Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Doubles & Slugs &Wild Boar Hogs

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Doubles & Slugs &Wild Boar Hogs
      #17948 - 13/08/04 08:54 PM

Can slugs be fired in a double barrel shotgun choked for ic/m?Could boar be taken with shotgun loads other than buckshot?What would be the longest range shot taken,35yards?My state will allow the takeing of boar with small game weapons but no buckshot allowed on mangement areas were a lot of hogs are found.I really prefere to hunt with my double shotgun instead of a 22LR.Any suggestions? Do hunters use the double shotgun with slugs sorta like a poor mans double rifle?werent there a paradox rifle double that was british made? that was advertised as the cats meom for indias tigers?Would a double barrel 20gauge with slugs be sorta like a paradox rifle?I was thinking about doing a little scouting and carrying my double but didnt know if i should worry with carrying some extra ammo incase I walked up on a hog...I would think #4 shot and I would really need to be super close..say 20yards...and aim for the brain/head/ear shot?Anyone tried this before or am i looking for trouble?Would the 22magnum be better in such a tight spot?I might just wait and take my 375H&H Later on when the big game season opens.......... Also How hard would it be to build a 22magnum double rifle and would a 410 double shotgun be the way to do it?Or the savage o/u rifle?Anyone ever hear of a small bore double rifle like that?Could the 410 have insert tubes and how accurate are inserts?How many hunters would buy a double barrel small bore 22 or 22 hornet if price was right?I have heard around the camp fire in deer camp about a chap that had a o/u shotgun custom made into a o/u muzzle loader and he never failed to collect his venison with it every year in the special muzzle loader season,it had detachable scope mounts and all!!!!

Edited by blackbearhunter (13/08/04 09:26 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Re: Doubles & Slugs &Wild Boar Hogs [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #17952 - 13/08/04 10:11 PM

Yes you can fire slugs in a double shotgun. But I'd be careful about what slug load I used. Most modern slugs are undersized to accomodate the choke, but I'd want to be sure I had an undersized one.

A shotgun should be regulated for 40 yards, but that's for shot, not slugs. Low priced double guns are likely to have had the barrels put together in a jig and not really regulated. I have always heard that the typical SxS will cross fire with slugs. Every gun is a rule unto itself, so I'd take it to the target range and put a few slugs through it to see what it does. Have it well sorted out before you go out to deal with a hog.

The Paradox type guns were actually more rifle than gun and were regulated for either a round ball of a bullet. There is another type of gun, the ball gun, which has a true cylinder barrel and is meant to shoot a round ball and not shot. It will have sights and will typicaly be a double. But not common, usually an expensive collector's piece. Bernardelli is said to have made a double barreled slug gun in recent times.

I've no experience hunting hogs, but buckshot does not sound to me like the way to go. It's marginal on deer and they are less likely to argue the point.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Doubles & Slugs &Wild Boar Hogs [Re: unspellable]
      #17958 - 14/08/04 12:55 AM

There have been a number of .22 Hornets, .22 LR and such in Double Rifles. A .410 would be the way to go in a shotgun action.

I am not a Hog expert but I would think that a slug wold be better. I think that a dedicated shotgun for slugs would be the best option. That , of course, assumes you don't want to spend the bucks for a true Paradox.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #17969 - 14/08/04 08:14 AM

blackbearhunter

In reply to:

Could boar be taken with shotgun loads other than buckshot?

Well...ONE way to do this..if you're game that is...is to make a series of circumferential slits in a plastic shotgun cartridge just above where the base of the wad abuts the powder charge. Do this in such a way that the cartridge hangs together, as it were "by a thread". Load it in a lightly choked, but stoutly constructed shotgun ( PLEASE...don't use your Purdey!), and pull the trigger...and HEY PRESTO!!....you have a slug gun!

The whole shebang...forward of the slits...goes downrange...in one piece...LETHAL!

Technique is sometimes use by people of certain ethnic extraction here on OZ for the express purpose of "bringing home ze bacon".....and shot size is of no consequence...just use what you've got!

But..remember...you didn't hear about this from me!

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #17970 - 14/08/04 08:26 AM

blackbearhunter (2)
In reply to:

Could the 410 have insert tubes

No need...just shoot soft lead pills out of 44/40 WCF cartridges! They chamber perfectly....and squeeze down the bore.

Some people with a penchant for poaching Hog Deer here in Victoria have been given to this relatively lo-noise and inexpensive strategum.

But..once again...you didn't hear this from me!

Alternatively,...get .44 cal barrels sleeved into .410 shotgun barrels and chamber it for 44/40...you don't even have to modify the extractor... a very low cost route to a small calibre double rifle.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #17971 - 14/08/04 08:34 AM

Blackbearhunter , There is a very good reason you management people will not allow buckshot on the management areas. The state where I live dosen't allow buckshot for hunting of big game (whitetail is considered BIG GAME here) at all, because they have found over the years too many wounded, and lossed deer, and accidental shootings of other hunters when buckshot is used.

I have, however shot a lot of very large Hogs with shotgun slugs, and they are more than JUST ADDIQUATE, they are deadly on the big Russians around here! This is to say as long as you keep your range at 100 yd or closer. Of course you double shotgun will most likely not be accurate out that far, and may not regulate the slugs at all. My favorite firearm for Russians, in deep woods is a little H. Berella cape gun. It is a combination gun, with a 16 ga left barrel, and a 8X57JR right barrel, It is a hammer sidelock gun that will print a 16 ga Brenneke Slug right beside a hole made by the 196 gr bullet from the 8x57JR at 100 yds every time.

Shotguns, even very expencive ones , are not regulated at all, compared to a double rifle. The shotgun has only to place one 36" pattern over the other 36" pattern out at it's extreme range. The center of each of these patterns may be as far as 10" apart on a pattern target at 35 yds. Slugs will most likely not do as well as 10" at 35 yds, because one barrel is tighter than the other, on top of being not regulated at all. I agree with the above addvice to get yourself some Brenneke slugs, and try them on a paper at 35 yds, but make the paper large with only a 1" solid dot in the center,and a 15" circle around that dot, for an aiming point. If the shots hit within 15" of each other, Ill be surprised! What you might do is find the barrel that prints the best five shot group with the slugs, and load only that barrel with slugs, use the other barrel for shot, only! Then set up a pair of rifle sights for the slug barrel, with a fold down back sight. This will allow you to use the front bead for the shot barrel. Now find out how far your slug barrel will keep all shots inside a 15" circle,or tighter the closer you get, and shoot no farther than the 15" circle distance on game animals.

Contrary to popular belief, the PARADOX, rifle was not a shotgun modified to shoot bullets, but a rifle modified to shoot shot! By this I mean the barrels were regulated for bullets, and were made for two reasons. #1 the long smooth bore lowered pressures with the very heavy black powder loads most were made to shoot, and #2 so the settlers in the Southern Cape, and India's jungles had to only have one rifle for everything. The Cape gun was made for the same reason.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

seroadglide
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/04
Loc: West Tenn., USA
      #17975 - 14/08/04 11:02 AM

I will post a link below to a double that I have seen on the web. It looks interesting; its just not interesting enough to make it to the top of the purchase list (yet).

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976425505.htm

Douglas Mays

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Doubles & Slugs &Wild Boar Hogs [Re: seroadglide]
      #17997 - 15/08/04 02:19 PM

seroadglide,

I know the owner, Charles Prince, of Eurogun Imports that's offering the double slug gun you've referenced on Guns America. I handled one of their Sabatti "Leopard Special" shotguns at the Houston Safari Club convention last year. I've never fired one though. Looks like an interesting concept. I do know that Charles used one a few years ago to take a Greater Southern Kudu in South Africa. I don't know how they are regulated. I asked Charles about it but I've forgotten what he told me.

Sabatti does list the Mod. SABA SLUG - cal. 12 on their web site.
"Side by side shotgun for wild boar hunting with ball cartridge ammunition. Barrels lenght: 24 inches. Improved cylinder chokes for slug. Profiled front sight and registrable rear sight."

Here's the web site for Eurogun Imports:
http://www.eurogunimports.com/

Sabatti's web site:
http://www.sabatti.it/

-Bob F.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Doubles & Slugs &Wild Boar Hogs [Re: BFaucett]
      #18008 - 16/08/04 03:16 AM

Chapuis makes a 12 ga. double that has rifle sights and is regulated with brenneke slugs. I have seen some test targets and they looked good.
I have had very good results with my 18" 20ga. double and my Browning 12ga. Citori O/U shooting slugs to about 40 yards. Just go to a well stocked gunstore buy 10 of every kind of slug they have and do a test. Start at 25 yards and work your way out to as far as they still shot good. Then hunt with the best grouping brand. If your double will not shoot slugs very good at all, just get a Remington 870 slug gun and go find some pigs.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #18206 - 20/08/04 01:52 AM

I have used an old Stevens 12 bore with LG Ball from the Indian Ordnance Factories on pigs and if you go close (not a problem in thick Indian forests) they are very effective. Cylinder and Improved Cylinder should be fine. I read somewhere a long time ago (I just can't recall where right now) that modern rifled shotgun slugs worked better in IC barrels than in plain Cylinder ones, but the experts may correct me if this is wrong. I am just repeating what I read somewhere...

In addition to Chapuis, Renato Gamba and some others in Europe offer rifle sighted slug shotguns but the old smoothbores work very well if you go close - less then 50 yards - and do your bit.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4033

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com