Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Looking for a bullet lube recipe

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Cast Bullets

Pages: 1
darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Looking for a bullet lube recipe
      #180029 - 26/04/11 09:32 PM

Hi all , I'm about to get into casting rifle bullets, read heaps of info on cast boolits about lube and to be honest I've come away more confused than enlightened. What I need is a lube that will work to drive a 6.5 mm bullet at about 2000 to 2200 fps. The bullet is a Lyman design 140 gn gas checked bullet probably originally made for shooting metal silhouette, I'd like to try it on some porkers this dry so any help will be appreciated.
I have a good supply of bee's wax and about a kilo of industrial petroleum jelly although I don't know if these will be useful at the speed I want to drive these bullets at, most commercial lubes are not easy to get around here hence the need to make my own.

Cheers
Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: darwinmauser]
      #180032 - 26/04/11 09:57 PM

Hello darwinmauser

200gms Beeswax
100gms White Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)
75gms “Lee Liquid Alox”

This brew should end-up sort of a gooey texture, but not tacky. Not hard, but sort of in-between crayon and grease. A bit like ready to use putty.

Add a little Beeswax to stiffen the mix, or a little Vaseline to soften.

Not sure how it will work in the smaller 6.5 bore and at the speeds you are aiming at, but for a home made brew this one worked well in my old Ruger No.1 375 H&H with a 265 grain GC at just under 2000 fps, acceptable accuracy and minimal leading with straight wheel weight projectiles.

Another good one I have used is 50% Beeswax, 50% Molybdenum disulfide/graphite grease. It also should be sort of gooey. Might have to juggle with the quantities a bit to get the right consistancy. Up there in NT you might need to add a little more Beeswax.

Experiment a bit and see how it goes.

Good luck with it.

Best
ALEX

--------------------

Details matter!

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: alexbeer]
      #180036 - 26/04/11 11:08 PM

Recipes are like opinions. Everybody has one. I base my home made lube on this recipe for my Lyman 450 Lubrasizer.

1 lb beeswax
1 lb paraffin
1/2 bottle STP (couple of tablespoons)
One crayon for color

I find in winter this is quite firm, but it is easier to apply in summer. You won't have that problem in the NT.

If you are going to tumble your Boolits just use Liquid Alox but only a small amount. You don't need much.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: tophet1]
      #180042 - 27/04/11 01:37 AM

Pete - I've used Beeswax/Vaseline alone to 2,200fps in .458", but the small bore will probably need something better. However.

I would suggest for those speeds in such a small bore, high pressure gun, to use Lyman Moly lube or LBT Blue.

Too - you might luck out with a mix, but I doubt it and just starting out, you'd be better served I think, to use something with a higher degree of probability of success right off - a lube that's proven to handle those speeds in that calibre - thus, the mix I suggested.

Starting out, you'll have to learn to cast good bullets with the proper alloy as well as finding what size bullets your rifle actually needs - throat diameter is the best place to start. There is more to it than simply casting a bullet and putting some lube on it & shooting it.

Those who are serious about getting small bores to shoot well, usually end up with special sizing dies and bump dies to change nose diameters, etc.

I would leave the experimentation to when you've a base of continued success to compare it to.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: DarylS]
      #180048 - 27/04/11 03:19 AM

I got my lube recipe from an old chap when I started casting years ago and it has prooved effective for all my cast use. From 50/50 ww/Pb at 14-1500 fps through 47/33/20 ww/Pb/lino at 1900fps to straight lino 2400+fps in both my 7x57 and 404 Jeffery and you have all that is necessary on hand.
2/3 Bees wax to 1/3 vaseline has and does work in all these alloys and velocities without the added complicvations of any other added ingredients.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Edited by VonGruff (27/04/11 03:22 AM)

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: VonGruff]
      #180061 - 27/04/11 06:38 AM

Tophet's excatly right here, everyone will have a lube recipe, all the best one out there, but all different, or similar?

I'm all about simple, LBT Blue for smokeless, SPG for blackpowder.

Pete, you might consider mail order from the Southern states, or from the USA for ready made lube, more time for shooting.

David.

AFRO408
.333 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Arding NSW
      #180067 - 27/04/11 07:43 AM

Hi Pete,

I use 50/50 Beeswax/ Superfry. It has never given me any trouble and components are easy to source here in OZ.

Tony

--------------------
Flinch ? Wot flinch ? Gunsmithing is my PASSION.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: AFRO408]
      #180145 - 28/04/11 12:24 AM

By 'Mix I suggested", I meant the Lyman Moly or LBT Blue, not the Beeswax/Vaseline mix noted for the .458's.

--------------------
Daryl

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #180149 - 28/04/11 02:42 AM

Daryl is right about LBT Blue. I've been using LBT Soft Blue for many years. It is absolutely great. The only difference between Blue and Soft Blue is the Soft Blue is workable in cold weather. Contact Veral Smith ( http://lbtmoulds.com/moulds.shtml ). You might also want to read his book.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: Tatume]
      #180177 - 28/04/11 08:42 AM

Pete wanted a home brew bullet lube with readily available components, and there have been some really good ones mentioned and they all no doubt work well for those who use them. I might even try one or two of them for fun.

But I must say I agree whole heartedly with those who recommend LBT Blue or LBT Blue Soft. It’s brilliant stuff. Since starting to use LBT Blue in my rifles and SPG in my revolvers, I don’t bother to mix my own bullet lube any more.

Pete,, sure, have a lash at a home mix lube, it will be an interesting and fun exersise, but if all else fails, get some LBT Blue or LBT Blue Soft and give it a go, I think you will be most suitably impressed.

Best
ALEX

--------------------

Details matter!

sbs470
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Loc: Sheffield Tasmania
Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: alexbeer]
      #180258 - 29/04/11 01:38 AM

equal parts of

beeswax
olive oil
lanolin wool grease

works fine for long range creedmoor 45/90 or 12 bore rifle . it keeps the fouling soft. and makes cleaning a breeze.

good shooting

sbs470

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: sbs470]
      #180260 - 29/04/11 02:06 AM

Quote:

equal parts of

beeswax
olive oil
lanolin wool grease

works fine for long range creedmoor 45/90 or 12 bore rifle . it keeps the fouling soft. and makes cleaning a breeze.

good shooting

sbs470

Have you tried that without the olive oil? In both my Shaprs and the muzzleloaders, any time I try using olive oil, I get fouling problems. An animal oil works much better, such as mink oil, or marmot oil, or bear's oil.

The animal oil from around the vitals is what's needed. It's oil content is extremely high, compared to the high solids content in the outside body fat.

Must be some fat little critter around where you live who'd like to donate for a test? Use low heat when 'trying' out the oil so you don't burn it.

O'course, with smokeless powder loads, simply using LBT lubes is an easier road to success.

--------------------
Daryl

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
      #180436 - 01/05/11 07:41 PM

Well ..it looks like i've got a few recipes to try in the coming weeks,I'll start with the simpler ones first and see how I get on.

Thank you all
Pete

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
      #194551 - 22/11/11 10:05 PM

Hi,
what about the felix lube?
http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lube/Felix.html

Martin

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: beleg2]
      #194590 - 23/11/11 02:58 AM

This paragraph is from the link Martin provided. This lube is said to be as good as Verals - I assume or presume they mean LBT Blue. There is nothing in the 'test' below, that cannot be done with straight beeswax and vaseline 60:40, but it's a LOT more difficult to make. As well, the BP lubes by SPG or Lyman will do likewise as will the normal 50:50 beeswax/Alox lubes.

Now, if this Felix lube worked at 3,000fps with good accuracy and no leading, it could be as good as LBT Blue.

"First was the 44 Mag- RCBS 240gr SWC over 23.0 gr of IMR-4227. This load chronos 1420fps in my Contender. There was zero leading and accuracy was at least as good as the same load with commercial lubes. ( @ 2in at 50yds, iron sights ) Next was the 308 Win - RCBS 180gr SP over 47.0grs of WC860. Haven't chronographed this load but would guess 1750 fps. Again zero leading, first 5 shot group measured 1.12in. I was happy with that as I have not fine-tuned this load yet. My conclusion is this lube is worth a try. My investment was about $22 and that buys enough ingredients to make a LOT of lube. The experiments will continue..."

--------------------
Daryl

209jones
.224 member

Reged: 29/05/11
Loc: Calgary AB
      #211402 - 23/06/12 04:03 PM

Unfortunately, the mix I used on my 22-250 is almost gone and it worked. It was a blend of some odd sticks of Lyman lube and Red Rooster I chucked in a pot and mixed up, there is another lube in there also, may be some old LBT of some form. That was an unrepeatable blend.
I'm very happy with the LBT soft blue lube with the 450/400 at 2041 avg. No leading.
For anything under 1800, I have used Emmerts lube. Used that in the 7x57 and the 7-08 and the 32-40.
It can be a bit soft in hot weather though.
I have to agree that the Lube section on Cast Boolits, is a bit confusing, as there are so many recipes.
The ASSRA site is much the same.
I think perhaps the trick to it, is to PM the people that have been using the bullets at the higher speeds and verify what they used. That involves a LOT of reading to figure out who to ask.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: 209jones]
      #211419 - 23/06/12 11:47 PM

I still have a small amount of old LBT Blue - the hard stuff that needed heating help in a lube sizer. If they are still producing it, I don't know. I've used LBT Blue to 2,750fps in a .375H&H and obtained 1" accuracy at 100 yards and no leading when using it, with oven hardened WW bullets. It usually doesn't get much better than that.

--------------------
Daryl

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
      #211445 - 24/06/12 07:19 AM

For smokeless loads, LBT Blue Soft is it, no need for anything else.

DC

JFE
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Vic, Australia
Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #211486 - 24/06/12 08:23 PM

I agree with 450 here, it's not like you need much lube and if you buy from the right places the store bought stuff is pretty cheap. I use BAC lube for pistol and high speed rifle cast loads and it works so well I've never bothered with their Carnuba Red.

Here's the link and they will ship to Oz:

http://www.lsstuff.com/

eljefedouble
.300 member

Reged: 23/04/06
Loc: Vic, Australia
Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: JFE]
      #240825 - 18/01/14 06:16 PM

A lube thread with only 18 replies?
Come on guys, we can do better!
Pete, sending you some.Check it out. Super secret, eye of newt and bats gizzard mix.

PS-Afro's tested it out, and hasnt howled at me yet

--------------------
"it dont mean a thing, if it aint got no zing"
"Toa bunduki mkubwa"

greenshoots
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: uk
Re: Looking for a bullet lube recipe [Re: eljefedouble]
      #240826 - 18/01/14 07:42 PM

50/50 lard and bees wax

greenshoots

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10545

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com