Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Information on WW Greener No1 Mk1

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
controlled_feed
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: NSW, Australia
Information on WW Greener No1 Mk1
      #179797 - 23/04/11 08:16 PM

Hello all

Bin a while. I have come across a No1 Mk1 sporterised (express ?)rifle for sale. It has a WW Greener dust cover on it, but I am doubtfull of it's heritage.

Should a Greener Sporting 303 have any cyphers etc.

Barrel and bolt have matching numbers.

Even though it has a Greener dust cover, should it still have BSA markings on the butt socket?

Unfortunatley, it has been rebarreled at some stage with a H LSAF barrel.

It might be a good thing to take into the field but may not be a "Lee Speed" type, in fact I very much doubt it is.

Any sure fire methods of deducting the heritage of such a rifle.

Any information on Greener or W Garden 303 sporting rifles would be appreciated.

Many thanks

CF

--------------------
I was born 100 years too late

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Information on WW Greener No1 Mk1 [Re: controlled_feed]
      #179801 - 23/04/11 10:55 PM

Hi CF , Nearly all the Sporters we call "Lee Speeds" are made by BSA & so marked on the butt socket , very few were made by LSA .

Most were made & finished by BSA in different grades , lots of different looks .

I believe some , very few , would have been stocked & sights added by another company eg: Greener

If you mean this rifle it has a different look to most of the straight BSA models , but will be maked BSA almost for sure .

If the Greener has been rebarreled , why does the # number on the barrel match the bolt ?

If you have a pic of the Greener Im sure some one will by able to help you .

Edited by CptCurl (12/05/11 09:14 PM)

controlled_feed
.300 member

Re: Information on WW Greener No1 Mk1 [Re: Sarg]
      #179802 - 23/04/11 11:15 PM

Sarge

I meant to say action and bolt, my bad.

The one I'm looking at has the remnants of LE 1 on the socket.

The barrel is a Lithgow Small Arms Factory barrel.

If the price was right on it I'd buy it but the bloke wants too much for a look a like.

The pic you posted is why I was aking about GArden.

--------------------

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
Re: Information on WW Greener No1 Mk1 [Re: controlled_feed]
      #179827 - 24/04/11 06:55 AM

If you can share pictures or descriptions of the markings, we can tell you its heritage. It should have commercial proof marks.

I have observed several Greener Lee Speed sporters and they do not all say "BSA Co." on the socket. Also, some Lee Speeds have a model designation, such as LE 1. There are quite a few variations of these things, and very few rules that don't have exceptions.

Any info you can share on this or any other Lee Speed would be a big help to my project and I will return the favor.

Thanks!

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

controlled_feed
.300 member

Re: Information on WW Greener No1 Mk1 [Re: jc5]
      #179860 - 24/04/11 06:19 PM

jc5

The rifle is not accessible to me for pics now.

I have decided to pass on it.

Other things that didn't appeal to me where the front and rear wood are markedly different. The butt is a newer piece, with repairs and the foreend looks to be original,whether it's a Greener original of military original, I don't know.

I would buy it if he would come down, but it owes him money and he's not flexible.

CF

--------------------

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
      #180631 - 03/05/11 06:06 PM

Quote:

Hi CF , Nearly all the Sporters we call "Lee Speeds" are made by BSA & so marked on the butt socket , very few were made by LSA .

Most were made & finished by BSA in different grades , lots of different looks .

I believe some , very few , would have been stocked & sights added by another company eg: Greener

If you mean this rifle it has a different look to most of the straight BSA models , but will be maked BSA almost for sure .

If the Greener has been rebarreled , why does the # number on the barrel match the bolt ?

If you have a pic of the Greener Im sure some one will by able to help you .

G'day Sarg, guess who "won" the Lee Speed on the weekend.

Edited by CptCurl (12/05/11 09:15 PM)

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Information on WW Greener No1 Mk1 [Re: darwinmauser]
      #180703 - 04/05/11 09:45 AM

Nice one Pete !

Looks like a beauty , a little different in the butt to most , I wish I had the money for it myself , as I really want one with the Tang/Shotgun type saftey !

Did you see my last one , it has a nice period scope & mount (better if not side drilled) so I can see the sights/cross hairs better & use more , if wanted !

Not a patch on your one how ever !!

Say , Im looking at a Comm 88 sporter next week (the guy told me Ducth Steyr 93-5 , but I think 88) I have not seen it yet & may not want a 88 , are you interested if I don't take it ?

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #180713 - 04/05/11 02:15 PM

Hi Darwinmauser,

You must have wanted that rifle BAD.. $2300 that was $600 more than they thought that it would fetch as top dollar but as long as your happy is all that matter,

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

darwinmauser
.300 member

Re: Information on WW Greener No1 Mk1 [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #180722 - 04/05/11 05:27 PM

Quote:

Hi Darwinmauser,

You must have wanted that rifle BAD.. $2300 that was $600 more than they thought that it would fetch as top dollar but as long as your happy is all that matter,

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

G'day Geff, yes I was keen to get it, there were others who were equally keen but with shorter arms and longer pockets or I would have got it for a whole lot less. I have no doubt the joy of having this rifle will be with me long after the pain of the price tag has dissipated. Would I have liked to get it for $1700.00 ? You bet, but I think the estimates were a bit low on some of the better stuff , Rolly does that to keep up the interest. Now I just have to pay for it , bought a quad bike today so it's an expensive month.

Cheers
Pete

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #180725 - 04/05/11 05:44 PM

Hi Pete,

It took a long time for me to learn that you can make excuses as to 'Why Not' to do something but your only on this Earth for a short time and you need to put oneself at the head of the cue or just maybe you will not get to do the things that is important to YOU....

At least you own it now but it may take a week to get your 'Paws' on it and your right about Rolly and Cheryl they have a good reputation so I guess that it is a good business tactic.

Again, enjoy your new rifle, at least the caliber is a popular one here in Australia and which allows for both factory and reloads.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

darwinmauser
.300 member

#180748 - 04/05/11 09:16 PM

Quote:

Nice one Pete !

Looks like a beauty , a little different in the butt to most , I wish I had the money for it myself , as I really want one with the Tang/Shotgun type saftey !

Did you see my last one , it has a nice period scope & mount (better if not side drilled) so I can see the sights/cross hairs better & use more , if wanted !

Not a patch on your one how ever !!

Say , Im looking at a Comm 88 sporter next week (the guy told me Ducth Steyr 93-5 , but I think 88) I have not seen it yet & may not want a 88 , are you interested if I don't take it ?

G'day Sarg, I spent a bit more than I should have but what the hell you only live once , I thought about it long and hard before putting in the bid ,I figured the cost of building it was still more than I paid for it and it's an original . I'm seriously thinking of getting some tooling and making those tang safeties when I retire...if I retire. Can you tell me if your action that was welded up has the hole in the bulk head for the tang safety? I ask because when I looked at it ,it has the hole for the cross pin which supports a tang safety just forward of the wrist.

cheers
Pete

PS I've got to many projects as it is without an 88 to add to the colection

Edited by darwinmauser (04/05/11 09:18 PM)

Sarg
.400 member

#180751 - 04/05/11 09:54 PM

Thats cool , I think the 88 is a nice sporter , finished one , but Im yet to see it !

I know what you mean , I have a lot of work & expense to finish mine , if I ever do .

Do you mean my frist , drilled up unengraved action , that I fixed all the holes up in ?

If so I think it did have a machined slot where the tang safety nose/tip would go through into the action & engage the trigger .

Good luck with your new one .

Oh & when you get time/retire , I would like one of those Tang safeties

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #180759 - 04/05/11 11:11 PM

Quote:

G'day Sarg, guess who "won" the Lee Speed on the weekend.

Did you attend the auction? Or was it by phone, net or something like that?

Do you know what the three barrel set Heym went for?

OK the price is on the site, I see it is $0 so I guess no bids or did not meet the reserve?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (05/05/11 12:45 AM)

darwinmauser
.300 member

Re: Information on WW Greener No1 Mk1 [Re: NitroX]
      #180791 - 05/05/11 08:06 AM

G'day John, I bid on line for it ,it's not a live auction on the internet , you just place your bids prior to the day and take your chances. I went to a live auction yesterday ,they had a tv screen set up and we were biding against people from all over Australia in real time ...much better setup .Ended up with an ex army quad bike .
Your 3 barrel Heym would still be available , call them and make an offer ,they're there to sell stuff

cheers
Pete

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3719

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com