Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting Lagopus Lagopus (ptarmigan) in Norway's mountains

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

NitroExpress.com eMagazine >> Articles & Online Books

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Hunting Lagopus Lagopus (ptarmigan) in Norway's mountains
      #167693 - 13/09/10 06:39 PM

Hunting Lagopus lagopus in Norway

by ErikD

Ptarmigan grouse hunting in Norway's mountains

As usual here in Norway, the hunting season for grouse started on the 10th of september, and it was thus time for me to drive up to the mountians to spend a long weekend with my wifes family hunting these birds. The grouse we hunt is called "Rype" in Norwegian, "Ptarmigan" in English, and "Lagoopus lagopus" in Latin. We use English Pointers to hunt these grouse, although many other people here in Norway use the various Setter races, and some use German Shorthaired or Wirehaired Pointers.

This hunting is often quite hard walking, as the terrain can be steep in some places, and we are out all day. Thus, the backpack with gear, ammo, a couple of liters of water, and food for both ourselves and the dogs can end up quite heavy. As the weather can change quickly high up in the mountains, it is important to bring warm clothing and preferably a sack of some sort to crawl inside to sleep or seek shelter in if needed, even if the day starts out warm and with sunshine.

Myself, with my dog Tiko on the right, and my aunts dog Ciss on the left. I borrowed Ciss for the weekend:

Collecting a few birds I shot over Ciss:

A few of the many sheep that wander around in the mountains to fatten up. They are usually brought in by the owners in mid september:

Having a snooze during our midday break:

That mornings bag, which is a decent amount for this type of hunting:

My wife, and the dogs having a nap. Even though my wife is 4 months pregnant, she still toughed it out and joined me to go hunting:

The weather changes quickly, and the clouds rolled in the next day:

My father in law, who was a bit depressed after missing quite a few shots... Luckily, he got a couple of birds shortly after, and his honor was restored!

My Father in law together with his English Setter; Maya:

All in all, it was a nice few days with lots of walking, a bit of shooting, and good fun with the dogs.

Erik

Join in the discussion thread here.

(Link to thread added to fb)(added to ezine)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nickudu
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
Re: Hunting Lagopus Lagopus (ptarmigan) in Norway's mountains [Re: NitroX]
      #167699 - 13/09/10 08:56 PM

Delightful! Wonderful pictures. Thank You, Erik

ErikDAdministrator
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Norway
Re: Hunting Lagopus Lagopus (ptarmigan) in Norway's mountains [Re: Nickudu]
      #167723 - 14/09/10 04:47 AM

Thanks Nick. It's from a few years ago actually. I'd love to be up in the mountains doing the same right now, but unfortunately some broken ribs are prohibitting me from doing so. I'll just have to wait till next year.

--------------------

Cut along dotted line, discard top part.

ErikDAdministrator
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Norway
Another Lagopus Lagopus report [Re: ErikD]
      #167730 - 14/09/10 07:56 AM

A copy from another previous report:

-------------------------------------

As usual in the beginning of September, except for last year due to an ankle injury, we spent a few days up in the mountains together with my wifes family hunting grouse.

As I had been rid of my crutches for about 1 1/2 months, we decided to give it a try, even though we knew I wouldn't be able to walk for very long. A couple of weeks before going up to the mountains, I had tried walking for an hour in the forest, but found that my other hunting boots did not give my ankle the support it needed, resulting in me having to lay in bed the day after. So I did a bit of searching, and found a pair of stiffer boots that would suit my current needs. A pair of Lowa "Hunter GTX TF" (a military version of the Lowa "Sheephunter"). These boots made a big difference from the first time I went out walking with them, and have enabled me to walk for longer without the pain getting too bad. They are definitely a worthwhile investment.

I was able to walk for 2 hours the first day up in the mountains, and 3 hours the next day before the pain put a stop to the fun. Which I'm actually quite pleased with. Some of you might recall that my English Pointer "Tiko" broke his leg last year (shortly before I broke mine only 50 or so meters away from where he broke his!). It is now obvious that he will not return to his former self, and after the couple of hours the first day, he was limping on 3 legs. So he stayed at home on the second day.

The number of birds we saw was unusually low this year, and of the handful we shot, all were adults. This was very strange, as usually at least half would be young birds.

As we found out the last evening from a local, there had been a sudden short period with snow in mid-June, which killed all the fledglings in that area.

All in all, I shot 4 grouse these 2 days, which is far less than we have usually shot during 2 days in the past.

So it's a good thing that we only shot a few. Hopefully not too many will have been shot by those who hunted there after us, leaving enough birds to build up the numbers again next spring.

I've always enjoyed being up above the tree level, where you can see "forever". Both when hunting, or just for hiking and skiing. So despite painful ankles, limping dogs and few birds, we had a very good time and hope to come back stronger next year.

Me with one of the 3 grouse I shot on the second day. This one was unfortunately shot from a bit too close. So there wasn't much more then some skin and feathers left...

Erik

--------------------

Cut along dotted line, discard top part.

mikeh416RigbyAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Another Lagopus Lagopus report [Re: ErikD]
      #170198 - 25/10/10 02:48 AM

The landscape reminds me of areas in far Northern Quebec where I've hunted Caribou several times, although it looks like the Caribou areas I've hunted had many more lakes, bogs, and streams.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7456

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com