Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Beretta 455?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Beretta 455?
      #18262 - 21/08/04 03:04 AM

I see posts about Searcy, H&H, WR and so on, but what about these Italian doubles (The beretta side by side 455)?

Any good? How expensive? Quality? How are they compaired to the "usual" guns mantioned and discussed?

Erik D.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Beretta 455? [Re: EricD]
      #18265 - 21/08/04 05:13 AM

ErikD,

The Beretta 455 was a superb rifle - I say "was" because the latest Beretta catalogue doesn't list it though I hope the bean counters there didn't kill it for some reason!

I have seen one and it looken really beautifully made, though I would not be able to afford to buy one as they cost more than US$ 50000 new and without options.

I shall watch this thread to see what the experts have to say...

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #18266 - 21/08/04 05:29 AM

The Italians are making some great guns... there are some anglophiles out there that would disagreee, but the quality can't be argued with.

The Italians have done a great job in the last 10-years of investing in CNC machinery... and the results are obvious.

Beretta makes nice guns (of the ones that they still hand-build) but they have definietely fallen behind some of the better known "makers" (as opposed to "producers") of fine guns.

Fabbri, F.lli. Rizzini, Piotti, A&S (Famars) are making some of the finest guns available. An English gun is that... a gun & maker with lots of history, and you can't take anything away from them, BUT if there were $100K on the table and a new H&H or Purdey laying next to a new Fabbri or Rizzini - it would be a very tough choice for those that appreciate fit, finish, and attention to detial.

Peter Chapman is probably the English exception to that generalization, and most would agree that he's making the finest guns in England today.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #18268 - 21/08/04 05:49 AM

Beretta "Model 455"
Best self-opening sidelock double rifle in .470 N.E. Weight 11 ¾ lbs. Stock dimensions: 14 ¾"x 1 ¼"x 2 ¼"x 1/8" cast-off. Superb 26" chopper-lump "Bohler Steel" barrels with ¼ rib and 50yd. fixed/100yd. flip-up rear sight and ramp front sight. Bores absolutely 100% mint. Worlds finest reinforced, self-opening, Holland and Holland action with double underlugs, Holland hidden third fastener, bushed firing pins, ejectors, double triggers with articulated front trigger, non-automatic safety, and hand detachable side locks. Minimally engraved and gold inlaid case hardened action and locks are flawlessly finished and of superlative quality. Figured pistol-grip stock with rubber recoil pad and case hardened steel trap door compartment in the toe of the butt for two spare rounds of ammo. Splinter forend with lever release. I can't say enough about the overall quality and feel of this magnificent firearm except to say that it is the equal of any double rifle by any maker I have ever owned and it shoots just as good as it looks. If I were going after dangerous game on any continent this is a rifle I would not hesitate to take. Replacement cost well in excess of $60,000. Overall this specimen remains in 98% as new condition and is a bargain by any standard.

$29,500

http://www.drake.net/html/vintage2.html

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Beretta 455? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #18270 - 21/08/04 06:13 AM

In reply to:

The Beretta 455 was a superb rifle - I say "was" because the latest Beretta catalogue doesn't list it though I hope the bean counters there didn't kill it for some reason!

Mehul,

I went and looked at the cataloge I have here and saw that it's from 2003. So perhaps you have a newer one (2004). Mind you, my cataloge is the "worldwide" version, and has all the fancy stuff in it too, unlike some other Beretta cataloges I've seen in the past which only had the "standard" guns.

Anyway, It's a beautiful gun, and although I can guarantee you I'll never own one, I hope they continue to make them!

Erik D.

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
      #18278 - 21/08/04 08:32 AM

At the Vegas show last year, there was a Beretta 9.3x74 O/U double rifle barely used for only $4200. It was quite light weight which is possible with this caliber.

Spring
.300 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Georgia
      #18310 - 22/08/04 07:23 AM

The picture of the 455 in this thread is actually my gun! I bought it last spring and truly love it. Don't know when Lewis Drake is going to take it off his web site. This particular gun was featured in the winter 2003 edition of The Double Gun Journal ( Page 1, Page 2). The gun was also featured in the March/April issue of Sporting Classics.
The gun is a sidelock and shoots beautifully. Extremely accurate. I was shooting it last week and had to get on my knees once in order to determine that a second bullet had in fact gone in the same hole as the shot preceding it.
According to the Beretta store in New York, these guns are made on a special order basis and take about 2 years to receive once ordered. The 455EELL is the same gun as my 455 except that it has about $40,000 (retail) of engraving. They have one on consignment in NY, however, that is a truly gorgeous and can be had for around $52,000. I looked at that gun last December. It just felt so good in my arms. That's what made me start looking for a 455.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Beretta 455? [Re: Spring]
      #18321 - 22/08/04 04:02 PM

It must feel kind of odd when other people are posting pics of you gun on the internet (without your advance knowledge). I hope I did not invade your privacy, but Drake had it on his site so I put it here. Glad to hear that the rifle is a shooter. Some of the high end bolt guns don't even feed right.

Spring
.300 member

Re: Beretta 455? [Re: 500grains]
      #18369 - 23/08/04 11:46 PM

No problem about posting that picture. From what I can tell, Lewis Drake, who I really enjoyed getting to know while considering this gun, does not regularly modify the guns listed on his online inventory.
I bought the gun last April and had no idea it would have the ancillary expenses to owning it that it does. But when you learn that it cost about $220 for a box of bullets, economics come into play and I soon found myself deep into the practice of reloading this and other guns. That said, I truly have come to enjoy my latest hobby.
As for the gun's accuracy, after tinkering with various loads to try match the gun's regulation, it really does shoot very well with great consistency.
The 455 is a fine gun, though I would have to think you could get a new one quicker than 2 years.

Spring
.300 member

#18388 - 24/08/04 03:56 AM

Here's a pic of a 455 EELL. It's engraved with a cape buffalo on right side, elephant on left, and rhino on bottom, all surrounded by scroll work by an engraver named Dassa. The flash's reflection hides much of the engraving, but as you can tell, it's a very beautiful gun.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#18403 - 24/08/04 03:00 PM

Erik D,

I think we are writing the 455's epitaph here. Neither the Beretta USA not the Beretta Italy websites list it.

Sad and I hope they reconsider their decision.

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Beretta 455? [Re: Spring]
      #18404 - 24/08/04 03:03 PM

Spring,

Congratulations on your superb choice. Did you shoot the buffalo in your picture with it?

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Spring
.300 member

Re: Beretta 455? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #18416 - 24/08/04 11:49 PM

Mehul,
No, I didn't shoot that buff with my 455. I shot that one with a Blaser .375 H&H. I am, however, looking forward to taking my 455 with me to Tanzania for a lion, buff, ect hunt next July.
Thank you for your kind thoughts about my gun. I have been very pleased with it and went through a long process of trying to decide what kind of double rifle I wanted. I didn't feel experienced enough to make a selection on an older English gun, nor did I want to carry a beautiful and classic British rifle into the thorns of Africa. I also wanted something with a similar design and performance of the best Brit guns that could easily handle the modern bullets and loads. The 455 seemed to reach all of my needs.
If Beretta is still making double rifles, it must be on a custom basis. I learned that mine was made in 1997 and was shipped to Beretta's New York store for sale in 1999. It was originally sold some time after that. I know where two 455 EELL's are now that can be bought, but have not seen a regular 455 anywhere other than the one I found and purchased.

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: Beretta 455? [Re: Peterb]
      #19202 - 14/09/04 06:21 AM

fwiw, my 9.3x74r beretta gold sable (ny gallery gun fitted with extra 20 gauge barrels) is more accurate (touching holes) at 50 yards (open sights) than some of my bolt actions.

for those wishing to purchase a near 'best gun' in ou configuration at a reasonable price (retail on the gallery edition guns ex-shotgun barrels is around $7,250, actual price is somewhat lower), the gold sable would be hard to beat, imho. perfect for wild boar, larger north american game (bear, etc.), and even lion and cape buff.

i would think the 455's would be that much better, and, at the real-world prices these are currently commanding, would seem to be the best value for the dollar (euro), again imho.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6420

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com