Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 'yotes wising up?!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Freeloader123
.275 member

Reged: 23/07/10
Loc: Dallas, Texas
'yotes wising up?!!
      #176503 - 03/03/11 10:55 AM

I live in North Texas. More and more I see coyotes studying us. There's a park near my house where just about every day you can count on spotting a coyote sitting or laying there, watching the kids play.

Has anyone else noticed the same kind of thing?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 'yotes wising up?!! [Re: Freeloader123]
      #176511 - 03/03/11 12:10 PM

You could be quite right in your area.

Here we sort of wage war on them, and a tough war it is...mountains, snow, heavy timber, skis, snowshoes, pistol, snare, club, rifle.

Aside from saving livestock, we sort of feel morally committed to killing them for other reasons. This year, first in 50 with no cow elk season. With wolves devastating our game herds and destroying our hunting culture, we kill their little cousins just to justify the deer and dwindling elk we harvest in the Fall.

So, a new hunting culture is born; predator killing.

Anyway, let them study, gives us more time to settle the sights.

Here's a few from this winter;

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Freeloader123
.275 member

Re: 'yotes wising up?!! [Re: 9.3x57]
      #176542 - 03/03/11 05:49 PM

I wish we had more of a winter; they don't grow much fur around here. Not that that stops me.

I'm looking forward to some PETA type defiling a fur I've given to my girlfriend. And the expression he or she'll get when I say "Great. Now I'll just have to go and kill another one."

9.3x57
.450 member

#176554 - 04/03/11 12:09 AM

Ours have prime sellable fur for a very short time, a few weeks really. After that they are rubbed pretty badly. We just kill them to help out the game populations and are doing our best to get the Autumn-only so-called "hunters" off the couch in winter to go kill more.

As I said, we all in the Northwest must weed the garden. My generation will likely never see the great herds of game we had again due to collapse of elk {deer, moose} populations due to the introduction of wolves, but we must grow up a new generation to catch a vision of what could be in the future. For us it is 1910 all over again, thanks to the eco-terrorist collusion between USFWS, Defenders of Wildlife, Earthjustice, Sierra Club and others.

I suspect we will see a breakdown in law and order throughout the region, also. Most people outside the region really do not understand just what has occured here and that actually goes for many urbanized people in the region, but due to the current lawsuit driven by the terrorist organization "Center for Biological Diversity" they may get a better understanding as wolves may be introduced into everyone's backyards in coming years unless Congress does something to prevent it.

For myself, I hope Nebraska, SD, Ohio, Georgia, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Texas, etc, etc get wolves forced upon them. I hope they feel the same destructive power of a disease run amuck just like we have.

All the country sat around and did nothing...hunters and hunting organizations included...while we were literally thrown to the wolves. Nobody cared. Looks like the only way somebody will care is if their own culture is destroyed by The Disease.

Right now several eco-terrorist organizations are mobilizing to obtain protections for coyotes, too.

Laughable?

I don't think so.

No one 50 years ago would have believed for a moment that wolves would have been introduced after the great efforts made to rightly get rid of them.

Canid carnivores are an immense threat to the hunting culture of the USA. See the on-going issues for South Carolina, etc where coyotes have expanded.

We need a new culture of canid control, and that control must include changing laws to allow the use of species-specific toxicants.

It is funny; the eco-terrorists seem to bathe in a squirming mass of attorneys riding long careers on the destruction of life, property and industry of rural America. Where are the attorney's for our side? Few and far between, but we need them and we need creative approaches to fight the onslaught of Starvation Politics that is destroying the rural economies of vast areas of the West.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Freeloader123
.275 member

#176561 - 04/03/11 03:51 AM

Quote:

For myself, I hope Nebraska, SD, Ohio, Georgia, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Texas, etc, etc get wolves forced upon them.

Thanks for the thought.

9.3x57
.450 member

#176564 - 04/03/11 04:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For myself, I hope Nebraska, SD, Ohio, Georgia, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Texas, etc, etc get wolves forced upon them.

Thanks for the thought.

Well, I know it sounds pretty callous, but we here realize the only way change will occur is if other more powerful states get involved.

You will be glad to know one of your Texas Reps; Chet Edwards, is leading the delisting law efforts in the House. Call his office and let him know you are on board and support him.

BTW: Federal records from 1915-1930 abound with references to the devastation wolves wroght in Texas, and the Texas livestock industry was instrumental in supporting predator control efforts.

--------------------

Freeloader123
.275 member

#176792 - 08/03/11 11:06 AM

It'd do no good for me to call Chet Edwards. He got voted out last November, and was replaced by Bill Flores. I'll call my local Rep and both Senators, though, and tell them to support the bills to delist the wolf now moving through both chambers.

I don't really care to have a plague of wolves. Coyotes are bad enough. They're more than a nuisance. People underestimate them because they're small, but they can become a real menace.

Here in the southwest a really big male is maybe 40lbs, with most weighing less. What people don't understand is that suburban coyotes behave differently than coyotes in their natural environment. They form large packs around a particularly bold leader, and it's the leader and their numbers that make them really dangerous. Some people mistakenly believe that their dog is too big to be attacked. Not true. When I lived in SoCal there were documented cases of 80-90lb dogs attacked, and they had to be rescued by their owners. Pit Bulls have been attacked. It doesn't really matter how tough your dog is, if 10 or 11 coyotes attack it, it's in life-threatening danger.

They're smart. They'll send a bitch in heat through a neighborhood to troll for dogs, and if one chases her she leads it back to the pack which kills and eats it. Which is what this 'yote is probably doing, but you never know for sure.

It's not too big a leap for one of these 'yotes to go from thinking "people are a source of food" to "people are food."

They never made that leap here. Even though they kill about as many pets in both places, CA has always had more attacks on humans than TX. Biologists say that's because people in TX traditionally never had a bunny-hugger attitude toward them as they do in CA. Here, we'd rather kill them than have them around. In CA people will deliberately feed them. I've known of people who lost their pets to them, and still put bowls of food out on the back porch to feed the coyotes that killed their pet, if you can believe that. So up till now, coyotes have never made the leap here that they've made there; that humans are no longer threat but prey. Unfortunately we have a lot of people moving in with no experience with these animals and whose only know what "Animal Planet" tells them about nature. So the situation here seems to be changing.

Wolves and coyotes are methodical hunters and both go through a nearly identical 7 stage process when evaluating possible new prey species such as humans. Based on my observations, we are now at stage 6.

Quote:

6) Coyotes seen in and around children’s play areas, school grounds, and parks in mid-day

Stage 7 is identical for both wolves and coyotes; they confront adults.

So it looks like they're about to make that leap here in N. Texas.

Happy Birthday Reggie
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/10
Loc: Southeastern Louisiana, USA
      #178621 - 09/04/11 04:53 PM

Coyotes only have two interests: eating and breeding.

However, a coyote that can be plainly seen in the daytime is not necessarily "wise", just hungry. The plain and simple fact is that most people put more "coyote food" in their garbage than you would believe (including the cats that are "put out" at night, but don't return). The coyotes are just sizing up their next delicatesan. Unfortunately, the closer that garbage brings them to humans, the closer they are to deciding a small child could be on the menu.

We do have a fair population of coyotes down here in bayou country, you often hear them, but have to look hard to see them. Our REAL problems are with coydogs. These animals are extremely smart, move in packs and are particularly voracious, but (so far) they mostly live away from people.

One more thing...for every coyote that you DO see in one area, there are at least 3 more in that immediate vicinity.

Reggie

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 'yotes wising up?!! [Re: Reggie]
      #178647 - 09/04/11 11:01 PM

Freeloader, you said a lot, and good stuff, too. I did not know Edwards was voted out.

Ditto Reggie.

Here we have seen coyote packing activity increasing and tho it was a phenomenon to me, Mech states it has been observed by coyotes in the presence of wolves. Very interesting. We are observing many changes in animal behavior due to wolves.

My hunting has changed so much over the last few years. I used to be merely a "harvester". Now I'm a "gardener"; harvesting in the Fall, "weeding" and "tilling" the garden in the Winter, Spring and Summer. I hunt all year, every week, every day I can.

I have committed myself to studying coyote and wolf behavior and tho we cannot hunt wolves, we can hunt coyotes, and the similarities are really quite fascinating. And coyotes are not the benefit the current worshippers of the Cult of the Predator think they are.

The disease is in the bloodstream now and if we are going to have any HARVESTING hunting opportunity we here are going to have to commit ourselves to the destruction by hard work, and it is hard work, of canids; coyotes now, wolves when we are able. It will require massive effort to gain little, but our nation and the ecoterrorists have spoken and we can quit or rise to the occaision. Coyotes will never be extirpated, and wolves neither, but if we want any game at all to hunt, we must WEED THE GARDEN.

No more "specators"; pasty couch-asses glued to basketball and baseball watching on Saturdays, Xbox and the like. We hunters are going to have to get out and HUNT; killing the competition, and at this point just adding a little competition to the field. Right now the field is all theirs.

Here is one I took last Sunday, a bitch. I am always thrilled when I kill a bitch this time of year {denning} and especially when they have that little paunch a'growin'. And it is a thrill. Matching wits with the coyote is a thrill equal to any big game hunting there is. Killing one isn't the thing; killing them constantly on their turf, learning there ways and habits and bringing hurt to their living room instead of merely finding the crumbs from their kitchen is the thing!

Find them, kill them.

--------------------

Freeloader123
.275 member

#178705 - 10/04/11 08:02 PM

Reggie, by asking "'yotes wising up?," I don't mean they're gaining in wisdom. I mean to ask if they're being emboldened by the lack of negative consequences for their increasing aggression.

I'd say the answer is yes.

What concerns me is that I no longer have to work hard to see these critters in daylight.

I completely agree that coyotes have only two interests. Eating and breeding. Which one of those interests do you think attracted the latest coyote I saw just inside one of the local parks, which was laying down calmy watching dozens of people recreating? I was amazed. None of the moms in the park realized that wasn't just a dog lying there.

I don't want to blow this out of proportion. I think there's been, what, two confirmed coyote fatalities ever. One kid in LA, one 19 year-old singer in Canada. I also don't meant to make light of those events.

There are many other children who will be scarred for life, who almost certainly would have been killed if an adult failed to intervene.

These incidents are entirely preventable. That's what bothers me about it.

Hobbit
.224 member

Reged: 25/07/08
Loc: Toledo, Ohio USA
      #178737 - 10/04/11 10:31 PM

Interesting thread guys. We have tons of yotes around here, as urban as north west Ohio is, it must be a slice of coyote heaven. My in laws had one in their front yard last week. I laugh at all the city folk that can't tell between a coyote and a stray dog.

That being said, our eastern ones are bigger than the ones out west. Not bragging or anything, just a guess why people think they are "just dogs." Till they eat the cat! A few guys hunt them outside of town, but they are a dying breed. I've only shot a couple, but no pelts worth having.

--------------------
I have a pair of Westley Richards....socks...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2689

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com