Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia"
      #1724 - 09/03/03 10:08 PM

Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" by telling us a deer or buck hunting story

Tell us a short story about a deer hunting experience or a buck hunting experience you have had in the past or even better had this year or in the upcoming season.

The prize is a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" by Mike Harrison and published by the Australian Deer Research Foundation Ltd.

The booklet has chapters on:
  • Antlers

Species
  • Sambar
  • Rusa
  • Chital
  • Hog deer
  • Red deer
  • Fallow deer

Each chapter has a description of the deer, a brief history, breeding and reproduction notes, behaviour and present situation for many chapters.

Plus
  • Deer management
  • Hunters and hunting

A good basic booklet, I bought several a few years ago to donate to school and public libraries.

If you hunt deer in Australia, interesting little resource. If you plan oneday to come to Australa and hunt deer, not a bad little booklet as well. Some very nice photos of deer included.

The competition can run for a few months so we can see what our members come up with this autumn (Southern hemisphere) or hunted over Winter (Northern hemisphere).

Photos displayed are a big plus.

Post your stories in this thread.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
That First Buck! [Re: NitroX]
      #1725 - 21/02/03 05:03 AM

Ok, I'm not shy and I will go first! I love books and someday I'd love to come visit Oz for a collection of the fine deer you have there.

The following story happened this past November in the great State of Michigan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One never forgets their first deer, I have not, but your first buck is always the best. After six years of hunting whitetail deer I've finally taken a buck. I had set a personal goal of no fork and no spike bucks so a lot got passed up over the years.

This was one incredible hunt. I hunt a 45-acre section of dense woods I lease about six miles north of my house. This is my first year on this property, which is owned by a very gracious senior citizen and her ex-husband. They are quite an interesting couple, claiming they do best divorced but are best friends! The woods is a deciduous mix of soft maple, elm and some small white oak with underbrush of cloning dogwood. There are some excellent bedding areas for the does and a huge cornfield off one side of the boundary. I share the property lease with my local archery shop owner who is also the man I wish was my father growing up.

We have several tree stands and a couple ground blinds situated on the property with none near the bedding areas. In mid-October the scrape activity was peaking and this was creating some excellent daydreams of nailing a buck. I’ve never hunted a property with so much deer sign. In time I was seeing bucks. I spotted a shy spike, a very pretty three point, a possible six point and my hunting partner let an arrow fly over the back of a ten point. He also had seen a tineless racked buck making scrapes one day. Does, well, there were dozens of them. I deliberately let them go, this year seriously hoping for a magical buck.

October came and went. One early November afternoon I was sitting in my stand thinking very negatively how I had always bagged a deer by now. Always does. It was also a fairly quiet afternoon with a little cool breeze tinkling through the remaining colorful leaves on the trees.

Deep in thought, I first heard a deer about 80 yards behind me. He wandered about browsing and moving out over to my right side. Right away I could see a rack, he was sporting six points. Definitely a shooter buck for me, the first one I’ve ever seen out hunting! I didn't think he was going to come my way as he swung further off to the north, still browsing. I watched with anticipation and sadness thinking again, just another pretty view. Then, reason unknown, he made a complete turn around about 50 yards out and the buck approached me head on. He offered me a chance to draw my bow as he passed behind some elms about 30 yards out. I was shaking; thinking my time has finally come. Ready and waiting, he continued to come straight to me. I drew my bow silently as he passed behind the trees.

No!!!! He stopped a little over 20 yards out and then looked right up at me still facing me head on. There were a lot of branches hanging down but he was framed in a perfect hole. Not the shot I wanted but I quickly calculated the distance and at the same micro-second-turned-hour, checked to make sure my sleeve was out of the way, I was looking through my peep, was bent at the waist, my pin was locked on target and my anchor was set. Whew, all in a fraction of a second!

As soon as the buck saw me his eyes got very big and I knew I had to let the arrow go. This was a now or never scenario and I didn’t have to think twice. I said to myself, “This one is mine”, and the arrow flew. My arrow hit him nearly in the spot I aimed. As the arrow launched, the buck started a spin to get away. He was no match for that arrow and my determination. The arrow struck him just to the off center of his chest/lower neck area, cutting the two major blood vessels.

I can still picture him as the arrow hit its mark and as he turned with it sticking out the front of his chest. I knew he was going down.

In three seconds it was over. I could hear him fall due north. It turns out that arrow penetration was all the way to the heart. I had an easy to track deer. The buck was only 60 yards away. The actual shot was 22 yards lasered. My rubbery legs quickly found their way down the ladder after sending my gear down. I had no need to wait, I knew I had my deer.

I shoot a Parker Ultra Lite Pro set at 60 pounds, Muzzy 100 grain broadheads and Easton Redline arrows. I've taken this bow all over the world and THIS is my most sought after trophy!

Definitely the right place and the right time, my first buck was in the bag!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" [Re: NitroX]
      #1726 - 21/02/03 05:10 PM

A sambar stag that i took one Saturday afternoon while hunting over hounds is indelibly stamped on my mind.
Four of us hunters had taken the hounds on leads up a steep spur to where we had found a stags marks in the wet ground,it had rained during the night and was steadily drizzling while we climbed back up to the marks.The hounds had a little trouble with the rain washed slots but were soon on the job and voicing steadily until we lost them totally.I stayed back in the saddle where i thought the stag may double back to evade his pursuers but after a miserable wait of four hours i broke radio silence and spoke to George the team leader.
On telling him i had heard no hounds since slipping them and that i was coming out of the bush as i was wringing wet,cold and hungry he asked me to stay a little longer.
Well i said to myself that i should climb higher to maybe hear where the hounds were,so off up the spur i headed which became steeper and steeper with me at one stage shouldering my 7mm mag and climbing with two hands until i was really buggered and pulled up amongst some jagged rocks on the spur.
After a brief rest and no hound voicing to be heard i started to continue up the spur in the steady drizzle all the time wondering what the bloody hell i was doing up so high--at the same time telling myself that you shoot big stags up high so keep going.I then could hear a steady faint noise behind me which after being so tired from the climb and not bothering to turn around i told myself was the drizzling rain forming on a long gum leaf and dripping off and falling into a piece of rolled up bark with water in it,dit dit dit dit and being fairly jaded i took some time to realise that the noise was moving so i slowly turned around while silently shouldering my rifle in the one movement,i was about ten-twelve metres above the rock bar i had climbed through and with the spur being very steep the rock bar was very jagged and looked like the spine of a stegosaurus and bugger me crossing the spur just below the rock bar was a thumping big bodied sambar stag with his head laid right back with his nose up showing what looked like a mass of too many white points which stood out in the dull gloom.It is amazing what you can see when you are switched on and by this time my whole body was buzzing,i could even see the white and his huge brown eye in the rear corner of his eye socket watching me for a reaction.This stag was right on the point of leaving in a stretched elastic bound and i had to steady myself mentally in only the few milliseconds left to take a shot,

but i could only see the top 12 inches of his shoulder momentarily between the rocks as he crossed the spur and getting a bead on him through the rock gaps was quite difficult and he only had a few metres to the edge and certain freedom when after all this time i was talking and calming myself to not hit a rock i squeezed off with the immediate reaction of the stag launching himself four feet straight up and then gone .....straight over the edge and into a deep gully.
I turned my radio on and imformed George that it was me that had fired the shot and it was a big stag and if not dead he was heading down to the river.All this time i still hadnt heard a hound as the stag was well in front of them.
I had an imaginary smoke and then started on his marks going down the very steep mountain side marvelling at his great weight and how his huge feet had cut into the soft ground when i came apon long streaks of snotty lung blood which cheered me no end and then followed up some more and found him dead against a tree about 140 metres from the shot.Breathing a huge sigh of relief on turning his head over and seeing that all six tines were intact i calmed down...a little only as believe me the whole episode was exciting and the thought was in my mind that he may make it to the river and one of the other boys might nail him.
Being down inside the thickly bushed gully and not having radio contact i started the climb back to the spur when i saw a hind sneaking through the bush and not having too many in our tally that year i took her as well for another one shot kill. The hounds finally came through and i tied them up and waited for the crew to find me,they had no idea i was so bloody high and kept radioing to find me,eventually they got up to me with the help of a few cooee`s and we took our pic`s and cut the two deer up and had a very tough carry out from the cloudy top of Mount T.

I had taken other sambar stags before this hunt but this stag meant a lot to me with his sneaking behind me and over the top of my fresh scent filled bootmarks knowing that i was right there and he had to get past me. Having this big stag up so close and on the tips of his toes ready to explode into escape mode was an extremely invigorating experience.
We had found the stags marks at about daybreak and started the hounds on them at around 8am and i shot him about 2 pm and we all finally got off the side of the mount after 4pm a very wet cold tired and happy bunch of hound hunters.
Make no bones about it if you think that taking sambar stags over hounds is an easy way to get them,well its not,to the dedicated dogman doing it legally it can be a very tough way of obtaining a trophy deer and for my years stalking and dogging i have taken more stags by the stalk method which i do only now but i still have a soft spot for a pack of hounds up high in the Vic Alpine country voicing on a sambar stag.I do have some pic`s of course but with Hunting-pictures .com going bust i can only ask Nitro to post one for me,note the scars on his shoulder where he had done batttle with another big fella.

(Photos added for Gryphon by NitroX)

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Edited by NitroX (23/02/03 02:09 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" [Re: gryphon]
      #1738 - 23/02/03 02:12 AM

Ann and Gryphon

Great stories and nice pics.

Hey fellas,

Stories can be on deer or buck - antelope. Or anything similar.

I've just been scanning some pics of a fallow deer hunt from a few years ago. Coming soon.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

cchunter
.375 member

Loc: Kinna, Sweden
      #1739 - 23/02/03 11:48 AM

Since English is not my first language I must have some time thinking out the story a good way but it's comming.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" [Re: cchunter]
      #1747 - 24/02/03 01:01 PM

"Ok, I'm not shy and I will go first! I love books and someday I'd love to come visit Oz for a collection of the fine deer you have there." Aspenhill come on down,but i must warn you that "a collection" is not to easy to come by,but i`m sure we could help you out.Great story from you as well.
CChunter i do wish i could write your language as well as you do our English language.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#1763 - 25/02/03 04:05 PM

OK here is a story on hunting a fallow stag.

Not in the running for the prize of course but my contribution.

(Also listed on the Ezine forum)

"Murder, Bloody Murder" - a fallow stag hunt

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

#1771 - 26/02/03 06:40 AM

Ok you may not be in the running but with the pro mag layout etc YOU WIN i give up.Nice story. Hey Nitro is the split palm a characteristic of that herd or was it a oncer.

--------------------

cchunter
.375 member

Loc: Kinna, Sweden
      #1772 - 26/02/03 07:59 AM

In reply to:

CChunter i do wish i could write your language as well as you do our English language.

Thanks Gryphon

--------------------

Christer Hansson

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#1773 - 26/02/03 02:43 PM

Gryph

No don't give up! I would trade several of these little boys for one of your fantastic sambar stag trophies. A lot of hunters hunt a lifetime without scoring a stag as good as some of those. But thanks for the nice comments.

My story - at first I was going to put it straight into the forum as a post - then cut and pasted it out as I realised I had too pany photos I wanted to use.

The stag only scored about 170 Douglas Score points though he would have been higher had the left antler not had the rear half of the palm snapped off, probably due to fighting. I didn't see this until after he was shot. Hindsight - should have waited longer and checked better - but the venison still tasted good.

At first I was reasonably happy with this stag and to tell you the truth thought I had shot the one I saw all along. But with hindsight I thought it over and remembered how wide and magnicient the first look of the stag was and realised I had shot a different one. I didn't think the area had any really good heads until two weeks after my hunt when another member - much more experienced than I - shot a 220 DS stag. The one I saw with hindsight may have been at least in the 200 DS range but I didn't see him for long. In my opinion a true trophy starts around 200 DS, but as said I have this boy hanging on the wall as I still have to take a really nice fallow trophy myself. Could arrange a game farm hunt but prefer looking for a free range animal. I don't know his age but his neck has quite a few scars so he has been through a few ruts.

These stags have good feed inaddition to the pasture they raid the local market gardens. They actually live very near quite a built up area and I believe they get hammered by the local Italians and Greeks.

I will try to take some photos of his antlers if I can - with vintage I am pretty busy at the moment. In the picture the better antler is facing the camera (obviously).

A lot of the stags in that area do have cleft palms as do one or two other SA herds. When it was still legal releases of high quality breeding stags would have improved a lot. Plus some animals have escaped from farms over time - fences broken down by trees, deer ripping off the wire fighting with wild stags outside etc.

Even in my captive herd on my farm - there is a mixture of cleft palms and full palmed stags. Though none have shown really good palms yet - the breeding stag is five years old and is an OK head - I have four three year olds from him and two are looking pretty good. The other two will get culled this year for venison or be sold off live.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

#1774 - 26/02/03 04:57 PM

Nitro now is the perfect time to cull the bucks for meat,you cant get any better than bucks shot in velvet or just out.

--------------------

deadeye
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/03
Loc: Idaho,,,,U.S.A.
      #1950 - 09/03/03 12:53 PM

Very good stories gentlemen! I have enjoyed them immensely (especially the ones where hounds were used, my passion).

It has been several years (probably bout 5) since the VERN AND THE BB GUN HUNT so I am getting my facts straight and gathering pictures up for the story..

Be there soon..If I can figure out how to paste the pictures on this type forum.

--------------------
DEADEYE

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" [Re: deadeye]
      #1954 - 09/03/03 10:08 PM

Deadeye

To post photos on the forums you need to have access to web space somewhere or use one of the free photo hosting sites.

NitroExpress.com will sooner or later be introducing a photo forum where you can do just that.

In the meantime I am perfectly happy to assist you in getting the photos on your story. If you want you can email them to me and I will insert them into your story for you - perhaps put a reference in the story where you want them.

Looking forward to your story.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#2377 - 14/04/03 11:58 PM

Just bringing this thread back to the top.

A couple of excellent entries, but the competition is still running so post your story and have a chance to win the book.

Will probably close off this contest in the next month or so, giving the other rut hunters a chance, or early Spirng if in the Northern Hemisphere.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AspenHill
Sponsor

#2452 - 22/04/03 02:48 AM

I don't have any more recent deer hunts. Only got one last year!

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroExpressComAdministrator
.275 member

Reged: 24/12/02
Loc: NitroExpress.com
Win a booklet - competition closing June 2, 2003 [Re: AspenHill]
      #2944 - 25/05/03 02:50 AM

OK this competition will be wrapped up on the 2nd of June. Two excellent stories received, so if you want to be in the running please post your story.

Competition closing June 2, 2003

--------------------

NitroExpress.com

Brooks
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Nebraska
      #3153 - 03/06/03 01:02 PM

This is story mostly about my wife's first deer. A fallow deer taken in New Zealand. I got talked into a Red Stag hunt in New Zealand by a friend of mind for 30 years. He recommended Shane Qinn Alpine Adventures. I told him I wanted a free range hunt but, he replied it wasn't but the area was so rugged you felt you were hunting Red stag in a remote wilderness. Well after a five mile drive on this two track back into the bush where Shane has his home, you felt the hunt was going to be a free range hunt. We were in the mountains of the North of Island and boy were they were rugged. I saw many stags during the hunt. But, I wanted to hunt on foot and I wanted a heavy beamed animal. After three days of walking, stalking, climbing, falling down. I finally found the stag, I had of always dreamed of getting. My wife went with me while I hunted, she wanted to see what it was like. She had never hunted big game before and Shane talked her into hunting since we had four more days there at his place. I should mention, my wife had never fired a large caliber rifle before. Shane lent us his Steyr-Manlicher pro hunter .308 for her to use. She fired two shots at a target, bulls eye both times. She opted to hunt Fallow deer. She was kind of worn out by now by all the climbing so we took a four wheeler to the top of the mountain using game trails. In the process, the four wheeler hit a slick spot and rolled over on top of us. Luckly no one was hurt. We hunted downhill from there, we did this for three days, after glassing the three days and never getting closer than several hundred yards. If it could go wrong it went wrong. That last afternoon there,my wife said something is going to die today. Well about an two hours before dark, we spotted this beautiful Fallow Buck. It was big and wide. Because it was in the wide open, we had to detour around back of mountain and back up a valley. We got within about two hundred yards of the Fallow buck but two red stags were in front of it. The guide says there it is. My wife settled in laying down prone with a knap sack for a rest. The guide says please don't shoot the stag. The two stags were in front of the Fallow almost blocking the shot. My wife waited it seemed like ages before the Red stags moved out of the way for a clear shot. My wife had to make a head on shot because it was getting close to dark and few more minutes she would not be able to see, the light was going fast. She made incredible downhill shot hitting the animal right in the V of the neck, dropping it right there. The main beams on this animal were 30 inches long. There was no ground strinkage on this animal. I do not know if this was a fallow deer or not but my wife or I did not care. My wife was so excited, it was unbelievable. She later said, she now understood why I love to hunt. It was not the kill but everything that led up to it. The beautiful countryside, the people you meet, she could not stop talking about even when we got back to the states.

Brooks

--------------------
Brooks

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" [Re: Brooks]
      #3168 - 03/06/03 11:07 PM

Brooks, that's a nice story. Sounds like a wonderful hunt over all.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" [Re: AspenHill]
      #3291 - 11/06/03 12:12 AM

OK Decisions, Decisions. I have been putting this off for a while as I knew it would be a hard decision.

Excellent entries by AspenHill on her first bow hunted whitetail buck.

A very enjoyable account of a hound hunt after sambar deer in the Victorian Highlands by Gryphon. And two deer scored as well.

A red stag and fallow hunt in NZ by Brooks. Just made it in before the deadline - well it was a flexible deadline anyaway. Brooks my first deer was a red stag in North Island. One of my favourite trophies - even more so than any of the African heads. Brooks - you have to send in some photos of the hunt! Just for our enjoyment (but only if you have access to scanned photos).

Decisions

Well as the booklets are farily cheap I have decided to send one to each participant . Starting with the order of them being posted as I have only two on hand but will pick up one or two more.

(PS Brooks - please send me your address - will email as well).

Thanks for the stories and hope everyone enjoyed them.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6173

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com