------------------

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#183976 - 17/06/11 12:24 PM

Hi Ruffcountry,

Sorry that your question was hijacked. This is from another site which will possibly answer your question.:

dpcd
one of us Posted 22 March 2011 01:21

I was in the Owatonna Cableas yesterday; they had two new Sabatti small frames: one 45-70 and one 9.3. The latter had, what looked like at first, 100% burl Turkish walnut on it. And they were reduced to $2750. There was a tiny logo in the corner of the grip checkering "OPTO WOOD", which has got to be the painted on stain/finish like Chaparral tried a few years ago. It actually looked good. Reddish stain with black swirls and burls. I forgot my phone so did not take a picture. And the muzzles were not ground in the least on that one. I am just reporting what I saw.

doubleriflejack
one of us Posted 04 May 2011 23:25 Hide Post

I did a bit of research, trying to determine exactly what this "opto wood" was. I learned that it is simply a finish painted or stained on, as mentioned above; is not a veneering process. To some, it may look good, but to the trained eye, able to distinguish real grain from man-made wood grain, it is a letdown. Personally, I would not be happy with it. Only nature can create real wood grain; man-made substitutes are second rate. However, let me say it again, some people would find it attractive.

tiggertate
one of us Posted 04 May 2011 23:50 Hide Post

I think its a water tank film like camo applications and like Beretta's XTra Wood. The pattern is printed in black over clear on a gelatin film that dissolves in water and the surface tension holds it on the water's surface until the wood is dunked in slowly, wrapping the grain print around the item. Then it gets a clear coat over the ink to hold it. Kinda like the burl wood dash panels in your old Chevy Impala except they at least use a real piece of wood on the Sabatti...

one of us Posted 05 May 2011 00:15 Hide Post

I don't know how long the process has been around, but it isn't new. Beretta made some shotguns several years ago with the same type of finish. It may still be available.

I think the process is the same as is used to apply the camo finishes to turkey guns, etc. The pattern is printed on a sheet and then immersed in liquid (maybe water?) where it floats on the surface. The object to be coated is dipped under the surface and the film sticks as it is raised out. It's hung up to dry and I think then sprayed with a clear coat.

No appeal to me but they look OK from a distance or in poor light. A real downside is that if you ever need to refinish your stock, you're in big trouble! I think a little stripper would result in some very plain wood.

Back in the 1840's some of the muzzle loading rifle manufacturers used acid to make fake curly maple stocks. I guess Opto Wood is the high tech equivalent.

RoyB
one of us Posted 05 May 2011 15:43 Hide Post

I was just up at Cabellas in Me, they have three Sabatti on display. One in 45-70 had the most amazing piece of wood I'd seen in a while.....I had the clerk remove the rifle from the cabinet so I could examine it. Up close I couldn't tell that it wasn't real AAAA wood. I failed to see the "opto" trademark. But darn if it didn't look very nice..........but, like fake boobies, it just ain't real!

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Empire375
.300 member

Reged: 18/08/09
      #183978 - 17/06/11 12:36 PM

Fake boobies are fine. Actually they are a godsend.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: optowood [Re: Empire375]
      #183979 - 17/06/11 12:39 PM

Quote:

Fake boobies are fine. Actually they are a godsend.

Anything more than a mouthful is a waste..

ruffcountry
.300 member

#183989 - 17/06/11 03:04 PM

Quote:

I think a little stripper would result in some very plain wood.

I think you're right on there ,especially if that little stripper had some big ole fake b bies .

sorry I couldn't resist

Edited by ruffcountry (18/06/11 01:04 AM)

Empire375
.300 member

Reged: 18/08/09
      #183990 - 17/06/11 03:24 PM

I think he have a very apt analogy

Maybe optowood and fake boobies are the same in that they upgrade what would normally be a pretty ordinary unit ?

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: optowood [Re: Empire375]
      #183991 - 17/06/11 03:26 PM

You don't look at the mantlepiece while you're stoking the fire.

DC

ruffcountry
.300 member

Re: optowood [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #184037 - 18/06/11 05:21 AM

OK , back to the opto wood , I am now thinking that I will go with the regular wood (I think its plain walnut) and that I might redo the finish with nice hand rubbed oil .

--------------------

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#184055 - 18/06/11 11:25 AM

Hi ruffcountry,

I hope that the post I done was of some help even though it was 'hijacked' or should that have been 'Boob Jacked' either way your now on the right track.

There is nothing nicer IMHO than a nice rich blue barrel and English Oil finished Walnut stock.

Good luck and join the ranks of a Sabatti owner.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

ruffcountry
.300 member

#184077 - 18/06/11 03:06 PM

Yes , Jeff , thank you . Your post was very helpful , now I have a better understanding of what optowood is . I liked the opto wood when I first saw it at distance but the closer I looked the less I liked it .

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15213

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com