Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: No frills double.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Powdersmoke
.224 member

Reged: 08/02/11
Loc: Pine Town Natal South Africa
Re: No frills double. [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #175661 - 16/02/11 11:58 PM

Thanks for the good wishes guys! I never give up, and the only thing that matters is that my family is safe. It is great to be able to dream, and maybe (hopefully) this has happened, because there is something better waiting for me in the future, but until then ....... I'll just keep drooling over all the great pictures, and fantastic articles on this website!

Regards.

Powdersmoke.

--------------------
There can never be too much gun........

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: No frills double. [Re: Powdersmoke]
      #176300 - 28/02/11 06:00 AM

Without trying to rub salt in the wound....
Here's an example of what you can find if you keep your eyes peeled and or have a bunch of guys watching and trying to find something.

470 Chapuis, 20 rounds fired..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=218027176

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: No frills double. [Re: AkMike]
      #176301 - 28/02/11 06:12 AM

AkMike

Exactly. With all the eyes from this and AR, plus the 2 sales forums on these, I would be surprised if a good DR goes unseen.

I notice the seller of the Chapuis is also selling a
Heym 458 WM Double Rifle W. Germany Near Mint for $8600.

Edited by 500Nitro (28/02/11 06:17 AM)

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: No frills double. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #176302 - 28/02/11 06:38 AM

Quote:

AkMike

Exactly. With all the eyes from this and AR, plus the 2 sales forums on these, I would be surprised if a good DR goes unseen.

I notice the seller of the Chapuis is also selling a
Heym 458 WM Double Rifle W. Germany Near Mint for $8600.

That rifle can be easily rechambered to 450 3.25. Most cases don't even require re regulation.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

AkMike
.416 member

Re: No frills double. [Re: mickey]
      #176303 - 28/02/11 07:53 AM

There was a as new Merkel for sale here locally that languished until I spread the word here and at AR..

It was quickly snapped up.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

500Nitro
.450 member

#176304 - 28/02/11 07:58 AM

I sometimes wonder whether people looking for a DR actually do look hard or whether they wait for something to be handed to them on a plate.

Just my HO.

AkMike
.416 member

#176307 - 28/02/11 02:03 PM

Sometimes the best ones comes along when you're not looking.

Just be ready to grab it when it comes.

My first DR was like that. A beautiful little 500 Express damascus by John Lyell. I did some fast swapping and tading for the whole 'kit'. I've still got it!

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#176308 - 28/02/11 02:21 PM

My first as well. A Holland 500/450 Underlever Hammer - it's mentioned in Graham Wrights book as one ofthe best shooters he has ever had.

I managed to snare an Original 505 Gibbs at the same time.

And it all started with a phone call while I was interstate asking if I could help someone out in the shit (divorce, nasty wife) who needed to off load the gun for $$$$ in the hand. It was then I suggested I take both guns to which he agreed.

I think it was the best deal I ever made and totally unexpected.

Powdersmoke
.224 member

#176309 - 28/02/11 02:52 PM

I think that that will definitely be the case once I am back on track again. (financially) I have followed your advice, and been on the auction sites etc, that 470 is beautiful (from what I know about doubles, which is limited, and mostly what I have learned/read on this site) @ 500 nitro, I agree, a lot of guys like to have things handed to them on a plate, but I also think that guys who know nothing about doubles (like me! ) are also cautious about things that they don't know about. In my particular case, I have to let my hunting pay for my pleasure (ie. new guns)because it cannot come out of my normal/household budget. I only hunt 3 months a year (professionally) and work for someone else, so it takes time! I truly believe that when the time is right that I will buy a double on the recommendation of you fine gentlemen on this site, and it will probably be a double that one of you has recommended or found/seen elsewhere. There is NO substitute for experience, and there is clearly no shortage of that here!

Regards.

Powdersmoke.

--------------------

AkMike
.416 member

#176310 - 28/02/11 03:11 PM

Get everything put back together on the home front first then give a 'shout out' and we'll keep a look out for something good for you. I haven't played with the 470 in a Chapuis but the 375 and 9.3X74 Chapuis are very good shooters.

--------------------

Powdersmoke
.224 member

#176358 - 28/02/11 11:57 PM

Thanks Mike, will do, I will be here every day reading and learning.......

Regards.

Powdersmoke.

--------------------

GroovyMike
.300 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: NY
      #186059 - 18/07/11 10:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I took a different route, found an old double that needed work and am having it rebuilt. I expect to have a working gun for about $2,000.

I just don't have $5,000 to put into a single rifle, so there really isn't any other option for me.

Buddy, that is the route that I would love to go, but buying a second hand double here in South Africa......... no such thing! I would love to buy one elsewhere, but how do I check to see if it is at least shootable? Tough one, working gun for $2000-00 that is the way to go, well done!

My pricing point is about $4-4500, I would prefer to have a side by side, and I am not familiar with a 450-400, I need to do my homework a bit! Still in the starting phase of this project, but you guys are doing all the work for me, thanks for your straight, honest answers, it really helps.

Regards.

Powdersmoke.

Just an update to let you know that it IS possible - I picked up my repaired double 500 EX from the gunsmith and ran some test loads with cast bullets through her last week just to test functioning. It is nice to have the old girl going bang again A range report will follow as I develop loads

--------------------
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: No frills double. [Re: GroovyMike]
      #186067 - 19/07/11 02:34 AM

Mike-

I'm excited for you on the .500!
Get some photos up for us to see where you've come with the rifle. Show us your targets and your ammo!

Powdersmoke-

Keep your chin up, and know you're on the right track. Family definitely comes before vanity, and you never know what's coming around the corner. Perhaps the next big surprise will be a double rifle that you can afford!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

GroovyMike
.300 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: NY
Re: No frills double. [Re: tinker]
      #197990 - 29/12/11 12:46 AM

I'll have to take some pics and post them. The old double is fully functional, but the only load I can seem to get to print tight groups is using 50 caliber power belt jacketed muzzle loading bullets. At $1.50 per projectile that's a mite pricey for my budget. I am tempted to try a black powder load with the cast bullet. The double cloud of sulfer smoke would be fun

--------------------
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: No frills double. [Re: GroovyMike]
      #197993 - 29/12/11 02:33 AM

Mike-

What are the bore and groove measurements of your barrels?
What is the rifling profile configuration?
Have you cast the chambers?
What primer/brass/powder are you using?
What are you using as wadding?

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

LGF
.275 member

Reged: 27/04/05
Loc: Kenya/Berkeley, CA
Re: No frills double. [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #198659 - 04/01/12 11:07 AM

Powdersmoke -

very sorry to hear of the car smash, but when you are back in the no frills DR hunt, you might consider Butch Searcy here in California. He makes a very accurate and reliable basic working double for $10,500, but they are often found second hand and barely used in the US.

I would stay away from the Krieghoff; unless you have one helluva a strong thumb, the cocking safety is far too stiff to use in a sudden emergency situation.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19397

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com