Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The "Safari Knife"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The "Safari Knife"
      #172243 - 29/11/10 01:27 AM

On another site there was a discussion regarding what to take on an African safari.

There was a discussion regarding taking a knife.

Do you take a knife on a safari? What sort? And what did you use it for?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: NitroX]
      #172251 - 29/11/10 01:51 AM

Although I haven't been to Africa, I wouldn't leave home without a knife. Usually I have a little one in my shirt pocket, and a larger fixed blade knife on my person. They are in almost constant use.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: Tatume]
      #172267 - 29/11/10 03:44 AM

I always have a knife on my ammo belt, a 5"-6" blade. Carbon steel, takes a razor edge, can be used to skin if really needed.

Useful for cutting biltong, salami, bread, meat, twigs, ropes, sticks, all sort of stuff - including one's fingers...

Another great blade is the French Opinel: no-nonsense foldable knife, with a locking ring and one of the easiest blades to sharpen. Rusts, is ugly as a boar's ass, but does the job every single time you need, and better than fancier - and more expensive - knives.

Almost everybody I know carries either a fixed or folding knife, 4" to 6" blade.

--------------------
Philip

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #172269 - 29/11/10 04:18 AM

I take two knives with me: a Swiss Army Knife that has a saw, file, scissors, tooth pick, tweezers, bottle opener, 4 screw driver blades, and 2 knife blades. It gets used a lot. I also bring a fixed blade, high carbon steel, drop point knife with a 4 inch blade. It gets used mainly for slicing biltong.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #172278 - 29/11/10 08:05 AM

like Kano said, the French OPINAL (10cm)is a good knife. And at around $20, I always bring one for the Trackers. They love them and I get the benefit of a sharp knife on my trophies.
You can get these in Stainless.
I also take a 4" bladed custom also.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: ozhunter]
      #172286 - 29/11/10 10:40 AM

Isn't there a similar knife to the opinal that come out Scandinavia? I haven't seen one in years since "bucknife" became popular.

The only knife I used on my trip to SA was my Swiss army knife. But I had my skinning knife. It just doesn't seem right to go hunting with out it.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: DoubleD]
      #172287 - 29/11/10 11:04 AM

Another + for the opinal knives. There is a very small one without the lock ring that makes a great capeing knife.

I take a knife for odd tasks but haven't needed one. In Africa I leave the skinning to the workers. It's there job and when in Rome ...

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: tophet1]
      #172292 - 29/11/10 01:05 PM

My PH told me that a number of his clients bring expensive custom made knives on a hunt, which they never use and end up giving to the skinner at the end of the hunt. The skinner prefers to work with a Chinese made butcher knife, which sells for the equivalet of a dollar, because although the custom knives retain an edge for a long time, when they do go dull they're a bitch to sharpen. He cuts a little with his cheap knife, then puts a fresh edge on it and cuts again. The custom knives are simply sold.

I never carried anything but a Swiss Army knife, useful for opening bottles, etc. I also skinned an impala with it, just to satisfy myself that I could.

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: xausa]
      #172293 - 29/11/10 01:16 PM

I always carry my knife on any hunt and feel naked without it.
My PH used my knife to break down my Buff and my Fathers Buff as theirs were shocking.
I carry my "Leatherman" as well.

Both are "Kizlyar's" ,great steel and good value.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: DoubleD]
      #172302 - 29/11/10 03:19 PM

Quote:

Isn't there a similar knife to the opinal that come out Scandinavia? I haven't seen one in years since "bucknife" became popular.

I think you may be thinking of a Barrel Knife. Similar to, but a little more complicated than the Opinels. They're an interesting design, the blade sits between two liners inside the barrel shaped handle. To open it you slide the blade assembly out, pivot the blade out from the liners and insert it back into the handle which locks it in place. They came in all sizes, not sure if there are any current makers but still see them once in awhile. (after my father retired he got on a collecting kick to pass the time, has quite a bunch)

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: 450_EXPRESS]
      #172331 - 29/11/10 11:33 PM

In the interests of saving excess baggage, I borrowed a sheath knife from the PH as last-ditch defence against leopard attack. I don't recall using it for anything.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: Paul]
      #172335 - 30/11/10 02:24 AM

On one safari I think I did not take a sheath knife. However usually mine just stays in the day pack or even the duffel bag in the hut.

I always carry a pocket knife of some sort, Swiss or Leatherman, or something like that. I carry one every day, everywhere, at least if I forget to take it out and leave it in the car, when in "urban" areas in Australia. I remember I used to take a Swiss Army Knife in my camera bag on planes too, and once had to surrender it to be held by the Pilot, on a flight from London to Nairobi, or it could have been Cairo. Got it back at the other end. Something about the blade being slightly too long.

Those were the days, eh? When passengers could have attacked the box cutter wielding terrorist nut jobs instead of dying like sheep ....

I often wear a sheath knife many days at home on the farm as well, but it sometimes gets in the way.

So ....

why not carry one on safari as well.

In Africa, it is often not needed. Might come in handy for peeling an apple or something like that. Usually a client doesn't get down and help with the skinning, but I think it goes with being part of hunting.

My favourite knife at the moment, is a simple one I acquired last.

A Brueletto "Trollkniven"

Very sharp. Easy to sharpen, but prone to rust if not oiled in afterwards.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#172336 - 30/11/10 02:30 AM

However I have heard it remarked by PHs once or twice, why do clients bother bringing a knife at all?

One PH rudely also said, clients don't even need binoculars, all they need is their rifle, ammo and scope etc, and know how to shoot.

I think some of these guys confuse that many of us go there to hunt, would hunt there without a PH if it was possible and legal (and practical). And we are not there just to be led by the hand and told to shoot when they think so. Not just there to collect bragging trophies for the wall.

I enjoy the actual hunt more than the kill. I enjoy a challenging hunt more than an easy one. At least afterwards.

As for knives, I think the Sikhs have it right, they are part of being a man.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #172362 - 30/11/10 08:58 AM

Nitrox, canīt believe any PH would moan about the client bringing a knife or especially a pair of binos !!?? best, Mike

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #172370 - 30/11/10 01:25 PM

NitroX.
I know what you are saying.When I shot my Cape Buff,I had mixed emotions,I was happy yo get my animal after a good hunt and put in a good shot but I was disapointed the hunt was over.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
      #172382 - 30/11/10 04:32 PM

Quote:

One PH rudely also said, clients don't even need binoculars, all they need is their rifle, ammo and scope etc, and know how to shoot.

I'm glad I took Bino's on all my hunts. especially the first in 2001. The PH had a cheap and nasty pair of Tasco somethings. When he used my Steiners, I had a battle to get them back.

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #172412 - 01/12/10 01:52 AM

I always bring two--and NEVER leave camp without one on my ammo belt...the one I use a lot is a buck..with two blades..one is a saw blade..flip it over and can use a regular drop point blade..cheaper knife and easy to sharpen in the field..carry a little sharpner with me all the time as well...use it all the time whether in Africa, Alaska or Montana...

Also have a leatherman with me which is a multi-tool with a knife blade as well...usually keep that in my pack I take along in the field...never know when you might need to tighten something or have a need --feel its better to b safe than sorry...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #172430 - 01/12/10 05:37 AM

Something like this from Fallkniven:

and something like a Mora 'Clipper' or Opinel for the trackers/skinners

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: Ripp]
      #172436 - 01/12/10 06:15 AM

"better safe than sorry"

Agree 100%, I,m a firm believer in always having fire and a knife on me. If there's not a lighter and pocketknife in my pocket, something's not quite right, I figure any good caveman knows that. (wife always says I'm not quite evolved, but I'm comfortable with that.)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: 450_EXPRESS]
      #172446 - 01/12/10 08:52 AM

I think Xausa and Nitro nailed it as far as guided hunts are concerned. The fellow being guided always has a yearning for the need for a knife, but all he really needs is a folding bottle opener and most of the time not even that.

As for what we carry, well, in the field its usually what I make, but truth be known, often in the kitchen when the elk and deer are cut up it is a combination that always involves a couple cheap maker-unknown "filet" knives, the type that have the stainless whippy blades and plastic handles. They work great. I've been meaning to make one like them as I have some millsaws that would work great, and made a friend a small fishing knife from that material that worked out nicely. Yeah, I know, making a "custom" knife to meet the specs of something bought for 4 bucks seems a little odd, and maybe that's the reason I haven't got round to it yet.....

Best multi-tool made IMO is the discontinued Vice-Grips model. I have two we treasure. We dumped Leathermen a long time ago since they aren't worth sh__ when fence wire and stuff like that gets in the way, and the little Vice-Grips cut it all and open rusted shut locking "O" rings we use on the trapline, too, something the Leathermen choke on as well. Tho they don't make the multitool version anymore, if you want a great little belt tool, get the small version of the Vice-Grip and you have a winner.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: 9.3x57]
      #172496 - 02/12/10 09:14 AM

Well I know most clients wouldn't 'need' a knife, but there is nothing stopping you getting your hands dirty. I've almost always been involved with some part of the gralloch, skinning or butchering and especially barbecuing! In Africa you do have to bear in mind that someone gets paid for doing those tasks and that also means someone most likely takes pride in doing their best for you. I have found that as long as you get involved in a good humoured way and show that its all part of the hunt for you, nobody minds and often you can have a laugh at the same time. Its not about trying to prove you can do it better.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #172506 - 02/12/10 01:52 PM

Quote:

In Africa you do have to bear in mind that someone gets paid for doing those tasks and that also means someone most likely takes pride in doing their best for you.

Around here we are the Africans, 'cept we don't get paid 'cept with a full freezer.

Here's a month ago, packing out an elk quarter.

I made the knives, scabbard and belt.

Far left; an elk antler-scale-gripped sticker.

Middle; a guardless left-handed, chisel-ground Bowie.

Far right; heavy, left-handed, chisel-ground parang.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#172539 - 03/12/10 02:37 AM

Mate - the camp staff would never get a stain like that our of your safari shirt when doing the daily laundry!

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: The "Safari Knife" [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #172549 - 03/12/10 05:28 AM

Quote:

Mate - the camp staff would never get a stain like that our of your safari shirt when doing the daily laundry!

My son has more sense than I.

He wore the hose-off-able raincoat!

Back On Topic before I get spanked by the Moderators, this morning I took a pic of the little multitool we like so much. Maybe ViceGrip sells them outside the USA? I've been told they are discontinued here. Very stout little tool and sold for about 20 bucks, too, about a quarter of what a L-man sells for.

--------------------

joivill
.224 member

Reged: 11/02/10
Loc: Iceland
      #172582 - 03/12/10 10:57 PM

Hi my frindes over there. My Icelandic hunting knife have make a good sens over there
and the skiners in Namibia like them very mushe. I have use this knife for hunting in
Tanzania, Namibia, Poland and Im just going out of my door to go over there now for hunting, it is _ 25°C over there now "coold" I allso use them for Rendeer hunting her in Iceland,This knif is good for working on the skin and meat, also for your knife on the evening table. This size not to short not to long, blade 10cm ca. 4" long and drop point and good handle, The blade must be made from a good steel and good hardnering methold so the edge stay in the blade for many animals.
Thanks and good hunting
Johann Vilhjalmsson
www.icelandicknives.com

Edited by joivill (03/12/10 11:10 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 405 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6675

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com