Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: YOUR OPINION on Axis Full Metal Jacket

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
YOUR OPINION on Axis Full Metal Jacket
      #176886 - 10/03/11 05:23 AM

Personnally I find them very expensive for what is advertised as extra penetration.
Once again I was shown an Axis FMJ that has failed.
As usual, You just have to have it roll on your palm to understand that the shaft is very slightly bent.
For not experiencing such a nightmare, missing a boar at less than 15m, the better thing to do would be not at all testing the arrows that you're going to use for hunting as they can bend when hitting hard targets or ground.

I'd like to know if you have been confronted with this poor pissed flight arrow??????????

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: YOUR OPINION on Axis Full Metal Jacket [Re: larcher]
      #176890 - 10/03/11 07:15 AM

Douglas fir for me, JB.

larcher
.416 member

Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: YOUR OPINION on Axis Full Metal Jacket [Re: Ben]
      #176920 - 11/03/11 12:50 AM

I have too much respect for trees and firs to used them

I see that you're a tradi hunter and I congratulate You. Sadly I am really mistreating my arrows and the poor fir shafts wouldn't stand long.
Moreover, the wooden shaft we get in France aren't impressive, perhaps we are the receiving end of the garbage from all over the world?

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #176927 - 11/03/11 01:42 AM

I prefered cedar for target and fir, pine or spruce for hunting- until tendenitis took over, that is. Yeah- I've got that aluminum garbage and some nasty looking carbons, but wood shafts are the best.

Missing at 15 m? If not shooting a longbow, perhaps the arrow wasn't at fault. I've done a lot of shooting with bent shafts on the butts with my unsighted compound, and losing an X to a 10, 10 to a 9 or 9 to a 8 is about all that has happened due to a bent shaft - at 18m.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Scott
.275 member

Loc: Florida, USA
      #187647 - 09/08/11 11:22 AM

Although I have never shot the Axis FMJ, I have used the ACC's for 3D competition. Just like a regular aluminum arrow, care must be taken when pulling the arrow from the target. I have personally seen people bend their arrows by torquing them when removing them from the target. The problem with aluminum is that it can be bent without proper care. Carbon can not bend but it will break.

FRJ
.224 member

Reged: 09/01/12
Loc: Washington (wet side)
Re: YOUR OPINION on Axis Full Metal Jacket [Re: Scott]
      #204001 - 28/02/12 03:28 PM

The Axis FMJ's are not the answer as they can be bent due to the conduit tubing over the carbon. The hot lick is the plain Axis shafts. No bending and I haven't been able to break one in over 5 years. I shoot probably 500 or so arrows out of my longbows or recurves every week and the Axis are by far the cheapest arrow around because they are so durable.Plus they penetrate deeper due to their small diameter. Port orford cedar is probably the worst arrow shaft out there. They break far too easily and I really dont care how good they smell. They always break right behind the taper. I can go stump shooting with a dozen of them and have all of them broken in an hour. Not from misses but from impact in 100 year old stumps. Doug fir is preety good wood shafting and much stronger than POC. FRJ

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: YOUR OPINION on Axis Full Metal Jacket [Re: FRJ]
      #204051 - 29/02/12 07:01 AM

The pine I've used was pretty good

Taylor, my brother just made up some battle shafts - Ash! They are both tough and heavy, at over 1,000gr. These were made for his 100 pound English Warbow. With the 3" case-hardened bodkins - they are also penetrators.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2969

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com