Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia
      #175059 - 08/02/11 02:50 AM

Maybe Barnes and A-Square need to offer monolithics in sterling silver?

A 'super pack' of wolves has been terrifying a town after leaving more than 30 horses dead in just four days.

Four hundred bloodthirsty wolves have been spotted prowling around the edges of Verkhoyansk, in Russia, attacking livestock at will.

Twenty four teams of hunters have been put together to get rid of the wolves, with a bounty of £210 for every wolf skin brought to officials.

A pack of wolves this size is unheard of, with the animals usually preferring to hunt in smaller groups of just six or seven.

The massive group is believed to be made from hundreds of packs and has left animal experts baffled.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...l#ixzz1DICfaD4J

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Re: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia [Re: Story]
      #175092 - 08/02/11 03:03 PM

Should collect all the Greenies from the US that are pushing reintroducing wolves and give them a free 30 day backpacking trip in the Verkhoyansk area. Of course they will be unarmed, as they do not believe in firearms ownership.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia [Re: Altamaha]
      #175117 - 09/02/11 12:15 AM

Wolf Delisting Supporters,

The Senate announced the introduction of new national wolf delisting legislation today. The bill entitled, The American Big Game and Livestock Protection Act (S.249), returns management of wolf populations to state wildlife agencies who were so instrumental in recovery of wolf populations.

The original cosponsors of this legislation are: Sens. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), Michael Enzi (R-Wyo.), Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), John McCain (R-Ariz.) and James Risch (R-Idaho). Very much like H.R. 509 introduced last week in the House of Representatives, S.249 bill would prevent further litigation and pre-empt existing lawsuits related to state wolf populations.

This legislation is officially endorsed by American Farm Bureau, American Sheep Industry Association, National Cattleman’s Beef Association, Public Lands Council, Congressional Sportsmen Foundation, Mule Deer Foundation, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, Wild Sheep Foundation, National Trappers Association, Idaho for Wildlife, Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife, Lobo Watch, Friends of the Northern Yellowstone Herd and many other livestock and wildlife conservation organizations.

Please take a few minutes and send a letter of support to our friends in Congress who are working so diligently to obtain passage of this important legislation.

Working together as a nation of united sportsmen and members of the multiple use community to support our champions in Congress we can be successful in this important endeavor.

On January 26th, 2011 HB H. R. 509 was introduced in the house of Representives in Wash. DC. The Bill was introduced by Congressmen Jim Matheson of Utah (D), Leonard Boswell of Iowa (D), Dan Boren of Oklahoma (D), Dennis Cardoza of California (D), and Mike Ross of Arkansas (D) along with Crongressmen Denny Rheberg of Montana (R), Cynthia Lummis of Wyoming (R),Tob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz of Utah (R),Greg Walden of Oregon (R), Raul Labrador and Mike Simpson of Idaho (R), Dean Heller of Navada (R), John Kline of Minnesota (R), Don Young of Alaska (R), and Paul Broun of Georgia (R).
--
Ryan Benson
http://biggameforever.org/
ryandbenson@msn.com
(801)870-5307

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia [Re: 9.3x57]
      #175120 - 09/02/11 01:40 AM

Four hundred wolves.

Holy crap.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia [Re: tinker]
      #175126 - 09/02/11 03:00 AM

400 - CRAP! That's a lot of teeth & bellies to fill.

Yeah - wonder if they are the big ones like in Alaska and BC- should be, shouldn't they - at least in Siberia.

Wolf in the picture is only about the size of a 5 or 6 month old BC wolf pup, yet it looks to be full grown. Look at the feet - tiny. A real wolf's feet are almost 5" wide.

True though 400 of those could raise havok, that's for sure.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by Daryl_S (09/02/11 03:08 AM)

Ironscot
.224 member

Reged: 14/08/07
Loc: Indian Nation
Re: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia [Re: DarylS]
      #177776 - 28/03/11 06:47 AM

And who says there is no sporting use for high capacity magazines.

Edited by Ironscot (28/03/11 06:48 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia [Re: Ironscot]
      #177793 - 28/03/11 02:33 PM

So any ideas why 400 have come together? Is it just a temporary chance thing? Or more likely a rich abundance of food somewhere, maybe compared to their usual grounds, has forced several packs into the same location?

What is the size of a normal pack?

Any ideas?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia [Re: NitroX]
      #177800 - 28/03/11 02:54 PM

I'd like to know more about this situation. It is a strange report.

Idaho packs run 5-15 animals or so. The ones here go about 5, rarely more. They spin off dispersers constantly, like tossing a handfull of marbles in a roulette wheel.

Wolves have been known to come together in large packs when they decimate prey in a given area, then concentrating around livestock producing areas. Super-packs do not normally stay together for long and in fact are really more like the general convergence in a similar area of multiple packs.

Game is not common in many areas of Russia. Not sure the region there.

Remember tho, 400 wolves would require 8000+ head of game of elk size in a year to support them.

Wolves are a disease to the ecosystems they inhabit.

No different than TB in the blood system of a man.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
      #177802 - 28/03/11 03:45 PM

During and after WW2 there was a wolf explosion after the over abundance of ''Meat'' lying around ,they thinned them out with machine guns and hand grenades.Hard to say what has caused this ? Greenies feeding them ?

iomskp
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/08
Loc: Cairns Queensland Australia
Re: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia [Re: 500Boswell]
      #178033 - 31/03/11 08:36 AM

Or should we be feeding them greens

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia [Re: iomskp]
      #178034 - 31/03/11 08:41 AM

Quote:

Or should we be feeding them greens

Absolutely !!!

Turn them into compost.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia [Re: 500Nitro]
      #178043 - 31/03/11 03:03 PM

A track from one of the local residents. Pic taken last Saturday on a ski jaunt near my house here.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #178065 - 01/04/11 01:39 AM

One pack filmed in Wyoming was 22 animals. The one keeping us awake a few years ago in hunting camp had 1 animals - large for that area.

As 9.3 indicated 5 to 7 animals is about normal. A new family pack of alpha male & female and a couple or more of their surviving pups can be joined by strays once that first batch of pups are developed - growing in numbers, with more alpha pups next/each season until the pack gets to large, then splits into small male/female packs to start again. That's my 'take' on it. The pack can become quite large before splitting - like the 22 filmed, but 400? - WOW! You can't tell me that only the alpha male and Female breed in that pack. There is no way she could control that many females.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: The super wolfpack of Verkhoyansk, Russia [Re: NitroX]
      #178069 - 01/04/11 03:52 AM

Quote:

Is it just a temporary chance thing? Or more likely a rich abundance of food somewhere, maybe compared to their usual grounds, has forced several packs into the same location?

I would think this case is quite the opposite. A LACK of food has driven them together to where the food is available: near villages.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4617

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com