Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser M-03- more "Mauser" than I thought!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
CWJ1898
.275 member

Reged: 28/01/09
Loc: LA, USA
Mauser M-03- more "Mauser" than I thought!
      #171905 - 23/11/10 05:44 AM

I am always digging for new revelations pertaining to my own firearm battery and quite recently I drew a few intersting (at least in my mind) observations while re-examining Mr. John Speed's Mauser Archive. In it, 3 primary similarities between the Mauser M-03 and former original Mauser design parameters were discovered. First I discovered Herr Mauser's 2-piece bolt assembly that was developed around the turn of the century and apparently did not go far beyond prototype stage. The photo of this bolt illustrates a remarkable similarity with the M-03 in regard to the means the two cooresponding components are joined. The second and third similarities revolve around the Mauser 1933 experimental sporting rifle. In both this design and the M-03, the rifles share a receiver lacking a left receiver wall and both feature a detachable box magazine. Apparently complaints on the original M-98 had made their way to the Mauser engineering team in regard to what was assumed to be bullet deformation during chambering. The detachable box magazine on the 1933 model was designed for center position loading (not shared by the M-03) into the chamber and externally looks a bit like that of the M-03's detachable box magazine. Bolt configurations are completely different of course with bolt lock-up inside the barrel on the M-03 and a cocking mechanism vice a mechanical safety as well but the similarities peeked my interest and made me wonder if the M-03 design team took a look back in time for "new" concepts for this modern rifle. I hope others might find this interesting as well and would greatly appreciate other's viewpoints. Thank you,

Best regards,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2166

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com