Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010
      #178638 - 09/04/11 09:32 PM

Wanting to hunt the Territory again, but cheaply, Matt Graham of Hunt Australia having given to me details of a property that could be hunted, with Karl his PH at the time it was last used, giving a lot of details. I and a couple of other fellows, decided to head up to the Northern Territory to the Daly Waters area for a week of hunting and fishing. Pigs, donkeys were hoped for. And with some rivers in the area, including a couple of large waterholes nearby the camp, we also took along some fishing gear.

One of our group could only spare a week's hunting, plus the driving up and back, so unfortunately it would not be possible to venture any further North.

Leaving the Barossa a lot later than intended due to some finance deadlines that couldn't be avoided, I met up with the other two guys early in the morning in Port Pirie for the loading up of the Landcruiser plus a trailer. We had a substantial number of jerry cans (11) for fuel along, empty for the drive up, as we had been advised to take along a considerable amount of fuel to the property.

A couple of bush camps on the side of the road on the way up, including some time to replace the bald tyres on Danny's trailer in Tennant Creek and then a final stocking up of goods especially fuel in Daly Waters.

On the way up, an unusual sighting of a Rhino in the Aussie Desert.

Outside the residence of an ex-pat Rhodie perhaps? Or a mad Africaphile? Who knows?

A couple of hours drive off the bitumen through another cattle station and we were at the gate to our hunting property. Then to the station house.

The owner was off mustering cattle, but we were directed to the camp it had been suggested we stay at. It was actually on Aboriginal land, and actually on the station to the North, so it would be necessary to also visit them and let the owner of that property know, and get permission to make sure it was OK. The property had also changed hands (ownership) since Hunt Aust had last been there.

Now the fun started.

The track we were directed to use, right on the boundary fence, was NOT well used and very rough. We also ended up driving in the dark. Through various rocky hills, gullies, bounces and bumps, the going was very very very slow, 1st gear low wheel range. The camp was a lot further away than we thought it would be, or were told it was.

Then the cruch. Literally. Going through a creek, there was an aweful crunch, the creek wall dropped off suddenly, on stone, and the trailer did not like it. We managed to bend the A frame arm on the trailer.

It was dark, hours after dusk, so we decided to camp on the crappy track for the night and see what to do the next morning. I thought about walking a couple of kms to see if the camp was close, but wisely decided not to, seeing the problems the next day!

The next morning, we unhitched the trailer then set off to see what the track ahead was like and where the camp was. First driving to the left, we were told it was in the neighbouring property, we went through the boundary gate. Driving along we found another track heading East and tried that. It had been used recently, but got rougher and rougher, and eventually disappeared. We did find some several kilometre long deep waterholes, except the camp was obviously on the other side somewhere. Later we found out the property owner had had a picnic on the spot the previous weekend with his family.

Backtracking, we found another track further South. Again arrived at the waterholes except too far to the West.

Then back through the boundary gate, and a km along, a gate and another track to the North, a kilometre along that and the white buildings of the camp were in the sight. At last! Only took five hours to find the camp that morning! As said, glad we didn't try to walk it the previously night!

The camp was also a bit different from when Karl, Matt's PH had last used it, a year or two earlier. The water tank on the hill had been removed or stolen. The toilet building had tipped over, the bore cable and hose had been chopped up by someone with an axe .... One of the buildings had a rotting dead roo in it, and the others were less than savoury ..... so we decided we would camp in the verandah of one of the buildings and put the fuel, generator and fridge in the other. No need for the tents we had brought along. However only when we got all that gear to the camp.

Back to the trailer. Unloaded it, pushed and pulled the trailer through the creek by hand, and towed it up the other side. Piled most of the fuel on the side of the track, and loaded up the car as much as possible, and the rest of the stuff in the trailer. Then to the camp, a relatively uneventful trip.

Went for a drive to the neighbours station house and met the guy there at his sheds. Seemed a nice enough guy, seeing we had effectively invited ourselves onto HIS property! To stay in the buildings as our camp. I then asked him about fishing and got the OK, and then asked if we could hunt some pigs and donkeys if we saw any. After a moments thought, he gave us permission. It helps to have the OK and recommendation of a neighbour ie the property to the South.

As it turned out the better hunting areas were all on his land, so it was for the best - for us. But we couldn't hunt too far North on his property as he was mustering there.

But he also advised us of two other tracks on his land which went to the camp from the main track, and they were far better tracks. Did not use the other AGAIN! Except to pick up some fuel and tank up when needed.

Finally the next morning we could actually hunt. Walking on the South side of the waterholes and river, we walked in a line. After a few kilometres I had lost sight of the other two guys, having had to climb a hill and then hit a body of water. I thought the two guys were in front of me, and had turned South. But following the water, I found out it was only a billabong and not the main river, which did turn South further on.

Decided to have a sit down, drink, and listen. Listening is useful, as after a while I could hear donkey's calling due South of me, and also along the river further on. So not knowing where the other guys were, also my UHF radio wasn't set properly so my calls out weren't being received, I decided to head off in a different direction and find the calling donkeys. The UHF was new, and later found the setting which increased its range.

Maybe four kilometres along, a kilometre off the river, I bumped into three donkeys. They hadn't called for a while, but I had obviously set the right direction.

Two of the three donkeys.

I was carrying my older model BLR in .308, as shooting could be at a distance, the main targets being pigs and donkeys. I did bring along the 9.3 and .450 but only shot the sighting in target with them. The 9.3 also has shotgun barrels if needed, but no waterfowl in the area either.

Walking further into the bush, I didn't spot anymore donks, so set a course back to camp to arrive early in the afternoon. The other guys weren't there, so had some lunch and read a book for a while.

A couple of hours later, Danny came walking into camp, and needed a drink of water, having exhausted his on a long walk of maybe 10 kms along the river, in a certain direction. He had sighted lots of crocodiles in the pools. After this he carried more water. In any case the River water was probably drinkable.

Later Phil arrived. Phil had hunted a series of waterholes East of the River, and had encounters some pigs and donkeys, which he had shot.

Phil decided to stay in camp that evening but Danny and I took the Landcruiser South then cut across to the River and hunt some new country down there. We left a bit late so drove in as far as reasonable then cut over to the River on foot. I quickly found Danny's footprints there, this was were he had walked that morning it seemed. There wasn't any game moving about so before it was dark we gave up and back to camp.

We had brought with a solar shower each, so a welcome warm shower and meal that night.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NT Ass Hunt 2010 [Re: NitroX]
      #178641 - 09/04/11 09:55 PM

More to be posted soon.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #178644 - 09/04/11 10:08 PM

Cool! Lookin' forward to the rest!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NT Ass Hunt 2010 [Re: Ben]
      #178704 - 10/04/11 07:42 PM

Another day, I forget which it was, we drove South on the boundary fence track again, but much further down. This track was more reasonable and good going. A few wash outs and small creeks to cross, including one larger river, dry, that needed some engineering work with spade and arms to fill in a stony drop with stones to allow a tyre to cope with the drop. The stones lasted for the journey down at least. Then to another much larger river way, where we parked, and the plan was to travel across the boundary into the station country outside where the main river ran. This area was still part of the main cattle station but I believe is unused for running cattle. A large area of unfenced country.

Even though we had maps, I was a bit confused about the river in front of us cutting East to West. Later I worked out it was a tributary of the main river and not the main river which would eventually also turn to the West but further down.

The three of us crossed the fence, Phil on the Southern far bank, Danny in the river bed, and I took the Northern bank. I think eventually Danny moved up and joined Phil on his bank when a large waterhole covered the river bed. At this point there was a fork in the river, the main river running due South and also to the North. With the rough country I again lost track of the two other guys, but we came to several large waterholes, one of which had evidence of a fair number of crocodiles. I decided I wanted some photos of the crocs, and stalking along the river bank, sighted a number, but they were very shy and quickly dipped into the water to hide. So it was going to be a game and wait and see, pick a good sport and wait for them to return to the open.

The waterhole in the river where I spent many hours trying to get photos of the Johnson's crocodiles inhabitating this waterhole.

Another view from the thickly forested banks. Getting along near the water involved lots of pushing through the trees and bushs and especially if trying to be quiet.

The ground is littered with bark and dry leaves. Walking quietly meant putting one's boot down carefully and slowly rolling the sole. Otherwise I'm not sure why I took this photo!

First pass along the banks, I saw lots of crocs, usually as they slid into the water. No photographs. Yep there was a good croc in the photo above, but gone by the time the photo was taken!

Another good spot!

Another!

Here's a little fellow, spying on me from the water.

This rock had a small croc sunning on it. It took me 30 minutes to stalk it, but it left before I got a photo. Took a pic of the rock instead!

The small land "crocs" are easier! Here a small lizard or gecko suns himself.

There's a small croc in this photo. You have to look hard!

Using bonoculars is important in trying to spot them before they spot you, so they can be stalked.

Moo!

While sitting very quietly and still over a likely location, some scrub cattle came pushing through the bush and were surprised to find me. Luckily no angry bulls as I had left my rifle and day pack elsewhere so I could move more quietly.

A gully had a number of trees absolutely infested with thick spider webs.

Eagles fly over. Maybe they think I am so still, I am carrion and dead?

Outside a couple of hundred metres of thick bush, the countryside here is dry and sparse. At least in this place. Elsewhere there are thick grasslands wonderful for cattle.

This is more like it. Little bugger checking me out.

Got you 2! This little Johnson's took me three stalk attempts before I finally got him.

Another on a rock.

Even better.

A dinosaur floats along in the water.

It was interesting to watch a small herd of cattle approach the water to have a drink. They stopped and stared at the water for a long time before wading in to drink. While I am pretty sure there were no saltwater crocodiles anywhere in this area, the cattle seemed not so sure.

Cattle drinking spot.

At last I got the photo I tried for several hours to get. I saw this bigger Johnson's several times, but he was VERY elusive and shy.

I hadn't heard from the other guys on the radio for many hours. I had got through to them telling them I intended to take photos of the crocs and had expected them to come back past this pool sometime. Hadn't seen a sight of them, so instead head off to the other side of the river to hunt the country there, heading East and later South. Found some sign of pigs and a number of wet billabongs, and moist muddy billabongs, plus dry ones. Hunted along the billabongs ready for a quick shot if a pig erupted from the bush. Did find some more scrub cattle. Turned to the South so to get closer to the vehicle as I hunted along.

Heard some donkeys braying in the distance and it was the right direction so hunted down that way. The bush was otherwise pretty quiet, though did surprise the occaisional wallaby or kangaroo. This area was far South enough for full sized kangaroos to still be resident.

Did not find the donkeys, found tracks, but they led to nothing.

Decided it was time to head back towards the vehicle. Perhaps the other guys were waiting there? And its best not to be out in the bush in the dark, so heading that way was wise.

I got to say my GPS was playing up. If I put it while still on in my pocket, when pulled out it showed the WRONG directions, using the sun's position as a gauge. Perhaps some body magnetic energy was ffffing it up?! Very disconcerting indeed! If I removed the battery completely it seemed to work again.

Eventually cut the river bed again using the sun as a guide and headed South along along it. Walked for a couple of kilometres and then decided this was bullshit. It can't be right so changed direction and headed back the other way. As I said earlier we thought the main river was the river heading West/East where the vehicle was parked, but using the map it was obvious this was an smaller tributary. I was on the main river and walking away from the vehicle. Eventually if keep heading South I would have hit the main station house, but another 15 kms if not more! It was hot so had a rest in the shade to collect my wits.

Heading North along the creek, eventually I hit the main fork or Y junction in the river, but it looked very different from this angle. A large pool of water filled the Y, but even more interesting, a herd of ASSES (donkeys) were looking at me from the opposite side. Raising the rifle I shot at a couple, and the rest ran off. Now the fun, off I went, slid down the 25 foot river bank there, at a rush, around the pool, had to climb the other side using roots to pull myself up, as the banks there are very smooth, mud and otherwise sheer bare walls. Along that bank, down another drop and across to the foot of the bank where the donks had been. Up that and after them, probably sure they were long gone.

But no, soon caught up and with and began a running battel firing at them. I had three five shot magazines and went through them, dropping some donks, and having to reshoot some to finsih them off.

I had a couple of donks, one wounded walking a couple hundred metres away, and as I crossed an open stony area, to have a scrub bull come running in to see what was going on. He was above me on the slope about 50 metres away and NOT HAPPY! I don't think he liked his donkey friends being shot!

he kept coming but stopped to stare at me beligerently from above. Now I thought, how loaded is my rifle? I backed up and away and checked the magazine. One bullet in the chamber, and nothing in ANY of the magazines! Time to load up one, in case of a charge. One bullet might not do it!

Then thought, stuff it, crossed in front of him, giving him the evil eye, try it and die, to chase the donks again. I finished off the wounded one and killed another.

Now very thirsty, had a drink and calmed down. Where was I? Where was the river? No problem, I would head West and hit the fenceline somewhere along where the car was parked. The other guys must have heard the barrage of shots, but no answer on the UHF? Only a kilometre to the fenceline and not that far to the South the vehicle was parked in the sun, empty and no one there.

Got the keys, started it, and parked it better in some shade. Got the vehicle UHF going and radioed and left it on. Had something to eat, and waited. It was getting dark.

Eventually heard Danny on the radio. The other two guys had decided to walk all the way back to the camp, shot nothing on the way (I think?), and Danny was on the roof of the building trying to get through to me.

OK, so off in the Landcruiser, the steep river stony bank crossing might be interesting, but piling up a lot of stones again, got the vehicle up and over, though the back tyres did spin all the stones away and got up on the top of rocky ridge before they all disappeared. Lucky that as I only had a hand winch and there was only one of me, but fine, and off back to camp.

Another day finished.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
      #178711 - 10/04/11 08:31 PM

Nice work John glad that you guys had a great time!

Regards,

MOG

Ben
.400 member

Re: NT Ass Hunt 2010 [Re: Cinghiale]
      #178726 - 10/04/11 09:44 PM

I enjoyed the croc photos, John, and reading of your adventure on this day. I hope there is more to recount?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NT Ass Hunt 2010 [Re: Ben]
      #178742 - 11/04/11 12:08 AM

Yes Ben probably lots more.

MOG, a "great time", well it was a different time that trip.

Hopefully not too many errors in the last account, as I haven't proof read it yet.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#178744 - 11/04/11 12:38 AM

A brief next installment.

One afternoon Danny and I decided to try out some fishing on a waterhole nearby. Lovely quiet deep water.

There was no supposed to be barramundi on this waterhole. We had been told of a great barramundi fishing spot by Karl, the PH, but it turned out to be quite a drive away, on Aboriginal land (?) and we would need permission to go there. All in all the Northern station owner made it sound uninviting so we decided not to go if he didn't want us there. It also sounded like a full day to get there and back so we didn't really have time for it anyway.

Below is a fish Danny caught. Have no idea of the species, I forget, maybe a catfish from the photo? It was let go again.

As you can see Danny is fishing well above the waterline with his rifle handy! Both Danny and Phil said they had seen saltwater crocodiles. The Southern Station Owner said there was possibly one further down river from this point, but in a pool below a waterfall/drop off, so why chance it, even if it is unlikely to have one here. Definitely no swimming! We also fetched water from different spots on a waterhole from time to time. I know I always had a good look at the water before hand.

Now this was a fishing spot I tried. There was really nowhere very open to throw the line out, and the branches above and to the side were a nuisance. Also the bank was steep mud with no footholds. Of course eventually I got my lure snagged in a branch hanging out over the water, and broke the line trying to free it. Wrote it off as lost, and kept on with another type of lure. Went back to camp ...

Well that lost lure hanging in the tree annoyed me no end. I had bought in in 1983 for a fishing trip to the Kymberleys and Victoria River about 27 years ago, so damn it, I was going to get it back.

Took a rope, an axe and headed out the last night we were in camp just before dusk. The branch the lure was stuck in sat in the water then rose up with the lure about 4 metres out into the water. Tied a piece of rope to a tree and went down the bank. Tied another piece out on the branch, and then used the axe to cut through the branch.

Well it felt like I was ringing a Dinner Gong, "Come and Get IT!" to anything big nasty and hungry in the water.

The vibrations going out in every directions very nicely. After about eighty blows, the branch was cut through, and hauled it up out of the water. Retrieved my favourite lure ...

As they say, "where fools go ....." but no croc or not was going to stop me. I hoped anyway.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 [Re: NitroX]
      #178827 - 11/04/11 08:12 PM

After a visit to the Station Owner, he suggested another spot to try for pigs. This area in the far West of the property on the "internal boundary" fence had a waterhole near some old stock yards which often had a population of pigs.

We set aside a whole day to visit the area as the driving required would be considerable. So one morning we set off from our camp, headed by one of the better tracks to the main road through the property and found the track on the fenceline, and headed West passing some good cattle country to a range of higher ground. The ridge here was very thickly forested but so also was the track! It obviously had not been used for a long time, and was completely overgrown with saplings. Luckily these saplings were fairly soft, and also luckily I had had a bullbar fitted to my Landcruiser prior to this trip as it definitely came in handy now. Driving up a steepish slope I manouvred the 'cruiser so to avoid staking any tyres, and pushed the saplings over. Probably a thousand of them (!) before we got through that part of the track and eventually found the corner post of the fenceline.

South of that point, we drove the Western fenceline looking for signs of the old stockyards.

We sighted a lot of bustards or scrub turkeys in these forests. On one occaision about fourteen in one place. Would love to eat one oneday, but unfortunately if one does not have a deep suntan it is prohibited. Also reportedly they are better eating during certain seasons than others, due to their diet.

Scrub turkeys fly away.

Examples of the open forest in the area.

The "internal boundary" fenceline and Western boundary track.

The reason these fences are "internal boundaries" is that many of these properties do not use the entire area of their leasehold for cattle operations. There can be very large areas outside of the fenced areas where cattle are run, which are simply not used. Usually for reasons of cost and efficiency. The areas can sometimes be simply too large.

Some untagged cattle within the fence boundary.

After a long drive and a bend in the fence, it was obvious we had missed spotting the stockyards. A bushfire in the area several years before may have destroyed them. So turning around, we headed North again, and eventually were back to the Northern fence again, again not sighting anything! Third try, a couple of scouting walks failed to find the waterholes/creek and then a bit of a ridge was spotted. This time we found water and a thin small creek with waterholes in it.

Within a hundred metres some pigs were spotted lying up in a wet hollow out of the hot sun, and some shooting occurred. At last! No boars, some sows, and piglets.

Danny with a piglet from this small herd of pigs.

Walking to the North along the creek, Phil took the West bank, Danny the East bank, which left me 60 metres into the bush to the East.

Danny surprised a boar in a thin strip of bush along the water, which then ran into the bush and out the otherside. Danny couldn't shoot as firing would have endangered Phil, he was not happy! But Phil managed to take the nice boar.

Phil's boar taken with a Remington .308.

The length of the creek where Phil took the boar. The low bushy area was between Phil and Dan and the pig was shot coming out of it on the other side.

The pig itself was sleeping in a hollow in the Right (East) bank.

While Phil was cutting the tusks out of the boar, Danny set off to look for more, so I decided to continue as well at this point.

Some distance along a couple of pigs took off a couple of hundred metres in front of us, and later another did the same. I stopped Danny and said we were spoiling the area. The wind was directly on our sweaty backs and the pigs were scenting us before we could see them. So we turned around and re-joined Phil.

Looking at the map it was evident the creek crossed the Northern boundary maybe 5 to 7 kilometres North and maybe a 1500 metres West, so we returned to the Landcruiser drove to the North to the fenceline. I volunteered to have some lunch and drive the vehicle down and pick up the other two guys on the track in a couple hours. I think Phil and Danny took another two or three pigs along that section.

This area did look good for pigs, especially as there was now carrion there, but it was a full day trip to get there. We were thinking about coming back another day later in the week.

Back driving down the fenceline to the South, we planned to come out by a Southern track in the middle of the property. Was pretty uneventful until we reached the ridge and descended to the plain below and found a very deep washout across the track, probably about 12 feet deep and a bit less across. Luckily the floor of the plain was only about 30 feet down at this point, so after some discussion I drove the Landcruiser straight down the steep hillside in low range and into the grass. The vehicle did pick up speed, but stayed in control. With hindsight I should have checked for big rocks or logs in the grass first, but no mishap, so OK.

Further along got back on the track, another creek or gully, we managed to get through with some earthworks, and then driving along the fence in the grass, the track had mostly disappeared, kapow, a big bang, and a big puff of smoke and dust to the right. A lovely broken off steel dropper in the ground at an angle managed to stake the side of the tyre and ripped a lovely big hole in it. A cm or two further to the left, and nothing would have happened. So a tyre change, we were carrying three spares, another rough creek with high banks, but we managed to find a somewhat better spot and we were through.

Further along we hit a number of fences, some small cattle handling paddocks, a dam and a windmill. It was a bit tricky working out which gate to take to get through, and after one failure, we were on the outside track.

Donkeys sighted, three of them. We took one each.

Past the water tank and dam, the cattle trough was empty, and lots of cattle in the area, to me seemingly thirsty, made a mental note to tell the property owner later, we were off along a nice track back to the main track, not sighting any game, but lots of cows.

Checked a "turkey nest" dam at the end of this track and there was some old pig sign in the mud of the dam, but no pigs.

Back to camp

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
      #178828 - 11/04/11 08:28 PM

Good pic's John.
Looking at the forky tail of your fish I would say it was a Catfish.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Ben
.400 member

Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 [Re: FATBOY404]
      #178835 - 11/04/11 09:12 PM

Very nice country, and some more fine sport, with a cracking boar to Phil! Very nice.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 [Re: Ben]
      #178836 - 11/04/11 09:17 PM

Quote:

Very nice country, and some more fine sport, with a cracking boar to Phil! Very nice.

Ha ha, as I said Dan wasn't happy not being able to shoot it. But being safe is ALWAYS better than dropping an animal.

This was Dan's first pig hunting trip, I think, and first time in the Territory. He did manage to get a couple sets of tusks by the end of the trip.

Phil had been in the Territory once before and took a buffalo plus ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#178837 - 11/04/11 09:29 PM

We spent most of one day getting the trailer to the Station house, and had been offered the assistance of a mechanic/welder to get it back into usuable state.

It was quite a job, as the trailer turned out to be heavily rusted in places underneath.

First the Y arm needed to be bent back parallel. The trailer was moved onto a steel ramp, chained down, and used a tractor or something, I forget, to bend it back into shape.

Then the guy did welded some metal bars to strengthen it and also underneath the trailer where it was rusted.

The property owner was very generous and his mechanic's help was all free of charge, part of the service, as we were paying a fee to hunt on the place.

One of the other tyres was fat, I took off one morning earlier to fix it, and try as I might, and also Phil later we couldn't get the tyre off the rim. With the large tyre irons in the mechanics shed it finally came off. Originally we had three tyres, one was now a write off, so two usuable spare tyres is pretty much a necessaity.

A flock of these lovely birds were near the sheds. They look edible, but are probably protected.

Anyone know what they are?

A campfire one evening to boil out some of the boar tusks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ben
.400 member

#178842 - 11/04/11 10:30 PM

People in the bush are often wonderfully kind and helpful. Well, hopefully people anywhere are.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#178845 - 11/04/11 11:27 PM

Very silvan Nutwood trees.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#178846 - 11/04/11 11:30 PM

Cattle mustering in the Aussie Outback.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #178849 - 11/04/11 11:57 PM

Nice JH!!! You were really dedicated to getting those freshie photos!!!

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #178851 - 12/04/11 12:37 AM

John
"A flock of these lovely birds were near the sheds. They look edible, but are probably protected.
Anyone know what they are?"

Spinifex Pigeons.

if they are anything like the other Crested pigeons, then they would taste nice.

The Bustards in the other photo are supposed to taste nice.

Edited by 500Nitro (12/04/11 05:55 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 [Re: 500Nitro]
      #178864 - 12/04/11 04:22 AM

Last hunt of the week we journey North along the main river to see what was there.

Along the way I found this intriguing sand mound.

As you can see, something has been walking around this mound and also digging pits. I think there was two sets of lizard tracks. One is maybe something like a monitor lizard, and it may have dug for eggs.

Others are definitely crocodiles tracks. And some of the scales marks show quite large scales IMO.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #178883 - 12/04/11 02:21 PM

Very good story and pics John.
Sounds like an eventfull trip for sure.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 [Re: 4seventy]
      #178895 - 12/04/11 08:24 PM

Further along a wallaby with a joey in its pouch moves around the pools.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#178896 - 12/04/11 08:31 PM

Some beautiful pools in the main river.

Danny and Phil further along the river.

While we were standing chatting, and deciding we had gone far enough down the river, Dan suddenly raised his rifle and fired. A pig had come trotting along the bank out from the bush completely unaware of us.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ben
.400 member

#178897 - 12/04/11 08:51 PM

What a great little surprise that would've been, for both the hunters and the swine!

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #178912 - 13/04/11 02:01 AM

This is a wonderful write up John! You guys had a very nice trip.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 [Re: AkMike]
      #178915 - 13/04/11 02:31 AM

Nice!! Those birds are spinafex pigeons John...

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14317

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com