Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Walter Lothar barrels - help needed

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Walter Lothar barrels - help needed
      #173053 - 14/12/10 01:41 AM

I have an early Type B sporter in 9.3x62 which needs to be rebarreled. I'd like to keep the look original and, based on what I have read, it seems Walter Lothar makes the best barrels. However, I called the company and they could not immediately tell me whether they could match the barrel. They suggested I look at the contours here: http://www.lothar-walther.com/268.php

The rifle is a standard Type B with round barrel, rear tangent sight, ramp front. If anyone has any thoughts on the right contour, I'd be grateful.

I'd prefer not to rebarrel the rifle, but since it keyholes shots at 25 yards, I don't have a choice.

many thanks
McKinney

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sirrocco
.275 member

Reged: 10/12/06
Loc: New Zealand, Italy
Re: Walter Lothar barrels - help needed [Re: mckinney]
      #173055 - 14/12/10 02:20 AM

As far as I am aware Walther make a model A contour copy that I have read is supposed to be a copy of the 404 or the 10.75 x 68 tube dimensions. I rebarreled a small ring mauser, brno 21 with one and it is an excellent weight for a 9.3x62. But this doesn't help you make your decision....

Surely your safest way forward is to find a U.S manufacturer that makes 9.3 tubes and have them copy your contour. I know Lilja do a 9.3mm x 12" twist-(perfect) and will make any contour you want for $35.00. I would ring Lilja and see if you can send him your existing tube and have him measure it up and load the dimensions into his CNC lathe, copy it exactly and be happy. I dont think you will find an easier way forward. If you want a cut rifle barrel Dan Petersen might be worth a try. He has a copy lathe that can copy the contour of your barrel via a stylus. Either of these ideas should get you what you need. I would not do the Walther option as there will be no guarantees as to what you get dimensionally.

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
      #173085 - 14/12/10 12:39 PM

If you want an exact duplicate of the contour you may consider a barrel maker that offers the service.

Pac Nor Barrrels of Brookings, OR, offers a 9.3 barrel with 12 inch twist. Pac Nor will also install the barrel for you and chamber it. They will need the old barrel in order to duplicate the contour.

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
      #173087 - 14/12/10 12:53 PM

Quote:

I have an early Type B sporter in 9.3x62 which needs to be rebarreled. I'd like to keep the look original and, based on what I have read, it seems Walter Lothar makes the best barrels. However, I called the company and they could not immediately tell me whether they could match the barrel. They suggested I look at the contours here: http://www.lothar-walther.com/268.php

The rifle is a standard Type B with round barrel, rear tangent sight, ramp front. If anyone has any thoughts on the right contour, I'd be grateful.

I'd prefer not to rebarrel the rifle, but since it keyholes shots at 25 yards, I don't have a choice.

many thanks
McKinney

I am curious, do you have an idea of the keyhole cause? What bullet are you shooting, what is the barrel twist, is the rifling damaged from corrosion? What Velocity are you shooting the bullets? Is the crown damaged?

I had an original FN action 270 Weatherby several years ago. It shot the 130 grain bullets fine, but 150 grain bullets would keyhole. I measured the twist at 14 inches. Put a 10 inch twist barrel on the action and the 150 grain bullets shot great.

A friend's 270 Winchester also had keyhole problems. He lived in Alaska and carried the rifle muzzle up on a sling. 20 years of the Coastal Alaska rain and salt atmosphere had rusted the rifling out for about 3 inches at the muzzle.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Walter Lothar barrels - help needed [Re: Altamaha]
      #173113 - 14/12/10 09:40 PM

If you want to keep the original barrel, another option might be to re-bore the rifle to .375 (along the lines of a .375-06)...

mckinney
.400 member

#173128 - 15/12/10 01:54 AM

Thanks for your comments - interesting thoughts.

I was using Prvi Partizan factory ammo with the 285 grain bullets. The barrel twist is 1 in 12. The rifle dates from 1914 and the bore is dark in the grooves even after repeated cleaning with Kroil, patches, etc. until the patches now come out clean. I cannot tell visually whether the bore is washed out, but based on the appearance of the rifle (well used) and the shooting results, I think it probably is. The rifle came out of Africa where it apparently led a long and hard life.

Based on the other replies I have had, I have decided to send the rifle to G&H for refurbishing and rebarreling. They will refinish the stock, recut the chekering, replace the butt plate, rebarrel to original contour and twist, reuse the original sights, recut the original barrel markings, and rust blue the whole.

I love the look and feel of these old Oberndorf sporters and hate to let one of them die.

I haven't sent the gun to G&H yet so if there are any words of warning or other advice, would love to hear it.

Thanks to all for your replies.

McKinney

sirrocco
.275 member

Reged: 10/12/06
Loc: New Zealand, Italy
      #173150 - 15/12/10 08:17 AM

Sounds like a great way forward. I havent used G&H before but I would be inclined to get a price from them first, (if it is relevant). Just in case it is a little more than expected or is justifiable.

mckinney
.400 member

#173154 - 15/12/10 10:07 AM

Well - I spoke too soon about the twist. The underside of the barrel shows one twist in 360 mm, which works out to 14.17 inches. Could that twist rate possibly cause keyholing with the Prvi Partizan 285 grain bullets?

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
      #173175 - 15/12/10 10:30 PM

Hello McKinney,

barrel twist: maybe the reason, but I regard the Partisan bullets not as first quality.
I had no good results with Partisan bullets in a 7x57 and will not use these again.

A cheap and precise bullet would be the Speer 270grs SP for testing the accuracy of your barrel.
For hunting maybe the new Hornady 286grs SP?

Only for information:
Once I ordered a Lothar Walther barrel in 7x57 with the "special match treating".
That rifle was very precise with the varmint bullets and the 140grs (5 shots /100 meters/ sometimes below 15 mm when I had a good moment...) and 150grs Nosler Ballistic Tip.
The barrel held its precision for about 4000 shots, then went worse.

I can recommend the match treatment, even if it is more expensive.

best regards
Rolf

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #173177 - 15/12/10 11:35 PM

Quote:

Well - I spoke too soon about the twist. The underside of the barrel shows one twist in 360 mm, which works out to 14.17 inches. Could that twist rate possibly cause keyholing with the Prvi Partizan 285 grain bullets?

I had a brand new Lothar Walther #722 barrel in 9.3x62 fitted to a Mauser action. Twist is 1 in 14.2" and I can stabilise all weights from 232 grain Norma to 320 grain Woodleighs. This includes the 285 RNSP Privi Partisan which is as accurate as any other projectile in my rifle.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/270.php

Is the barrel crown in good condition ? and are you getting good velocity from your ammunition ?

mckinney
.400 member

Re: Walter Lothar barrels - help needed [Re: tophet1]
      #173213 - 16/12/10 12:27 PM

Thanks very much, that is very useful. The more reading I do, the more convinced I am that it is not the Prvi Partizan ammo or the barrel twist, which is correct for the 9.3 - it is just a badly shot out barrel. I will go ahead with the G&H refurbishing plan and put up some before and after photos when the work is finished (probably 6 months to a year).

Thanks to all for your comments, much appreciated.

LongIsland
.224 member

Reged: 09/02/09
Loc: New York, U.S.A.
      #173224 - 16/12/10 04:58 PM

There is also New England Custom Gun, the owner Mr Appel is involved with the German Gun Collection Association, might have a second point of view.
Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7633

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com