Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mini Meat-eater Baiting Safari

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
Mini Meat-eater Baiting Safari
      #170 - 30/12/02 12:17 AM

Here's an idea I got recently from watching some safari videos.

Not being able to stretch for a lion hunt, I want to put some lion baiting techniques to the test on the local foxes.

For baiting lions, the intrepid PH and client acquire a carcass or 10 and hang them from a tree. High enough that hyaenas can't reach it, but low enough a lion or lioness can stretch up and reach it.

They build a hide nearby from local materials in a hopefully downwind direction.

One technique utilised is to drag a carcass or preferably a half carcass, guts etc around on the roads, tracks so plenty of tasty scent is spread around to attract the prey.

My idea for a mini-meat eater baiting safari is to obtain some kangaroo guts (I have heard they make good 375 practice). Rope them plus a leg to the back of a quad bike and then proceed to drag them around the hills making a nice scent trail. Hang a leg from a tree, just low enough for a fox to reach.

What do you think? Has it been tried before? Will it work? What DGR (dangerous game rifle) is recommended? What load? If the dangerous meat-eater is only wounded, what do you do if he charges!!! ?

Or should the little men in white coats call on me and offer me free accommodation in a nicely insulated and padded room?

Nitro

First Previous 2-9 of 9 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Not a bad idea Nitro,

I'll set up a piece of how they put out the whole thing with the hide and all of it and post it if the guys is interested.Will do both lion and leopard.

The foxes sounds like good fun and I'll use my .243 or a 223 or similar callibre.

Good idea when am I invited?????????????????????????

Bigfive

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

BF

Of course you are invited. Will use my .222 Remington or my CZ .22 Magnum. Just a bit of fun.

If it works (or not) I will also give it a try in dingo country to the North. Have never shot a dingo and work like to add a nice yellow skin to my game room. The closest I have got is a white dingo in the Northern Territory near the Gulf of Carpentaria. We didin't shoot as the dog appeared so tame that we thought it may be a pet dog of the local Aborigines. Also looked for dingos on a sheep property in the Northern Flinders Ranges but when they're in a property of 250 square kilometres, there is a lot of country to hid in.

When I was in the Czech Republic I saw a lot of foxes in shoulder mounts from around 1900. Very unusual and funny. I want to get some done like this too, instead of just having a skin. Also saw a rug made from fox skins which was about 20 feet in diameter. That's a lot of foxes.

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Nitro,

The big rug you saw in Czech is called a "karos" here but we usually make them with 8-12 impala skins.I had one over my bed as little boy but as all good things it got old over the years and I had to get rid of it.

BF

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

I find electric caller of rabbit distress works just has well........and hoping it works well for yotes.I will find out oct in KS....dragging meat and hanging it from a tree...just too too much like work

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Redbeard

Yes it is an usual way of doing it> I'm going to try it just for fun. In Australia we have some very cheap little tin fox "whistles" which give a call similar to a rabbit in distress. Thats the usual way to bring them in.

Not sure if they work on dingoes though. Never heard of them being used effectively on dingoes.

BigFive

I found a picture of the fox rug. Will scan it and post it.

I wonder if it works the same way as a bear rug in front of a fire place ????

Recommend Delete Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Nitro,

frankly i don't care what rug it is,I only worry who's ontop of it with me infront of that fireplace....................................................................

Recommend Delete Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Nitro,

Maybe we can work in a Black Backed Jackal for you when you are here??They make very nice trophies.........

Bigfive

Recommend Delete Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Hey that is an idea!

I will have to go into customs and see what they allow into this country. It can be quite restrictive.

I am putting together a list right now and you can see whats available in your area and what you have a quota for. Will email it to you soon.

I'm quite interested in some of the smaller beasties if they are available and we chance on them - klipspringer, duiker (I already have a common duiker), grysbok etc. Need to research which ones.

Jackal would be nice. What calibre would you use for it? A 30-06 or 375 would damage the skin too much. Perhaps a .22 Magnum or similar?

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1553

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com