Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ivory Grips

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Tallchief
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/09
Loc: Colorado,USA
Ivory Grips
      #175084 - 08/02/11 10:45 AM

I bought a very nice uberti replica of the 7inch colt single action,I believe 1873. Does anyone know if the real Ivory grips for the colt will fit my pistol?
Thanks, TC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Ivory Grips [Re: Tallchief]
      #175086 - 08/02/11 11:53 AM

Contact Tony Rist at 1165 W. Winnie Lane, Dept CH, Carson City, NV 89703; 775-883-5952

Here's a little writeup on him from another website.

Tony took over the operation of Dave Wayland years ago when Dave passed away. Dave and my dad were great friends, 20 or so years ago he gave me a pair of roughed out blanks from a tusk he had in the shop. I was to hold on to them while they got comfortable with their new shape, and think of what design I wanted for my 1911.
While I ruminated, Dave passed on. I'd been tipped by someone that Tony got his tooling, materials, and contracts - and when I called him he arranged with me to take the ivory stock and set me up with a set of grip stocks.
I've had the grips he made for me for about three years now, and I'm perfectly happy with them.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Tallchief
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/09
Loc: Colorado,USA
Re: Ivory Grips [Re: tinker]
      #175121 - 09/02/11 01:45 AM

Thanks tinker for the refereance, I'll give him a call
TC

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
Re: Ivory Grips [Re: Tallchief]
      #177708 - 26/03/11 09:35 AM

The grip fit for Colt SAA's has changed greatly over the years. The first generations Colts are quite close in workmanship. The second generation Colts have three major grip variations. The third generation Colts all have to be individually fit as their grip tolerances are all over the place. The safest way to install exotic grips is to gets an oversized set and hand fit. 1911 grips are much more forgiving. All grips fit except for the Chinese Norinco and the llama which is a 1911 lookabitalike but not a true 1911.

I make exotic grips for 1911's out of ultra fancy woods, ivory, mother of pearl, jade, mammouth ivory and teeth, dinosaur bone (rough for 3 sets of Tyrannosaurus Rex available), petrified wood, and other exotics.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3328

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com