Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: practical difference in.........

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
longfeather
.224 member

Reged: 11/11/05
Loc: Pennsylvania USA
practical difference in.........
      #170910 - 05/11/10 07:49 AM

Hello All,

I'm posing this questions to those that have actual "real world" hunting experience with both of the following calibers.

I am purchasing a new double rifle, the make/brand of which has already been decided on. Said rifle is offered in both 9.3x74R and .375 HH Flanged and Belted. The rifle won't be a primary DGR but I want it to be a "sufficient" enough back-up to the big bore I will be carrying. It will also be the "go to" for other less violent critters as well.

Aside from the adnausea argument that double rifles shouldn't be chambered in rimless cartridges, is there any "real world practical difference" on game, especially those that tend to bite back, between the two?

I've studied various handloading books and do note that the .375 does have an edge on velocity but we all know velocity isn't everything.

One of my major concerns is ammo availability in the far-off places one might use a rifle chambered as such, Africa not with standing. I would highly suspect the .375 to have a distinct advantage in this catagory.

Any and all practical advise/opinion welcomed.
Thanks in advance

Best regards,
Longfeather

P.S. I'm posting this on the A-R forum as well.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: practical difference in......... [Re: longfeather]
      #170912 - 05/11/10 08:01 AM

Hi Longfeather,

Only hunted Australian buffalo not African but the .375H&H was my choice, soft and solids went to same P.O.I. Good quality ammo available let alone components for reloading. Ammo available in Africa and IMO will handle most beasts bar the really big ones and is acceptable in all African countries for big game.

Just my 0.2Cents,

Regards,

Jeff Gray

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: practical difference in......... [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #170914 - 05/11/10 08:33 AM

You will struggle to find any ammo in Zimbabwe at all.
If it isn't your primary DGR I would rather the 9.3 but there is no substitute for cubic inch and that makes the 375 more gun !!.

A 320 grain Woodleigh PP in a 9.3 @ 2200 fps will out penetrate a 300 grain Woodleigh PP in a 375 H&H @ 2660 fps. Have proven it many times.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2168

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com