Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speed Sporter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: 8mm [Re: jc5]
      #129416 - 13/03/09 11:25 AM

I made the question on another forum:
http://cartridgecollectors.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6041

Martin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Old_rifle_nut]
      #130226 - 22/03/09 02:19 PM

Well I've done a little more work on the Lee Speed fake , cleaned up the bolt & sights and had a little engraving done on the dust cover ,the mag was a bit rough to clean up , but I can change that later , will try to blue in the next few weeks , then get stock & fit that !

Edited by CptCurl (15/11/10 11:22 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Sarg]
      #130357 - 24/03/09 05:34 PM

a mauser for a mannlicher cartridge, another fact about the .315 india I believe, nice dan fraser with an unusual designation : 500/320
http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...&GunID=1343
#3677, Daniel Fraser & Co. Ltd. London & Edinburgh: A Fraser Takedown Mauser Action Classic Bolt Rifle in Caliber 500/320 High Velocity Nitro Express (8x50R Austrian Mannlicher) Pre-War I Bolt Rifle that is totally original with a 27" barrel with an island sight with 1 standing rear sight, Ramp front sight with a fold-up night sight, Barrel sling eye, Nitro proved as a 320-S for the .323" diameter bullet, It has the neat patent Fraser trigger and engraved on the receiver bridge "Fitted With Fraser's Patent Trigger Action", Checkered trigger face with the sides engraved, Full checkered bolt knob, Matted receiver ring, Non-hinged floorplate, It has a pure classic pre-war stock with a detachable forend with a Deeley release, Henry style forend, A very nice profiled horn grip cap, Shadow line cheekpiece, Wrap around point pattern checkering, 14 1/8" L.O.P. over a checkered horn buttplate, 7 lbs. 15 oz. It has 60% coverage of original engraving on the receiver, floorplate and trigger guard, forend release, bolt handle, all screws and the rear sling eye. This is an original gun with 75% original bluing, the stock at 80% and the checkering at 90-92% and the bore is absolutely excellent plus. The gun has superb inletting and it is serial numbered on the barrel, forend, stock and action. This is nice stuff here by a superb maker of the Scottish trade. We can load ammo for this cartridge with any 8mm/.323" bullets of your choice.

I wonder how they handle the rimmed 8x50 R in the mauser zick-zack magazin.
what do you think? a mauser companion to the lee speed rifle in .315 india build for the indian market?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (15/11/10 11:23 PM)

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: lancaster]
      #130390 - 25/03/09 02:07 AM

..Thats funny...I have just come across a Lee Speed Sporter in 500/320. Really nice rifle in standard grade...only £350,-- It appears that the british doens´t appreciate those guns at all...It make me wonder??.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: rigbymauser]
      #130397 - 25/03/09 04:59 AM

dont wonder, buy it!

and send a pm if you find a lee speed in .375

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Sarg
.400 member

#137461 - 17/06/09 08:53 PM

Got the bolt cleaned up and blued , next for sights & stock work !

Edited by CptCurl (15/11/10 11:24 PM)

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
      #137818 - 23/06/09 09:33 AM

Sarg,
Nicely done - how do you feel about refitting the magazine cut-off?

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Story]
      #137838 - 23/06/09 07:26 PM

Story,
Thank you - I will be ordering fore end wood with the wood covering the mag cut-off machining ,
I think it will look a little better ?

I can get the stock maker to knock out a butt the same as BSA sporter or the English Classic pattern , which I think I will go with as I can fit a nice Silvers style recoil pad to it .
And I will cut barrel back to 21in , just for looks !

Sarg
.400 member

#141558 - 04/09/09 05:40 PM

I have done a bit more on the Lee Speed Fake , begining to look like a sporter , I have changed the action to a Lee Speed action , full of holes that I will get Laser Welded up , hope the bluing will match !

I have put a Buffalo horn tip on it , from a Bull I shot so thats cool & Buff horn grip cap (not my one) still heaps to do , only glued the parts on for the photos !

She shot 10 shots in one big hole at 20yds to test the sights & head space (used gauge first) .

Edited by CptCurl (15/11/10 11:25 PM)

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
      #141770 - 09/09/09 06:53 AM

Sarg,
Nicely set up - going to checker the pistol grip yourself?

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Story]
      #141772 - 09/09/09 07:16 AM

Thank you Story , I don't have the skill to checker her , so will need to get that done one day when I get more money , I will just get it all together for now , I need a wood guy to set back the fore wood as there is a little gap next to butt skocket !

I thought no one was interested & was not going to post any more photos , still might not , it is a pain !

Cheers

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
      #141851 - 10/09/09 11:57 PM

Quote:

Thank you Story , I don't have the skill to checker her , so will need to get that done one day when I get more money , I will just get it all together for now , I need a wood guy to set back the fore wood as there is a little gap next to butt skocket !

I thought no one was interested & was not going to post any more photos , still might not , it is a pain !

Cheers

To the contrary, some of us are highly interested in the progress of your project. Your stock design is excellent and should prove to have excellent handling properties. I am interested in details of the forend inletting; is the barrel free-floated, or is it tightly bedded? Pictures of the inletting would be greatly appreciated. I have had problems with wandering zeros and am looking for a good solution.

Carpetsahib

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #142179 - 17/09/09 04:40 PM

Sarg , where did you get the front sight and barrel swivel from ??

thanks
Pete

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #142186 - 17/09/09 09:03 PM

My forewood needs to be fitted better by a wood guy , the fore end is a very tricky thing on these , the Lee Speeds had a extra fastner screw , which I may fit yet .

The front sight is a Bruno 600 & I draw filed the barrel down to fit & I made the sling eye from a wood sling eye & 12Ga barrel cut off !

Took me hours , because I have no idea what I'm doing , LoL

Edited by CptCurl (15/11/10 11:25 PM)

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Marrakai]
      #159403 - 24/04/10 11:25 AM

Quote:

Carpetsahib:
A technical question about your beautifully reworked SMLE if I may: Did the action squeeze together or open up slightly at the rear when you cut the clip-loading bridge off? I was always cautioned not to remove the bridge in my younger days of zealous 'hack-saw gunsmithing', for fear of the action closing slightly and binding the bolt. Any evidence of this in your case?

Very nice job, BTW. Congratulations. I get a lot of pleasure from seeing the old three-oh getting the attention and respect it so richly deserves!

Nice Lee Speed from MacNaughton too. Marvellous stuff!

I just bought a box of parts and sights that had belonged to a gunsmith working here in Canada in the 30s and 40s, perhaps even earlier. There were several charger bridges and pieces of others in the box, so he was obviously removing them.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Old_Glass]
      #159406 - 24/04/10 11:47 AM

Sarg that is nice work, mind you it does make me want to hunt for a butchered SMLE and do similar. Any updates on your project.

Cheers
Greg

Phillip
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/10
Loc: North Carolina
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Rule303]
      #161235 - 31/05/10 11:13 PM

I'm in the middle of a project myself. You guys have been a great help.

--------------------
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Edited by CptCurl (15/11/10 11:26 PM)

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Phillip]
      #161256 - 01/06/10 07:31 AM

Sorry Greg/Rule303 , Missed your post , well sort of I now have 2 real Lee Speed part rifles & I put all the parts from the frist one on one of them (not finished) & I need a fore stock for the other & I have fitted a BSA Motty target barrel to it (not finished) & one standard Lee Speed Carbine action & 4 BSA standard sporter actions to do , Oh & a LSA sporter , none will get done now for years as I need to go out of the country for a while .

Phillip is one of those rifles a real BSA/Lee Speed you are useing for a pattern ?

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
      #161281 - 01/06/10 07:05 PM

Ahhh Gentlemen ............. you do relaise that Parker-Hale did just such conversions on both the No1 and the No4 Enfields, removed the charger bridge. These were called the "Custom" and the made a coupe of side mounts to accept the normal P-H Roll Off scope rings. I recently acquired a P-H BA27 which is the side mount for the No1 Custom. BA 29 was the one for the No4 Custom. The next model down in the P-H line up was of course the Supreme.

As for wood the best stocks I have seen for these is the SILE wood that P-H used and others such as the London Armoury Co who also sporterised Enfields. Sile also supplied BSA with their stock wood and their name can be found stamped in the barrel channel or under the but pad.

Oh if someone is stuck for the English Sling eyes fittied to the British sporting rifles of this period then drop me a line as I have some I could spare. I lucked into about 30 of them, the ones that screw into the wood that is, some time ago and I don't need all 30 of them.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Phillip
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/10
Loc: North Carolina
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Brithunter]
      #161283 - 01/06/10 07:44 PM

yes..
and I have an Army&Navy also,out getting some work done.

--------------------
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Edited by CptCurl (15/11/10 11:27 PM)

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Old_rifle_nut]
      #171469 - 15/11/10 02:02 PM

Old Rifle Nut, I just ordered a Lee Speed built by Clabrough & Johnstone so guess you can add there name as well
Will send photos when it gets here

Here are a couple photos of rifles belonging to a friend

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: Lee Speed Sporters for Sale [Re: 458Win]
      #173583 - 22/12/10 05:39 AM

Hate to do it but raising funds for an African safari that was promised when my son graduated from Engineering. (Not to worry, one of my 5 other Lee Speed sporters will probably accompany me there.)

Army & Navy Co-operative Society Ltd. #1 Deluxe Pattern High Velocity Sporting Rifle in 303

An ARMY & NAVY CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY High Velocity Sporting Rifle #1 Deluxe Pattern Lee Speed Sporting Rifle by B.S.A. Co. The rifle is fitted with a 24 ½” round barrel having a full-length engine turned rib. The top of the rib, above the Knox form, has the standard 3 stacked rifles BSA logo on it, while the right side of the barrel carries the standard 1904-1915 era Birmingham proof house marks thereon. The receiver, which is nicely engraved with standard fine scroll engraving, is marked B.S.A. Co. on the right action strap. The rear sight is the standard B.S.A. cape sight, i.e., 1 standing 100 yard leaf, folding leaves for 200 and 300 yards & a flip up ladder sight for 400 to 1,000 yards. The front sight is a standard HVSR front sight. The sight bead appears to be made of platinum. The rifle carries the standard 10 round Metford pattern magazine, which was actually an option according to the 1912 B.S.A. Co. catalogue. The nicely figured & finely-chequered, with mullered borders, French walnut stock is fitted with a horn fore-end tip & horn pistol-grip cap. The rifle has the standard British large eye sling swivel studs, the front of which is attached to the barrel. The LOP is 14 ¼” to a steel Buttplate, complete with trap, brass oiler & pull through, which were supplied as standard by the factory. The rifle is fitted with the Metford / Long Lee type bolt-mounted safety & border-engraved dust cover as well as the magazine cut-off. The stock carries a silver initial oval mounted ~4 1/8” forward of the toe. The bore is frosaty but lots of rifling remain. $2,000.00.

Stephan Grant & Sons #6 Pattern High Velocity Sporting Rifle in 303

A Stephen Grant & Sons Ltd. High Velocity Sporting Rifle #6 Pattern Lee Speed Sporting Rifle by London Small Arms Ltd. The rifle is fitted with a 24” round barrel having an integral front sight boss, complete with hood & ivory faced front bead. The right side of the barrel carries the standard 1904-1915 era London proof house marks thereon. The receiver is marked L.S.A. Co. Ld. on the right action strap. The rear sight is the standard pattern cape sight, i.e., 1 standing 100 yard leaf, folding leaves for 200 and 300 yards & a flip up ladder sight for 400 to 1,000 yards. Just forward of the rear sight, the top of the barrel is engraved STEPHAN GRANT & SONS 67 A ST. JAMES’S STREET, LONDON. The rifle carries the 5 round carbine pattern magazine. The nicely figured & finely-chequered, with mullered borders, French walnut stock is fitted with a horn fore-end tip & horn pistol-grip cap. The rifle has sling swivel studs, the front of which is attached to the barrel. The LOP is 14 ¼” to a steel Buttplate, complete with trap, brass oiler & pull through, which were supplied as standard by the factory. The rifle is fitted with the Metford / Long Lee pattern bolt-mounted safety & border-engraved dust cover as well as the magazine cut-off. The stock carries a silver initial oval mounted ~4 ¼” forward of the toe. $1,500.00

Photos by email request to interested parties. Note: sold to Canadian buyers only due to restrictions on export.

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: Lee Speed Sporters [Re: Old_rifle_nut]
      #177530 - 22/03/11 02:46 PM

Picked up another one to add to the small collection. This one is what I would call a 1 & 1/2 Pattern. The action straps, cocking piece, trigger guard, magazine & screws are engraved but the barrel carries a half rib (the standard B.S.A.Co. engine turned rib goes from the normal barrel / receiver joint to about 1 1/2" in front of the rear sight, where it is shaped to a point). It was retailed by Alex. Martin. The top of the barrel ahead of the front sight is stamped SUPERIOR NICKEL STEEL, has a barrel band front sling swivel & a chequering pattern similar to my Holland & Holland Mauser rifle, ie the chequering continues until it ends in a flat almost up to the horn fore-end. As well, the chequering on the hand continues around the top of the grip in a circular pattern rather than the standard arrow point pointing toward the comb. Nice piece of fiddleback & marblecake timber on it. Other than that, it is pretty well standard, with a blank silver initial plate, engraved trap butt-plate, horn (or maybe bake-lite) grip cap. Haven't gotten busy with the camera yet. Just got finished cleaning the bore & after all the blue goop came out, it looks like it could be a real shooter / keeper.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 72407

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com