Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: So why do I want a Mauser?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: Paul]
      #161332 - 03/06/10 12:37 AM

B-square had/has mounts that fit in the rear military sight base for foreward mounting scopes in Jeff Cooper's favourite location. Thus mounted, the clip-ears are there for rapid loading using 5-shot military clips.

I shoot most of my CF guns single shot when hunting myself - at most, an extra round in the mag. well. The clip-fed rim-fire gopher guns are different, of course. Centre-fire gopher guns are single shots only.

I've never needed a barrage of lead to kill a deer, moose or bear - but have seen with other people that merely having a full mag. available results in multiple shots with poor shooting and hitting poorly if at all.

Even when guiding, bolt closed on an empty chamber & at most, 2 rounds in the mag., except when carrying a lever gun - then usually full mag-tube for some odd reason. Never needed them, and that should have been a lesson to me.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: CptCurl]
      #161340 - 03/06/10 03:20 AM

Some guys lost a decade around the '70s or '80s
;-)

Cut him some slack Curl!

Quote:

Quote:

Designed in 1898, it's now 102 years old

Steve, do the math:

2010 - 1898 = 112

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: tinker]
      #161346 - 03/06/10 06:36 AM

This could bring a snicker / two. When I 16 my father for a birthday present bought me a Geha 98 Mauser in 16 gau., which I still have. This was my introduction to the Mauser and I have remained a fan ever since (some 50+ years). I don't hunt or shoot much any more but still buy on occassion - if the price is right / the receiver hasn't played with / has a makers name, usually need all three criteria before my interest peeks. Have of lately been accumullating Mauser parts & pieces till I have enough to build a "custom". Have other guns with different actions but the Mauser is still my # 1 choice. --- John303.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: CptCurl]
      #161367 - 03/06/10 03:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Designed in 1898, it's now 102 years old

Steve, do the math:

2010 - 1898 = 112

Oh, by the way, I entirely agree about the superiority of Mauser's design.

Curl

2010-1897 = 113 year old design.

The mauser M98 action was perfected in 1897 already...but was introduced to the Germany army in

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: eagle27]
      #161368 - 03/06/10 03:43 PM

I completely agree. I have some of the English guns and early GH's built on original Mauser actions and of course they're great guns. But no rifle feels as good to me as an original Oberndorf Type B sporter (or a prewar .22), preferably one that is a little worn.

CWJ1898
.275 member

Reged: 28/01/09
Loc: LA, USA
      #161955 - 12/06/10 05:51 AM

GK,
Wondered about the Sauers and Blasers myself and after selling them all off I have only two push feeds one of which is the Mauser M03 made by Blaser, the other a Sako. I must admit they are well made and work well but do not have the aura of an Oberndorf Mauser sporting rifle. I have found the same strange attraction among friends on these current or recent production rifles and it still mystifies me how one can look down their nose at an Original Mauser Sporter. My assumption is that they immediately associate them with the G-98 or K-98 (both wonderful rifles in their own right) and think - military surplus. Most of the uninformed assume you are talking about a sporterized military rifle and are immediately turned off by it. Having shown legions over the years what a true Mauser sporting rifle is they normally fall quickly in line with the rest of us but then will still purchase a new push feed rifle due to the "complications" associated with scope mounting.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: CWJ1898]
      #161963 - 12/06/10 10:31 AM

M98 Mausers don't have to be controlled round feed every time. I've never had a problem with either standard or magnum sporterized Mausers, doing some 'extractor' work to allow them to close over a chambered round. Angles and polish has worked every time.

Simply throw a round in and close the bolt - as all Mausers should be 'fixed' in my humble opinion. They still control round feed from the magazine.

A rifle can be carried with a full mag, and if desired, top round pushed down with another thrown into the chamber and close the bolt, for a 5+ 1 at ready.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: DarylS]
      #162426 - 20/06/10 05:29 PM

Bnagel, don't do it. I have the perfect remedy for this horrid disease. Lack of funds hehe. I am, after all these years just starting to take an interest in the old Mausers and Steyrs and still have the old SMLE fetish.

GoneShootin
.224 member

Reged: 18/07/07
Loc: Sydney Australia
      #166265 - 16/08/10 12:05 AM

Quote:

How do you strip bolts with the streamlined FN/PH/Zastava shrouds?

The striker should have a hole in them, which will be exposed when it is cocked. Use a pin like one from a pop rivett, and then pull the bolt out, this will hold the striker back so you can push the plunger and unscrew like a military one.

Quote:

A rifle can be carried with a full mag, and if desired, top round pushed down with another thrown into the chamber and close the bolt, for a 5+ 1 at ready.

You can do it with an unmodified extractor, it involves pushing hard on the middle of the extractor as you turn the bolt, then it will close with no problems.

Edited by GoneShootin (16/08/10 12:13 AM)

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #167296 - 06/09/10 05:42 AM

Here are some I have made for myself and for family members.
(Sorry about the vent pads on some. They were what was demanded by the man who owns them)

Some are not finished at the time of the photography. Uncheckered and some unengraved, but still coming along nicely.
Some are finished and some even "well hunted"

Edited by CptCurl (10/09/10 08:58 PM)

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: szihn]
      #167401 - 08/09/10 10:20 AM

szihm they are some good looking rifles there. Some of the timber in those stocks looks superb.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: szihn]
      #167405 - 08/09/10 11:52 AM

Steve,

All very nice modern classic Mausers. Very nice.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

RigbyUser
.275 member

Reged: 23/11/08
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: So why do I want a Mauser? [Re: NitroX]
      #169728 - 17/10/10 01:29 AM

Mausers generally feel better and properly built are wonderfully accurate, maybe not for modern benchrest standard, but certainly more than adequate for hunting, even varminting.

The controlled round feature and that wonderful feel of glass hard surfaces make them quite special.

Most modern actions are very strong, can be smooth ala Sako 85, Sauer 202 etc but they're not M98's.

If you're a serious hunter and can settle for standard calibers, the M98 is the "ducks guts", if you need an Ultra Mag or something else inanely over the top settle for a Rem 700 or modern built equivalent.

You want a Mauser because it's still the best "hunting" action money can buy. Further, I doubt anything (maybe a Mannlicher) feels as good to work. Done properly nothing is as reliable and as useable as a Mauser 98, buy them, convert them, look after them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26293

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com