Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Browning Safari bolt Action Rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Browning Safari bolt Action Rifles
      #17048 - 23/07/04 06:16 AM

When were the browning bolt action safari rifles made in finland?What year were the salt wood stocks?Is there much collecter value in the rifles?Is the action a mauser?Is the belguim made rifles the most sought after?When did browning start makeing there rifles in Japan?Are all salt wood stocks bad?Do they all rust?Need some info on these questions,dont know who to ask?Any serial number info would be a great help......

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Browning Safari bolt Action Rifles [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #17051 - 23/07/04 06:47 AM

THe Browning "Salt Wood" debacle occurred in the late 1960's with an estimated 90 percent of all Browning firearms produced during 1967-69 being effected.

It's cause was a process sold to Browning by the Morten Salt Company in 1965 for speeding up the drying process of stock wood. The process had been used for drying furniture timber, and involved covering the wood with salt to leach out moisture. The salt was absorbed into the wood when it became liguid, and although the wood appeared to be dry, the salt naturally induced corrosion in the metal parts that it came into contact with.

Because of a shortage of highly figured Walnut in Europe, large amounts of this wood was shipped to Belgium for use primarily on high grade superposed shotguns.

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: Browning Safari bolt Action Rifles [Re: 470Rigby]
      #17060 - 23/07/04 09:04 AM

What would be the thing to do if one found a decent salt wood rifle that was in excellent shape?Restock or fiberglass bed & free float barrel?Would restocking be worth while?Do the actions & barrels make good custom rifles?Thanks for the help.

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Browning Safari bolt Action Rifles [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #17089 - 23/07/04 11:58 AM

While I have no experiene withe these stocks it really should not be a big deal to seal them so that no salts could leech through to the metal parts..........provided that the damage had not already been done & the barrel/ action were not already rusted beyond repair. A thin layes of bedding compound through the barrel channel & back of action would seal teh wood there. The magazine area could be sealed with some marine grade polyurethane. All contact points would then be covered.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Browning Safari bolt Action Rifles [Re: IronBuck]
      #17129 - 24/07/04 10:35 AM

I would think that since these rifles were put in their stocks in the late 60's-early 70's, the damage has been done for the most part, so I don't think sealing the wood would help a whole lot.

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: Browning Safari bolt Action Rifles [Re: DPhillips]
      #17290 - 27/07/04 11:49 PM

The rifle i was refering to had a very small spot or two that had rust and the rest of the metal was fine.I was wondering if the rifle might have been hunted in the rain to cause the couple spots,they were not real bad,Maybe the stock is not a saltwood since the whole bottom metal was not crusted up with rust?Just didnt know what to look for...the older brownings seem to be nice rifles,I just never have seen one built into a custom rifle,the action is crf and looks to be just like a mauser,are the older guns in general better built than current production in all the major factory offerings.........

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3035

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com