Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rogue River Gun Works

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
shrike
.224 member

Reged: 16/07/04
Rogue River Gun Works
      #17543 - 03/08/04 12:36 PM

I remember seeing some nice doubles build by the above mentioned company on a shot show about 10 years ago.
Are they still around?
How did their guns actually perform in the field?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Rogue River Gun Works [Re: shrike]
      #17545 - 03/08/04 01:25 PM

There still around and in fact purchased Rigby about 5 years ago. They make their rifles in So Cal. somewhere. I never hear anything good or bad about them. It doesn't seem like they sell many rifles to anybody on any of the forums I read.

I haven't looked at one of the Rigby's for a few years but the first ones they made were POS.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
Re: Rogue River Gun Works [Re: mickey]
      #17546 - 03/08/04 02:56 PM

Rogue River is the new Rigby company in Paso Robles Ca. There are rumors that they may make a come back as a more budget minded Rigby type rifle.. They actualy made very nice bolt guns, but I never saw their doubles..

450Dakota

Geronimo
.275 member

Reged: 14/04/04
Loc: Michigan,USA
Re: Rogue River Gun Works [Re: 450Dakota]
      #17549 - 03/08/04 03:58 PM

I have owned a .500NE Rigby for 3 or 4 years now and find it well made and accurate. I've taken 4 buffalo (the last charged and I dropped him with a double tap at about 30 feet) and 3 elephant with the gun. If I had any criticism, it would be that Geoff Miller builds the guns too heavy for caliber. I tell him that every time I talk to him. When I took possesion of my rifle I immediately sent it back and told Geoff it was too heavy (12 lbs.). One of the mercury tubes was removed, the other repositioned to restore balance, now it weighs 11.2 lbs. and is just right. Customer service is primo.

Geronimo

webley
.224 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Re: Rogue River Gun Works [Re: Geronimo]
      #17583 - 05/08/04 02:29 AM

In reply to:

Customer service is primo.

Is "Primo" shorthand for 'crap'?

To Be fair though I’m sure many customers have had good service from them but the vast majority of people inquiring about the original Rigby records have got nowhere – even when they’ve made it plain they’d be happy to pay a ‘research fee’. The standard response for Rigby (USA) is along the lines of “We are currently putting the records on a computer database so we are unable to access them”. This line has been trotted out for at least a couple of years.

Historical enquiries may be a distraction for a busy company but apart from the earnings from any fee charged the main thing Rigby (USA) should bear in mind is that buying a ‘name’ like Rigby carries with it a certain responsibility. They play the ‘history card’ in their advertisement but don’t appear to care about it in reality. They certainly have caused nothing but bad PR by this attitude.

As to the guns – I’ll stay with my ‘old’ Rigby.

Regards
Webley

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
      #17588 - 05/08/04 06:10 AM

Just FYI, here's their web site:

http://www.johnrigbyandco.com/

-Bob F.

Farkey
.224 member

Reged: 21/09/03
Loc: Pacific NW
Re: Rogue River Gun Works [Re: BFaucett]
      #17609 - 05/08/04 04:38 PM

Very well said Webley!

In a few weeks I'll be in London and I will visit the "other' Rigby who have been more then helpful when reseaching my "old" Rigbys.

Edited by Farkey (05/08/04 04:40 PM)

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Rogue River Gun Works [Re: webley]
      #17629 - 06/08/04 09:28 AM

Webley

I can only echo your sentiments about the obligations and responsiblities of people that seek to aggrandise their businesses by buying the naming rights to revered Gunmakers!

But, there is a flip-side for (genuine) Rigby owners!

The minute the Paso Robles crew got hold of the name, the value of real Rigby's went up a notch in my estimation.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Rogue River Gun Works [Re: 470Rigby]
      #17632 - 06/08/04 11:31 AM

470Rigby

Ditto that. About 20% I'd guess. I wish I had one.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Rogue River Gun Works [Re: mickey]
      #17668 - 07/08/04 10:03 AM

Mick

Greedy boy - you can't have everything!!

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #17686 - 08/08/04 02:09 AM

In reply to:

Rogue River is the new Rigby company in Paso Robles Ca. There are rumors that they may make a come back as a more budget minded Rigby type rifle.. They actualy made very nice bolt guns, but I never saw their doubles..
450Dakota

Rogue River was the rifle they built before they bought the Rigby name. The Rouge River rifles were "GLUED" together, I'm told, with a space age glue that was designed to hold the heat tiles on the space shuttle! It didn't work too well, IMO! However, this is no longer true of the rifles made under the rigby name, at least not totally! Some of the glueing may still be used, but the regulation, and ribs are soldered in the conventional way!

The origenal Rouge River rifles did not regulate too well, in my experience, and the "ONE" Rigby I shot did not regulate well either. To be fair, however, this was a rifle I was invited to shoot at a fireing range, that belonged to someone else, and it was shooting the owners handloads, so that may have been the problem, probably was, because the rifle fit me fine. It seemed to me to be slightly muzzle heavy, and heavy for caliber, however!

That can't be taken as a hit against all Cal. Rigby rifles, because the rifle may have been ordered built that way, by the owner, and his handloads may have been all wrong for the rifle to regulate! I didn't ask him a lot of questions, because I had no desire to give him the idea I was putting his rifle down! He seemed very proud of it!

I'm not fond of the California Rigbys, but they are a far cry better then the Rouge River Rifles! Glitz, however, is only skin deep, and if the quality isn't there under the cloths, then the glitz is wasted! I would rather have a PH model B. Searcy, if I wanted to use it for hunting. The Searcys are very accurate, and strong,without the shine, but the glitz can be had if that turns your crank, still at much less money!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3882

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com