Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Armor International Mauser 98????

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
thefinegunmaker
.224 member

Reged: 21/02/04
Loc: Southern Wisconsin
Armor International Mauser 98????
      #10578 - 02/03/04 07:25 AM

Hey guys

Does anyone have any experience with the M98 style barreled action available from Alex Imports? Does anybody else sell these? Anyone seen these yet? They claim they are interchangeable with other 98 parts. It's supposed to be a new Belgin manufacture 98 with dovetails for rings on top. What kind of rings fit these?

gunmaker

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Armor International Mauser 98???? [Re: thefinegunmaker]
      #12684 - 28/03/04 02:24 PM

Alex imports does not suffer from a very good reputation from the folks that talk to me...so I would be cautious and do my homework...

thefinegunmaker
.224 member

Re: Armor International Mauser 98???? [Re: atkinson6]
      #12735 - 29/03/04 05:22 AM

Ray
Thanks for the reply.

I ordered a 98 copy from Alex Imports thinking it would be a standard FN action. BOY WAS I SURPRISED. The machine work was of lesser quality than the imported stuff you see at Walmart. Instead of being a standard round top receiver it was a very short height double square bridge design. A very deep .750" dovetail was cut partially along the front of the rec ring bridge, and it looked like the ring placement would be too far back almost over the ejection port.

Since I posted the origional question I've had back surgery for a hernaited disk and am now 4 days post op. At least my leg and foot isn't on fire any more. I arrived on this board because I've been off work for two months and haven't been able to do much more than posting a few messages here. My intent of ordering the 98 distorted clone was to speed the process of building this rifle by trying to eliminate some metalsmithing time. The time it would have taken to remachine and polish the clone 98 would probably equal doing an 09 Argentine 98 right the first time. I just haven't found any 09's for sale at reasonable cost. Any ideas here?

I shipped the clone 98 back to Alex Imports and he should receive it early this week. I hope my check comes back without incident. I was fishing for info here about these clones thinking I might have received a lemon. The more I looked at the clone the more I had to think it was just the level of quality I got for the money I paid.

Now I'm looking for a quality military 98 that hasen't been already customized or "lightly pitted" as so many advertise.

gunmaker

Hauptjäger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Hilo, Hawaii
      #15559 - 05/06/04 02:35 PM

thefinegunmaker,

I hear you. The market is flooded with WWII German 98’s and most are nicely price. However, as you say the trouble is finding a “good” one that will not eat up your time is reworking the action into a fine sporter. The trouble I have run into, is finding one that was made early enough to be of high quality yet not so old and mistreated that it is rust pitted below the wood line. Most sellers of such weapons are not willing to let me look at the underside of the action. My brother-in-law tells me that the gun shows around Alexandra, Virginia are flooded with K98’s still packed in grease… And yet I’m back to my original problem. Where do you find a 98 that was made early enough to be of high quality (like a DWM ‘09 Argentine) yet not so old and mistreated that it is rust pitted below the wood line? Any thoughts?

--------------------
To a point you can never have too much horsepower!

Hauptjager

thefinegunmaker
.224 member

Re: Armor International Mauser 98???? [Re: Hauptjäger]
      #15591 - 07/06/04 01:34 AM

I bought a few VZ-24's from a little ad in "Gun List". They are marked 1938 on the rec.ring. They are in very good condition and the machine work is the same level of quality as my DWM 09's but the VZ's lack the hinged floorplate. The K98's I've seen do not have the same quality finish as the 09's and VZ's. I don't know if this is just the lack of polishing or inferior machining to start with.

gunmaker

Hauptjäger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Hilo, Hawaii
      #15598 - 07/06/04 12:20 PM

Gunmaker,
About your VZ-24’s were they made in Germany for the Czech army or are they made by Bruno? I guess what I’m getting at is that I’m looking for a good action to build a 9.3x64. As I stated before cost is an issue. I have seen VZ-24’s holeselling for about $79. However I like to see what it is I’m getting… I think the problem with the K98’s is that anything made much after 38/39 is true war production and thus would not have the “quality finish” for my purpose. I would love a nice DWM 09… but who wouldn’t. At this point and time the selection is more of an issue of want vs. what I can afford.

Another thought is I have seen a large number of Husqvarna hunting rifles in 9.3x57. I wonder, is enough room for the 64mm round? Any thoughts you would have would be great.

--------------------
To a point you can never have too much horsepower!

Hauptjager

thefinegunmaker
.224 member

Re: Armor International Mauser 98???? [Re: Hauptjäger]
      #16930 - 20/07/04 08:21 AM

Sorry the reply took forever.

The VZ-24's I bought were made by CZ/Brno.

As for rebarreling to something bigger, I have no problem with 338 Win Mag sized cases on standard 98's provided they have adequate heat treating.

gunmaker

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2700

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com