Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Why did you take up shooting the Double?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/03
Loc: United Kingdom
Why did you take up shooting the Double?
      #17008 - 22/07/04 04:49 AM

I was wondering what inspired everyone to take up shooting the double or perhaps why you are considering taking up the double. Not just the practicalities of a second shot at dangerous game but what “sparked” that first interest and what maintains it.

I have my reasons, mostly tied up with working through my Fathers library at a very early age; Ruark, Murray Smith, Hunter and all the others have a lot to answer for, filling a small boys head with magic. It sowed the seeds of the “right” way to hunt, up close and off hand rather than at a distance and detached. I will probably hunt only one elephant and want to hunt in the most unforgettable, time-honoured and cherished way I can, small boys dreams.

Regards

Phil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
Re: Why did you take up shooting the Double? [Re: Phil_in_the_UK]
      #17026 - 22/07/04 12:48 PM

The classics certainly have to grab at your gut as a reason for going to a double rifle. But for me, the reason starts with why I no longer use pump and automatic shotguns. The double is the best balanced gun there is. The others feel like they balance like a sow attached to a snow shovel in comparison. The lighter weight the double gets, the more this comparison is true. Feel is everything.

JudgeG
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Loc: Georgia Coast
Re: Why did you take up shooting the Double? [Re: Peterb]
      #17033 - 22/07/04 10:43 PM

Because the local pawn shop had only two rifles for sale in calibers suitable for deer. One was an Enfield SMLE MKIII in .303 and the other was a Royal Grade Holland & Holland double in the same caliber. Since both had iron sights and the Holland was cheaper, I bought it. I kinda liked the little pictures engraved on the sidelocks, too.

Actually, I hunt with double rifles because it brings me great joy to hold such fine things in my hand, to re-live a time past, and to hunt in a manner that requires close communion with God's creatures. That's also why, when bowhunting, I don't use compound bows, but hunt with a recurve or longbow.

Anyway, with my bushy mustache, I look like Teddy Roosevelt.

--------------------
JudgeG
Old and getting older, I hope. But once I was young.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #17039 - 22/07/04 11:04 PM

To get an extra shot! I used to be a ruger No. 1 shooter (cheap big bore guns) but, I was nervous using one against DG. Hence, my life long lust for a double now had a practical reason for being. As I said before, I have two guns: my Merkel 375H&H SxS and a Berreta 20Ga O/U. What more is needed, except a set of 470 barrels

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #17046 - 23/07/04 03:03 AM

I've loved SxS shotguns since I was a kid. Just loved the way they looked. So my first shotgun was a SxS I loved the action and feel of them. So when I discoverd their were SxS rifles well...

Also reading classic on Africa, wathcing "Out of Africa" and the "Ghost and the Darkness" didn' help either

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

bonanza
.400 member

Re: Why did you take up shooting the Double? [Re: Chasseur]
      #17050 - 23/07/04 06:39 AM

I believe that most gun lovers will, when they have the means or when opportunity knocks, purchase a double rifle. I think they are such a special object, being hand crafted and so perfect for their designed porpose(sp) they rise above all other firearms.

--------------------

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"Yo! Mr. White"

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Why did you take up shooting the Double? [Re: bonanza]
      #17083 - 23/07/04 10:45 AM

I think that at times I am a man out of time. I enjoy using things that are well crafted and well suited for the intended purpose. I like things that have a history and a previous life. I like old Doubles, not new ones. I like old Cartridges, not new ones. I like Bamboo Fly Rods, not Graphite or Boron ones.

Too much of the time we are caught up in what is 'New' and 'Improved'. We fail to ask the question is it really necessary? Is it really and improvement or just something different?

I can pick up one of my old rifles and only imagine where it has been and what it has done. Try that with your new stainless steel shootinboomer pushfeed. Only old rifles are interesting.

I like the Journey, more than the Destination.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #17101 - 23/07/04 04:42 PM

Phil, I bought a double because I stood 15 feet from a buffalo while carring a bolt gun with 5 cartridges in it and realized, "At 15 feet, this thing is a single shot."

bonanza
.400 member

Re: Why did you take up shooting the Double? [Re: 500grains]
      #17108 - 23/07/04 10:48 PM

"Phil, I bought a double because I stood 15 feet from a buffalo while carring a bolt gun with 5 cartridges in it and realized, "At 15 feet, this thing is a single shot."

That is so f**king funny.

--------------------

"Yo! Mr. White"

bonanza
.400 member

Re: Why did you take up shooting the Double? [Re: mickey]
      #17109 - 23/07/04 10:53 PM

"I can pick up one of my old rifles and only imagine where it has been and what it has done. Try that with your new stainless steel shootinboomer pushfeed. Only old rifles are interesting"

How interesting is your old rifle when it's broken and you can't shoot it? I have a new merkel double which many people in this forum regard as unworthy, but what would their opinion be if it were a new Purdy?

--------------------

"Yo! Mr. White"

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #17119 - 24/07/04 08:31 AM

Gentlemen, Good answers all. It is pretty much the same as ya'll have said for me. My original spark came from reading Elmer Keith, Boddington's Safari Rifles, both of John Taylor's rifle books, and watching Mark Sullivan's films.
After using Double rifles for 7 years I now know I made the right decision.
After you use one for a while you will understand.
If I could only have one or two rifles they would be Doubles, of that I have no doubt.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Why did you take up shooting the Double? [Re: NE450No2]
      #17124 - 24/07/04 09:42 AM

In reply to:

After you use one for a while you will understand.

AMEN!

4seventy
Sponsor

#17125 - 24/07/04 10:14 AM

In '79 I was in Brisbane to sell a load of 'roo skins and ended up in the city for a couple of hours.
Walked into Robertsons Sports Store (now defunct) and walked out sometime later with a copy of Taylors "African Rifles and Cartridges".
Before that I didn't know that double rifles even existed!
From the very first time I saw the photos of Jamiesons Holland and the drawings of the big NE cartridges in that book, and read the stories, I was hooked!

25 years on and I'm still just as hooked on doubles and actually maybe worse!
Thesedays I only ever use a boltgun when I'm forced to and that is not very often!
During the 90's I put over 1500 rounds through a 360 No2, mostly on game.
More recently I've put hundreds of rounds through my 400-350 and also my 7x65R.
The 470 has fired a bit less than 200 rounds since I've owned it.
I've just finished a rebuild on "The Big Stick" double and have not had the oportunity to shoot it yet.
Next week should fix that!
I use my doubles for my own hunting as well as back up on guided hunts.

4seventy
Sponsor

#17127 - 24/07/04 10:25 AM

In reply to:

I have my reasons, mostly tied up with working through my Fathers library at a very early age; Ruark, Murray Smith, Hunter

Speaking of Hunter, I see Champlins has a Boswell 500 Nitro of his for sale at present.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #17136 - 24/07/04 12:48 PM

In reply to:

Poster: bonanza

How interesting is your old rifle when it's broken and you can't shoot it? I have a new merkel double which many people in this forum regard as unworthy, but what would their opinion be if it were a new Purdy?

While my comment was more towards bolt rifles and all the new cartridges my opinion of a new Purdey is the same as my opinion of a new Merkel, or a new Winchester or whatever.

Why would you think an old Double would break before your Merkel? Even if one did break what would be the problem? Just like anything that breaks you get it fixed.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #17197 - 26/07/04 07:17 AM

Phil, I'm 67 years old, and born a poor Texas Ranch kid on my grandfather's ranch in the north end ogf the Texas hill country. From as long ago as I can remember, I have liked doubles, then I was only aware of shotguns, but I have a picture of myself at the age of 3 with a toy double shotgun, standing front of a toy peddle car. So I guess I was born that way.

When I was six, my father bought me a single shot 22 rifle, and when we would go to town I always went to Kelly's hardware store to buy ammo. Mr. Kelly had animal mounts from Africa in his store, and my grandfather had a real problem getting me out of that store. One day the old man saw me come into his store, and called to me, Hey boy come back here I want to show you something. He placed an oak&leather case on the counter, and opened it. It held a H&H royal, 500/465NE INDIA! My eyes wide, he put the rifle together, and handed it to me, cautioning me not to drop it. He then handed me one of the cartridges for this hansome rifle. I took out one of my .22 lr shells, and compared them. That thing had to be the largest cartridge in the world, I thought. I have Mr. Kelly's hunts in east Africa, and his rifle to blame for this afliction I now have had for 61 years! After that day, my uncle's double barrel 410 shotgun got a work out every chance I got, and I always pretended it was my H&H double rifle, and the rabbits I hunted were Cape Buffalo! Thanks Mr. Kelly!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3085

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com