Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leica Magnus rifle scopes

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Leica Magnus rifle scopes
      #182974 - 01/06/11 11:46 PM

Leicas with illuminated reticles!
http://uk.leica-camera.com/sport_optics/rifle_scopes_magnus/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Leica Magnus rifle scopes [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #183163 - 07/06/11 01:41 AM

Interestingly had a discussion with another member of NE this week about Leica scopes and it was suggested they are or could be made by Leupold (?). True or not? What do people here think?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Leica Magnus rifle scopes [Re: NitroX]
      #183180 - 07/06/11 05:28 AM

I heard the same about them when they first came out - i.e. tubes and assembly by Leupold for the US market but Leica glass. Don't know about the current ER and Magnus scope though. I would have thought that they discontinued that arrangement and make the whole lot in house now, but I don't know.

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
      #183711 - 15/06/11 05:34 AM

I don't like where the battery and controls for the reticle illumination are placed.

A scope series with steel, one inch tube, would catch my interest.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

Anjin
.224 member

Reged: 08/04/11
Loc: JAPAN
Re: Leica Magnus rifle scopes [Re: NitroX]
      #195148 - 28/11/11 07:52 PM

Quote:

Interestingly had a discussion with another member of NE this week about Leica scopes and it was suggested they are or could be made by Leupold (?). True or not? What do people here think?

They do not actually come out and say so, but they definitely are made in the US by someone else, with Leitz glass and maybe other Leitz components. It is my understanding from various web info that Leupold is or was doing this assembly for others, so it is highly probable. With a lifetime guarantee, I'd say you are getting an outstanding product.

--------------------
Norm Solberg
American Lawyer In Japan
NRA Life Member for over 40 years

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Leica Magnus rifle scopes [Re: Anjin]
      #195151 - 28/11/11 08:13 PM

The Leica scopes I saw last week had "Made in Germany" on them.

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Loc: Australia
Re: Leica Magnus rifle scopes [Re: ozhunter]
      #195162 - 28/11/11 09:33 PM

Isn't there currently a court battle with Swarovski claiming patent infringement and subsequently trying to curtail worldwide sales?

Dr_Deer
.300 member

Reged: 23/02/09
Loc: Australia
Re: Leica Magnus rifle scopes [Re: Dr_Deer]
      #195344 - 30/11/11 09:57 AM

So does anyone have the latest news on this? http://www.swarovskioptik.com/en/press-releases/pr-en_legal-proceedings-against-leica

Quote:

LEGAL PROCEEDINGS AGAINST LEICA
back to overview
SWAROVSKI OPTIK has more evidence to support suspected infringement of valid intellectual property rights for its Z6 rifle scopes
Legal proceedings brought against Leica Camera AG in Germany and UK
Absam, Tyrol, 12 July 2011 – SWAROVSKI OPTIK has recently brought legal proceedings against Leica Camera AG at the Düsseldorf District Court to establish that there has been an infringement of its German utility model and in the UK for its European patent.

The Sport Optics division of Leica Camera AG presented a new range of rifle scopes called “Magnus” (models: 1-6.3x24, 1.5-10x42, 2.4-16x56) at this year’s IWA & OutdoorClassics in Nuremberg, held 11–14 March 2011, with the likely intention of launching it on the market at the end of 2011.

The cross sectional views published in the Leica product brochure, along with the specifications indicated for these rifle scopes, bear a striking resemblance to the optical and mechanical design of the SWAROVSKI OPTIK Z6 rifle scope range, which has already established itself since 2007 as a very successful, premium-class range of rifle scopes, achieving a high global turnover. An assessment made on the first day of the exhibition gave the patent law experts from SWAROVSKI OPTIK reasonable grounds to suspect a possible infringement of the patents granted in the UK (national part of a European patent) and in the US, and of a registered German utility model belonging to SWAROVSKI OPTIK. These intellectual property rights underpin the inventive achievement and innovative expertise of SWAROVSKI OPTIK. The management of Leica Camera AG were informed at IWA 2011, in the presence of a patent lawyer, of a possible intellectual property rights infringement, which may result, if confirmed, in compensation claims and even in the compulsory withdrawal of the Magnus rifle scopes from the market. Swarovski will endeavour, with the support of the court, to prevent the sale of Magnus rifle scopes as far as is possible.

The detailed examination which has been carried out in the meantime with patent law experts has revealed that Leica Camera AG has filed an opposition with the European Patent Office against the European patent granted to SWAROVSKI OPTIK and has further confirmed the suspicion that Leica Camera AG is using at least the existing German utility model of SWAROVSKI OPTIK in the Magnus rifle scopes. “In order to protect the company’s overall interests, along with our investments and observation optics expertise, we felt compelled to take legal action. Development results are a major asset of any technology company, especially when we’re constantly striving to set new standards of innovation in the high-end segment,” said Dr Gerd Schreiter, Executive Board Member for Technical Operations, commenting on the action taken.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Leica Magnus rifle scopes [Re: Yochanan]
      #196152 - 09/12/11 02:42 AM

Quote:

I don't like where the battery and controls for the reticle illumination are placed.

A scope series with steel, one inch tube, would catch my interest.

I agree, although it looks a little less obtrusive than the Swarovski Z6i illumination unit!
An illuminated 1in tube top-of-the range series by Zeiss/Swaro/Leica/etc is missing IMHO but I would take aluminium over steel any day!

jdemocko
.224 member

Reged: 22/01/09
Loc: NC
      #203717 - 25/02/12 10:06 PM

On 2 occasions I've had to send Leica optics back for repair or service. Their customer service was mediocre at best. Needless to say over the years I have thinned the Leica herd down to one pair of binoculars and don't plan on buying anything else. Their optics are great but I just have a problem with how they conduct themselves after the sale.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5085

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com