Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: WR Fauneta Reintroduction

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

WR Fauneta Reintroduction
      #168456 - 26/09/10 02:39 AM

Gents,
I have been speaking to Simon Clode of Westley Richards in London, and I have sparked some exciting interest in the reintroduction of the Westley Richards Fauneta guns finally! Its been something I have been pushing for a while now. I am in the process of negotiating a deal for multiple guns with the firm as a result. There doing some testing and work up on the ammunition first, as they would like to offer the original LT bullet ammo again with the guns! The craftsmen are on board, all thats left is the CAD work and ammunition development which can take up to 24 months to get sorted out. In the meantime, if anyone should have interest in purchasing a new Fauneta in the future I encourage you to contact Simon ASAP to help get the project going. He would like to get 12 orders together. He has my commitment on several already.

His contact e-mail is: Simon Clode s.clode@westleyrichards.co.uk

Graeme Wright was there, during my visit with Simon on the telephone the last time we spoke, and Graeme is on board to do some writing on the project and so is Ross Seyfried from the DGJ. Ross owns two fauneta guns a lovely 28 bore best droplock and 20 bore.

Price range for the new offering in detachable lock design will be in the £40,000.00 region in standard engraved form.

In my view the Westley Richards Fauneta was a gun way ahead of its time, and served multiple purposes. It will be a tremendous offering from the firm to ad the weapon to its line up once again!

Edited by CptCurl (28/09/10 05:12 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: WR Fauneta Reintroduction [Re: ]
      #168459 - 26/09/10 03:11 AM

OMG, a new fauneta. I would love to get a couple of hundred of those capped bullets. General, are you going to have your portrait inlaid on your gun?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: WR Fauneta Reintroduction [Re: gatsby]
      #168462 - 26/09/10 04:04 AM

General, will they do an O/U droplock in 12 bore to regulate with H&H paradox ammo or their own proprietary load of similar ballistics. If so I may have interest, best, Mike

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168463 - 26/09/10 04:07 AM

Quote:

OMG, a new fauneta. I would love to get a couple of hundred of those capped bullets. General, are you going to have your portrait inlaid on your gun?

Thats funny. No, no portraits.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: WR Fauneta Reintroduction [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #168464 - 26/09/10 04:10 AM

Quote:

General, will they do an O/U droplock in 12 bore to regulate with H&H paradox ammo or their own proprietary load of similar ballistics. If so I may have interest, best, Mike

Mike why an O/U? You can buy a side by side in 12 bore. The WR over and under is not very attractive, and Simon has no interest in making them anymore. The new H&H ammunition has had numerous issues, so no on that as well I'm afraid. H&H dropped the ball on there new paradox in my view.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #168466 - 26/09/10 04:19 AM

What issues with the ammo General ? (O/U because I shoot shotguns better that way) best
Mike

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: WR Fauneta Reintroduction [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #168468 - 26/09/10 04:22 AM

PM sent

gatsby
.375 member

Re: WR Fauneta Reintroduction *DELETED* [Re: ]
      #168471 - 26/09/10 05:35 AM

Post deleted by gatsby

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #168474 - 26/09/10 06:40 AM

Quote:

The new H&H ammunition has had numerous issues, so no on that as well I'm afraid. H&H dropped the ball on there new paradox in my view.

generalwar - What issues would those be? Please elaborate.

I have some knowledge of the ammunition and I have shot it, or watched it shot, out of several Paradox guns and on many occasions with very good results. Guns ran the gamut from an 1888 hammer Paradox reproofed for nitro, through various Royal ejector and non-ejector Paradox from the early 1900s, all the way up to a couple of new ones built on the round action sidelock.

I have fired over 250 rounds of the new H&H factory loads and I have never experienced an errant round, misfire, failure to extract or any other problem whatsoever with the ammo. I have shot it over a chronograph, and shot it on paper at various distances. Goofing around, I've shot logs, concrete blocks, and gongs (sometimes it rips them right off the supports!). I also used the new H&H ammo to take a nice little blacktail deer at 96 paces last year. The shot hit where aimed and performance was in and out. That is consistent with what others have reported from the field.

Last August I watched thirteen shooters fire the ammo, which was provided with the cost of entry, at the H&H Paradox competition in Washington state. There were no issues at all.

I took my 1911 Royal to California a few months back and let five people shoot it with the new H&H ammo. Again, no issues.

And, recently I took the gun to a big bore shoot in Bend, Oregon. I walked the course and fired the factory ammunition at life size targets that were charging, popping up, swinging, and stationary. The ammo performed flawlessly. I wish I could say the same for myself.

Nevertheless, if you have first-hand knowledge of issues or complaints, I would very much like to hear what they are.

--------------------
~

DandyofPunjab
.300 member

Reged: 14/11/05
Loc: Punjab
Re: WR Fauneta Reintroduction [Re: Grenadier]
      #168475 - 26/09/10 06:47 AM

G'War,

I missed the thread earlier.

Finally you got it done Congrats! Any plans for Explora yet?

Dandy

--------------------
Fear None, Frighten None

Grenadier
.375 member

#168476 - 26/09/10 07:10 AM

Truly amazing piece of wood, gatsby.

--------------------
~

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168479 - 26/09/10 08:30 AM

Beautiful wood on that one Gatsby did you have the restocking done? I was referring to the action design and barrel lumps, I have just never been a big fan of it, not to detract from your gun in any way though.

This thread was meant for the Fauneta so I would rather discuss them instead in this case please.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168480 - 26/09/10 08:33 AM

Gren: thank you for the input, according to your experience it sounds like they got it sorted out, which is great. Ross and Simon had told me otherwise as well as a few dealers early on. I personally haven't shot the new paradox gun, nor really care to. And now back to the Faunetas..

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: WR Fauneta Reintroduction [Re: DandyofPunjab]
      #168481 - 26/09/10 08:36 AM

Quote:

G'War,

I missed the thread earlier.

Finally you got it done Congrats! Any plans for Explora yet?

Dandy

Thanks Dandy there's a lot of excitement at Westley's about it. I'm very delighted as well. Im trying to figure out engraving and particulars on the guns now. I'm sure the Explora guns will see a reintroduction as well, all though I haven't spoken to him about that. Your welcome to inquire to Simon directly.

gatsby
.375 member

#168483 - 26/09/10 08:51 AM

Will the ammo be to the original specs 1500fps?

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168484 - 26/09/10 08:56 AM

Quote:

I was told they plan to remake the ammunition to exact specs and are using old Fauneta ammunition to dissect and build upon, while utilizing the famed LT capped bullets. Simon had told me if they build the gun they also want to supply all the ammunition for there customers. Ross has worked up some very good loads with his 20 and 28 and has been casting his own LT bullets for some time now, he will be involved Im sure on the particulars through development.

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
      #168502 - 26/09/10 12:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was told they plan to remake the ammunition to exact specs and are using old Fauneta ammunition to dissect and build upon, while utilizing the famed LT capped bullets. Simon had told me if they build the gun they also want to supply all the ammunition for there customers. Ross has worked up some very good loads with his 20 and 28 and has been casting his own LT bullets for some time now, he will be involved Im sure on the particulars through development.

I strongly urge you to discuss loads with Tom Armbrust of Ballistic Research. send me a pm if you do not have his contact info.

Also, I provided Ross with XRF analysis of the LT cap metallurgy. I can provide copies of this work.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: WR Fauneta Reintroduction [Re: CommandCar]
      #168575 - 27/09/10 10:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I strongly urge you to discuss loads with Tom Armbrust of Ballistic Research. send me a pm if you do not have his contact info.

Also, I provided Ross with XRF analysis of the LT cap metallurgy. I can provide copies of this work.

Thank you my friend, its funny you mention Tom I purchased several hundred rounds from Marty Sands for some Fauneta guns of mine previously and there loads worked amazingly well. I have already passed this information along to Simon.

Grenadier
.375 member

#168578 - 27/09/10 11:46 AM

Quote:

I personally haven't shot the new paradox gun, nor really care to.

My taste in guns is a bit more cosmopolitan. I can enjoy both the W-R and H&H guns without any animosity toward one or the other.

I look forward to the reappearance of the Faunetta. I have never fired one but I know I would enjoy it. I wish you the best of luck in your project.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168582 - 27/09/10 01:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I personally haven't shot the new paradox gun, nor really care to.

My taste in guns is a bit more cosmopolitan. I can enjoy both the W-R and H&H guns without any animosity toward one or the other.

I look forward to the reappearance of the Faunetta. I have never fired one but I know I would enjoy it. I wish you the best of luck in your project.

I understand completely and thank you for your kind words. I hold no animosity towards H&H at all, I just don't fancy there new paradox model. I will post more on the Fauneta as information comes my way.

Cheers my friend.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168693 - 29/09/10 11:41 AM

In its day, the Westley Richards 20-bore Fauneta was advertised as being the most effective gun of its type, in terms of both accuracy and ranging power. It propels a 425 grain bullet at a higher rate of velocity than either a .256 Mannlicher or a British .303 rifle and was capable of grouping ten shots (firing right and left barrels alternately) within 4in. at 100 yards. In an advertisement published in 1919 the following testimonial from the Private Secretary to The Maharaja of Dhar was used to promote its effectiveness in the field:
'It will interest you to know that her Royal Highness The Maharani Sahiba of Dhar has recently shot a Tiger measuring 10ft. 4ins. with your 20-bore 'Fauneta' Ball and Shot Gun, which H.H. has been using for some time. It stopped the animal with one shot.'

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
      #168699 - 29/09/10 12:48 PM

"It propels a 425 grain bullet at a higher rate of velocity than either a .256 Mannlicher or a British .303 rifle and..."

Interesting, that is simply not true.

gatsby
.375 member

Re: WR Fauneta Reintroduction [Re: CommandCar]
      #168701 - 29/09/10 01:31 PM

Quote:

"It propels a 425 grain bullet at a higher rate of velocity than either a .256 Mannlicher or a British .303 rifle and..."

Interesting, that is simply not true.

Well... similar energies, better momentum and TKO if you are a fan of such things.

Leslie Taylor really saw the light, to make a rifle choke gun truly a gun for all game and ranges you needed a cartridge system to accommodate each situation,shot,slug and capped for longer ranges and at the velocities to make those shots possible. It sounds as if the current management of WR has bought into that philosophy as well. I am anxious to see one of the new guns although somewhat disappointed that the Ovundo will not be offered.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168735 - 30/09/10 01:27 AM

You are correct on the actual velocity's. However, the original ad meant in comparison to bullet weight the rate of velocity is higher than either cartridge. Apologies for any confusion.

The velocity of the LT cap 425 grain 20 bore bullet is 1,500fps.

303 British is roughly 2700fps for a 150 grain bullet.

256 Mannlicher is 2580fps for a 139 grain bullet.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169015 - 06/10/10 01:49 AM

Edited by CptCurl (07/10/10 08:40 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17360

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com