Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Soroka Farquharson Action Pics

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
sirrocco
.275 member

Reged: 10/12/06
Loc: New Zealand, Italy
Soroka Farquharson Action Pics
      #169579 - 15/10/10 11:45 AM

I have been busy finishing off a run of actions of 25 actions for the last 6 months or so. One thing I can assure you is they each take a very long time to polish to this finish. So many compound curves to file and polish and then re-polish. Think many days, not hours. Everything takes more time than expected. Anyway a rather well know U.S gunscribe has had the prototype rifle for the last few months and after a successful trial period decided he wanted to own one in 300 H&H. It should be finished in time for the SCI show in Dallas and Reno. I am going to twist his arm to have it on display there, along with a couple of others in different finishes. This one is going to be just colour cased and rust blued. Should come up well. I hope the photo link below works. If it doesn't perhaps someone with "the knowledge" could help in getting them posted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54840448@N07/?saved=1

Edited by sirrocco (15/10/10 12:11 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cigar
.224 member

Reged: 10/10/10
Loc: Maryland
Re: Soroka Farquharson Action Pics [Re: sirrocco]
      #169632 - 16/10/10 12:05 AM

You are a true craftsman...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170668 - 31/10/10 02:37 PM

That action is spot on Gibbs, beautiful work. Just an observation, why not make the quarter rib integral when manufacturing the barrel?

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
Re: Soroka Farquharson Action Pics [Re: Cigar]
      #170669 - 31/10/10 02:44 PM

Your fit and finish is outstanding. Great looking work.

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

sirrocco
.275 member

Re: Soroka Farquharson Action Pics [Re: ]
      #170675 - 31/10/10 04:42 PM

Quote:

That action is spot on Gibbs, beautiful work. Just an observation, why not make the quarter rib integral when manufacturing the barrel?

Thanks, I was trying to get as close to the Gibbs look as possible and whilst they varied quite a bit over the years I selected rightly or wrongly one of the styles that appealed to me the most at the time.

With regard to the rib its doable but there will be a lot of difficult filing work especially around the tight radius that drops down from the shank. If I was going to offer an integral rib I would probably change the contour to a more standard American shape to negate any suicide risk for those on the end of the file. The current barrels have an integral escutcheon for both the forend to screw to and a similar sized lug that a pocket on the underside of the quarter rib locates on providing a very secure recoil stud, so there's no risk of either falling off. But if having an integral rib is a deal breaker then of course I will provide it, its just more time and money.

If you want to see these rifles or actions in the flesh they will be available to view at the Reno SCI show on the New England Custom Guns booth. All going to plan there will be 4 finished rifles on display plus an action or 2 in the flesh for those interested. A picture may convey a thousand words but there's nothing quite like holding one in your hands.

CWJ1898
.275 member

Reged: 28/01/09
Loc: LA, USA
      #171734 - 20/11/10 10:09 AM

Sirrocco,
Thank you and I mean it for bringing the Farqharson back to life. I understand you are from New Zealand and was wondering if you will be selling them through NECG in the future perhaps?

My respect and best regards,

sirrocco
.275 member

Re: Soroka Farquharson Action Pics [Re: CWJ1898]
      #171843 - 22/11/10 03:39 AM

Yes, New England Custom Guns are going to be the U.S.A distributor and in the next month or so will have either finished rifles or barreled actions, (or both) in the following calibers 270, 7x57, 7mm mag, 30/06, 300 H&H, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H Mag. And soon after will have 450/400 for those that want an "old smoker". If anyone wants any other caliber of course we will accomodate.

CWJ1898
.275 member

Reged: 28/01/09
Loc: LA, USA
      #171848 - 22/11/10 06:35 AM

Sirrocco,
That is great news I found out about your company a year or so ago and glad to know that we in the US will begin to see some of your fantastic work soon. Wishing you much success

Respectfully,

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5781

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com