Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speeds in military service.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
Lee Speeds in military service.
      #181636 - 15/05/11 08:31 AM

Guys,
Just a query.

A few years ago I grabbed a Lee Speed (no military markings whatsoever) that appears to have been a BSA Lee Speed No3 Trade carbine (I thought) with a SMLE barrel fitted. Basically, turned down bolt, 6 shot magazine, safety on cocking piece.

Basically like this ...

Now for the interesting bit ... my rifles butt plate has a rolled over top with R and a number stamped. Have never been able to work out what its there for.

Caught up with a mate yesterday and he believes he's found an identical and original rifle to mine, he described it as 'no military markings' he called it the 'Officers model', its short barrelled, has Metford style sights, bayo lug for the older '88 bayonet ... higher R number on butt plate, lower serial number ... purchased from a collector.

Story that came (and what I'm hoping someone may have heard of) with the rifle is that somewhere around 500 such rifles were purchased and used by WA Govt with zero military markings. The butt plate number is said to be a rack number.

Thoughts ...
Cheers...
Con

PS: Dont stess ... I'm going to catch up for photographs.

Edited by CptCurl (30/06/11 11:26 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Lee Speeds in military service. [Re: Con]
      #181650 - 15/05/11 12:02 PM

Have you checked with Ian Skennerton?

AlanD
.275 member

Reged: 14/12/08
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Lee Speeds in military service. [Re: kamilaroi]
      #181715 - 16/05/11 05:10 PM

Lee Speed's did see service in the Great War 1914-1918.They were purchased by the British Admiralty which was short of rifles at this time. 970 LE Sporting Rifles were purchased 'from the trade', in March 1915 and issued to 'misellaneous craft'. Some or all of the rifles were marked on the socket with a broad arrow and the letter N, for naval service.

Regards

Aland
Sydney

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2000

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com