Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #182968 - 01/06/11 05:10 PM

Quote:

I've always looks at the TKO scale as a non-empirical way to compare the relative merits of two big game cartridges. If Cartridge A has a TKO of 20 and Cartridge B is 60, then B is better than A.

B is NOT three times better or three times as effective, just 'better', all else being equal, which it never is!

Cheers,
Bob

Nicely put Bob. When discussing Taylor's KO formula we should keep in mind his take on it. It purely represented his field experience on the knock out effect of bullets to elephant with head shots that missed the brain. Obviously any cartridge that got its bullet into the brain easily killed an elephant but Taylor was more interested in the safety factor of the stun effect of a shot close to the brain and the heavier and greater diameter the bullet the better this stun effect was in his experience.

He did not even think it relevant to reveal how he derived his formula as again it was just a reflection and some way of quantifying the stun effect of big bullets learned from his field experience, and vast that was.

To try and relate that to any other formula or to try and relate it to shooting other game never was Taylor's intention and it is pointless for us to do that today.
While many of us accept his KO formula for what it was and is, some seem to deride it as irrelevant. I guess if anyone today has had the experience Taylor had and shot as many animals as he did without accompanying PHs and modern equipment, then if they say his formula was B...S I suppose I would have to believe them. Anyone for starters?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 29306

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com