Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Chamois Thread

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Chamois Thread
      #168389 - 24/09/10 07:45 PM

Some living ones

Some that required my help:

One of mine:

and a story : http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=89802&an=0&page=2#Post89802

Dead nature:

Trophy

Differences on face colouration

Young:

Middle aged:

Old:

Our national record - only pic - trophy is missing since WWII:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: Chamois Thread [Re: 93mouse]
      #168392 - 24/09/10 08:19 PM

That looks like a good hunt. Nice pictures. How high up are you hunting? What calibre do you use, I presume there will be long distance shooting? //S

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Chamois Thread [Re: Sville]
      #168393 - 24/09/10 08:50 PM

Sville in my hunting concession (South of Ljubljana - we have an isolated Chamois population) the heights are between 600-1000 m a.s.l. The rest of the country - here is where the major Chamois hunting comes from is on the N - NW side of the country - in the Alps. There it goes up to almost 3.000 m a.s.l. Yes shooting distances can be rather long above forrest line (250m+) but below that it can get quite close distance stuff - especially in rut time...

Myself am using 9,3 - either 62 or 74R - but I am a stuntman . Regular calibers for Chamois would be something in 6,5mm (57, 57R, 68...) or one of the 7mm's.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Chamois Thread [Re: 93mouse]
      #168539 - 26/09/10 09:23 PM

Chamois are one of my favourite Game Animals.
Here's a pair taken whilst on a Whitetail deer hunt in New Zealand's Southern Alps.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Chamois Thread [Re: ozhunter]
      #168543 - 26/09/10 11:10 PM

Neat animal, some look like they could hang from a tree branch with those horn hooks!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Chamois Thread [Re: AspenHill]
      #168586 - 27/09/10 04:02 PM

Quote:

Neat animal, some look like they could hang from a tree branch with those horn hooks!

You are correct, these animals are a bugger to handle with those stiletto sharp horns catching onto to anything in reach.
There is a true account of an animal culling shooter here in NZ who actually got a chamois horn snagged through his boot laces as the helicopter lifted a load of animals of the mountainside and he was carried up hanging underneath the chopper. The pilot only knew the shooters predicament when he saw the shadow on the hillside of the load of animals and the shooter suspended beneath. I bet he was praying his bootlaces and the chamois horn was strong.

eagle27
.400 member

#168587 - 27/09/10 04:09 PM

Quote:

Chamois are one of my favourite Game Animals.
Here's a pair taken whilst on a Whitetail deer hunt in New Zealand's Southern Alps.

Nice animals ozhunter but a bit puzzled by your reference to whitetail deer hunting. I presume you meant hunting the whitetail deer here on Stewart Island, the only area where they were introduced and live in NZ, and the chamois in the Alps.
If hunting whitetails anywhere else in NZ they would have to be farmed which to my knowledge has never been approved by our government. They do not allow animal species to be shifted between our three main Islands.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Chamois Thread [Re: eagle27]
      #168600 - 27/09/10 09:44 PM

Nice animals ozhunter but a bit puzzled by your reference to whitetail deer hunting. I presume you meant hunting the whitetail deer here on Stewart Island, the only area where they were introduced and live in NZ,

This is incorrect. They can be found west of Queenstown.

eagle27
.400 member

#168614 - 28/09/10 04:07 AM

Quote:

Nice animals ozhunter but a bit puzzled by your reference to whitetail deer hunting. I presume you meant hunting the whitetail deer here on Stewart Island, the only area where they were introduced and live in NZ,

I stand to be corrected if this is the case. I know Fallow deer have always been in the area west of Queenstown but have never heard about whitetails, someone must have introduced them there fairly recently then. I have hunted most of our South Is animals with numerous trips to Stewart Is on whitetails, the only place you could hunt them in my time.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #168640 - 28/09/10 03:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I stand to be corrected if this is the case. I know Fallow deer have always been in the area west of Queenstown but have never heard about whitetails, someone must have introduced them there fairly recently then. I have hunted most of our South Is animals with numerous trips to Stewart Is on whitetails, the only place you could hunt them in my time.

They have been there for a long time. I remember reading about whitetails near Queenstown in the 1970's.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

eagle27
.400 member

Re: Chamois Thread [Re: NitroX]
      #168642 - 28/09/10 03:49 PM

John and Oz you are correct there are whitetails in the Glenorchy area west of Queenstown, I must admit I had never heard of them before and have never come across any hunter I know heading to that area to hunt whitetail, you live and learn something everyday. Sounds as though they are a bit restrictive to hunt there but nevertheless they are there.

For all that our Stewart Island is still the place to free hunt and get onto the trophy deer and it is a beautiful area to spend a week or two stalking and enjoying the abundant fresh fish and seafood while you are doing it.

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
      #168910 - 04/10/10 12:51 AM

Here's mine, a 14 year old Class I buck, taken in Gnadenwald near Absam / Austria.

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

eagle27
.400 member

Re: Chamois Thread [Re: André]
      #168944 - 04/10/10 04:09 PM

That's a nice old buck chamois Andre. Beautiful country in Austria, walked around the Alps and saw chamois near Namlos (I think this is how it is spelt - meaning "no name"). Was not shooting but other hunters staying in the village were and had some success.

I have a 14 year old head too but it is worn down to only stubs about 60mm long and the horn is polished and opaque in places so you can see the bone underneath. Can count eleven growth rings with the first three years rings of growth gone. While it is not a trophy in the true sense, I still value it as the animal obviously managed to elude sport hunters and the helicopter culling for all those years until I came across the buck high on a snow slope at about 200m away.

Just after shooting this one I heard another chamois whistling at me, spotted it, and managed to shoot that buck as well. It had a nice winter coat and quite good head.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#169018 - 06/10/10 02:15 AM

Well done Andre.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Chamois Thread [Re: NitroX]
      #170927 - 05/11/10 01:26 PM

Competition entries for the Save raffle ticket totalled and now closed for this thread.

Ladies and Gentlemen, thanks for joining in.

However please post more photos if you wish.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6100

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com