Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How about those Blasers?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
How about those Blasers?
      #14651 - 11/05/04 10:15 PM

I looked at the Safari D/R, it looked nice to me, but what do I know? What do you guy's think of them. I realise their not in line with tradition, but a decent Brit might just be a bit out of my reach..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: How about those Blasers? [Re: 450Dakota]
      #14659 - 12/05/04 01:04 AM

I assume you are speaking of the Blaser S2 double rifle.

From all reports they shoot well. They are nontraditional in look and feel. They have that weird safety/cocking piece thing which some shooters find slow and cumbersome. It's easy to put a scope on one if that interests you. The barrels have a shroud over them which could interfere with quick reloading in a dangerous game situation. Personally I think there are better options out there for $8K, but your view may differ.

450Dakota
.300 member

Re: How about those Blasers? [Re: 500grains]
      #14664 - 12/05/04 01:52 AM

500grains.. Yes, I am talking about the S2 Double Rifle.. Yours are the kind of opinions I'm looking for. I want to hear the good, the bad, the ugly, the other options.. I have read that they have a unique cocking/safety system, but had not heard about being cumbersome. Are they reliable? are they strong? what are your sugestions... Keep those comments coming boy's and girls, what the hell, thats what these forums are for. No flaming please 450

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #14667 - 12/05/04 03:32 AM

I think the S2 is strong, and it has not really been around long enough to judge reliability. But generally Sig/Blaser products are reliable so I would not be too concerned about that.

I grew up shooting a SxS shotgun, and I do best with a double rifle that works the same way. That includes traditional safety, top lever, 2 triggers. I don't want a scope or a bunch of leaf sights that would just confuse me. Nor do I want the long-travel, somewhat hard to push safety/cocking piece of an S2 or on the Krieghoff. But that is just my personal opinion. Others do not mind it.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #14672 - 12/05/04 05:43 AM

I have much the same opinion as 500grains.

Now I will freely admit that my experience has only been handling a few at shows, I've not shot one. I've noticed with Blazers that either people love them or they hate them. I'm not partial to their looks, same with their single shot rifles. But others swear by them. It did not feel good in my hands the way a double rifle should, but having the adjustable regulation might be handy. For a double I prefer something more traditional.

I think CCHunter has one and loves it, so I hope he posts and can give you an owners perspective.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #14673 - 12/05/04 07:37 AM

PM CCHunter. He's just bought one a few months ago. Do a search as he's posted about it on these pages.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: How about those Blasers? [Re: 475Guy]
      #14674 - 12/05/04 08:42 AM

Sure I love it....

For me it has perfect balance, much better than the others I tried at shows. Krieghoff was ok in my hands, Merkel was horrible for me!

Then about my shooting experience:

Recoil is very accaptable, even smaller friends say the same. Built in Kick Stop and weight at over 5 Kgs helps.

Saftey - much argued issue. I like it, you know that the gun is at total safe. Since I had the same at a drilling from Blaser (D99) I am used to it and likes it.

Accuracy. 50 meters(55 yards) 2 shots, right/left with scope 13 mm (less than 1 inch), 2 shots, right/left open sights 32 mm (just over 1 inch) - All 4 shots 47 mm (less than 2 inch). Can it be better??????

Traditional? No but like to go other ways than most people. If something fits me good I use it otherwise not

Feel free to watch my video http://cchunter.se/470ne.wmv

--------------------

Christer Hansson

450Dakota
.300 member

#14684 - 12/05/04 09:39 PM

Hmmm, Whats the options for this price range?.. I must admit I was hopeing for a few more responses....450

Tom_Bigbore
.224 member

Reged: 16/01/04
Loc: Germany
      #14688 - 13/05/04 12:23 AM

Hi,
check that thread, you might have it for much less than 8k.

btw. they are very reliable, strong and you can regulate yourself for the ammo you choose. the safety cock system is wat it says, you wear a safe rifle and just push the button to cock. It is like everything in life, a matter of practice and personal preference.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=doubles&Number=13879&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post14594

Spring
.300 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Georgia
      #14693 - 13/05/04 01:48 AM

Here's some more discussion of the S2:

Blaser S2

More S2

Still more

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: How about those Blasers? [Re: Tom_Bigbore]
      #14717 - 13/05/04 11:15 PM

$8,000 for a Blaser sounds like a great price. If I remember some discussions on that other forum were "touting" it as going to cost $20,000 or even more. No wonder they were worried, it was going to undercut some prices seriously.

An off the shelf Blaser with the ability to scope, add barrels, or probably even a set of shotgun barrels. Plus allow re-regulation.

Sounds like something serious at least to look at.

Hey Christer when are you going to bring it down under for me to have a look at?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: How about those Blasers? [Re: NitroX]
      #14718 - 13/05/04 11:33 PM

More NE Links

Double of the Day - A bit of controversary

Finally I can join the club

470 NE - My new double

Blaser S2

Blaser S2 Safari Double Rifle

First accuacy test with my double rifle

Blaser web site

Blaser web site pages for S2 Double Rifle

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

450Dakota
.300 member

Re: How about those Blasers? [Re: NitroX]
      #14723 - 14/05/04 12:46 AM

Thanks Guy's, now thats what I call joining in!! All the information and opinions were very valuable tools. Between Spring and NitroX information provided. The Blaser is off the list. I loved the look of the Lux, but the hooded chambers and lock up system were just way too much.. I'll keep looking.......450

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #14735 - 14/05/04 04:51 AM

I played with one a bit on the range that a client had, and I decided I wanted no part of them...I was not impressed in the least...

500NE
.224 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Vienna, Austria
Re: How about those Blasers? [Re: cchunter]
      #16909 - 20/07/04 02:16 AM

Hi CC,

Didn't you initially order your S2 in .416/500?
I'm a little confused about the .470 now...

Would be nice to get a little background info!

BTW: It might be that we're having a joint acquaintance?
I meet Bastiaan Huits in June when visiting my girlfriend in Holland! Great guy & I did enjoy his trophy collection!

Regards,
500NE

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
Re: How about those Blasers? [Re: 500NE]
      #16925 - 20/07/04 07:04 AM

I tried one at the Vegas show in January. At the time they were $7700 but since then the dollar has dropped against the Euro and I imagine they are in the $10,000 range now.

Feel: They have a well designed stock and are a bit lighter weight than the other European guns. They say they saved weight by eliminating the automatic ejectors and by designing the secondary cocking mechanism. How this can be considered "safe" is a bit beyond me. For those who do not know how they work, you slide in the shells and close the gun as usual. In normal d ubles the gun could either be fired now or after the automatic tang safety is slid forward. That is NOT true of this gun. After closing the gun, you must push a device forward in the normal tang safety area in order to cock the gun . This makes a very slow Dangerous Game Gun. Unfortunately, it also makes a very stupid dangerous game gun. The Searcy is quicker and weighs the same WITH auto ejectors. The Searcy does not have the disadvantage of the silly cocking mechanism or the higher Euro. The Searcy is an easy choice in my opinion.

I fogot to add that the Blaser has an aluminum frame. The Search has much stronger stainless steel.

Edited by Peterb (20/07/04 07:08 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6961

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com