Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .475 H&H your thoughts?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
.475 H&H your thoughts?
      #18120 - 18/08/04 07:05 AM

First off good to have the time to stop back by the forums. I have been keeping up from time to time but been very busy as of late and not posted in a while.

To my question, over the past few months I sold my new double (reproduction if you will ) and have been off and on looking for a vintage replacement. I recently came across a very nice H&H chambered in .475, I almost passed it up assuming it to be out of my price range but after a little talking think I might be able to swing it as the owner is interested in trading out some of the value.

I have done a bit of looking around the net and find that the cartridge may be a bit of a odd ball. I was interested if anyone had any first hand experience with it and also what I am getting myself into finding brass, load data etc.. for it.

The only draw back would be I leave for Africa end of SEP it will be a shame to leave it home, oh well there is always the next safari.

James F. Nixon III

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: .475 H&H your thoughts? [Re: NONE]
      #18122 - 18/08/04 11:16 AM

Is this the .475 3 .25 or the 475#2? If it is the 475 3.25 it is a good, but rare bird. I have some bullets for one around someplace as I ordered the wrong ones when reloading for a 475#2. Woodleigh makes the bullets and I believe you can use the Bell 450 basic for brass.

One of the best rifles that I didn't get was a H&H in 475#2 that was rebored from 450 3.25 in Austria. It was the most accurate Double I have ever seen, shooting one 8 shot composite group into 1.5 inches at 100 yards. It is still owned by a friend but the price is too much for me as he knows how much I would like to have it.

There is nothing in the rifle department that is quite as satisfying or that gives you as warm a feeling as a quality English Double.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
Re: .475 H&H your thoughts? [Re: mickey]
      #18125 - 18/08/04 12:07 PM

Hi Mickey

Yes it is a .475 3.25 I though the caliber rare though I have seen a few around from time to time I wonder how many manufactures chambered a rifle in this caliber and how wide spread its use was?
The price is still in debate but as he needs my services on a project a trade of some sort might make it a deal I can live with.

Good news on the brass and bullets I will check into that, now if I can only find the dies as well and need to get the books out to see if I have any load data on it.

I had wanted an English double to start seams I would have learned by now not to settle as I always come around to what I had my mind set on to start.

James F. Nixon III

Edited by NONE (18/08/04 12:09 PM)

AfricanHunter
.275 member

Reged: 01/02/04
Loc: Nebraska, USA
Re: .475 H&H your thoughts? [Re: NONE]
      #18458 - 26/08/04 11:51 AM

Fine caliber. Higher pressure than the #2. I have had a Cogswell and a Rodda. Used same on some els.

Were in the U. S. if that helps you. I still have the dies, new and used brass along with bullets if you are interested. Rifles gone.Willing to share load info at your risk.

Is it a #2 grade or a Royal?

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2784

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com