Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A(nother) Hunt with AFRO

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
A(nother) Hunt with AFRO
      #175221 - 10/02/11 02:40 PM

Sometimes the simplest trips turn out to be the most enjoyable. I enjoy my overseas hunting but getting back to my roots is just as enjoyable. After a long stint away from camping in the Aussie bush, I recently had the pleasure of a night away from distractions and the company of a good friend and an afternoon hunting.

Once a year AFRO408 and I go for a camp and hunt. This is usually in the first quarter of the year. AFRO408 has built me a number of custom rifles and also rifles for other forum members.

I've been able to do some shooting for dog tucker and feral animal control over the last 9 months but have not had time to relax and 'get away from it all'.

We arrived at the RV on time and set up camp. Now AFRO is very particular about the way things are done (this is reflected in his gunsmithing) and after we had set up camp to his satisfaction it was off for a drive around the property.

Camp AFRO. The mobile Taj Mahal to the right of the tree was AFRO's sleeping quarters.

After testing my Rodeo twin cab's off road capabilities in the remote back blocks we located a local 'mob' of goats and dismounted for a short stalk. AFRO was after a young goat to eat and soon had a young one in his sights. His 6mmMyra (6/222)on a Brno action soon accounted for the youngster with the 75grain Hornady HP nearly decapitating the goat.

I was after dog tucker and two nicely coloured young billys filled the order. Leaving AFRO to gut and prep his goat I headed off around the rocky hill to get above the 'mob'. My 7x57 was loaded with Sierra 140 SptBt's and I was keen to test it (again) before a Red Deer trip in NZ next April. From the same vantage point I was able to drop both billys with shoulder shots. The reaction from both goats was the same. Two to three steps and then collapsing on the spot with bright pink frothy lung blood showing at the exit site. The Sierra 140's were expanding and exiting perfectly.

Goat 1.

The plant in front of the goat is not a 'cash crop' but a local weed called 'farmers friend'.

Goat 2

We had a very subdued night around the open fire without the normal quantity of Rum being consumed. We must be getting old. We were up at 5am and out to scope for more goats.

AFRO testing his new Hakko 10x42 binos just after dawn.

After retrieving my dog tucker from the two billys shot the previous evening, we had a good feed of bacon and eggs, struck camp and headed off in our seperate directions towards home.

My two Jack Russells enjoyed the change of diet and many thx to AFRO for another great hunt.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: A(nother) Hunt with AFRO [Re: tophet1]
      #175222 - 10/02/11 02:48 PM

A "farmer's friend" no doubt!

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #175225 - 10/02/11 03:16 PM

Nice work. Looks like a fair amount of ground cover, grass and weeds etc.
I'm guessing after all the rains that there would be a fair bit of thistle about.
Any tiger pear in that country?
Thanks for the photos and story.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: A(nother) Hunt with AFRO [Re: kamilaroi]
      #175230 - 10/02/11 04:12 PM

Quote:

How many "Fairies" were seen in the early Dawn......

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: A(nother) Hunt with AFRO [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #175242 - 10/02/11 05:22 PM

Congratulations on a good hunt!

tophet1
.400 member

#175245 - 10/02/11 06:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How many "Fairies" were seen in the early Dawn......

Lol. No fairies in our camp sunshine. The whole of the New England in NSW is very green at the moment which will make for a lot of bushfire fuel later. We drove through some patches of thistle that reached to the roof of my twin cab.

I was up around Emmaville two weeks ago and the feed there was very rich. Good nutrition for the rut .

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#175248 - 10/02/11 06:16 PM

Hi Tophet1,

Emmaville, wasn't that the place that had the "Emmaville Tiger" a lot of years back.?? As for the "Fairies" I didn't mean the one's with limp wrists..... LOL

Cheers Mate,

Jeff

tophet1
.400 member

#175250 - 10/02/11 06:20 PM

That would be the Emmaville Panther. Related to the Coolatai Panther. I have a mate who farms north of me and swears blind he has seen one drinking from a leaking tap at the back of his house. 'They migrate south to Tamworth and back each year'. Yeah right.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#175264 - 10/02/11 09:15 PM

Hi Tophet1,

A lot of people have had this type of experience, maybe one day one of our hunters will shoot one and put the tale to rest.

Cheers Mate,

Jeff

AFRO408
.333 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Arding NSW
      #175304 - 11/02/11 07:18 AM

Good morning Gents,

I'll add my bit now.

It was a most enjoyable break away and tophet didn't seem to mind when I got us lost a couple of times. This is only the second time I've hunted in this beautiful spot and don't know the tracks all that well yet. Anyway I had a good excuse, the bloody Scotsmans revenge was as thick as the hairs on a cats back!

I'm looking forward to sampling some of this lovely tender meat. It's all in the freezer now.
Some of the goats up there have beautifully coloured coats, so I must get a couple of skins next time.

Cheers
Afro

--------------------
Flinch ? Wot flinch ? Gunsmithing is my PASSION.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A(nother) Hunt with AFRO [Re: AFRO408]
      #175313 - 11/02/11 10:26 AM

Good little story. It is so green there. My old goat hunting areas in the Flinders were always dry red dirt and lots of rocks. I'm thinking those goats would be in good condition with all that feed.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3368

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com