Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Buff, Bulls and Boars

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
MickGibbo
.224 member

Reged: 13/11/09
Loc: Sutherland, NSW, Australia
Buff, Bulls and Boars
      #169113 - 07/10/10 04:09 PM

Been a while between posts but I've been flat out hunting. Have a few reports to catch up on but will get this one out first.

Just got back from 8 days up NT and to say we had an excellent trip was an understatement, it was non stop action packed hunting with a bit of everything along the way. The 375 Ruger made light work of all the game it was presented with and most animals went down to a single shot. I ended up running 300gr Barnes TSX doing 2550fps and they were absolute dynamite, I couldn't have asked for any more.

I'm still getting a full article together but this is a brief run down of the trip. I managed a heap of video and pictures so still working my way through it.

The first day saw us right in the thick of it with 3 Buffalo taken 1 bull by me and 2 by Lee one young and one mature. It was a relief to have connected on a nice bull from the start and made for a nice exploratory 7 days after that looking for new and exciting grounds. Unfortunately the spot where I got my bull had been mustered and had 200 taken off it so will go a bit earlier next time. I put the game camera on the carcass and all I can say is over 4 days the video footage was insane with monster boars and sows ripping it to pieces.

The next few days was spent, fishing, exploring and rolling scrub bulls where I managed to take 3 mature bulls and 2 young ones for baits. Unfortunately the barra had shut down when we were there but I did manage a bull shark that was cruising the surface.

After that we put our attention back on the buff, pigs and deer and I managed to roll a young bull buff and a trophy pig whist I was in the middle of taking a slash. In that time we did manage to find an insane buff creek that will have a majority of my attention next year. It was non stop up close and personal hunting in this creek with 10m contacts common over the 1.5kms that we walked. We managed to see and photograph 8 buff in this small strip and moved a very big bull out of its bed as well, which was a very adrenaline filled moment. I loved every bit of the tight big game hunting and was a memorable hunt.

The pig went 30 douglas had only 2 top molars left so wanted to get him on the wall, he had clean ears as well so that was suprising and was a very old pig which is rare for the parts I took him, he had avoided a heap of hunters thats for sure.

Unfortunately they wouldnt ship my pig cape home (well they checked it in and then I find out at Sydney it didn't make it frozen) so I am on the look out for a ginger one like in the shots, I dont imagine its going to be too easy to come by unfortunately, but I had mine frozen and it thawed in the temps before it got into the plane unfortunately and they must have bust the packaging. The rest of the bone got rescued by a mate up there thankfully. Stoked to get a bull down thats representative and now we can go back whenever we want after getting plenty of connections willing to have us there, so I have the bench mark now for future trips. This trip was one to remember and for the price of a ticket one that I plan on doing time after time.

Edited by MickGibbo (07/10/10 04:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Buff, Bulls and Boars [Re: MickGibbo]
      #169116 - 07/10/10 04:46 PM

Bloody Rippa MickGibbo, well done.....

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Buff, Bulls and Boars [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #169117 - 07/10/10 06:06 PM

Too deadly, mate. Good to meet you, too.

MickGibbo
.224 member

Re: Buff, Bulls and Boars [Re: Ben]
      #169122 - 07/10/10 09:02 PM

Cheers for the comments fellas, Ben still cant beleive our meeting mate has to be once in a million. Look forward to hearing how you guys went.

Here is some game camera footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVrbW617PIY

Edited by MickGibbo (07/10/10 09:03 PM)

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #169125 - 07/10/10 10:23 PM

Cool footage, Mick. How long before the carcass got hit? My wins can be seen in the single shots and combination guns forum here, on page 2 of the thread titled: "My Adventure with Ruger No. 1 in .450/.400 3" NE". Cheers, Ben

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Buff, Bulls and Boars [Re: Ben]
      #169127 - 07/10/10 10:45 PM

Nice shots on #3 and #4 from what I can make out. Looks like country is till a bit wet to aggregate game and are any wildfowl coming in?

MickGibbo
.224 member

Re: Buff, Bulls and Boars [Re: kamilaroi]
      #169151 - 08/10/10 09:44 AM

Kamilaroi the water fowl were on the main wet area we found but not thick, I did see a heap of magpie geese. The locals are calling an early wet and we got a few big showers when we were there.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #169321 - 11/10/10 02:52 AM

Mick

Nice buffalo bull there and the boars are great.

Looks like a fun hunt.

What general area were you hunting?

You mention:

"After that we put our attention back on the buff, pigs and deer ..."

What deer were in the area? Rusa? Or?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Buff, Bulls and Boars [Re: NitroX]
      #169322 - 11/10/10 02:54 AM

Watched the video. Lots of piggies on the carcase indeed.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Buff, Bulls and Boars [Re: NitroX]
      #169332 - 11/10/10 03:57 AM

Nice one Gibbo as per my email,been busy with my mate all week...the Kiwi got his first sambar yesterday evening and we are heading out again soon.

MickGibbo
.224 member

Re: Buff, Bulls and Boars [Re: gryphon]
      #169348 - 11/10/10 11:38 AM

Thanks for the comments it was a good fun hunt that's for sure, the area was the Daly river and the deer that were there were Chital but very hard to get on with the wallabies in plague proportions.

Gryphon congrats to you and your mate on getting his first sambar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3349

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com