Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Model B Stock

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Tentman
.300 member

Reged: 13/06/10
Loc: Southland, New Zealand
Model B Stock
      #176894 - 10/03/11 09:14 AM

Hello Guys

I just made a purchase that on arrival has turned out to be a Mauser Model B in 7x57. The action is dated 1910, and is in very useable condition, bore has strong rifling, and is bright without pitting. Takes the no-go gauge but I hand-load, so that can be worked around. I’ll post up pictures soon.

I took a real risk on this (bought sight unseen except for the bolt) but got it for very little money. Couple of interesting points, the bottom metal has the standard military button latch (but has a sporting rifle profile) and there is a small flat at the front of the reinforce like a mini “knox form”, apparently both features that are “known” but a bit unusual.

My intention was to “part it out” but its too good for that, all numbers match, its not drilled or tapped and while it is missing its rear tangent sight it has a “period correct” receiver sight.

However the stock is pretty sad, it’s been broken (and repaired) at the wrist, and very heavily sanded, to the extent that the checkering is totally gone and the bottom metal really protrudes.

What chance is there I could find an original stock ?? Has anyone got or know of a original stock (or tangent sight) I might be able to obtain ??

Obviously if this doesn’t pan out I’ll find a “contemporary” 98 stock and modify it.

Cheers - Foster

--------------------
Southland, New Zealand

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Model B Stock [Re: Tentman]
      #176915 - 10/03/11 11:11 PM

Nearly all the pre-1912 commercial Mauser Bs have the military style floorplate. If the tangent sight on your rifle were still present, you would see the purpose of that tiny flat on the barrel reinforce: It allowes the tangent sight to be set in it's lowest, 100m position.
Good luck in finding an original, pre-1912 stock! Tese came with a round pistol grip, tapering, no Schnabel, foreend and half-oval, C-shaped side panels.

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

Tentman
.300 member

Reged: 13/06/10
Loc: Southland, New Zealand
Re: Model B Stock [Re: kuduae]
      #176948 - 11/03/11 06:39 AM

Thank-you Kuduae, its very nice to learn about these rifles, down here in NZ there is so little expert knowledge (an otherwise competent local gunsmith tried to tell me the other day that " the B U G proofs on a Model B were English").

I wasn't heart-set on an original, just period correct would be a good start !

I have posted pictures on the "pictures" forum.

Thanks - Foster

Edited by Tentman (11/03/11 06:41 AM)

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: Model B Stock [Re: Tentman]
      #177004 - 12/03/11 01:13 PM

You may have to consider getting a new stock made for it ...Mausers look good in NZ walnut.

John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Model B Stock [Re: darwinmauser]
      #177005 - 12/03/11 01:51 PM

Foster; This is a long shot at best, but go to the Tradeex Canada site. They often have used stocks for sale that might work for you till you find exactly what you want. I however don't know if they will ship to NZ but email Anthony and enquire - you've nothing to lose. FWIW --- John303.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2903

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com