Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Matabele
.300 member

Reged: 16/09/10
Loc: Zimbabwe
I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice
      #170414 - 28/10/10 05:08 AM

Hi all,

I purchased this rifle from a distant relation who emigrated to Australia. Its a really classy rifle although it has obviously seen some hard hunts in its life. There are numerous scratches and dings in the woodwork, fortunately nothing too deep and no chips. I think it will clean up rather nicely. The bore is not in the best condition sadly and the rifling is eroded a couple inches from the chamber. It appears to be however fully original with all parts having matching serial numbers, and it has the horn forend cap and pistol grip cap, multi-leaf rear sight etc.

Calibre is 9.3x62. It has mounts for a claw style quick detach scope mount. I tell you what though, this gun has a ferocious kick...first time I let one off, I just stood open mouthed for a while, didnt know what hit me!! Got used to it after a few shots offhand though, and in the field Im sure it wouldnt be noticed.

My question though is Im not sure what to do with it. I would really like to fix it up and take it in to the field. So do I rebarrel to 9.3x62 and keep the original sights (is this possible?), or do I use the action as the base for a custom .333 Jeffery as this is calibre/action combo I have always dreamed of owning. Or lastly do I rebore and rechamber to .404 Jeffery, and therefore keep the original barrel?

They just dont make them like this any more and this old gun just ooozes class, I'd hate to mess it up by making a rash decision.

Any advice is appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: Matabele]
      #170427 - 28/10/10 06:18 AM

Congrats to such a fine piece

When the barrel is so badly worn, and you donīt want a wall hanger I would recommend to make an exact copy of that barrel in its original caliber. So you can use all the rest for rebuilding (incl. the sight) without alteration.

When the kick of the 9,3 was "felt" for you it makes no sense at all to choose the .404 .

Much more kick especially in that configuration and btw more work for adaptation to that cartidge(Magazine,bolt head,stock and sight(height).

.333 is an option , yet versatility and availibility of the 9,3x62 is much more desirable .

Just my 2 cents.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #170430 - 28/10/10 06:23 AM

Reboring to .404 would even increase the kick, besides requiring opening up of the boltface and some magazine work. I would first shoot some groups from the bench, using different bullets/loads. Even an eroded barrel may group acceptably. If it still shoots inside 3" at 100 yaeds I would leave it alone!

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

Edited by kuduae (28/10/10 06:28 AM)

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: justcurious]
      #170433 - 28/10/10 06:41 AM

I would restore such a rare rifle, even if it required a new copy barrel.I believe the barrelmaker in Germany, Lothar Walther can make a 100% exact copy of the A-Mauser contour. If I recall correct the contour is called "E" type which is a classic stepdown barrel used on these A-Mausers

I had a .333Jeffery made up some years ago( I still have it), and there are considerable x-tra actionwork to make it feed right, that it will destroy any chance to ever get it back to shoot 9.3mmMauser. These A-Mausers in 9,3mm are very very rare, that they do represent a collector value in almost any condition. We have here on this forum a member from the Lone-star state, that has Osa Johnsons A-mauser in 9,3mm. Just surf the pages.

As far as recoil, the 9,3mm and the .333Jeffery are identical, and ofcouse the bulletsellection is by the mile bigger in 9,3mm`s....but on the other hand, how many bullets does one need? I am pretty happy that I am stucked with Woodleigh 300 grains. After all, there was a reason why I wanted the triple-three Jeffery in the first place..I simply fell in love with these loooong bullets. I have seen how they perform on game in Africa

Edited by rigbymauser (28/10/10 06:43 AM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: rigbymauser]
      #170436 - 28/10/10 07:54 AM

kuduae is right on.
Shoot it as is and find a load which agrees with it.
Once rebarreled, it loses a lot of it's collector value. I is one of those "its only original once" kind of things.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

justcurious
.333 member

Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: rigbymauser]
      #170437 - 28/10/10 08:01 AM

What LW in Germany sells as Type E contour barrel is more similiar to the original prewar 10,75x68 barrels , though not quite interchangeable.

The front diameter of LW type E is 17mm , whereas the original 9,3 is 15(seldom 16 mm).

Diameter of LW barrels (Base) is 29-30 Oberndorf : 31 mm.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #170443 - 28/10/10 08:27 AM

All the best with it, Mark!

Raff
.300 member

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Texas
Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: Ben]
      #170446 - 28/10/10 08:46 AM

Matabele;
You got some great advise from Huvius and Kuduae.
Work up some loads, try different bullets and see how
accurate you can make it while leaving it alone. It can
only be original once. I'd be happy if it only shot into
4-5" at 100m. Just allow for that. You can always change
out the barrel on down the road if you feel the need.
Good luck whichever way you go.
Raff

--------------------

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: Raff]
      #170467 - 28/10/10 04:46 PM

I would go with Kuduae's option first and if that is not achievable then re-barrel to same cartridge with new exact contour etc barrel. The second option of course destroys the 'collector' value as such but this may not concern you so much.

I have the same Mauser Type A opened up to 404J and it does boot and bruise off the bench even at original 404J specs let alone if you chase 2300fps or more. In your case if wanting to retain the original barrel and options 1 & 2 are not want you want to do, you could possibly re-chamber and bore your barrel for the 10.75x68 cartridge. This was an original chambering for the Type A (mine was this before opening up to 404J). Conversion to the 10.75x68 would be much simpler (if the chamber would re-cut?)as this cartridge, like the 9.2x63, uses the unaltered standard length action. Cases are not so available as the 404J but they are out there.

With modern powders and bullets it appears from other posters using the '68 that you can achieve the old 404J specs of 2100fps with 400gr bullets, or just stick to the modern Woodleighs in 350 gr weight for lighter recoil.

Best wishes which ever way you go, you have a fine rifle I might say.

Edited by eagle27 (28/10/10 04:48 PM)

Matabele
.300 member

Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: eagle27]
      #170475 - 28/10/10 06:39 PM

Thanks for all the advice gents, a lot of really great information here. You've convinced me to try and get some more 9.3 bullets and actually see what the rifle can do. As has been already mentioned, in the bushveld where I hunt a tackdriver is not required, so It may very well have all the accuracy I need.

One question though regarding the claw mounts. Are these currently available from anywhere or is it strictly a custom job? How stable and consistent are claw mounts compared to other mount types?

No thread is complete without pictures, sorry for the bad quality. The other rifle of interest in the one picture is a Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine 6.5x54. This rifle has also led a very tough life and would not have much collector value Im sure, its missing the set trigger, and has been restocked somewhere along the line. So I was contemplating using the barreled action and rebuild it to its former glory.

Edited by CptCurl (29/10/10 11:30 PM)

justcurious
.333 member

#170488 - 28/10/10 09:32 PM

What you have is not only any claw mount , but the much desired original Oberndorf mounting.

Restoring that is a strictly custom job for a smith of experience.

Properly done it is as stable as any scope mounting system and one of the quickest detachable.

Return to zero perfect.

Donīt mind that the front receiver ring is cut for the mounting .

In the case of the 9,3x62 which is not a high pressure cartridge there is no problem.

GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
      #170490 - 28/10/10 09:55 PM

Nice guns Mate,
The other option if it doesn't shoot well enough is to simply unscrew the original barrel off and keep it somewhere safe. Then get a copy barrel made up for your regular use. This way you have not destroyed anything.
George

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
      #170500 - 29/10/10 02:54 AM

I wouldn't restore that gun in a million years. Every collecting niche is different, but I can tell you that restored Winchesters almost always lose value...even if this gun didn't lose value, I'd be surprised if the cost of the restoration could ever be recovered.

You've got a great rifle. Clean the bore as best you can while still being kind to it (I'm a fan of Kroil and J-B compound for getting decades of crud out of a barrel...patches only, no brushes in my house) and you might be surprised at how it will shoot. The metal will benefit greatly from some repeated cleaning with Kroil; cloths/patches will continue to show brown on them until all the surface discoloration is gone, and you usually end up with a nicer looking, though still patina, blue when you're done. Kroil will not harm the original bluing in the least.

Wood will benefit from cleaning with a good furniture cleaner. On stocks like yours I use a dark Old English product that has a stain in it...it not only cleans the wood, but masks most of the scratches too.

kuduae
.400 member

#170507 - 29/10/10 05:07 AM

Quote:

The other rifle of interest in the one picture is a Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine 6.5x54. This rifle has also led a very tough life and would not have much collector value Im sure, its missing the set trigger, and has been restocked somewhere along the line. So I was contemplating using the barreled action and rebuild it to its former glory.

Imho the guy who restocked your Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1903 did a very good job copying the original pre-war M-S style. If it were mine, I would replace the ventilated recoil pad with a decent solid one, preferably in red, apply a English type oil finish and have it checkered. Examples of proper checkering patterns you will find in the "Mannlicher Discussion Forum and Archive". Proper stirrup sling swivels are available, at lest here in Germany and at Brownell's. Sorry, but I have just given away the last M-S set trigger from my junkbox. But the pre-war M-Ss usually have nice trigger pulls even unset, as there is a little roller built into the trigger lever. On my M1925 8x60 I removed the rear trigger too. I made a longer set trigger adjustment screw that takes up the slack between front trigger and trigger lever. Exact length is just a matter of cut and try. This also moves the front trigger to a more covenient position.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (29/10/10 11:31 PM)

Matabele
.300 member

Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: kuduae]
      #170695 - 31/10/10 08:25 PM

Thanks again for the advice gents, I will try and get my hands on some Kroil and give the barrel a good clean. I agree kudue the trigger on the Mannlicher is not bad at all, quite smooth. However I would like to fit a set trigger and refurbish as best I can. Will probably take a long long time however!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: taw1126]
      #170713 - 01/11/10 02:13 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't restore that gun in a million years. Every collecting niche is different, but I can tell you that restored Winchesters almost always lose value...even if this gun didn't lose value, I'd be surprised if the cost of the restoration could ever be recovered.

You've got a great rifle. Clean the bore as best you can while still being kind to it (I'm a fan of Kroil and J-B compound for getting decades of crud out of a barrel...patches only, no brushes in my house) and you might be surprised at how it will shoot. The metal will benefit greatly from some repeated cleaning with Kroil; cloths/patches will continue to show brown on them until all the surface discoloration is gone, and you usually end up with a nicer looking, though still patina, blue when you're done. Kroil will not harm the original bluing in the least.

Wood will benefit from cleaning with a good furniture cleaner. On stocks like yours I use a dark Old English product that has a stain in it...it not only cleans the wood, but masks most of the scratches too.

This is good advice. Wet the patch with Kroil and smear JB compound on it and scrub away, replenishing the kroil and JB every 10 to 15 strokes. Keep the scrubbing patches tight, replacing as they wear. Euro rifles generally have quite deep grooves and collect a lot of powder and copper fouling - my 9.3x62 Mauser did and does. It now shoots just fine - 1 1/2" at 100 meters off bags, although the bore is not very good. it took several sessions to clean it.
Another good formula to try is Wipe-Out. Soak overnight, push it out in the morning & repeat until the bore is clean. Then, I'd use JB - the patches will come out black again, which is normal. You can finish with straight Kroil as a final oil and then 1 or 2 dry patch through the barrel before shooting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

GSP7
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/06
Loc: Ca./idaho
Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: DarylS]
      #170737 - 01/11/10 01:14 PM

Nice rifle.... I like that wood chair/couch too. What kind of wood is that chair?

Matabele
.300 member

Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: GSP7]
      #170803 - 02/11/10 06:56 AM

Thanks for the info Daryl_S, good to hear you got your rifle shooting again. I dont have any experience with JB Paste, but isnt that an abrasive? I presume in small doses it wont harm the bore? I have read about a locally made (SA) product that removes copper fouling, but is water based as opposed to ammonia based so is a lot safer to the bore. I'll have to rummage through my pile of magazines again to find the review on it.

GSP7, Im not sure of the wood in that old bench. Its pretty rough around the edges but I agree though its got plenty of character. It belonged to our family Doctor who gave it to our family when she returned back to Switzerland to retire. I reckon that bench is at least 50-60 years old because it was given to her pretty well used when she first arrived in the country.

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
      #170824 - 02/11/10 02:14 PM

Quote:

I dont have any experience with JB Paste, but isnt that an abrasive? I presume in small doses it wont harm the bore?

It's a very mild abrasive and won't harm the bore. Just make 10 - 15 passes through a well-oiled bore, toss the patches, and oil the bore up again. The Kroil (penetrating oil) will soak into/through the crud, and the J-B paste will clean it out. When the patches quit coming out black you're done (could take a very long time depending on how well the bore was cared for). Neither of these products has ammonia. During this process I usually let a heavy application of Kroil sit overnight, clean with J-B for as long as I time allows, then put another heavy overnight coat of Kroil on. No harm to the rifle.

kuduae
.400 member

#171044 - 06/11/10 09:50 PM

Quote:

However I would like to fit a set trigger and refurbish as best I can. Will probably take a long long time however!

Then E. Schoder in Austria http://www.eschoder.com/english/english-index.htm may be worth a try. He lists the rear set trigger at Euro 69.-.

--------------------

Matabele
.300 member

Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: kuduae]
      #171136 - 08/11/10 08:24 PM

Great info thanks again, I'll get my hands on some JB and Kroil and see what comes out of that bore.

Thanks also for the link kudue...what a great resource!

Wes350
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/08
Loc: CA,
      #171237 - 10/11/10 06:34 AM

Yeah, see how the bore turns out with a through cleaning before you consider a rebarrel.

But like another poster said - you could just hold on to the original barrel afterwords and nothing is lost.

One thing that I would do is switch out the recoil pad! Save the old one, and don't cut the stock. But a new pad would probably work wonders helping with the recoil.

CWJ1898
.275 member

Reged: 28/01/09
Loc: LA, USA
Re: I have a Mauser A-Type 9.3x62...could use some advice [Re: Wes350]
      #171732 - 20/11/10 10:05 AM

Matabele,
I am in violent agreement with taw1126 and the rest of the "keep it original posters". What you have is one great rifle and as long as you do not intend to engage in precision targetry it is in my mind a no brainer. I would not even take the chance of rebarreling and keeping the original barrel as "things happen"- a good friend made that mistake (the gunsmith was far from incompetent) with a Mauser Kurz action and becomes physically ill when others talk of rebarreling an original Mauser.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11413

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com