Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cant trust them

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Cant trust them
      #177550 - 23/03/11 05:48 AM

They are after all regarded as a real bastard at the best of times.Fools!

Africa Hunting : Namibia: Leopard kills woman on German TV shoot
on 2011/3/22 13:38:40

A leopard not previously thought to be dangerous has killed a member of a German television crew making an episode in Namibia of a popular series, production company ndF said Wednesday.

"The animal was thought to be completely docile. Some members of the team even stroked him before," a spokeswoman for ndF told AFP after Friday's deadly incident outside the former German colony's capital Windhoek.

The 46-year-old victim, who has not been named, was part of a team preparing an episode of "Um Himmels Willen" ("For Heaven's Sake"), a light-hearted and long-running series set in and around a Bavarian nunnery.

"He completely unexpectedly went for her throat," Ulf Tubbesing, a Namibian-German television vet who owned the farm where the tragedy took place, told the Bild daily.

"I immediately ordered my farm manager to shoot the animal."

The woman died of her wounds at the scene.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Cant trust them [Re: gryphon]
      #177553 - 23/03/11 07:52 AM

I feel sorry for her family, but at least she's no longer in the gene pool.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Cant trust them [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #177554 - 23/03/11 07:56 AM

So this was a wild one ? (As in not a caged animal ?)

As you say Mike, no longer in the gene pool.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Cant trust them [Re: 500Nitro]
      #177555 - 23/03/11 08:03 AM

What? You can't get wild animals to understand you mean no harm by hugging them and watching a Disney movie together?

Powdersmoke
.224 member

Reged: 08/02/11
Loc: Pine Town Natal South Africa
Re: Cant trust them [Re: Ben]
      #177563 - 23/03/11 04:20 PM

Darwin award recipient? Sorry, but that is just plain stupid, it is a leopard after all......now the leopard is dead, because it's the leopards fault that it is a flesh eating predator? OMG we are an intelligent species, how the hell did we ever put a man on the moon?

Powdersmoke.

--------------------
There can never be too much gun........

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Cant trust them [Re: Powdersmoke]
      #177564 - 23/03/11 04:44 PM

Why did they have to kill it ?

It is a wild animal doing what it dos naturally
and it was human fault that put us in the position
that allowed it to do it.

Hell, we knowingly hunt DG, that is one thing but
putting yourself that close, god help them.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #177593 - 24/03/11 03:18 AM

Quote:

Why did they have to kill it ?

It is a wild animal doing what it dos naturally
and it was human fault that put us in the position
that allowed it to do it.

Hell, we knowingly hunt DG, that is one thing but
putting yourself that close, god help them.

ditto

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Freeloader123
.275 member

Reged: 23/07/10
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Cant trust them [Re: DarylS]
      #177652 - 25/03/11 10:34 AM

"The animal was thought to be completely docile"

Who in their right mind applies that phrase to a leopard?!?! Ever.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Cant trust them [Re: Freeloader123]
      #177653 - 25/03/11 10:37 AM

Quote:

"The animal was thought to be completely docile"

Who in their right mind applies that phrase to a leopard?!?! Ever.

Good point.

Like sleeping Lions, they can still go from asleep to full on charge in a split second.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #177668 - 25/03/11 03:24 PM

I imagine it was a caged leopard, not a "wild" one. But the ones I've seen caged still look wild enough to me.

Supposedly the only big cat that can be truly tamed is the cheetah.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Cant trust them [Re: NitroX]
      #177669 - 25/03/11 03:56 PM

This reminds me of that California dipshiat Timmie Treadwell. He thought he could tame bears up here. Too bad he forgot to feed them first..

Too soon dead and too late smart.

577500WR
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: Anchorage, AK
Re: Cant trust them [Re: AkMike]
      #177675 - 25/03/11 05:49 PM

I read this one and my thoughts went immediately to a short film I saw on the internet a few years back. It was a handheld camera that was recording the happenings where a leopard was being cajoled on the end of a catch stick into a cage in the back of a truck. The big black guy was there being rough with the cat and the cage didn't get completely nor properly closed. The large fellow got in the cab and began to roll up the window. The leopard got halfway into the cab and fired up the Arkansas cultivator and shredded him in record time.

Seeing that speed and power gave me a respect for leopards and all other big cats that will never diminish. I am sorry the folks on the film crew had not seen that footage as well...wild means unpredictable.

Matt

--------------------
Most folks nowadays think talking about guns is a perversity. I view the old guns as being a record of the industrial revolution transforming the ordinary into high art and functionality.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Cant trust them [Re: 577500WR]
      #177676 - 25/03/11 05:51 PM

I remember that or a similar Video - payback big time.

Is this it ?
h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcyA0Ef73qY

It is so damn fast it isn't funny.

Edited by 500Nitro (25/03/11 05:53 PM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #177679 - 25/03/11 07:35 PM

Nitro, right on the Cheetah, used to be quite popular pets amongst the aristos in the 1920īs, they also used to train them in India (and Africa I believe) in a sport called "chirk hawking", not sure on spelling, involving the use of a cheetah and a hawk, the hawk only ever being fed with meat from the eye socket of the skull of the antelope being hunted. It got used to this and when slipped at the game went for the eyes, while the antelope was panicking and couldnīt see well ! the cheetah was released and caught the antelope. I think it is still practiced in parts of the world, would love to see it. I personally never understood why anyone would want to shoot a cheetah, best, Mike

Freeloader123
.275 member

Re: Cant trust them [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #178373 - 04/04/11 07:12 PM

Quote:

I feel sorry for her family, but at least she's no longer in the gene pool.

I must in all good humor point out that she was 46 years old. Which under normal circumstances means she was out of the gene pool already. And whatever damage could be done, was already done.

In all honesty, I don't mean to make light of the poor woman's death. What was she supposed to know about leapords aside from the disinformation Animal Planet, Disney, et al, puts out? Or her German-Namibian friend who owned the farm and the leopard that ripped her throat out? I'm sure she wasn't stupid. She was mislead by people who abused her trust in them.

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
      #179849 - 24/04/11 04:33 PM

Quote:

I remember that or a similar Video - payback big time.

Is this it ?
h <a href="ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcyA0Ef73qY" target="_blank">ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcyA0Ef73qY</a>

It is so damn fast it isn't funny.

Yep, that's it (I do believe)!!

Link fixed so it's clickable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcyA0Ef73qY

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Cant trust them [Re: Powdersmoke]
      #179851 - 24/04/11 04:51 PM

Quote:

Darwin award recipient? Sorry, but that is just plain stupid, it is a leopard after all......now the leopard is dead, because it's the leopards fault that it is a flesh eating predator? OMG we are an intelligent species, how the hell did we ever put a man on the moon?

Powdersmoke.

G'Day Fella's,

Yeah, I'm with Powder Smoke on this!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Cant trust them [Re: Homer]
      #179883 - 25/04/11 02:45 AM

I've handled a couple of "tame" cheetah that belonged to some people we stayed with in Namibia, including walking one on a leash from one enclosure to another. No way in hell would I trust them for a split second. Doing the same with a leopard would have been completely out of the question. So I can't help but not feel all that sorry for the dead woman...

Freeloader123
.275 member

Re: Cant trust them [Re: EricD]
      #182381 - 24/05/11 06:22 PM

I guess I'm the odd man out here. I do feel some sympathy for this woman. She was lied to all her life, and she believed the lies. In her final seconds on Earth with a leopard ripping her throat out she had an "Awww s$#@" moment when she realized people she trusted had betrayed her.

Too late. So sorry.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't have utter contempt for people who fall for the indoctrination forced down their throats 24/7/365. Contempt, yes. Just not utter contempt. I find a little room to include pity.

Most people growing up in the modern, urban world that is the West are insulated from the realities of life and death. Deliberately so. I can't necessarily blame them for buying into the misrepresentations that they're fed. Given the fact they're never exposed to reality, what else could anyone expect?

I'll tell you this: if any critter needed to be destroyed, it was the German/Namibian farmer. The one who claimed the leopard was thought to be "docile."

The leopard was only acting according to its nature. The farmer was claiming the animal had an entirely different nature than what it actually had.

That at the very least if gross negligence if not fraud.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Cant trust them [Re: Freeloader123]
      #182983 - 02/06/11 04:51 AM

I feel sorry for the poor lady but she died out of collective stupidity. I consider that a wild animal has to remain wild. What humans inflict to tame wild animals is just egotism. Wholy a wild animal can't feel at ease in the human word, it's not conceive for this type life, which mainly supposed unlimited submission.
Sadly it's plainly clear when a wild cat is concerned. Just look at the home cat, she is still savage. After all the cat was only domesticated 5000 years ago. From the Aegytians. In the middle age in France, in some places it was considered a crime to kill a cat. This animal was just colonizing Europe and was so precious to kill pests and rodents.
Just check how many "problems" occured every year all over the world with long time (a couple of generations) tame lions or tigers (be they white).

As regards to guepard, last year a guepard in a zoo managed to kill a woman in a German zoo.
My good friend Jean Paul a vet (Erik knows him) explained me that he was to take care of a sheetah once or twice a year. Any time the he-sheetah was hooking him. Sheetah have a hook-shaped claw on the forearm (as some hounds have on the back legs) to anchor the running preys. This sheetah looked friendly but couldn't refrain to anchor at knee high a guy who could torment him.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Cant trust them [Re: 577500WR]
      #182994 - 02/06/11 12:12 PM

I have the leopard video - appeared the'd backed the truck/cage up to a tree, but the cat wouldn't leave - I got the impression they were trying to get it out of the cage, not merely harrass the cat - but to release it. Well, it didn't take many too many pokes to piss off that cat.

--------------------
Daryl

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #183198 - 07/06/11 11:45 AM

A male leopard? I would bet this woman was in her menstrual cycle. what we humans seem to forget is animals have a much greater sense of smell and are prone to attacking during that time of the month. There have been several documented cases of normally docile black bears attacking women for no apparent reason in the US while in their period.
Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Cant trust them [Re: aromakr]
      #183225 - 08/06/11 01:49 AM

In Canada, it's mostly bears attacking campers in the Parks, camping young people who are not gifted with enough intellegence to figure THAT ONE OUT.

When my girls hit high school & later and started talking about 'trips' to the park - they got lectured time and again - I also included my wife in the lecture - "We know Dad" was the response after the first, but they still got it. "It won't happen to me" is merely an ignorant response.

A motorcycle at thed Yammaha shop years ago, had just been driven through Jasper, they stayed overnight and in the morning there was a bear-sized bite out of the front of teh passenger seat. She 'leaked' a bit is all, wiped it up of course, but not washed with soap. The bike was parked behind a motel on the main drag.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #188074 - 18/08/11 01:53 AM

Check this out:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=198187673567168&oid=131964453502556&comments

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Cant trust them [Re: NitroX]
      #188097 - 18/08/11 10:11 AM

There was a segment in our news last nite showing tourist at Yellowstone park taking pictures of a Grizzly bear that was along side the road. Must have been twenty or more people out of their cars less than fifteen feet from this adolescent bear, no telling where momma was. I guess you don't have to be blond to be stupid.
Bob

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8746

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com