Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ruger No 1 303

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
radin
.275 member

Reged: 04/08/10
Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: DarylS]
      #188461 - 24/08/11 09:42 PM

Just a 2 cents input , I have an old I. Hollis 0.303 sporter that will only shoot well with 0.318 Woodleighs . Adjusted for pressures . Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: underlever]
      #188468 - 24/08/11 11:04 PM

Quote:

I must say that reading the history of the old 303 is quite interesting, but what it has to do with this lot of 303's is a bit of a mystery.

I don't see the mystery at all. The standards for rifle manufacturing were established in the production of, first, military, then commercial rifles. They are what they are. Appears Ruger has stayed within recognized standards and specifications for .303 rifles, at least as far as groove depth is concerned.

Military rifles are by necessity made to tolerances that no sporting rifle manufactuer, today at least, should follow.

At one level I'd like to agree with you except this is an incorrect statement. Rifle specs are what they are. If originally established in the production of military rifles, then so it is. For Ruger to step outside of those standards would be the aberration, not accepted practice.

Even in war time I believe that potential sniper rifles were pulled from the production line due to their above standard of accuracy. I bet if these barrels were measured when new, projectile to bore fit would have been tighter then the rest.

This could be a really interesting goal for investigation, but I bet otherwise. Mere groove depth has so little impact on "accuracy" at the standards demanded for sniper rifles that I suspect other features came into play with far more impact. Stocking up in particular. I'd also be interested in knowing what, say, 100 of the sniper rifles averaged as far as groove depth, but would be quite surprised to find it was much different than any others, especially since the manufacturing specifications and requirements were the same. And...becuase some of my most accurate Lee-Enfields had deep grooved barrels. Lemme check and see if I can find if special bore gauges were used or different standards established for the sniper rifles. Good question, Ron.

From this, you can see why the bore dimensions of the Ruger 303 doesn't sit well with me. Would anyone who bought a new .22 cal. centre fire rifle be happy with a bore size of .227-8" ?

If the actual manufacturing specifications of original .303 rifles are irrelevant to the discussion, I fail to see how your rifle is relevant, tho your points about what excessive groove depths do are well-taken. But in answer to your question here, yes, if the original specs for the barrel were .227 and rifles for years were made as such, then I would expect modern rifles to be made similarly.

Just because the 303 started life as a military round should have little bearing on how they are dimensioned today.

I disagree. The .303 didn't just "start" as a military rifle, the vast, and I mean vast and overwhelming preponderance of the rifles made were military rifles. In fact, commercial .303's with commercial .303 barrels were a drop in the bucket compared to mil-production and even so they kept within mil-spec. They are what they are.

There is a standard size for the projectiles for the 303, it stands to reason the barrels should have been dimensioned accordingly.

Mostly, I agree with you here as for any custom .303 that might be made. However, I believe it is fully acceptable for a modern maker to follow suit of the original design and manufacturing specs for the caliber in question. Where I would diverge is that if Ruger used a deep-grooved barrel, then went on to use some other NON-spec feature of boring {oversize bore/land diamter, radically different rifling forms, etc}, it would be wholly unacceptable.

Ruger know how to make a good rifle, or at least they used to.

I think Ruger is making a good rifle as long as they stick to established design specs. If that makes for an "inaccurate" rifle, then so be it. That is what custom gunmakers are for. As for these rifles, I am still not sure what the problem is. Based on personal experience and the established material on the subject, I do not believe GROOVE depth of .315 alone is to blame for bad accuracy of new rifles. And...in fact, looking at many of the standards for accuracy of the older guns shooting the older calibers, find 3-inch 5-shot groups to be, well, dreary, but not outside the realm of "factory acceptable" with factory ammunition and considered acceptable by pretty much all makers, too. Want better than that? Get a custom rifle or shoot handloaded ammo. Or steer away from the No.1 Ruger itself...?

Again, that is why I steer away from some of these calibers, or, in the case of my old overbored 9.3's, accept them for what they are, which in my case happens to be very accurate rifles, especially when shooting custom-made bullets and ammo.

Yes, I'm defending Ruger until I find out they made some actual "mistake" in boring these rifles. Which wouldn't actually surprise me, that is, if they kept to dimensional spec of groove depth but varied significantly in form or land diameter. But this needs to be demonstrated, all at the same time as showing that the morelikely culprits; stocking and bedding, are not to blame for preventing MOA groups.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #188472 - 25/08/11 12:42 AM

The bore diameter is the important measurement, as 9.3x57 indicated. IF the bore is indeed, .303", then the .315" groove diameter is not the cause of the rifle's innacuracy - something else is.

I've a friend with a #1, which shot 2 groups - ie: it double grouped splitting almost every shot into one group or the other- 1 1/2" to 2" apart and poor groups at that. Bedding did not help.

The rifle double grouped with factory ammo as well as all normal handloads. After he tested a specific powder that I'd been using and raised his speeds to over 3,500fps, the double grouping disappeared and that inaccurate #1 turned into his long range gopher gun - quite a reversal for what today is basically an inaccurate design - in comparrison to bolt guns, that is.

I realize you want to use facory ammo and I cannot blame you for that - your choice. Being that the rifle's accuracy is not as good as you'd like, your only recourse is to attempt to return it and hope Ruger accepts your claims - as you have done.

I susecpt they'll have a representitive shoot the rifle to determine what accuracy it does produce and decide from that to do nothing, repair or replace the rifle.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #188491 - 25/08/11 05:12 AM

Ruger wants to sell their rifles in European (GB included) countries too, where their barrels have to undergo official proof by a proofhouse. So their barrels have to conform to CIP minimum dimensions for .303 British barrels. The CIP dimensions are: minimum bore 7.70mm = .303", minimum groove 7.98mm = .314". If a .303 British marked and chambered barrel, even a custom one, does not meet these minimum diameters it will be rejected by the proofhouse, be it Liege, Suhl, Ferlach or London, and be sent back to the maker.
BTW, the maximum bullet diameter is 7.92mm = .312".
This loose fit, by todays standards, between minimum groove and maximum bullet diameter is a common problem not only with the .303, but with many others of the early smokeless miltary cartridges, f.i. the 6.5x53R Mannlicher, 6.5x54 M-Sch. At the time the dimensions were set, bullets were long and heavy with thin jackets, smokeless rifle powders were relatively fast burning. To keep pressures at bay, cartridge/ barrel designers often depended on the long, round nose bullets to slug up on firing.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: kuduae]
      #188492 - 25/08/11 05:39 AM

Those of you who have rotten accuracy from these guns should try shooting some FMJ's. Open-base leadcore FMJ's will "slug up" and obturate better than solid base softs. This is presented with the .303 somewhat at length in Labbett and Mead's excellent test on the ".303 Inch".

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
      #188523 - 25/08/11 02:36 PM

The importers of Ruger into Australia are also the importers of Federal ammunition.

If the rifle imported by this company does not shoot to a satisfactory standard with the factory ammunition imported by the same company, then there is obviously a problem and any self respecting importer will see the problem resolved.

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #188568 - 26/08/11 02:08 AM

The open-base is why Barnsness' article showed Nosler partitions shot well in a large groove diameter #4 rifle as well as the #1 he used in the test. He noted the groove diameter was .313" - which is smaller than the CIP standard shown above in kuduae's post.

I have a box of 156gr. blue-nose 6.5's that are a mere .263" in diameter, which falls right in line with that post noting many Euro bullets were undersized, long ago.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #188643 - 26/08/11 09:13 PM

I find that some of what has been put forward I think is off line. Not trying to be ofefensive so please excuse any bluntness in my post.

"The standards for rifle manufacturing were established in the production of, first, military, then commercial rifles. They are what they are. Appears Ruger has stayed within recognized standards and specifications for .303 rifles, at least as far as groove depth is concerned."

9.3X57 I have to disagree. We are not talking about a rifle made 100 or even 40 years ago and the ability to produce to closer tolerances, should in a modern sporting rifle, be observed.

"Military rifles are by necessity made to tolerances that no sporting rifle manufactuer, today at least, should follow."

"At one level I'd like to agree with you except this is an incorrect statement. Rifle specs are what they are. If originally established in the production of military rifles, then so it is. For Ruger to step outside of those standards would be the aberration, not accepted practice."

Sorry there 9.3 but to me, I believe you are off line with that statement. The No 1 is a modern sporting rifle and not a new, let alone old Military rifle and tolerances should be held tighter. Remembering that modern projectiles are not as likely to slug out to fill the grove.

"There is a standard size for the projectiles for the 303, it stands to reason the barrels should have been dimensioned accordingly."

"Mostly, I agree with you here as for any custom .303 that might be made. However, I believe it is fully acceptable for a modern maker to follow suit of the original design and manufacturing specs for the caliber in question. Where I would diverge is that if Ruger used a deep-grooved barrel, then went on to use some other NON-spec feature of boring {oversize bore/land diamter, radically different rifling forms, etc}, it would be wholly unacceptable."

Couple of things with the above. 1 we are talking about a factory rifle, not a custom rifle, and it should perform to certain standards acceptable of today. 2 Ruger have taken serious liberties with bore dimensions in the past. There version of the 7.62X39 wore a 308 barrel not a .303 barrel. So why not tighten the N01 barrel to .313.

"I think Ruger is making a good rifle as long as they stick to established design specs. If that makes for an "inaccurate" rifle, then so be it. That is what custom gunmakers are for. As for these rifles, I am still not sure what the problem is. Based on personal experience and the established material on the subject, I do not believe GROOVE depth of .315 alone is to blame for bad accuracy of new rifles. And...in fact, looking at many of the standards for accuracy of the older guns shooting the older calibers, find 3-inch 5-shot groups to be, well, dreary, but not outside the realm of "factory acceptable" with factory ammunition and considered acceptable by pretty much all makers, too. Want better than that? Get a custom rifle or shoot handloaded ammo. Or steer away from the No.1 Ruger itself...?"

Once again I find myself dissagreeing with some of the above. If Ruger where making a SMLE I would agree, however they are not, so an inaccurate rifle is not acceptable. Matter of fact my Mk5 Jungle Carbine and a prior SMLE both shot better groups with open sights, factory and handloads.

I tend to agree that the barrel to action fit is the most likely culprit followed by the stocking and then bedding and the grove depth least likely. I use that order based on what I have done to try and find the problem.

I take on board the advice to try FMJ's, only problem is they are not good for hunting. I will use handloads for hunting- unless a factory load shows it really does perform- however as I have said that can void the warranty and the factory rifle should be ale to shoot acceptable hunting groups with some factory ammo.

One thing that comes to mind. If a thou off the the lands can affect the accuraccy of a rifle to a large degree why would a barrel grove depth a 3 to 4 thou over size not be able to do the same? Remembering that not all rifle accuracy improves/degrades markedly with a projectile moved a thou towards or away from the lands.

The No1 has shown that more often than not it is a rifle that will shoot groups beter than 2" with any number of calibres. The design its self is not suspect and yes playing with the bedding may be required-as with any rifle- but the rifle needs to show some promis to start with.

Cheers

Greg

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: Rule303]
      #188651 - 26/08/11 10:57 PM

Greg:

As you say, I don't think you understand the relationship of lands to grooves in terms of accuracy.

Lands grip the bullet. If the lands are of proper dimension to adequately engrave the bullet and the barrel is otherwise true, the groove depth can be of somewhat "overbore" diameter and still produce a rifle that shoots well, until the lands wear. At the point of substantial land wear, the groove depth will make a difference more noticeably, with accuracy deteriorating quicker than if the groove depth was of bullet diameter.

Rifling FORM matters here as well, as I stated in earlier posts on this thread. Narrow lands wear quicker. And if they start off on the high side of diameter, all the worse.

Regardless, the point being made over and over again is that excessive groove depth of .002 is highly unlikely to result in poor accuracy ON ITS OWN.

And then again, what is "poor accuracy"?

The No.1 rifle is known to be at times a tricky rifle to make shoot well. They have that reputation and have since they were first made. Such groups as 3" for 5 shots at 100 yards aren't too uncommon, with load work and bedding attention addressing the desire for better groups. In that respect the design IS "suspect", just as is the design of any two-piece stocked rifle.

COULD Ruger have made a barrel to .311 or .312 or .313 diameter across the grooves?

I suppose they could have, but they didn't IN YOUR RIFLE'S CASE.

Is that alone sufficient to make the rifle unusable? No.

Does such boring stand outside the realm of normal for .303 rifles, military or commercial? No.

Now, to put it another way, you suggest a groove depth of .313. Why? Why not .312 or .311? Or .314?

Let me be clear. I do not know what the specification for production diameter for Ruger .303 barrels is. I sort of doubt it is .315 or we would have barrels on the high and low side of that, likely, depending on how many are made. Remember, rifles are not "made to a certain bore diameter". I think that is where you are missing the point. Every barrel made by a company is not necessarily "ON" with any variance resulting in the barrel being scrapped.

Barrels are made to a certain bore spec, plus or minus. So your rifle is .315. I suspect there are Ruger .303's that have .314 or .313 barrels also just as there are military rifle barrels that vary. At some measurement, the barrels would be scrapped. With military rifles that measurement was .3205. That is the point I was making long ago in this thread. .315 might not be ideal, but it likely falls within reasonable production standards set by Ruger. Barrels often fall outside the optimum and folks don't even know it, because accuracy doesn't show it, because the tolerance is not great enough to matter. And such is likely the case here.

You may have a "wide" barrel. Somebody else has a "narrow" barrel. What the exact tolerance for Ruger barrels is I do not know and I doubt they will tell you. And maybe the production run was so small all of them are .315, because .315 fell within the established, time-honored, established norms for production .303 barrels. Thus, I doubt the boring on your rifle falls outside accepted norm for factory production rifles. If you slug a bunch of gun barrels you will see just what I mean here. Just because a .30-06 is a ".308" doesn't mean it is...

I hope you are able to get the problems solved, and for your own peace of mind it would be nice if Ruger rebarreled the rifle for you, but will that solve the problems? Maybe, if the barrel is lame in some other way. The mere extra .002 of groove depth is highly unlikely to be the culprit.

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (26/08/11 11:04 PM)

Rule303
.416 member

#188747 - 28/08/11 07:15 PM

9.3X57

At the point of substantial land wear, the groove depth will make a difference more noticeably, with accuracy deteriorating quicker than if the groove depth was of bullet diameter.

This is about the only part I was not fully aware of. I understand the rest of what you are saying. In your previous post you spoke of Custom rifles. I was pointing out that to my mind Custom does not come into it as with modern technology there is no reason a company can not build to tighter tolerances than days of old. I used .313 as the largest commonly avaliable .303 projectile I know of is .312. Allow for machining tolerances and the bore still should not be overly tight for a .312 projectile.

I do agree that the grove depth should have minimal to nil effect however I am not aware of any definative study/experiments to prove this.

If the grove depth is greater than the projectile will fill- slug out to- then you will have gas cuting past the projectile in the gaps provided. If this happens and there is any inbalance of this gas or the crown is not spot on then accuraccy will suffer. I would venture that in most cases the projectile will slug out to fill the groves, solids and Barnes types will not.

I just found the - to me- oversize bore to be shoody workmanship in this day and age and Ruger have taken licednce with bore let alone grove depth befor. Yes I do know that you can slug any number of bores on any number of rifles in any given calibre and there will be differences as machining tolerances vary for a number of reasons.

I still think the main or only problem lies, as said, with other areas rather than the grove depth.

Yes the No1 can be finicky but a company still has a responsibility to ensure that a rifle will shoot to some degree. Now if Ruger are happy for their rifles to shoot bigger than 4 inch groups at 100mts off a rest with factory ammo then I feel that they should publis this. Off course they wont. Maybe explains why they do not provide targets shot with that rifle or make gaurantees like a few European makes. If a car staight from the factory will not steer straight it gets fixed.

I hope you are able to get the problems solved, and for your own peace of mind it would be nice if Ruger rebarreled the rifle for you, but will that solve the problems? Maybe, if the barrel is lame in some other way.

Thanks and I hope it gets fixed. I do not necassarily require the barrel to be replaced especialy if the problem lies elsewhere. The rifle may just need the barrel face and action face trued up a tad.

Cheers and thanks for your help and wishes.

Greg

9.3x57
.450 member

#188756 - 28/08/11 11:09 PM

Rule;

I'm not sure how easy it is to get any major work done overseas, but in shipping back guns to Ruger in the past I've found them very helpful in making amends.

I've had guns restocked and rebarreled by Ruger on warranty, and know of another {same caliber [.264] as the one I had rebarreled last year} that was also rebarreled for another fellow. It ook a little doing on my part but after making my case they have been good as regards customer service. I don't know how they would get yours fixed. Require return to USA?

One of my points was, and I think I'm correct here, that they have a "2-inch group at 50 yards" accuracy standard for all centerfires. I was told that by a Ruger rep years ago. If correct, makes for a hard sell to get a 3 or 4 inch 100 yard rifle scrapped. If I'm wrong or the standard has been changed you might have no problem. I think you are 100% correct as to why they do not include test targets.

One last thing; Rugers are my favorite modern rifles. They are very sturdy, soundly designed and as close to a working Mauser as a guy can get for cheap. I do, however, consider them "kit guns" and make mods to every one I buy, mostly accurizing. The No.1 is a different tomato, and might require different even more work, bored perfectly or not. Most frustratingly, some come off the line perfect, others, not.

Keep at Ruger and maybe if you can call direct to the company and explain the situation maybe they will get involved with your dealer/iporter and help?

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (28/08/11 11:10 PM)

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
      #188992 - 31/08/11 09:20 PM

Jeff. Well I finally got my Blued low rings for my Ruger #1 from the importers, replacing the high stainless ones sent with the rifle. It cost me postage but what the hell. I have used Sierra 150 grn, sierra 180 Grn and Woodleigh 174 round nose projectiles with extremely good accuracy. I am seating the projectiles now 30 thou from the lands, which still leaves the bullet well seated in the case, even the 150s. I am using ADI 2209 (equivelant to H4350) and I can get 2800fps with the 150s comfortably, with groups around 1-1 1/4 inches which suits me. I have a Zeiss 2.5-8x33 on the rifle with an extended rear mount which gives me plenty of clearance and eye relief. I pushed a lead ball through the barrel and it measured .313 which I think is spot on for this caliber. Two other rugers in 303 owned by friends also shoot very well with 150 grain bullets. I can not fathom why people are having trouble with their ruger #1 in 303.

Underlever. You say you have only fire five shots from your rifle. IMHO 5 rounds is not much to base accuracy on, especially if they were only one brand. I ould like to hear the results of several different brands and weights fired.

I am very happy with mine as it is a great light carry rifle with plenty of punch for the local deer and plenty accurate.

Wayne

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

Rule303
.416 member

#189055 - 01/09/11 08:47 PM

9.3X57

Thanks for that info. Hopefully I shall have some information one way or the other from the importer.

4" group at 100mts I would have to live with but that does show a bit of promis. 5 to 6" at 100 is a slightly different matter.

If I do not have any luck with the importer I will try some homeloads. If no luck with these I will contact Ruger direct.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Ruger No 1 303 ,now London proof [Re: Rule303]
      #189058 - 01/09/11 10:57 PM

Kuduae, you are not wrong about strict rules in the London Proof house, my "new" Mannlicher arrived in UK at Hollands 2 weeks ago, the London proof house will not accept it, three reasons, bolt will not go over Go Guage, bore diameter oversize by 0.06mm, groove diameter 0.263, undersize by 0.003" so I canīt get it proofed, not really arsed since I donīt intend to sell it and it has shot over 300 rounds with the 160 grain doing a 3 shot group at 100 yds of 5/8", but annoying. This with a custom Douglas XX barrel ! Most of you have probably heard about the problems at the London proof house in the last 18 months-2 years, Holland, Westley and Purdey having NEW actions and barrels destroyed by bulging in front of the chokes and a few chaps with older stuff going in for reproof being sent back blown barrels, I have been watching what is going on, apparently the London proof house changed the proof loads a while back in shotguns at least, they are trying to sort the problem but some chaps have lost quite a bit of money !

Edited by Mike_Bailey (02/09/11 07:39 AM)

.300 member

Re: Ruger No 1 303 ,now London proof [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #189153 - 03/09/11 03:50 PM

Just spent the morning down at the range with a couple of mates and my Ruger #1 in 303 for final load testing. Two things I have found out about this rifle. 1. It is very sensitive to the way it is held when shot. If I hold the fore end of the rifle with the back of my hand on the sand bag, it will shoot very well. If I just let the fore end rest on the sand bag and tuck my non trigger hand under the rear of the stock, the groups go to hell. (3"+)
2. It is very load sensitive. My best load and the one that I will be using is 45.5 grns Reloader 15 with a 150 grn Sierra set 40th off the lands. 3 shot groups average 1" with the best one going 1/2". 45grns of the same powder goes out to 3". 180 sierras with 42.5 grns R15 shoot 1 1/4" Ave. 43 grns of the same powder strings them 3 1/2". It does not like the 180 sierra RN.
It goes without saying, "These loads were safe in my Ruger #1, please work with caution.

Good luck.

Wayne

--------------------

TilleyMan
.333 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #189156 - 03/09/11 05:06 PM

OK, time for me to wade into this debate with some data from a first range trip with my Ruger No 1 .303 last weekend...

The action feels quite precise, and crisp when moving the lever... however it rattles a little when clicked home. Annoying.

Feels surprisingly light and very handy with a 22" barrel but because of this balances a little too much towards the butt.

Barrel appears to be very good quality... very smooth when pushing a patch through, and looking under a loupe at the muzzle the bore appears to have been lapped! My barrel slugged at .313" with a very consistent 'feel' as the lead slug made its way down. So far, so good...

Mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm in standard factory mounts (which are a little too far forward, may source some Talleys later).

I ran in the barrel with a one-shot then clean routine for the first 5 shots, then 3 shots and clean, then 5 shots and clean. Don't really know if this makes a difference, but the Ruger is my first brand-new rifle for a while and I thought I would do what most barrel manufacturers suggest.

I then bore sighted it and got it on paper at 50m using Remington 180gr Corelokt factory loads... then the first test at 100m. The first 3 shots 'walked' vertically about an inch apart... I deliberately didn't let the barrel cool and fired reasonably quickly. Fore end was held in a benchrest bag just in front of the action.

Adusted scope, let the barrel cool off, then fired two quick shots... then cool off a little, then two more. Both of these two shot strings landed within an inch of each other, with a flyer (probably me).

Time for some handloads!
150gr Hornady first... I tried 40.0gr and 41.0gr ADI 2206H, all loads lightly crimped into the cannelure. The latter load is one grain under max listed but no pressure indications. Max 42.0gr is listed at 2780fps in the ADI load data. The 41.0gr load was much more accurate, with the first three shots from a cold barrel grouping about 1.25" before opening up to 1.5" and then the final shot opening the group up to 2.5".

So far, all loads display varying degrees of vertical stringing... as the barrel heats up it generally prints each subsequent shot 1" away from the last.

I also tried out a few 215gr Woodleighs, using 39.0gr of ADI 2208 (chronied at 2110fps) but these wouldn't group at ALL. No idea why at present... bullet was seated to match OAL of an original MKVI Ball reference cartridge.

After the range trip I did some tests on what I had heard about the Ruger No 1's freebore.
Seated a Woodleigh 215gr bullet 3mm into a partially sized neck and chambered the dummy round.

When ejected I marked the neck to bullet relationship with a finepoint marker, and double checked it when it seemed to have just 6mm engagement! The degree of freebore is ridiculous, when a 215gr bullet is barely held by the case neck to reach the lands

I also tried a 180gr Corelokt seated 3mm into the neck but it didn't even reach the lands...

Given the extreme amount of freebore, I will lightly crimp all future loads into the cannelure to try and give the load some chance to 'develop a head of steam'... seemed to work with the 150gr Hornady loads.

So, early indications are that my Ruger No 1 .303 is reasonably accurate, with a groove diameter within expected dimensions. Chronic vertical stringing and 'walking' of shots as the barrel heated up seem to point to a bedding issue... too much upwards pressure between the barrel and the fore end? Not sure, but will start investigating this lead...

Overall, it was an enjoyable rifle to shoot... ideally it should have had a 24" barrel and MUCH less freebore

Quite a pleasant change to see fired .303 cases that weren't potbellied (ex-SMLE) or banana-shaped (ex-Martini Enfield)

Will keep you all posted on developments...

Edited by CptCurl (18/09/11 12:52 PM)

.300 member

Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: TilleyMan]
      #189157 - 03/09/11 06:16 PM

Tilleyman

Good photos and illustrations. When I first tried my 303 #1, it strung the shots upwards, but not as fast or high as yours. I took the forend off and could see where it was touching the action and the barrel. I little bit of fine work with 400grit paper and I have had no problems since. Keep in mind that the loads you are using were worked up in a SMLE Action which is a weaker rear locking action and nowhere near as strong as the Ruger. My loads in my last post are 1.5 grains above the listed maximimum in Nick Harvey's book. I worked up to this very carefully, and there is no signs of excess pressure or expansion. They ejected easily and then also slip back into the chamber without any problem. WORK UP TO THEM CAREFULLY. My rifle likes the bullets 40thou from the lands. I would also say the 150grn's extend about 2/3 of the way into the neck. I wish I knew how to put photos on here and I could do the same as you. I will be away for the next 5 weeks, so I will check in when I get back.

Cheers Wayne

--------------------

.300 member

Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: 450]
      #192207 - 20/10/11 07:00 PM

Tilleyman, I tried the 215 grain woodleighs and could not get them to group either. I seated them deep and seated them out 40th of the lands but no good. At this stage I have settled on the sierra 180grn with 42.5 grns of Rel 15 seated 40thou from the lands. This load shoots under 1 1/2" consistently. This load is .5 grn over the listed max for the SMLE action in the Alliant book. Approach with Caution. I have got some 174 grn woodleighs loaded with Rel 15 but have not got around to shooting them yet. I will let you know how they go.

Wayne

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#192226 - 21/10/11 02:20 AM

It appears the chamber dimensions are also quite standard. I would hope the chamber dimensions are not likewise militarily sloppy.

--------------------
Daryl

TilleyMan
.333 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #192254 - 21/10/11 01:06 PM

Quote:

It appears the chamber dimensions are also quite standard. I would hope the chamber dimensions are not likewise militarily sloppy.

Daryl, no the chamber seems quite tight... certainly nothing like the Martini-Enfield which used to produce profoundly 'pot-bellied' and banana-shaped fired cases

When running the fired cases from the Ruger No 1 through a FLS die, the shoulder is barely set back at all vs several mm of setback when resizing fired cases from a SMLE or ME.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: TilleyMan]
      #192279 - 22/10/11 02:17 AM

Just a general note abotu sizing rimmed and other cartridges. Be careful when sizing not to touch the shoulder unless you absolutely have to, to get them to re-chamber. Try sizing the case in the FL die so only 3/4ers of the neck is sized. That way, the shoudler will not be touched. If that fired and resized case chambers easily, then you only have to partial fl size - some call it neck sizing with a fl die.

The .303's very sloping sides will promote case stretching, which can be held to a mimimum with partical necks sizing. The cases don't stretch at the shoulder, they stretch at the web, each time they are fired if the shoulder does not fit the chamber properly.

In other words, if the shoulder is pushed back each time they are loaded, they will not last long before head separations occur.

The overly long bodies found in many military rifles was the reason for my hoping the Rugers had 'tighter' chambers. The throat means little.

If you want to crimp, any bullet can be crimped on the smooth portion of it's shank, if you use a Lee Factory Crimp die.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

#192717 - 28/10/11 07:43 PM

Well, to continue my saga with the Ruger No1 in 303. NIOA, the Australian importer of Ruger has recognised that I had a dud and has replaced it with a new No1 in 303. My local gun store, Cleavers, got sick of waiting for it so sent one of their own staff down the road to NIOA- abougt 20 mins each way- to pick it up. My LGS had aske NIOA to pick one with good timber on it. The stock is nice and does have some good figure in it. Now to see what it will do.

Bit of a shame I couldn't pick it up yesterday as I was at the range this morning.

.300 member

#192732 - 29/10/11 07:28 AM

Rule 303.

That is a great outcome, even though it has taken a lot of effort and time. Good on cleaver for helping out. Keep us informed on how this one goes as i am very interested.

Wayne

--------------------

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
      #193284 - 08/11/11 01:17 AM

Glad to hear they finally sorted out your Ruger No1. I did enquire as the the price of them in the UK and once I picked myself up off the floor quickly forgot the idea .

Hmmm I noticed a lot of comments about 303 cases and the strange shapes they assume when in chambers of some guns. Now I have no idea why such variations in 303 British chambers should occur but they sure do. I submit a photo of three 303 fired cases all fired in my rifles not the difference in the shoulder area:-

Hmmm thought I had some more. The middle case was fired in a new BSA manufactured Barrel I got from Mr Knibbs for a rebuild project on a BSA Model D sporter (P-14 based sporting rifle)The barrel was not only blacked but proofed. Seems it was taken off and sent to Parker's for Ball Burnishing and never re-fitted

As you can see it's so marked on the muzzle

The proof marks are from 1954.

The bore riding portion of this commercially cast 205 grain gas checked bullet measures 0.303-0.304" so the groove diameter of this ball burnished barrel is about 0.302"-0.303"

Anyway none of them show the pot bellied look I see described in the thread. Also I seem the recall that the rifling on the Lee Enfield was tapered being 0.0075" groove depth at the throat and 0.0055" deep at the muzzle. The problem I am having it finding the reference to this .

I also wonder why does SAMMI have to re-design old established cartridges like they do and make a mess of it and cause confusion by doing so?

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Edited by CptCurl (10/11/11 06:08 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Ruger No 1 303 [Re: Brithunter]
      #193293 - 08/11/11 03:13 AM

Brithunter - correction if I might, the bore diameter is .302" to .303". The groove diameter will probably be .312" or larger.

BTW - what is ball-burnishing? Is it pulling a 'button' through the bore to iron the lands - or something similar?

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 62331

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com