Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Not exactly a Lee Speed, but.....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Not exactly a Lee Speed, but.....
      #174217 - 27/01/11 09:53 AM

This is the somewhat rare civilian version of the Winchester Lee Straight Pull Rifle, caliber 6mm Lee Navy (.236 USN) approximately 1700 manufactured between 1897-1902. The U.S, Marine Corps was armed with the musket version of this rifle during the Spanish-American War and the Boxer Rebellion. It was superceded by the 1903 Springfield.

It is loaded with a special en bloc clip, which dropped out through the bottom of the single stack magazine when the last round was fired. The cartridge fired a 112 grain bullet at 2560 feet per second. Sporting ammunition was available until 1935.

The .220 Swift made use of a shortened and necked down version of this case.

Edited by CptCurl (27/01/11 11:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Not exactly a Lee Speed, but..... [Re: xausa]
      #174262 - 27/01/11 08:38 PM

Got anymore info ?.
Is it rear locking ?.Sort of a striaght pull ?.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Not exactly a Lee Speed, but..... [Re: FATBOY404]
      #174268 - 27/01/11 10:04 PM

The Lee Navy is indeed a straight pull actioned rifle, which locks at the rear. The bolt handle pivots down to force the rear of the bolt into a recess in the receiver, much like the Model 99 Savage system. Pulling the bolt handle to the rear pivots the handle up, which in turn brings the rear of the bolt upwards and disengages it from the receiver.

It is evidently a very strong action, since I am told that Winchester kept one permanently set up to test .220 Swift ammunition.

There was a story in circulation on the web about a Lee Navy blowing up and killing the shooter. A witness said that among the debris on the bench rest was a fired cartridge case which showed indications of great pressure. Evidently this warning was not enough to prevent the shooter from continuing to fire.

I suspect that the cause was insufficient neck clearance. The shooter was almost certainly using formed cases, since original Lee Navy cases are collector's items. Failure to allow for enough neck clearance to release the bullet can cause the powder charge to detonate, and no conventional action is strong enough to hold up under the force of a detonation. Mistakenly firing 8X57JS cartridges in Springfield rifles after World War I was the cause of a number of blow ups of this nature.

I believe the main problem with the cartridge was barrel life. The smokeless powders of the day were extremely erosive and the barrels could simply not hold up under exposure to this kind of treatment. Metal fouling must have played an important role also. The rifle was adopted at the dawn of the metal jacketed bullet era, and quite a bit of experience and experimentation was needed to arrive at the proper material for bullet jackets. The .30-'06 was notoriously bad in this respect, and years went by before the problem was solved.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3031

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com